2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Averaging 28.8 over an entire season is the definition of consistent. He didn't score 2,000 points one game and then 5 every other.

Yeah, he played less than 5 bad games the entire season.  Even on nights when I thought he played less than optimally, he would end up with something like 22-9-7.  Turnovers and shooting percentages are what separates his good/bad games right now, and those are both things that people generally improve upon as they get a little more experience.  But if he keeps missing free throws, I’m going to drive to Orlando and kick his ass.

• Like 1

Luka is incredible, but he's nowhere near the two-way player that Kawhi or Giannis are. 

But, there are guys that are so good on offense that their defense doesn't matter that much and they're still MVP level. Steve Nash is the first example I can think of. Luka's trajectory is in that direction. He's unreal. I hate that he's on the Mavericks, just like I hated Dirk being on the Mavericks, because they're hard to hate. 

Is Luka a lockdown defender or sporting an 8’ wingspan? No, but he pulls down a hell of a lot of defensive rebounds... Steve Nash wasn’t putting up triple doubles on the reg. Am I ready to crown Luka the greatest ever or even the best in the league at the moment? Hell no, but he’s special, and there’s hardly anyone that comps to his particular style of play, past or present.

The two he was breathing the same air as tonight, The Big O and Barkley, are perhaps the closest IMO, but I’d also say that he’s better than the latter.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

100 bench pts, Holy Shit!

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lol Tor bench has scored 100. 

I didn't watch the game, so I have absolutely no ability to picture how that's possible in a game where, I assume, the entire starting 5 wasn't ejected in the first 3 minutes.

Edited by aggie08
4, 5, whatever it takes

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's not what consistent means.

I'm aware of what he's done in this series. What argument are you making? That he's the best player in the league? That he's better than Kawhi or Harden? Tell me your goalposts.

You said you wanted to see him burn a team for an entire series. Well 4 games is the length of many entire series so I posted his numbers after 4 games in this series. Has he not burned them for 3 full games and still got to a triple double in the game he missed over a quarter of with an injury?

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:
I didn't watch the game, so I have absolutely no ability to picture how that's possible in a game where, I assume, the entire starting 4 wasn't ejected in the first 3 minutes.

To put it into perspective, Toronto ended up with 150.

That’s a final in regulation too icymi 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

31 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Averaging 28.8 over an entire season is the definition of consistent. He didn't score 2,000 points one game and then 5 every other.

I mean in this series he's had 2 40 point games, a game where he went 8/17 from the field and 8/12 from the line for 28 (good not great scoring game) and a game where he went 4/14 from the field (yes he got injured but he still played 30 minutes). And in one of those 40 point outings he had 11 turnovers. 

I'm not saying he's not a good scorer, but the ability to put up 30 points on .600+ TS% every single night is something that I have to nitpick if we're talking about the 5 best players in the league. That and keeping his turnovers below 5 or 6. Obviously he gets a little leeway there just because of the enormous amount of possessions he uses, though. 

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You said you wanted to see him burn a team for an entire series. Well 4 games is the length of many entire series so I posted his numbers after 4 games in this series. Has he not burned them for 3 full games and still got to a triple double in the game he missed over a quarter of with an injury?

I mean you gave me his total rebound/point/assist numbers. There's more to it than that. He was phenomenal tonight, but is he going to play like he did tonight in game 5 or play like he did in game 3? Is he going to turn the ball over 9 times? I want to see more before I annoint him as a top 3 player right now. 

LeBron was fucking ridiculous last night. Harden is basically doing the same shit as Luka through 3 games. Giannis' numbers are absolutely absurd (but he's the one guy that is clearly better rn imo). Kawhi is still playing like a terminator.

The fact that he's in top 5 discussions with these guys is a testament to how good he is already. But top 3 is probably a bit too far. 

I mean in this series he's had 2 40 point games, a game where he went 8/17 from the field and 8/12 from the line for 28 (good not great scoring game) and a game where he went 4/14 from the field (yes he got injured but he still played 30 minutes). And in one of those 40 point outings he had 11 turnovers. 
I'm not saying he's not a good scorer, but the ability to put up 30 points on .600+ TS% every single night is something that I have to nitpick if we're talking about the 5 best players in the league. That and keeping his turnovers below 5 or 6. Obviously he gets a little leeway there just because of the enormous amount of possessions he uses, though. 

