Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

30 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

There’s no way the city council doesn’t know how wrong they were to unleash this mess. What’s their direct motivation for egregiously subverting the overall wellbeing of Austin?

NIMBYism. Real solutions are opposed at every turn by homeowners.

2 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Interesting. Can you expound on that a bit.

Homeowners and neighborhoods don't want housing or shelters for the homeless built near them. It's the perfect example of NIMBYism and it makes it extremely difficult to come up with solutions for getting the homeless off the street.

• Like 1

Homeowners and neighborhoods don't want housing or shelters for the homeless built near them. It's the perfect example of NIMBYism and it makes it extremely difficult to come up with solutions for getting the homeless off the street.

Yeah, but what is the city council’s direct motivation for egregiously subverting the overall well being of Austin with a non solution such as what we’re seeing now?

Just now, Texas_Rocks said:

Yeah, but what is the city council’s direct motivation for egregiously subverting the overall well being of Austin with a non solution such as what we’re seeing now?

I don't know. I haven't read the minutes or really paid that much attention because it doesn't bother me.

9 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

They are going to get re-elected and if they create a problem, they can get more money and cooperation to fix the problem.

You are right, it's curious that a self-applauding population like the progressives of Central/South Austin can't get over themselves when thinking about how much they care about homelessness issues.  And when the time comes to deliver a housing solution, these folks run for the hills.  Literally.  But try and separate out the two debates taking place on the Ben White property.  Many are concerned with the new element that will be introduced to the area, perhaps rightfully so.  A smaller portion of us are just absolutely dumbfounded at what a bizarre real estate transaction this was, how quickly it was done (and unnecessarily so), and how obfuscated Council kept that HOA and those schools during the turbo'd process.  

Travis County just took down an $8.0 property for $8.5 to house the CAD groups.  Now this is somewhat apples and oranges but it was a reasonable price, a long close, some contingencies baked in, and they can even rent a bit of the space out to a coffee shop and parking vendor.  They engaged stakeholders for a decent amount of time.  Just strip away your self-awarded medals for who cares about the homeless more, and pretend this was City of Austin buying a building to house accounting or personnel...this transaction would be above the fold news for incompetence.  Not the purpose of the space, we all want to help!  Okay, so drop that shit yesterday.  I'm talking about the actual transaction.  It is beyond the pale for stupidity.  Ann Kitchen will have to answer for this, but all she has to do is repeat what the mayor says, "We have to move swiftly and boldly."  And you dumbfucks will think, "Yeah, that makes sense.  Maybe we should give her more money."  It's not about the homeless you fucking children.  Look at every facet of this deal/transaction.  It's insane how dumb it is.  It has kickback/corruption all over it.  They literally do not even attempt shit like this in Chicago.  That should tell you something.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You are right, it's curious that a self-applauding population like the progressives of Central/South Austin can't get over themselves when thinking about how much they care about homelessness issues.  And when the time comes to deliver a housing solution, these folks run for the hills.  Literally.  But try and separate out the two debates taking place on the Ben White property.  Many are concerned with the new element that will be introduced to the area, perhaps rightfully so.  A smaller portion of us are just absolutely dumbfounded at what a bizarre real estate transaction this was, how quickly it was done (and unnecessarily so), and how obfuscated Council kept that HOA and those schools during the turbo'd process.  

Travis County just took down an $8.0 property for $8.5 to house the CAD groups.  Now this is somewhat apples and oranges but it was a reasonable price, a long close, some contingencies baked in, and they can even rent a bit of the space out to a coffee shop and parking vendor.  They engaged stakeholders for a decent amount of time.  Just strip away your self-awarded medals for who cares about the homeless more, and pretend this was City of Austin buying a building to house accounting or personnel...this transaction would be above the fold news for incompetence.  Not the purpose of the space, we all want to help!  Okay, so drop that shit yesterday.  I'm talking about the actual transaction.  It is beyond the pale for stupidity.  Ann Kitchen will have to answer for this, but all she has to do is repeat what the mayor says, "We have to move swiftly and boldly."  And you dumbfucks will think, "Yeah, that makes sense.  Maybe we should give her more money."  It's not about the homeless you fucking children.  Look at every facet of this deal/transaction.  It's insane how dumb it is.  It has kickback/corruption all over it.  They literally do not even attempt shit like this in Chicago.  That should tell you something.  

