Disgruntled Public Utilities Engineer Shoots up Virginia Beach Operations Building

G650

7 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Not sure how to put this eloquently, but after watching what my Mom went through, quickly succumbing to leukemia, I wonder if this is a better way to go.

Sorry for your loss G.

Yeah, I had the same thought. Just the cruelty of it all is hard to fathom. I've had a couple acquaintances succumb to it, not pretty. 

57 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I have to fire someone next week. Now I see why HR says an option is sending them home for a week and on FRI delivering a certified letter not to come back.

Just a note, always fire someone on Monday.

you don’t want them sitting around all weekend dwelling on shit. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

That depends if you want to do their work for a week...

It's not like they're starting a new job on Tue if they get fired on Mon.  They're probably sitting at home doing this...

9swe8k.gif

Maybe, I don’t know but I went to a management conference to go over some law changes and that was a point the guy brought up. He said that research showed that if you fire them on Monday most people will start looking for another job that week where people fired on the weekend usually take the next week off. 

It’s a rule to keep former employees from coming in and making a scene. Not sure it matters in this case. If you’re so close to the edge that you might shoot up the place, then I doubt hearing the news on different days would tip it differently.

28 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Once you fire them everyday is a weekend to dwell. I don’t think it matters to someone that is so messed up to do something like this 

Edited by EuroHorn

37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I can’t imagine how fragile the mind  is of someone who would kill anyone, much less a dozen people over getting fired. I’ve never been fired or laid off but I can’t even imagine it being traumatic to the point of violence.  

Being unemployed your entire life doesn’t count as “not getting fire” bra...😉

• Haha 1

Am I the only one that hates this half-staff flag stuff that is rolled out every time that some numb-nut crazy fucker acts stupid with a gun?  I 'd prefer that we not give these guys so much attention.

Half-Staff Alert - Immediately through June 4, 2019
ENTIRE UNITED STATES

Our Nation grieves with those affected by the tragic shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Americans unite in praying for God to comfort the injured and heal the wounded. May God be with the victims and bring aid and comfort to their families and friends. As a mark of solemn respect for the victims of the terrible act of violence perpetrated on May 31, 2019, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, June 4, 2019. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations. 

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand nineteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred forty-third. is to order that the flag of the Commonwealth of Virginia is to be flown at half-staff over the state Capitol and all local, state, and federal buildings and grounds to honor the victims of the attack in Virginia Beach, Virginia, on May 31, 2019.

DONALD J TRUMP

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't like the media attention that fuels more attacks like this.  I can't say we need to ignore them, but the wall to wall, breaking news, coverage schtick is really making the situation worse.  Just my $.02.

I'm with you

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Media saying he had resigned Friday morning, then came back to shoot?

WaPo story

That could be correct. Or he quit before being fired. 

I have purposefully unplugged the past two days from this.

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah, Bert Snelling.   Hate it for you, and them.   Just another “hits close to home” example 

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that man. Bert was the only non city employee, just a contractor like me in there getting a permit. 

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that man. Bert was the only non city employee, just a contractor like me in there getting a permit. 

Yeah, heard about that.  It’s hard when you’ve never met someone, but one of your best friends is cratered because of the madness.   Shit just sucks.  Feel for you, and my friends, and the families/community.  Just wicked people

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sounds like he resigned & was in no imminent danger of being fired or laid off.

It's all hearsay at this moment, but that isn't what his co-workers are saying. I've seen what the national media is reporting, and it may very well be the case, but there's a lot left to come out I think.

On 6/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, RomaVicta said:

We'll never get to any bit of truth about these incidents unless we look beyond the simple. I know nothing about this killer, but I'd feel like an idiot claiming it all happened because he was disgruntled and got fired. If those were actual motives, there'd hardly be anybody left in the US.

Hell, they're all disgruntled! I ain't runnin' a damn daisy farm!

So I've talked to enough people around the city that I'm fairly certain that the city is trotting out this line about his clean record to try and minimize the civil suit coming their way. I've heard some incredibly fucked up stuff.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

About the shooter?

Yes

4 minutes ago, thestud said:

Could you be a little more vague please

Probably.

I mean I am not going to list every bit of hearsay, but enough of a pattern has emerged that I'm pretty confident this guy was off and everyone knew it for a long time.

Also found out he was targeting another city employee I know well but couldn't find her thankfully.

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yes

Probably.

I mean I am not going to list every bit of hearsay, but enough of a pattern has emerged that I'm pretty confident this guy was off and everyone knew it for a long time.

Also found out he was targeting another city employee I know well but couldn't find her thankfully.

Damn, issues seemed to be there, but no one raises a red flag.  Seems there needs to be something constructive that comes out of this like mandatory reviews when red flags appear. How that happens I have no idea, but there has to be a protocol plan that someone has designed somewhere that would cover employees showing signs of mental issues.  

It's going to get to the point where you need to be rung in to all buildings by an armed guard, and pass thru a metal detector.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Yes

Probably.

so he was encouraged to wear more flair seek employment elsewhere, but not fired?

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

so he was encouraged to wear more flair seek employment elsewhere, but not fired?

I've heard various accounts. Not sure enough to stake my life on the exact details.

One thing that I'm pretty sure about is he applied for a job higher up and didn't get it, and the city didn't try and keep him when he resigned.

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Those who like bangs that aren’t too loud. I love mine because I can shoot without hearing pro.

Yeah, I know I know, but ear plugs or head sets do the same thing. I use both.  I equate silencers with bump stocks because of the potential for people to abuse them very easily. No silencer and chances are there wouldn't have been as many fatalities.  Our gun situation is getting really stupidly bad.  Don't wanna CR this thread,  but it's getting worse.

Kate Nixon considered taking a gun to work on May 31, the day a co-worker killed her and 11 others in the country's deadliest mass shooting this year, an attorney for her family said on a radio show this afternoon.

The public utilities engineer was concerned about DeWayne Craddock, "as well as one other person," said Kevin Martingayle, an attorney working with Nixon's family. 

If I ever have a job where I consider bringing a gun to work because of *TWO* co-workers, I'm finding a new fucking job.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I disagree. Within an enclosed space, like an office building, it is still loud as shit. Cans are very rarely used in crimes.

Well, several people had said they had no idea there was even anyone in there shooting until the cops guns went off

They aren’t silencers.  They’re still plenty loud.  And they are very rarely used in crimes because they make it more difficult to conceal and more difficult to maneuver.  Their only purpose is hearing protection unless you’re shooting subsonic ammo.  Then they are pretty quiet.  

I very, very seriously doubt his use of a suppressor added to the body count.  

I use a can shooting a couple rifles with kids on the range because it’s  kind of nice being able to talk and give instructions without having to tell people to take their hearing protection out.  Safer for everyone too.  

I don’t know what those people heard.  But I know when hunting i can very clearly hear someone shooting suppressed when they are 800 yards away.  

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

For reference, most people compare shooting a handgun with a can to a nail gun. It's actually several times louder than a nail gun and about midway between a nailgun and an unsuppressed pistol. So still plenty loud. Probably still loud enough to make your ears ring for a while if shot indoors. 

Nail guns are definitely quieter than a hand gun, but still pretty damn loud.