Your exact words were

He's not as consistent with his scoring

Then I said his season average is 28.8 and you said that's not what consistency is and now you're using 1 game out of a sample size of 4 playoff games to make your point? I mean maybe you meant something else other than what you actually said?
  • Hook 'Em 2

I mean you gave me his total rebound/point/assist numbers. There's more to it than that. He was phenomenal tonight, but is he going to play like he did tonight in game 5 or play like he did in game 3? Is he going to turn the ball over 9 times? I want to see more before I annoint him as a top 3 player right now. 
LeBron was fucking ridiculous last night. Harden is basically doing the same shit as Luka through 3 games. Giannis' numbers are absolutely absurd (but he's the one guy that is clearly better rn imo). Kawhi is still playing like a terminator.
The fact that he's in top 5 discussions with these guys is a testament to how good he is already. But top 3 is probably a bit too far. 
How much of his regular season did you watch? It doesn't sound like very much. He has more nights like tonight than he does stinkers.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Your exact words were

Then I said his season average is 28.8 and you said that's not what consistency is and now you're using 1 game out of a sample size of 4 playoff games to make your point? I mean maybe you meant something else other than what you actually said?

What in the fuck are you talking about? Are you following what me and Pato are discussing or are you just inserting random inane statements here and there.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

He has more nights like tonight than he does stinkers.

So do LeBron and Harden and Giannis and Kawhi and Lillard...

So do LeBron and Harden and Giannis and Kawhi and Lillard...

Except for the original one of you saying Luka wasn't consistent offensively, all of those quotes were your replies to me. If you can't follow your own conversation I don't know what to tell you.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Except for the original one of you saying Luka wasn't consistent offensively,

Right. That's what I said. I thought I said something along the lines of: "His scoring isn't as consistent as some of the other 5 best basketball players in the world" but going back and reading it I definitely said that Luka is a middling offensive talent and should be benched for JJ Barea. You got me.

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I’ll say this and then drop it since I don’t think we are far apart as it is...

in his 4 games he’s had one with too many turnovers- that he also scored 40 with a good amount of rebounds and assists. 
And he’s had one poor shooting game- in which he had 10+ assists and rebounds in 30 minutes. 
to me, 3/4 good games shooting and turnovers and 4/4 good games rebounding and assists is pretty consistent. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll say this and then drop it since I don’t think we are far apart as it is...

in his 4 games he’s had one with too many turnovers- that he also scored 40 with a good amount of rebounds and assists. 
And he’s had one poor shooting game- in which he had 10+ assists and rebounds in 30 minutes. 
to me, 3/4 good games shooting and turnovers and 4/4 good games rebounding and assists is pretty consistent. 

Yeah he's very consistent at making an impact. I think my original point was that he has more scoring games where his shooting numbers are just "good" and less games where they are truly elite than Giannis, Harden and Kawhi do. I'm focusing the discussion on it because things like TS% and turnovers per game and overall defensive impact are some of the nitty gritty stuff you have to get in when evaluating who the best players in the league are. 

Looking forward to game 5.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Porzingis for sure isn't better than Kyrie. I don't think he's better than Chris Bosh or Kevin Love for that matter. 

yeah, I knew I was forgetting someone (Kyrie). I’d take Porzingis over Bosh and definitely over Love. Especially in 2020 basketball.

Bosh was 37-134 from 3 total in his 3 prime years with Lebron in Miami

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

yeah, I knew I was forgetting someone (Kyrie). I’d take Porzingis over Bosh and definitely over Love. Especially in 2020 basketball.

Bosh was 37-134 from 3 total in his 3 prime years with Lebron in Miami

Yeah I would take Kyrie over KP without hesitation but I think I would also take KP over everyone else without hesitation. 

• Like 1

Kevin Love averaged 26 and 12.5 his final year in Minnesota. Chris Bosh averaged 24 and 11 his final year in Toronto. Porzingis has never put up those type of numbers. You can have your personal preference but in the context of comparing Lebron's surrounding talent, those two dudes are at worst living in the same general neighborhood as Porzingis. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Kevin Love averaged 26 and 12.5 his final year in Minnesota. Chris Bosh averaged 24 and 11 his final year in Toronto. Porzingis has never put up those type of numbers. You can have your personal preference but in the context of comparing Lebron's surrounding talent, those two dudes are at worst living in the same general neighborhood as Porzingis. 

Love was a shell of his Minnesota self by the time he was on the Cavs. He turned it around a bit in 2017 and 2018 - but wasn't good in the playoffs in 2018. 

