HVAC went out. Any ideas?

Checked everything and I'm not getting 24v from blue wire no air blowing regardless of heat or cool with fan set to on or circ.

Tried to check transformer with a multimeter, but wasn't getting any reading at all. Got 240 reading on the high voltage source so I know high voltage is working as intended. Also checked outdoor condenser unit - same thing 240 working but no 24v coming in to click it on. 

Do all roads point to transformer and/or board? I replaced the fuse on the low voltage side (3.2A fuse) even though it wasn't blown just to make sure. 

This is 99.9% certain not to be the answer, but it will provide some reading while you wait.

Shrotly after we moved into our house 18 years ago, I was up in the attic and flipped the light switch on one of the studs, then realized the light had a chain pull.  That night, I realized the a/c wasn't working.  We had a home warranty that first year, so I called them and they sent someone out to fix the a/c.  Guy that showed up the next day, collected my $40 deductible, climbed up in the attic, flipped the light switch on the stud back up (it was a power switch to the a/c unit), and left. 

Lesson learned.  Good luck.

Compressor won't come on because air handler isn't kicking low voltage to it, it will kick on if I engage it manually (I also replaced the capacitor because the one in there was corroded to hell, still working when I pulled it though) No air at all hot or cold

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Compressor won't come on because air handler isn't kicking low voltage to it, it will kick on if I engage it manually (I also replaced the capacitor because the one in there was corroded to hell, still working when I pulled it though) No air at all hot or cold

Reading is fundamental, yes you said that. Sorry.  

Do you have a kill float switch in the drain pan under the coil in the attic? 

My drain pan fills a couple times a year and floats the switch and the compressor won’t kick on again until I drain it. I’ve never broke out the multimeter so I couldn’t tell you what the power is doing but anytime my AC acts up the float is the first thing I check. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Archer said:

Do you have a kill float switch in the drain pan under the coil in the attic? 

My drain pan fills a couple times a year and floats the switch and the compressor won’t kick on again until I drain it. I’ve never broke out the multimeter so I couldn’t tell you what the power is doing but anytime my AC acts up the float is the first thing I check. 

sounds like you need your drain line snaked

Radiant came out and got it done - as I suspected it was the transformer to low voltage. 330 bucks - part is 60 at HVAC shops online. I don't know of any HVAC supply shops in Austin or I would have replaced that before someone came out. 

44 minutes ago, immamac said:

Radiant came out and got it done - as I suspected it was the transformer to low voltage. 330 bucks - part is 60 at HVAC shops online. I don't know of any HVAC supply shops in Austin or I would have replaced that before someone came out. 

Not sure how all of that works, but this past winter I had to replace a part on my furnace... only you had to be a %^&*&* contractor to buy it anywhere.  It was simple as hell to remove and replace.  Did the basic troubleshooting, yada, yada, yada.

Finally got one of my buddies who does AC business to get me the part.

Dumb as fuck how all of this shit works/ is covered in red tape.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Not sure how all of that works, but this past winter I had to replace a part on my furnace... only you had to be a %^&*&* contractor to buy it anywhere.  It was simple as hell to remove and replace.  Did the basic troubleshooting, yada, yada, yada.

Finally got one of my buddies who does AC business to get me the part.

Dumb as fuck how all of this shit works/ is covered in red tape.

I’ve had good luck finding parts online but obviously that won’t get it done quickly.  

• 3 weeks later...

On this topic, I have a dual zone HVAC unit and on one of the zone I have a simple Thermostat so the dampers know how to control the air flow. I was trying to switch that to a smart version that would allow me to control the setting however having wiring issues.

The house is fairly new (2007) and there are several wires coming out of the all in that location however only two were getting any reading. So with two I can run the simple thermostat but with a smarter device I need 4 including the 'C" wire. At the unit in the attic there are plenty of wires running into it but it's hard to know what is happening from there to the ends coming out of the wall. Tech said they could open sheetrock or pull some new wire but looking to avoid that if I can. Anyone dealt with similar or have some ideas?

