2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259307/NBA-Will-Consider-Scheduling-Back-To-Back-Games-In-Same-City-Against-Same-Team

The NBA is paying attention to how the lack of travel is impacting player performance during the restart at its campus in Orlando. 

League executive Byron Spruell revealed the NBA is even discussing the possibility of allowing teams play back-to-back games in the same city against the same team, similar to the series concept long used by the MLB.

Teams could also play all their season match-ups against teams in multiple-team states like Texas, California and New York on one trip.

Spruell said the NBA would continue to “look at the data around travel, look at how it has impacted the quality play. Are there better opportunities for teams to plan? I think all those things will play into it as learning opportunities.”

“I’m surprised that it hasn’t occurred to them until this point because travel is an expense for the league and the teams,”  longtime sports television executive Neal Pilson said. He added the second game of the back-to-back series concept could serve as “that get-even level of play that’s kind of fun to watch.”

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259307/NBA-Will-Consider-Scheduling-Back-To-Back-Games-In-Same-City-Against-Same-Team

The NBA is paying attention to how the lack of travel is impacting player performance during the restart at its campus in Orlando. 

League executive Byron Spruell revealed the NBA is even discussing the possibility of allowing teams play back-to-back games in the same city against the same team, similar to the series concept long used by the MLB.

Teams could also play all their season match-ups against teams in multiple-team states like Texas, California and New York on one trip.

Spruell said the NBA would continue to “look at the data around travel, look at how it has impacted the quality play. Are there better opportunities for teams to plan? I think all those things will play into it as learning opportunities.”

“I’m surprised that it hasn’t occurred to them until this point because travel is an expense for the league and the teams,”  longtime sports television executive Neal Pilson said. He added the second game of the back-to-back series concept could serve as “that get-even level of play that’s kind of fun to watch.”

I'm not sure the players would like this. 

"Hey Sacramento - we need you to go play in Boston in the middle of January 2 nights in a row. Have fun!"

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"Hey Sacramento - we need you to go play in Boston in the middle of January 2 nights in a row. Have fun!"

Season ticket holders will be ecstatic as well.  Your daughter’s getting married the 3rd weekend of February?  Congratulations, you get to miss both appearances by the Lakers this year.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Unless they are gonna change how the schedule is set up WC team wouldn't play two road games against a EC team.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Season ticket holders will be ecstatic as well.  Your daughter’s getting married the 3rd weekend of February?  Congratulations, you get to miss both appearances by the Lakers this year.

yeah this is more my problem with it.    Also if a guy is hurt when his team comes in you would miss your chance to see him.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why not have multiple “bubble sites”. Say 6-10 teams grouped together at a time or whatever. Play all their games against each other, move to new bubble, ?????, profit?

I think this is more about "post bubble" time.   They are seeing that guys are playing better with no travel involved and looking for a way to minimize travel while still getting all their games in.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why not have multiple “bubble sites”. Say 6-10 teams grouped together at a time or whatever. Play all their games against each other, move to new bubble, ?????, profit?

Also there is no actual reason to go from city to city if they are just going into a bubble and not playing in front of fans.    The travel would just be raising the possibility of exposure

Edited by d2o

I would venture that it's less about the travel per se and more about them being unable to go out and party. It's not like the old days where these guys are flying commercial. The travel is about as cush as it gets nowadays. You stick some team in LA for a week or so while they knock out all of their games against the Clippers and Lakers, and then get back to me about quality of play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would venture that it's less about the travel per se and more about them being unable to go out and party. It's not like the old days where these guys are flying commercial. The travel is about as cush as it gets nowadays. You stick some team in LA for a week or so while they knock out all of their games against the Clippers and Lakers, and then get back to me about quality of play.

Yep, I said that exact same thing in my podcast.    I definitely think thats the biggest factor.   Far less distractions overall.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s probably easier if you’re a WC team to fly to NY and bus from NY to BKLN, Boston, philly and DC in one road trip. Possibly having those teams home at the same time while you fly in GS, Sac, LAs and Portland. Makes no sense for someone like MN to play the Knicks and Magic back to back in Dec and end the season @ the Nets and heat. I know they try to make it easy as possible but they could probably form travel pods like they do in smaller colleges and cut back on cross country traveling

I know a 3 hr bus ride would be asking too much. Especially when the process to fly from NY to Boston probably takes 2.5 hrs

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

CJ McCollum thinks he's better than he is. And it's a really big problem for this Blazers team.

I really think that, had they gotten a tougher playoff draw last year and done their usual 1st or 2nd round exit, they would have finally broken up that backcourt. But their WCF run gave them false hope.

Forget the offensive shortcomings of having two largely-redundant guards...they will never, ever, ever have a defense worthy of a real title run playing two sub-6'3" defense-allergic guards together for heavy minutes.

• Like 2

I guess rumors of the Lakers' demise were a bit premature. The expected big dogs, minus LAC, are starting to heat up. Toronto, Lakers, and Milwaukee getting rolling a bit.

The inevitable Toronto/Milwaukee series should be a great one. 

I can't tell if the Clippers aren't as good as I expected or if the Mavs are just a really game, well-coached opponent like in 2014 when they gave the champion Spurs their toughest series of the playoffs in round 1. But I do want to see the LA vs. LA series. Kawhi vs. Lebron is always a blast. Best case scenario for me is LeBron knocking Kawhi out then getting Raptored or Giannised in the finals.