Then they should be easy to defeat in the next election.

Well yeah, Mayor Adler will be pretty easy to beat in the next election considering he's not running.  Kitchen can't run for Council either.  When I learned of her plans, I thought she'd be easy to beat, but considering how much of the City thinks she's come kind of real estate visionary...now I'm not so sure.  Ellis, Cronk or Flannigan should run, but they won't.  So that basically removes any chance we have of intelligent leadership.  

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well yeah, Mayor Adler will be pretty easy to beat in the next election considering he's not running.  Kitchen can't run for Council either.  When I learned of her plans, I thought she'd be easy to beat, but considering how much of the City thinks she's come kind of real estate visionary...now I'm not so sure.  Ellis, Cronk or Flannigan should run, but they won't.  So that basically removes any chance we have of intelligent leadership.  

There's your chance. Dip that toe in the water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

This is the same issue in Dallas. It's why the homeless problem in Austin is just something yall need to embrace and get used to as the new normal. Drive by the bridge homeless shelter and the area looks like a total dump. Neighborhoods in the area would rather have the homeless spread around from deep ellum to uptown all the way to lovers lane than have a shelter in their backyard that will hurt their property value. Trust me when I tell you that this homeless ordinance is coming to DFW very soon. Lots of folks will be upset but they'll be outnumbered by the NIMBYs.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Flannigan might. Tovo seems likely to get drafted, Kitchen almost certainly will, and I would watch Delia Garza as well. I would be happy with Flannigan or Garza. 

There will also be at least one major, well-funded, traditional business community approved candidate that is not on the council, and those candidates usually win. (4.5/6 of the last Mayors)

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I have a proposed solution.  The city should take all the money it's spending on the homeless and redirect it to build a big brewery/distillery out by the Tito's place and the F1 track.  Move all the homeless out there, they can grow the hops and grain and do all the brewing themselves.  Any excess product they don't consume could be sold to the public. Label it Bum Fu Ale, or Hobo Hops or something.  If weed were legalized they could grow that too.  A sort of self-contained den of vice.  Call it Big Rock Candy Mountain.

They can pay me $5,000,000 for my 25 acres just a block west of the F1 track, then move 1,500 affordable portables out there to house all the hardcore homeless and build communal latrines & showers. That would be cheaper than the 100 bed ripoff the council wants to buy in South Austin. Then for the anticipated $2,000,000 annual maintenance fee the city can bus the various health& support groups out there to service the new community. There is a 50 acre field next to mine that would be available for little garden plots for the weed growers.

22 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

They can pay me $5,000,000 for my 25 acres just a block west of the F1 track, then move 1,500 affordable portables out there to house all the hardcore homeless and build communal latrines & showers. That would be cheaper than the 100 bed ripoff the council wants to buy in South Austin. Then for the anticipated $2,000,000 annual maintenance fee the city can bus the various health& support groups out there to service the new community. There is a 50 acre field next to mine that would be available for little garden plots for the weed growers.

in all seriousness the issue there isn't the space, as I said before. It's the zoning and land use policy in locations that are both served with transit and have access to services. It's not a financial problem. It's a citizen hostility to housing problem. That's what makes community first unusual. It's literally in the only place it could go that checked the boxes. 
That's why the San Antonio solution isn't viable in Austin. In San Antonio they give a shit and make places to put people they take off the street. We do not. That's the issue. 

Nobody thinks homeless people camping in underpasses is a good thing. But making it a crime only forces the most vulnerable population in our city live in a perpetual state of fear and victimization by criminal predators in the woods. 