On 6/30/2019 at 1:51 PM, immamac said:

yeah.  I generally just take a shot at it and fix it, then call a guy to come do a service on the system.  The guy is use to me by now but when he is checking the freon, I'll let him know that I swapped out (whatever) and could he check to see if I did it right?  the last service cost me $40 to have everything checked out including the part that I swapped out (contacts that cost $15 online). 

HVAC guys dont like this.  And, now the HVAC supply here in Killeen, the place I have gone to for almost 20 yrs, wont sell parts to people who dont have a HVAC license.  I looked at him and said really?  you're just going to drive to someone else that WILL sell me the part?  He said his main obligation is to the contractor.  ok, whatever. 

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah HVAC shops are real shitty to the consumer. 

Yeah, but I'm seeing this with just about every contracted service.  This is why I show very little regard to those that complain that the internet is putting brick and mortar business out of business.  

Back in 2003 before I went to Iraq, I wanted to make sure that my two daughters living at my house at the time were going to have a working home alarm system.  An ADT guy came out and set everything up and assured me that my daughters would be protected (as much as an alarm system can) while I was away.  I was more than satisfied paying the setup costs and $31 per month for that assurance.  Fast forward, I got back... relaxed for a month and got bills caught up (which is another story on which companies and local government that said I could do cost averaging while away and reconcile everything when I got back - NOT!), then went back into training to go back to Iraq on the next rotation.  Fast forward again to when I got back in 2007, I had forgotten about the alarm system and walked out the back door; I heard the beeps but it didnt register until the alarm should have gone off - but it didnt.  I did it again a few more times with the different doors and windows and the alarm never went off.  I called ADT and they did not show that the alarm was tripped.  ADT sent a guy over and he said, yep, it's not working and we need to put in a wireless system.  He put in the wireless system fairly quickly and it worked.  I told him that it has never done that before.  So... after almost 4 years of going back and forth to Iraq expecting the ADT system to "protect" my daughters, the system in fact never worked.  And with this, ADT sent me a delightful bill for fixing a system that never worked.  I called the regional supervisor, supposedly in Leander, and we went back and forth: he insisted that I "owed" money for a new installation and I insisted THEY owe ME $2000 for service ($31/monthx5yrs) and initial instillation costs that did not work (and they should be happy that nothing serious happened).  I disconnected everything they had in my home and they continued to send me bills for second installation and additional $31 per month thereafter for about 6 months even though the system was completely disconnected.  These people are thieves.  

Off topic but anyone using the big alarm monitoring companies are getting ripped off.  The only thing you’re paying for is peace of mind.  That is it.  So in a sense you got what you paid for during those 5 years.  They didn’t promise you would be happy after those 5 years.

I have the alarm sign out front, and my alarm system still works but isn’t monitored.  Monthly cost $0. Thief has no idea about the no monitoring part.

my last point is that if monitored alarms are worthwhile, how many lives do you know that have been saved by them, or thieves caught in a friends house?  For me the answer is zero.  I’m sure it’s saved someone or scared some thieves away but not to justify the costs.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So in a sense you got what you paid for during those 5 years.  They didn’t promise you would be happy after those 5 years.

That's just a dumb comment.  I did NOT get what I paid for and THAT's the point.  And, it doesnt matter if YOU think it's worth it or not.  And, not "being happy" wasnt the issue and completely idiotic statement. Whether it's worth it or not in your eyes is irrelevant, ADT did not do what they advertised they/it would do for 5 years and then wanted more.  

'

On 7/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, Soldierhorn said:

That's just a dumb comment.  I did NOT get what I paid for and THAT's the point.  And, it doesnt matter if YOU think it's worth it or not.  And, not "being happy" wasnt the issue and completely idiotic statement. Whether it's worth it or not in your eyes is irrelevant, ADT did not do what they advertised they/it would do for 5 years and then wanted more.  

'

You should probably get that sarcasm meter checked.