Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran.

Anastasis

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that could be it as well.  I don't think Trump is a war guy, he's a business man, blood is a big expense. He ain't a genius, but he does know how to wheel and deal

...how in the fuck can anyone with two functioning brain cells still believe this?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, retread said:

Return of Freedom Fries? :crossesfingers::

What was the last war we fought to actually defend our freedom?

We are told constantly that soldiers are overseas defending our freedom but that's generally horseshit. Let's start with World War II as the basis, because while there is always someone who will argue otherwise, Japan and Germany viewed themselves as threats to our freedom and we were attacked on our home soil. Done and done, that was a war fought to protect our freedom (and really to protect the world).

So somebody explain to me which conflict we've been in since then that was actually fought to defend our freedom over here. Liberty and security are not the same thing. Fighting to protect our safety is not necessarily fighting to protect our freedom. If there is an enemy we've fought that actually had any chance at the capability to conquer us and institute a new government and/or imprison us then that's clearly a threat to our collective freedom.

Was the Bay of Pigs invasion viewed as necessary to defend our freedom? Obviously in retrospect not really, but was that the thinking at the time? I need some military history folks to educate me here.

• Like 1

Good point. We're usually in the business of crushing freedom fighters and self-determination.

I don't think either Germany or Japan thought that they could occupy the USA and change it's government. I'm sure they both imagined treating with us and holding on to their empires. Their calculations were way off. We did fight to free people in that war, though.

Ironically, I wonder if you could argue that the South was fighting for freedom from the Union so that they would be free to enslave black people. The Union denied them that freedom but freed the slaves. Strange people, the Americans.

In another irony, we ran Saddam out of Kuwait to re-establish a monarch. I can't see Washington, Adams, and Jefferson cheering for that.

One might get the impression that we get into wars for blood lust and more wealth for the wealthy. We were provoked by Britain in 1812. The war against Pancho Villa was just sort of a warm up for WWII which we really didn't have a very good reason to enter.

I guess the liberation of Grenada is our great pride since WWII. 

19 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Sorry I'm not a rube who's easily manipulated by a conman into thinking that he's actually a successful businessman.  

Who said he was successful ?  I said he was a business man and his history is one of wheeling and dealing. Jesus you're like a little yorkie yapping at somebodies heels, and he has been successful, how would you say he hasn't ? (PRO TIP HINT he won the presidency.)

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a military presence in 100+ countries, because it’s good for American businesses.  We aren’t protecting democracy or spreading freedom.   We are keeping the sea lanes, airways, markets, etc. open for business.  

As for WWII, Japan felt they had to attack us.  In the 20s and 30s, we began isolating them for doing the same things the Brits were doing in India,  In 1940, we put embargoes on them for steel and scrap metal.  Mid-1941, we froze Japanese assets, and began to increase the pain through more embargoes, including cutting off Japanese access to oil, both US and British/allies.   Once the oil embargo was fully in effect, it was only a matter of time before Japan went under due to lack of oil, or were forced to seize the Dutch oil fields. And we were the only ones between them and those oil fields - FDR even gave orders to get the Pacific fleet off the West Coast and deployed in forward positions (insert conspiracy theories here).  

There has definitely been a shift in Iran's strategy for dealing with the Trump administration.  They aren't just going to wait around for the Europeans to grow a backbone, and now are going to apply pressure on Trump.  I like it.

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It's not really Trump but Pompeo and Bolton who are really responsible for this situation.  I think Trump understands at some level that this is a no-win situation for him.

He doesn’t understand anything. He installed two warmongering buffoons by accident in his revolving door of an administration. There’s no thought or strategy involved with Trump. He literally sits around and watches Fox News all day and tweets about how he’s mistreated, while the people that work for him for about 6 months do whatever they want.

#MAGA

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think there have been several other recent events where Iran may have played a role, including that rocket attack on Exxon's HQ in Basra.  I wouldn't want to be an American in Iraq right now.  

Guy that sat next to me on my Emirates flight last Saturday works for XOM and was returning from Basra, so close to home and stuff.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm just glad we have such a level headed person as president. In no way is he going to act rash and do something stupid. Nice knowing you, Iran. 

If not Iran, he's going fall ass backwards into a war with someone.

48 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

There has definitely been a shift in Iran's strategy for dealing with the Trump administration.  They aren't just going to wait around for the Europeans to grow a backbone, and now are going to apply pressure on Trump.  I like it.

So you're cheering for Iran here, correct?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:
26 minutes ago, housious said:
So you're cheering for Iran here, correct?

If we invade their country over this, 100% and without hesitation.

Makes sense. Iran is a liberal stalwart and champion of all the ideals you spend hours typing about on this forum.

