Disgruntled Public Utilities Engineer Shoots up Virginia Beach Operations Building

G650

I appreciate all the wishes. I just feel for the families impacted by this.

The word is it's a long time PU engineer that did this, so I'm sure I know who it is, just haven't heard the name yet.

First time my mom has actually had to text me during one of those things to ask where I was. Jfc.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit, sorry, man.  I tend to cross paths with many folks in your field -- just regular folks, doing their jobs.  There but for the grace of God and all that, man.  Glad you are okay.  Sickened that many aren't.

Thanks Brisket. 

I just want to be clear I'm not a city employee, I'm a contractor who does utilities and grading work for the city.

One of my former employees works in PU now, I actually saw him today. He is ok fortunately. 

well fuck, 

This hits home, yet afuckin'gain...  Sucks for all involved.  Shit will never be the same there again.  It's amazing to think that the Va Beach I grew up in would have a mass shooting.  Well folks this can happen anywhere...  Just wow

My father is getting older now, he still lives in Va Beach and he worked for the city as a PE, and with them a lot latter when he was in the private sector.  He used to know everyone...  better call him up and see how he's doing.

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wow...think this is a shaggy/surly first. the mom text would be surreal since these all seem like theyd happen in a movie. glad youre fine, G

Thanks man.

It's definitely surreal here. I still haven't processed it to be honest. 

20190601-071149.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loco said:

well fuck, 

This hits home, yet afuckin'gain...  Sucks for all involved.  Shit will never be the same there again.  It's amazing to think that the Va Beach I grew up in would have a mass shooting.  Well folks this can happen anywhere...  Just wow

My father is getting older now, he still lives in Va Beach and he worked for the city as a PE, and with them a lot latter when he was in the private sector.  He used to know everyone...  better call him up and see how he's doing.

The hardest part about this is not that its VB, but in a place I'm at all the time with people I've known for 30+ years. There's just so many connections it's hard for me to unravel right now. My wife is even friends with some of the ER nurses who were treating the victims. 

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

The hardest part about this is not that its VB, but in a place I'm at all the time with people I've known for 30+ years. There's just so many connections it's hard for me to unravel right now. My wife is even friends with some of the ER nurses who were treating the victims. 

Yeah,  That's gonna suck on so many levels. I'm sorry for you and your family, friends and neighbors.

I'm well and truly removed from the community by both time and distance.  The shocking thing for me is that my thoughts about the city are that it's a very safe place... it's were I had the best free-range childhood I could imagine.  Sure domestic issues might and will happen, some sailors on leave my get in some fights... but the idea of a nutjob going on a shooting spree in Va Beach is about the same as a shooting spree in Mayberry, it's just not a rough and tumble place in my mind (or in the present I suspect).  When I go back, I'm shocked at how friendly and circumspect people are..  and that I've morphed into a callus asshole.  Hardly seems like the setting for a killing spree.  Just shocked, sad, pissed that a "safe place" ain't so safe anymore.  Meanwhile in S Florida we had a bar fight At Blue Martini in the Galleria end in a gun fight (2 dead 1 injured) and that barely made the news here.  That was 2 miles from my house in a really nice part of town...  but it's not unexpected here, so not shocking.  But not there...FUCK maybe I'm naive.

Edited by Loco
  • Like 2

One of the killed, Bobby Williams had been with the city 40 years. He had terminal leukemia, and had retired from head of civil inspections and had been given a job called "special projects" just so he could ride it out. To then get fucking shot? Christ.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

One of the killed, Bobby Williams had been with the city 40 years. He had terminal leukemia, and had retired from head of civil inspections and had been given a job called "special projects" just so he could ride it out. To then get fucking shot? Christ.

I didn't need to read that.  Jesus.

30 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yeah,  That's gonna suck on so many levels. I'm sorry for you and your family, friends and neighbors.

I'm well and truly removed from the community by both time and distance.  The shocking thing for me is that my thoughts about the city are that it's a very safe place... it's were I had the best free-range childhood I could imagine.  Sure domestic issues might and will happen, some sailors on leave my get in some fights... but the idea of a nutjob going on a shooting spree in Va Beach is about the same as a shooting spree in Mayberry, it's just not a rough and tumble place in my mind (or in the present I suspect).  When I go back, I'm shocked at how friendly and circumspect people are..  and that I've morphed into a callus asshole.  Hardly seems like the setting for a killing spree.  Just shocked, sad, pissed that a "safe place" ain't so safe anymore.  Meanwhile in S Florida we had a bar fight At Blue Martini in the Galleria end in a gun fight (2 dead 1 injured) and that barely made the news here.  That was 2 miles from my house in a really nice part of town...  but it's not unexpected here, so not shocking.  But not there...FUCK maybe I'm naive.

It is still a very safe bucolic place in general. We grew up about the same time ( I think you are 4 or 5 years older?), so I know what you mean. It's a completely different place than it was for sure. The small town is gone, and we are the most populous city in Virginia now. But there is also the  small town within the city, and this basically hit the heart of that.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Bobby is the bottom left picture. Top left above him is Rich Nettleton

This is what should be important.... The names of the victims.   NOT the shooter.   I wish they would keep that out of the news.   Stop giving those fuckers publicity.    But shout the names of the victims from the rooftops and tell us about their lives, their families and the good they did.

• Like 3

The coverage of these things is so simple minded. "Disgruntled" worker. Somebody is disgruntled when you have a fender bender or their cable is turned off by mistake.

Also, watching the idiots on CNN trying to track down if the murderer had been recently fired to explain motive. Really? Getting fired is motive for slaughter?

We'll never get to any bit of truth about these incidents unless we look beyond the simple. I know nothing about this killer, but I'd feel like an idiot claiming it all happened because he was disgruntled and got fired. If those were actual motives, there'd hardly be anybody left in the US.

Look at the pictures of the victims. How would killing the ladies on the top row fit motives of disgruntlement or anguish over being fired? 

This is more sick fuckery that our media keep trying to funnel analysis into gun control and facile psychology. There is so much more to consider.

We'll get hoarse expressing sincere sorrow for the victims and survivors before we get any nearer to even a framework for how to look at these increasing numbers of mass murders.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion on the matter, but me and other people who knew this guy would basically characterize it as a guy who was pissed at being fired.

I think you are downplaying the fact that some people are ill-equipped to deal with life, and yes, something as simple as getting fired is enough to put them in a place to do something like this.

People get fired every day all over the world, and move on. That's normal human behavior. But some can't. Obviously there's serious issues here, but those issues can be as simple as the inability to deal with whatever situation triggered it. It doesnt necessarily have to be some greater overarching thing.

Not sure how to put this eloquently, but after watching what my Mom went through, quickly succumbing to leukemia, I wonder if this is a better way to go.

Sorry for your loss G.