I'm probably not giving Bosh a fair shake in this debate. I could maybe be persuaded that he was better in at least his first year on that Heat team. Iirc though his playoff numbers were poor - especially in the 2011 Finals.

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Kyrie hit one shot.  He’s also a bitch.

I beleive he had 2 40 point games in the 2016 Finals but I'm just spitballing here.

Looked it up and he didn't - maybe I was thinking of LeBron. Kyrie went 30, 34, 41, 23, 26 in the last 5 games of that series. That is a massive contribution on a championship team.

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Donovan Mitchell has entered the best-player-of-playoffs chat.  

Good God. Another 50 bomb. Totally slipped my mind that that game was on.

Duelling 50s? All of these bubble numbers need to be scratched from the books once we get a champion declared. Toronto scored fucking 150 in regulation tonight. Teams are putting up 115 on an off night.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Love was a shell of his Minnesota self by the time he was on the Cavs. He turned it around a bit in 2017 and 2018 - but wasn't good in the playoffs in 2018. 

I'm probably not giving Bosh a fair shake in this debate. I could maybe be persuaded that he was better in at least his first year on that Heat team. Iirc though his playoff numbers were poor - especially in the 2011 Finals.

I beleive he had 2 40 point games in the 2016 Finals but I'm just spitballing here.

Looked it up and he didn't - maybe I was thinking of LeBron. Kyrie went 30, 34, 41, 23, 26 in the last 5 games of that series. That is a massive contribution on a championship team.

He’s still a cancerous bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Kermit said:

I was getting ready to complain about his penchant for shooting those horrible step back threes, and he makes one to ice the game.

Yeah he had taken a few bad ones in those last few trips.    He hits them at a decent clip but man sometimes they are so out of context that they blow the whole rhythm of the game.    hard to knock it right now but its a concern.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I didn't watch the game, so I have absolutely no ability to picture how that's possible in a game where, I assume, the entire starting 5 wasn't ejected in the first 3 minutes.

Yeah, I've only seen that in NBA2K

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok so I’m late to the party about this...PG used to date Docs daughter who’s now married to Seth Curry(knew that) but he cheated on her because he got a stripper pregnant?

Lmfao.

Pretty sure he ended up marrying the stripper too.

One thing I noticed down the stretch.   Luka was HYPER aggressive when anyone but PG or Kawhi was on him.   Reggie/Shamet/Morris he went hard to the hole.    When PG/Kawhi were on him he struggled to get good shots.    It was so blatant that I was surprised that they kept switching on picks especially on the last shot as it was clear he wasnt gonna pass the ball.   I look for the Clips to adjust and keep either PG/Kawhi on Luka full time and try much harder to ignore switches off picks.

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Isn’t that pretty much damn near consensus (top 5 anyways?) 

I think when KD is healthy it’s far from a consensus 

Lebron

KD

Giannis

Harden

that 5th spot is debatable but I would still put Kawhi up there with luka. Much larger sample size. But there’s no doubt in my mind that a healthy luka is probably going to go down as one of the 10 best players to ever play the game. I know that’s some recency bias, but I don’t see how it doesn’t happen barring injury. 

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think when KD is healthy it’s far from a consensus 

Lebron

KD

Giannis

Harden

that 5th spot is debatable but I would still put Kawhi up there with luka. Much larger sample size. But there’s no doubt in my mind that a healthy luka is probably going to go down as one of the 10 best players to ever play the game. I know that’s some recency bias, but I don’t see how it doesn’t happen barring injury. 

Sorry/ inwas specifically not counting KD due to injuries. Yeah- if he’s back at 100% I think the consensus is pretty clearly (in some order) LBJ, KD, Giannis, Harden and Leonard. 
Luka slots in right after this group imo. So top 5 this season but KD is pending full return to health. 
I know people love AD but I’d take Luka after him. Luka already has done more in 2 years than AD did his entire time in NO as it relates to team winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Steph Curry not top 5? lol

Again- same thing as KD. Hurt so not including him/thinking about him this year. 
Son of a bitch the NBA is stacked. This feels like the most stacked top 10 we’ve ever had. 
If everyone is healthy and I had a fun to my head I’d rank like this:

Giannis

LBJ

KD

Harden

Steph

Leonard (durability over course of an 82 game season only reason behind Harden) 

Luka

butler

butler

butler

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1