Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

I try to avoid call the cops at all costs but almost did yesterday. One of the squeegee guys near Caesar Chavez and 35 was messed up on something. Screaming and cussing out everybody in their cars. Started  acting like he was going to break this lady’s driver window with his pole (not that one) when the light turned green and she gunned it. 

Drove past the arch on 7th today around 6:00 and it looked like a laundry truck exploded. Clothes everywhere.

49 minutes ago, Jim Tom Pinch said:

Holy shit. Who are the idiots who came up with this idea?

Someone who sees backlash and prays that it can be mitigated if the homeless prove themselves to be neat, tidy, responsible neighbors working for the betterment of their lives but also for the betterment of the community as a whole - ya know.... a dumbass.

Kinda pulled like a homeless Left Eye Lopes move there, eh?  Is that technically arson?  

A decent Public Defender could him off though, because even the most anti-homeless courts look the other way when a homeless encampment starts a drum can fire to stay warm at night even though it's technically an open flame in public that could easily spread with no extinguisher/sprinkler system nearby.  Well, that's all this guy was doing.  "Your honor, we move for dismissal......it's very chilly in the shade of the overpasses in mid-July in the afternoon.  He had no choice but to light that fire."  

I'm sure it'll be dismissed by Council as selective news-reporting but the shitshow of the last few weeks with regard to our homeless activities has been off the charts.  I have seen some crazy ass shit and we're just a few weeks into the new reality.  

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Kinda pulled like a homeless Left Eye Lopes move there, eh?  Is that technically arson?  

A decent Public Defender could him off though, because even the most anti-homeless courts look the other way when a homeless encampment starts a drum can fire to stay warm at night even though it's technically an open flame in public that could easily spread with no extinguisher/sprinkler system nearby.  Well, that's all this guy was doing.  "Your honor, we move for dismissal......it's very chilly in the shade of the overpasses in mid-July in the afternoon.  He had no choice but to light that fire."  

I'm sure it'll be dismissed by Council as selective news-reporting but the shitshow of the last few weeks with regard to our homeless activities has been off the charts.  I have seen some crazy ass shit and we're just a few weeks into the new reality.  

i would argue that the crazy ass shit is merely amplified in the news because of the new reality. 

years ago, i posted that i should take a day off and photodocument an afternoon downtown, to illustrate how third world conditions have materialized. shit on the streets, needles, people passed out behind dumpsters, aggressive pan-handling, you name it, it's been going for a while now.

there's a virtual colony under mopac at 2222. the presence of homeless at ben white has been growing aggressively, and the trash there has been terrible for years. people have been livng under those long slopes for quite awhile now. 

art acevedo used to have a policy to run them out every once in awhile, but i do not think that manley thinks that is a good use of police resource, so he has been largely laissez-faire until this ordinance, and now suddenly, he's up in arms about the handcuffs on the police.

i don't know what he right answer is, but this didn't appear with this ordinance. it's been more than a decade in the making.

Just so hateful:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/west-palm-beach-playing-baby-shark-on-loop-to-drive-homeless-people-away/

Officials in West Palm Beach have a new way to keep homeless people from laying around the city's Lake Pavilion: "Baby Shark."

The extremely popular – and extremely repetitive – children's song can be heard playing on loop all night long around the pavilion, The Palm Beach Post reports. In addition to "Baby Shark," the city is also playing another children's hit, "Raining Tacos."

It won't be raining tacos for the people who sleep around the pavilion — unless they can withstand this potent musical deterrent. The tactic is reminiscent of the blaring music once used by American interrogators to torment prisoners in the war on terror in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay.

Local officials are trying to stop homeless people from congregating around the glass-walled waterfront pavilion overlooking the town's Great Lawn. The venue hosted 164 events over the past year, from weddings to business meetings, bar mitzvahs and birthday parties. The city expects the event space will make $240,000 this year.

Leah Rockwell, the city's Parks and Recreation director, said event staff and customers shouldn't have to trip over bodies when they're setting up an event in the early morning hours. Likewise, a bride shouldn't have to walk over a sleeping person when she leaves her party at midnight, Rockwell said.

"People are paying a lot of money to use the facility. Thousands of dollars," Rockwell told The Palm Beach Post. "We want to make sure people paying this money had a facility that was clean and open and continue to use it in the future." 