If you want people out from the underpass and off the sidewalk you'll give a couple bucks to Mobile Loaves and Fishes and tell your councilmember to support land use reform. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Flannigan might. Tovo seems likely to get drafted, Kitchen almost certainly will, and I would watch Delia Garza as well. I would be happy with Flannigan or Garza. 

There will also be at least one major, well-funded, traditional business community approved candidate that is not on the council, and those candidates usually win. (4.5/6 of the last Mayors)

Welp, so much for Garza- looks like she’s being strongly encouraged to run for County Attorney. The field clearing for the Mayors race appears to have begun.

Young woman stabbed, thankfully not fatally (though she is hospitalized), in broad daylight at 8th & Neches.  Mayor Adler said repeatedly, "We need to act swiftly and boldly"  In lieu of mental health and addiction assistance, there is a violet trash bag program in place.  Which I can only assume will come as great comfort to this victim.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Young woman stabbed, thankfully not fatally (though she is hospitalized), in broad daylight at 8th & Neches.  Mayor Adler said repeatedly, "We need to act swiftly and boldly"  In lieu of mental health and addiction assistance, there is a violet trash bag program in place.  Which I can only assume will come as great comfort to this victim.  

Violet really is a wonderful accent color for blood. And urine. And feces. Way to go Mr. Mayor!

Edited by Fuck Tim Beck

Obviously horrible, but they chose to gloss over the guy at Ohlen that didn’t even use fireworks, just doused 100 feet of access road curb and set it ablaze 

Nah, he’s alright. For example, he’s pretty easy to contact for people in his district and his staff is ridiculously helpful. He answers texts, returns calls personally when needed, etc. and the staff is constantly handling this or that tiny quality of life issue for the people they represent. He’s extremely active and energetic(like he never seems to sleep) almost comically earnest and idealistic in a way that makes sometimes makes older constituents sentimental for their own youth.

His staff is the same way.

Who is your council person and how easy would it be for you to spend some time with? Do you think that there’s at least some cynical calculus that goes into the policies they support and the legislation they advance and the people they appoint??

I’m not saying you should agree with Cesar. But whatever you think of him, he is what he presents himself as and comes by it honestly, at least for now.

• Like 1

Saw my first altercation between the newly freed to camp where they please and a tax payer. Post office on Far West... dude camped out with sleeping bag under awning near front door....I assume a fellow northwest hills citizen yelling at him to get the f out. NW Hills Dude’s wife had to pull him away as the two were yelling at each other.

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Saw my first altercation between the newly freed to camp where they please and a tax payer. Post office on Far West... dude camped out with sleeping bag under awning near front door....I assume a fellow northwest hills citizen yelling at him to get the f out. NW Hills Dude’s wife had to pull him away as the two were yelling at each other.

If you don't punch down, the stinky bums win.

Good for the responsible homeowner.

Every social worker, mental health professional, and addiction therapist will tell you that the very first step on the road to recovery is fecal-filled tent on hot asphalt.  It's recovery 101.  

Every social worker, mental health professional, and addiction therapist will tell you that the very first step on the road to recovery is fecal-filled tent on hot asphalt.  It's recovery 101.  

Oh, No. recovery takes treatment and support. But the people of Austin are too indifferent to allow that to happen anywhere in the city, so now you have to look at them.

Yeah, that was kinda my point.  Are you going to honestly suggest that Austin won't support the treatment and support of these folks?  Bullshit aside, and I probably like Repubilcans about as much as you do...do we honestly not see a trend that the 6 most liberal cities in the United States also fail to meet the basic human needs of their homeless populations?  

Bullshit aside, if you think Austin is indifferent...what the fuck hope is there for places in Florida, Arizona, Oklahoma, Dallas, et. al?  

On 7/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think there’s a good chance Flannigan runs. He has pretty good relationships in the business community, but not enough that someone else couldn’t solidify that base.