Houston Nostalgia Picture Thread

MaybeACoordinator

There was another joint just over from Athens B&G called the Pusan Hang Bar.  It was a REAL dive that was frequented by Korean sailors and other weirdos.  My old roommate and I would pop in for a beer or 20 and then depart for Los Molcajete's Mucho Mexico on N. Wayside. 

Mucho used to have the greatest full mariachi bands replete with 3 to 4 guitars, big cat-gut bass guitar, several whiney violins, some coronets and fantastic singers that would play all of the old mariachi standards.  Our big white asses were usually the only pinche bolillos in the joint. The first time we walked in there the band literally stopped playing and they just stared at us.

When the mariachis weren't playing they incorporated a Mexican lounge act with a Marty Feldman-like keyboard player and the Jerry Curl Mexican version of the headset style Garth Brooks all dressed up in a peach colored leisure suit, ecru turtle neck, white patent leather boots and a Mr. T gold chain starter kit.   Those two guys were outrageously campy and actually pretty good. My wife loved to go see them

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, deadshank said:

There was another joint just over from Athens B&G called the Pusan Hang Bar.  It was a REAL dive that was frequented by Korean sailors and other weirdos.  My old roommate and I would pop in for a beer or 20 and then depart for Los Molcajete's Mucho Mexico on N. Wayside. 

Mucho used to have the greatest full mariachi bands replete with 3 to 4 guitars, big cat-gut bass guitar, several whiney violins, some coronets and fantastic singers that would play all of the old mariachi standards.  Our big white asses were usually the only pinche bolillos in the joint. The first time we walked in there the band literally stopped playing and they just stared at us.

When the mariachis weren't playing they incorporated a Mexican lounge act with a Marty Feldman-like keyboard player and the Jerry Curl Mexican version of the headset style Garth Brooks all dressed up in a peach colored leisure suit, ecru turtle neck, white patent leather boots and a Mr. T gold chain starter kit.   Those two guys were outrageously campy and actually pretty good. My wife loved to go see them

Wow. I haven’t heard Los Molcajete’s in forever. Pretty sure it’s the same place I’m thinking of. If it is, I used to go there with my dad on Sundays and have a taco while he slammed some beers. We used to call the the piano dude the Mexican Ray Charles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Man, was just talking to my dad about this place.  

Next door was Shanghai Red's 

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pasadena-news/article/Ship-channel-restaurant-closes-menu-survives-2011708.php

Restaurants viewed from the turning basin in Houston Ship Channel

I remember those vividly from my childhood. Those two restaurants, plus the Flying Dutchman in Kemah (before Tillman destroyed) and the Strawberry Patch were some of our go to’s for special occasions with the grandparents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I remember those vividly from my childhood. Those two restaurants, plus the Flying Dutchman in Kemah (before Tillman destroyed) and the Strawberry Patch were some of our go to’s for special occasions with the grandparents.

The CFS at the Strawberry Patch......it was the kind of things that roving bards would have written songs about in days of yore.  It was.....magnificent.  Majestic.  Incredible.  And perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, texasdago said:

Michael Pollack – Colonial House Apartments Present Shaped With You In Mind  (Vinyl) - DiscogsColonial House Apartments - YouTube

He has a cover band called A Corporate Affair. I used to do a very good impersonation of him back in the day, so I've kept up with him. 

On 8/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, deadshank said:

The Athens Bar and Grill on the Houston ship channel was always an interesting and off the beaten path venue to go get hammered. (The boozy broad in the foreground was apparently really good at getting hammered.)

Greek sailor dancing at Athens Bar and Grill, Houston, Texas - General  Photograph Collection - UTSA Digital Collections

My late gay uncle used to go there to pick up sailors. Sounds very cliched but it was true. 

2 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

The Flying Dutchman used to be fantastic back in the day.  My brother was a chef there for many years.

**When the Brass Parrot was next door that was a fun time.

Got a small window...

Skyline:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

UP Big Boy:

spacer.png

Abandoned 8th Wonder of the World:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Astros' fireworks from an abandoned building rooftop:

spacer.png

Abandoned munitions depot in east Houston:

spacer.png

Central Square sign from the rooftop back in 2010:

spacer.png

Abandoned projection room at the Paris/OST theater:

spacer.png

I am sure I have more, but supper is ready.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, deadshank said:

The Athens Bar and Grill on the Houston ship channel was always an interesting and off the beaten path venue to go get hammered. (The boozy broad in the foreground was apparently really good at getting hammered.)

Greek sailor dancing at Athens Bar and Grill, Houston, Texas - General  Photograph Collection - UTSA Digital Collections

I wonder if this movie is available for streaming...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

At least it still has a water feature!

Vargo's was pretty nice... and then if you went towards the end, it was awfully depressing.

Wish I could find a picture of the former home of a great juke box and a crooked pool table...

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/to-sleep-with-the-fishes-6563983

Maybe this is the right place to ask....maybe this will get lost.

About 10-12 years ago, we went with some friends to eat at a restaurant "somewhere inside the loop". Beats the hell out of me where because I wasn't driving and there was drinking going on that night.  The restaurant looked like a house but it was a very good meal.  I can't for the life of me remember what it was called to see if it's still open.  Best guess would be Heights/Washington area.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'll hang up and listen.

16 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

About 10-12 years ago, we went with some friends to eat at a restaurant "somewhere inside the loop". Beats the hell out of me where because I wasn't driving and there was drinking going on that night.  The restaurant looked like a house but it was a very good meal.  I can't for the life of me remember what it was called to see if it's still open.  Best guess would be Heights/Washington area.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'll hang up and listen.

Zelko?

12 hours ago, jeevsie said:

I'll hang up and listen.

It sounds a lot like Segari's. If it wasn't, cancel whatever your next big ticket restaurant night out might be and go there instead.  Tremendous food, super laid back -- it really is Houston's best kept secret like they say on the menus. 

15 hours ago, jeevsie said:

I'll hang up and listen.

Roost?  It’s been around almost 10y.