Any military action against Iran would not be an "invasion" (at least I would hope) so you can keep your pom poms away. 

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

I agree.  It is sickening to believe that the people of Iran are as human as we are.  Absolutely disgusting.  

Nice to show your self jerk off sock - do you keep forgetting what account you are logged in on?

What is sickening is that you would hope that we lose Americans.  I don't care if you agree with the war or not but to hope Iran would win is absolutely fucking shit.  If you like them so much why don't you pack some fucking bags and move to Iran.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Nice to show your self jerk off sock - do you keep forgetting what account you are logged in on?

What is sickening is that you would hope that we lose Americans.  I don't care if you agree with the war or not but to hope Iran would win is absolutely fucking shit.  If you like them so much why don't you pack some fucking bags and move to Iran.    

He's a shitty poster but he also didn't explicitly say he hopes Americans die. But since you're basing it on deaths, please explain to me why American military lives are inherently more valuable than Iranian lives (a non-zero number of which would be civilians). In your case a lot of it has to do with serving in the Armed Forces, knowing current military personnel, etc.

But from an objective perspective, why are American soldiers' lives more valuable than Iranian lives?

Stop and actually think about it. War fucking sucks. While Fozzz in particular is just a troll, I have a feeling that bad_teammate's perspective is based on that notion. And if we agree that war fucking sucks then it is not an inherently faulty position to hope that the defenders defeat invaders in any particular war as that is more likely to reduce the future number of wars.

Me personally, I hope nobody dies and the two little dick administrations stop being middle school dipshits.

• Like 3

Man this makes me fucking ragey. Trump puts two of the biggest warmongers in the world in positions of power in his administration and it takes them about a year to get us to the ledge of a massive war while the president golfs, watches TV and tweets. 

Go snap up some RTN and XOM shares, the neocons are back baby and the war business is booming again! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He's a shitty poster but he also didn't explicitly say he hopes Americans die. But since you're basing it on deaths, please explain to me why American military lives are inherently more valuable than Iranian lives (a non-zero number of which would be civilians). In your case a lot of it has to do with serving in the Armed Forces, knowing current military personnel, etc.

But from an objective perspective, why are American soldiers' lives more valuable than Iranian lives?

Stop and actually think about it. War fucking sucks. While Fozzz in particular is just a troll, I have a feeling that bad_teammate's perspective is based on that notion. And if we agree that war fucking sucks then it is not an inherently faulty position to hope that the defenders defeat invaders in any particular war as that is more likely to reduce the future number of wars.

Me personally, I hope nobody dies and the two little dick administrations stop being middle school dipshits.

Iran has been quite cautious and has bent over backwards for the Europeans to rectify the mess the US created, yet they are one of "two little dick administrations."  The US is the bad actor here and there is no reason to both sides this situation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Iran has been quite cautious and has bent over backwards for the Europeans to rectify the mess the US created, yet they are one of "two little dick administrations."  The US is the bad actor here and there is no reason to both sides this situation.

This would be a much more persuasive argument if Iran stopped supporting Hezbollah.

Just sayin'.

27 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Fozz is a better poster than 90% of the people here who are all saying the same, basic-bitch centrist bullshit at each other about tax advantaged savings accounts for PTSD treatment and making sure we have more LGBT private prison wardens.

32 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Well you can fuck off you piece of shit.  

How loud was Toby Keith playing when you posted this?

If we invade a sovereign nation because they shot down a pathetic toy that we sent into their space in provocation, I hope we are expelled, because we would be wrong and we would be the bad guys. I am against hostile invasions of sovereign nations. This nation I live in is cool and I don't want to live anywhere else, but we aren't blameless, and fuck the centrist patriots who only realize we did something wrong AFTER thousands of innocent people get wiped.

CNN was on at the gym this morning, and watching it mute was amazing. They were showing pictures of drones in that slow-pan/slow-fade fashion as if they were showing pictures of a dead soldier. The chiron was something like "Iran Shoots Down US Drone Amid Rising Tensions" or some shit.

We are marching towards another war, and morons like you will help pave the way. Congratulations, dipshit.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

This would be a much more persuasive argument if Iran stopped supporting Hezbollah.

Just sayin'.

although those are two wholly different issues - ie Gulf interests vs. Israeli interests.  Hezbollah isn't much of anything, but hyped by the pro Israeli media as a huge threat to the US / West. They are nothing really, a few thousand militiamen that can be utterly crushed by the IDF in 3-4 weeks if they really wanted to.  Remember Israel occupied Lebanon for 18 years, 1982-2000, and there was nothing Syria or Hezbollah could do about it.