Edited by BradInATX

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

NBA can't have the Lakers losing on Kobe day.

Yeah, 8 folks on the court wearing black in honor of "Mamba" making it impossible for Portland right now!!!

Already tired of all the Kobe talk tonight...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Chris Webber is so fucking bad. He never shuts up, he takes forever to get to the shitty point he's trying to make, and he gives off this air of knowing literally everything about basketball and far more than anyone watching at home. Like if you're so smart, why did you never win anything in your career? Why aren't you coaching? 

I'd rather listen to fucking Reggie Miller.

In fact, I think I'm changing the channel. Good luck, Portland. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Chris Webber is so fucking bad. He never shuts up, he takes forever to get to the shitty point he's trying to make, and he gives off this air of knowing literally everything about basketball and far more than anyone watching at home. Like if you're so smart, why did you never win anything in your career? Why aren't you coaching? 

I'd rather listen to fucking Reggie Miller.

In fact, I think I'm changing the channel. Good luck, Portland. 

THANK YOU FOR CRITICISM OF WEBBER ANNOUNCING...

His "objects in the rear mirror" bullshit for LBJ block was stupid

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
56 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Portland needs to let Stotts go, tear down this entire roster and build around Dame and Nurk if Lillard wants any chance of winning as the best player on his team.

Dame isn't winning shit.

This is verging on all-time bad for a "superstar" in a must win game. 3/9 for 11 points through 3 quarters? Fucking embarassing. At least go down chucking. He's not even trying.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
56 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Portland needs to let Stotts go, tear down this entire roster and build around Dame and Nurk if Lillard wants any chance of winning as the best player on his team.

Dame isn't winning shit.

He is a helluva a player and getting better every year.  I wouldn’t write him off yet.

Lakers broke the Blazers though.  Stay healthy through this series.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

He is a helluva a player and getting better every year.  I wouldn’t write him off yet.

Lakers broke the Blazers though.  Stay healthy through this series.

I'm not writing him off but he is so fucking far away from best player on a title team right now. And he only has a few more of these seasons left before he loses his first step.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is verging on all-time bad for a "superstar" in a must win game. 3/9 for 11 points through 3 quarters? Fucking embarassing. At least go down chucking. He's not even trying.

I said this before the series started, but Dame's had two really good playoff series, both punctuated by bad ass series walk-off shots. That, rightfully so, buys him quite a bit of good will and reputation as a "playoff performer." But he's been pretty bad in every other series, and his career postseason numbers are flat out poor.

I don't think he's a "choker" or whatever other social media hot word; I just think the playoffs are really, really tough on small, ball-dominant players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I just think the playoffs are really, really tough on small, ball-dominant players.

Kind of giving him an excuse. Isaiah, AI, CP, Tony Parker, Kyrie, Curry shit even Westbrook all either got it done or didn't see that big of a drop off in the playoffs. Mitchell is killing it right now. Dame just hasn't or can't figure it out for some reason.

I mean, again, 9 shot attempts? I dont care if they're doubling you every time you cross the court. That's fucking pathetic. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Kind of giving him an excuse. Isaiah, AI, CP, Tony Parker, Kyrie, Curry shit even Westbrook all either got it done or didn't see that big of a drop off in the playoffs. Mitchell is killing it right now. Dame just hasn't or can't figure it out for some reason.

I mean, again, 9 shot attempts? I dont care if they're doubling you every time you cross the court. That's fucking pathetic. 

Fair enough. You could tell he was mentally shaken, and his body language was not exactly great when LA jumped out to their quick lead. The game was over within 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Chris Webber is so fucking bad. He never shuts up, he takes forever to get to the shitty point he's trying to make, and he gives off this air of knowing literally everything about basketball and far more than anyone watching at home. 

Except how to keep up with timeouts 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, immortal13 said:

StatMuse (@statmuse) Tweeted:
Most 3-point misses by a team in a playoff game:

37 — Rockets
37 — Rockets
36 — Rockets
35 — Rockets (Game 3 vs OKC)
35 — Rockets (today) https://t.co/z0yqPvFKTW

They just never seem to learn

The crazy past is that they still shot 40% as a team, which is really fucking good. Unfortunately, they shot 57% through 2.5 quarters, and 13% the rest of the way.

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

StatMuse (@statmuse) Tweeted:
Most 3-point misses by a team in a playoff game:

37 — Rockets
37 — Rockets
36 — Rockets
35 — Rockets (Game 3 vs OKC)
35 — Rockets (today) https://t.co/z0yqPvFKTW

They just never seem to learn

LOL Jesus. I'm not even sure if that's a "laugh at the Rockets" moment or just an indicator of just how 3-heavy Moreyball is. What a stat, though.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:57 PM, shadow_operative said:

uh, ok? I'm a Clippers fan, so...

and yeah, if you aren't watching, then don't comment. Dort has been pushing Harden's shit in all night. the ESPN broadcast hasn't stopped focusing on it, and they even just displayed a graphic which showed that Harden is getting all of his production when Dort isn't on him, while he's something like 2-11 whole getting his shot blocked twice vs Dort. 

you are seriously helobious/rex kramer levels of clueless/useless. everything you post is uninformed garbage. please stop replying to my posts. 

Fuck off Derka/Goo or whichever schizophrenic personality you are today. 

• Haha 1