Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran.

Anastasis

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

With an easily manipulated moron in the White House, Bolton and Pompeo may be the most dangerous people on the planet right now.

Hopefully somebody, the Pentagon, whoever, mentioned to Trump that a few hundred dead Americans is going to knock some points off his historical poll numbers, and put him in an even deeper hole when it comes to winning 2020. .  Not being cold-blooded about the troops, just pointing out that Trump cares more about ratings than anything else.   Or maybe I should say that’s all he understands.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Many posters here will rend their garments in rage no matter what, strike or no strike. 

I don't care how late he arrived at the decision to hold back from escalating the incident.  It was the right decision. 

Mr. Trump’s national security advisers split about whether to respond militarily. Senior administration officials said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; John R. Bolton, the national security adviser; and Gina Haspel, the C.I.A. director, had favored a military response. But top Pentagon officials cautioned that such an action could result in a spiraling escalation with risks for American forces in the region.

tenor.gif?itemid=4614172

So a reversal of what happened in the Cuban Missile Crisis. The Pentagon being the peace maker is something alarming.

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

If there's one man I want as President when it comes to understanding the strategic complexities of this situation as well as the geopolitical ramifications and then to initiate and  command a military response,  it's Donald Trump. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hopefully somebody, the Pentagon, whoever, mentioned to Trump that a few hundred dead Americans is going to knock some points off his historical poll numbers

Maybe Hope Hicks finally answered one of his calls and told him to stand down.

6 hours ago, housious said:

I definitely don’t support a war with Iran. But isn’t prohibiting a war with Iran, like, really stupid? Or am I missing something here?

Prohibiting an entirely preventable and unjustifiable war led by a weak executive with no credibility or ability to gain allies prior to conflict is “really stupid”? You and I have a different view of this thing. 

9 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I hate to break it to you, but we aren't going to war with Iran.

yup Putin already gave him his stand down orders.  The timing was just amazing.  Putin gets to back Iran and be the voice of reason while our chicken little runs around like a tired toddler.  So damn tired of winning so hard

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hopefully somebody, the Pentagon, whoever, mentioned to Trump that a few hundred dead Americans is going to knock some points off his historical poll numbers, and put him in an even deeper hole when it comes to winning 2020. .  Not being cold-blooded about the troops, just pointing out that Trump cares more about ratings than anything else.   Or maybe I should say that’s all he understands.  

Meh. He's going to use it to rally the troops, so to speak, like Bush did.  "Can't change leadership in the middle of the war!" 

It won't be the Don Jrs, Erics or Iconos of the US going to fight. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Just a reminder as we're about to go to war, we don't really have a Secretary of Defense and the guy filling that seat is straight from the military industrial complex. And apparently the Pentagon is the one urging caution here.

We're so fucked. 

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

It’s like a shitty Tom Clancy movie of the week.

Thank God Trump won the Republican primary in 2016.  He's the only thing standing in the way of a war that could be much worse than our invasion of Iraq.

13 minutes ago, Loco said:

yup Putin already gave him his stand down orders.  The timing was just amazing.  Putin gets to back Iran and be the voice of reason while our chicken little runs around like a tired toddler.  So damn tired of winning so hard

If this is true, then it just goes to show that what this country needs is more Russian meddling, not less.

• Like 1

Iran can put an immense amount of pressure on the KSA by having proxies target their desalination plants.  

A Saudi desalination plant was struck by a missile that appeared to come from within Yemen, according to a senior U.S. official.

It wasn’t clear if there were any casualties in the attack, the official said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-plant-struck-by-missile-apparently-from-yemen-11560998852

All things considered, the Iranians should be the ones worried about their passenger jets. 
We've suspended BOM flights until further notice.

Even though the drone was within "international" airspace if another country's drone came that close to Galveston there wouldn't be enough pieces left to recover. We are so stupid sometimes.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Loco said:

Nailed it.  Putin gets another opportunity to clown us and claim some perception of a moral high ground.

Random thought from a colleague of mine:

These drones are capable of flying at tens of thousands of feet and are supposed to be difficult to detect, much less shoot down.  And suddenly Iran bags two of them within the last couple of weeks?  

I'm not usually a conspiracy guy, but isn't this a little suspicious?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I heard this morning that the drone that was shot down didn't have stealth or countermeasure capabilities. Seems like that $200 million could have better use in our school systems or infrastructure or......

It is curious to me that they chose to fly it along that route, having to know that there was a good chance the Iranians were going to swat it.  Maybe just a miscalculation on our part...or maybe someone down the chain of command wanted to force the issue on Trump?  

Edited by Fozzz

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Random thought from a colleague of mine:

These drones are capable of flying at tens of thousands of feet and are supposed to be difficult to detect, much less shoot down.  And suddenly Iran bags two of them within the last couple of weeks?  

I'm not usually a conspiracy guy, but isn't this a little suspicious?

Two of them? Are you sure about that?

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Prohibiting an entirely preventable and unjustifiable war led by a weak executive with no credibility or ability to gain allies prior to conflict is “really stupid”? You and I have a different view of this thing. 

The entire point is that it might not always be unjustifiable. At this point it is, obviously. But doesn't prohibiting it simply destroy our leverage give Iran free reign to do whatever the fuck they want? 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So he ordered military action without asking how many people will die? But hey, I’m glad he remembered to ask!

Hey may not have ordered anything and the story could be BS to save face for Trump.  

This is a good piece and consistent with the thoughts I have expressed in itt.

2 minutes ago, housious said:

The entire point is that it might not always be unjustifiable. At this point it is, obviously. But doesn't prohibiting it simply destroy our leverage give Iran free reign to do whatever the fuck they want? 

This deal is an arson setting a house ablaze then being the first one on the scene to put it out. 

Trump has a pattern of creating acute tension and crises himself then attempts to claim credit for solving them when he backs down.  It's pathologic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Isn't this a review of how he created a crisis that he now wants to take credit for solving except that it isn't solved?

When he took office, we were miles away from armed conflict with Iran. He takes steps that make Iran (correctly) believe that the US is making war on them through economic means.

Iran responds by attacking economic targets. We come just short of blasting 150 Iranians to bits in a raid inside their borders.

Heroic Donald Trump calls off the strike.

It's all crazy. Absolute insanity.

Then we talk about the actions of a shit-hurling monkey president as though they are actually policies. They're not. They're disastrous impulses based on astonishing ignorance.

And he won a national election.

Mouth agape.

• Like 6