In an emailed statement to CBS News, a city spokesperson confirmed music is played on the Great Lawn during the day and at night as a "temporary measure."

"Music is also played overnight on a loop by our pavilion to discourage congregating and, if appropriate, to encourage people to seek safer, more appropriate shelter through the many resources that are available," the statement read. "The music volume complies with City code, and we are exploring the possibility of having set hours for the Great Lawn and pavilion."

By choosing the songs "Baby Shark" and "Raining Tacos," it seems officials learned from the mistake of another municipality. The City of Lake Worth tried using classical music to drive homeless people away from the town's Cultural Plaza — but they ended up liking the songs.

Edited by Rusty Shackelford
  • Like 2

I advocate killing every one of these mother fuckers.   They are subhuman filth.   The assholes at 6th and Brazos have 3 lawn chairs out.  They are cat calling women office workers walking by.   I think 2 of them were having sex earlier today.   The only logical response is to take a flamethrower to the lot of them.   They don’t want to reform, are a scourge on society and should be exterminated.   Fuck them 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

I advocate killing every one of these mother fuckers.   They are subhuman filth.   The assholes at 6th and Brazos have 3 lawn chairs out.  They are cat calling women office workers walking by.   I think 2 of them were having sex earlier today.   The only logical response is to take a flamethrower to the lot of them.   They don’t want to reform, are a scourge on society and should be exterminated.   Fuck them 

tenor (1).gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i don't know what he right answer is, but this didn't appear with this ordinance. it's been more than a decade in the making.

This passes the buck to a future City Council, and it saves the city money (since they aren't jailing as many).  That's all this does.  It was never meant to help the homeless improve their situation, it just allows them to be homeless in more places without being arrested.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I don’t like the thought of a government driving people away from public spaces using bullshit like this.  And Im not at all familiar with this WPB space, but if it’s a genuine revenue driver for the city, there’s probably some case precedent that says that can do shit like this.  I’ll await you government lawyers to chime in.  

But seems like driving a city van around blaring this shit at sleeping homeless on park benches is draconian. But if they’re congregating in a place rented out at night for events, the music is probably better than arresting them or physically moving them along.  

1 hour ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

When do you start?

5 hours ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

do you have a CHL?  just pack some heat and wait for a furtive movement.  if you’re a taxpayer I’m sure the court system will be kind to you. 

9 hours ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

What starts as jokes ends up being reality. If you are sincere about exterminating the homeless for being dicks, at least have the courage of your convictions and say so under your own name.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Abogado Peligroso said:

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

What starts as jokes ends up being reality. If you are sincere about exterminating the homeless for being dicks, at least have the courage of your convictions and say so under your own name.

Hi my name is Gregorioioio Casar and I approve of killing homeless people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a proposed solution.  The city should take all the money it's spending on the homeless and redirect it to build a big brewery/distillery out by the Tito's place and the F1 track.  Move all the homeless out there, they can grow the hops and grain and do all the brewing themselves.  Any excess product they don't consume could be sold to the public. Label it Bum Fu Ale, or Hobo Hops or something.  If weed were legalized they could grow that too.  A sort of self-contained den of vice.  Call it Big Rock Candy Mountain.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I have a proposed solution.  The city should take all the money it's spending on the homeless and redirect it to build a big brewery/distillery out by the Tito's place and the F1 track.  Move all the homeless out there, they can grow the hops and grain and do all the brewing themselves.  Any excess product they don't consume could be sold to the public. Label it Bum Fu Ale, or Hobo Hops or something.  If weed were legalized they could grow that too.  A sort of self-contained den of vice.  Call it Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Think of the money they would save on not having to buy any fertilizer!

16 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

There’s no way the city council doesn’t know how wrong they were to unleash this mess. What’s their direct motivation for egregiously subverting the overall wellbeing of Austin?

one-ups-manship.  I'll explain later. 

22 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

There’s no way the city council doesn’t know how wrong they were to unleash this mess. What’s their direct motivation for egregiously subverting the overall wellbeing of Austin?

The COA is going to let it get Mad Max level of shittastickness and then they will float a $10B bond for homeless facilities that move them to some land they annex.

Of course $8B will make it to the pockets of the city council.

• Like 1