Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

don't forget jawja. Even on the road we should have steamrolled them

Holy shit, I just looked at their season results.  They lost 4 straight before beating us, then lost the next 9 games, then 1-3 in their last 4.

So 2-16 in their last 18, with one of those wins being against the fighting shakas.  

So I was listening to One Shining Podcast and they mentioned a coach in reference to the UCLA job that I hadn’t thought of recently who could be a possibility for Texas. I’m not saying I want him because I’m not super familiar with his whole body of work, but it’s an interesting idea.

He had a long stint of sustained success at a big football school, he’s shown the ability to recruit elite players, made (I think) 2 Final 4s, won multiple conference titles, and is not currently coaching this year, so he wouldn’t have a buyout: Thad Matta. 

He reminds me a bit of Barnes in that he’s a good coach, who is the best coach in his school’s history, but was there a long time and things got stale towards the end.

We don't have an opening, and I don't think we will.  (Shaka will be back)

But, Matta is intriguing.  The problem is his health, which is why he resigned at ohio state. 

The intertoobs are telling me that he's the favorite for the UNLV job. 

Matta's biggest problem at Ohio State in terms of recruiting was bringing in knuckleheads who bounced out in a year or less. He went from one per class to a whole class by the end.

His worst year aside, what he did at Ohio State was better than all of Smart's career, with the exception of the Final Four run. IF, big if, he wants to recruit, he would be a gigantic upgrade.  

I read that his contract requires him to pursue other work as part of the buyout arrangement, so it's not a given he's actually interested in coaching at the places he's been linked to in the past. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT has doubled down, by the way. Either Shaka finds a soft landing or he's coaching at Texas next season.

Put this another way: everybody is saying basically the same thing. Wells, Davis, myself, whoever else are pretty much all saying "Shaka is back if he doesn't find another landing spot". The difference is that I think it's more likely to happen than some of the others do.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Don't forget losing to Houston in the fucking CBI, whatever the fuck that is. I think that was 2013. Barnes ran his course here. Regardless what he's doing in Tennessee this year. Or last year (although he has his usual flame out in round 2). Mack Brown ran his course here as well. Even as bad as Strong was, it was much needed to move on from both Mack and Barnes. Now we need to move on from Shaka. He's been nothing but terrible. 

Chaminade was probably the worst Texas loss of my lifetime.

• Like 1

Just now, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Put this another way: everybody is saying basically the same thing. Wells, Davis, myself, whoever else are pretty much all saying "Shaka is back if he doesn't find another landing spot". The difference is that I think it's more likely to happen than some of the others do.

I know, I'm just putting it here because there is a contingent of people on this board who think it's a near-certainty he's going to get canned and Chris "literally Jesus" Del Conte is playing things extremely close to the vest.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT has doubled down, by the way. Either Shaka finds a soft landing or he's coaching at Texas next season.

Fuck this. Idk if I’ll watch a single game next year if that happens. We’ll get to see what it would’ve been like to bring Strong back after losing to Kansas, except in a sport we collectively care less about.

by the way, have I mentioned how much I hate this fucking guy? 

Steve-Austin.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I know, I'm just putting it here because there is a contingent of people on this board who think it's a near-certainty he's going to get canned and Chris "literally Jesus" Del Conte is playing things extremely close to the vest.

If what I'm hearing is correct, Shaka will not get fired this year. The powers that be on both the sports and non-sports sides of UT aren't interesting in paying the whole guarantee this year, which they'd be on the hook for if they can him. They will be super-supportive of him finding another landing spot though, which would offset a portion of the guarantee. There's some merit to the notion Shaka is interested in finding a new spot as well, his agent isn't sitting on his hands right now.

2 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

If what I'm hearing is correct, Shaka will not get fired this year. The powers that be on both the sports and non-sports sides of UT aren't interesting in paying the whole guarantee this year, which they'd be on the hook for if they can him. They will be super-supportive of him finding another landing spot though, which would offset a portion of the guarantee. There's some merit to the notion Shaka is interested in finding a new spot as well, his agent isn't sitting on his hands right now.

I listened to the PWF podcast with you and Tim last week, so I'm familiar with all of this. I just don't know how many good landing spots there are right now. Wake Forest seems ideal, but they have an albatross of a contract of their own to deal with, if what I've read is correct.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I listened to the PWF podcast with you and Tim last week, so I'm familiar with all of this. I just don't know how many good landing spots there are right now. Wake Forest seems ideal, but they have an albatross of a contract of their own to deal with, if what I've read is correct.

I spoke to someone who covers Wake and he doesn't think the buyout figure Goodman reported last year is correct, he thought Manning's agent leaked that number as a way of relieving some of the pressure on his client's job status. Nobody knows what the actual guaranteed money is on Manning's deal because Wake is a private school and never released the contract details, so there's a good chance it's substantially lower than that report. Wake fans have been thirsty as hell for Shaka, and the numbers make some sense in theory.

Beyond that, there will be a number of spots that open up in the coming days as schools start to fire their coaches. All it takes is one of them to make it happen; maybe nobody does, but it still seems like the most plausible path. My suspicion - and I'm speculating here, I don't know this for certain - is that it was quietly made clear to Shaka and his agent that his tenure here is closing sooner than later and it's in their best interest to find him another spot ASAP. So he *could* return, but neither side is working towards him staying in Austin.

We'll know soon enough if this is legit or if I'm off-base. If I'm wrong, I'll own it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texaslong said:

Ha. Had an aggy from work tell me A&M was going to reach out to Wright and Self about thier opening. Lmao

If they get Buzz, they should be thrilled.

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

alternate idea, blame someone else, someone who people already detest, for it

Fuck Steve Patterson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

My suspicion - and I'm speculating here, I don't know this for certain - is that it was quietly made clear to Shaka and his agent that his tenure here is closing sooner than later and it's in their best interest to find him another spot ASAP. So he *could* return, but neither side is working towards him staying in Austin.

We'll know soon enough if this is legit or if I'm off-base. If I'm wrong, I'll own it.

Agree with your suspicion.  CDC wants to quietly help Shaka find another job and will pay a portion of the gty money to facilitate the deal .  Shaka and his agent understand that staying another year at Texas could be hard to endure, and possibly do more harm to Shaka's career than leaving now for another job.

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Arent we only talking about a difference of 3-4 million dollars here? Between firing him now and after next season?

To fire Shaka, yes.

But also consider that if Chris Beard is our number 1, we would also be shaving some money off his buyout as well (although Tech may well renegotiate that too, given that he just won the conference). There might be other available candidates next offseason who may be more financially viable as well.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree with your suspicion.  CDC wants to quietly help Shaka find another job and will pay a portion of the gty money to facilitate the deal .  Shaka and his agent understand that staying another year at Texas could be hard to endure, and possibly do more harm to Shaka's career than leaving now for another job.

This is the hope, that SS sees it’s actually in his best interest to move on now.

Sad to the see the basketball program has reached such a nadir that we can't fire a failed coach because of money...we are eating the lion share of his contract whether he finds a soft landing or he wastes another year running the problem. Disappointing.

If we keep him, what happens if we win 20+ and make the Sweet 16? If Coleman takes the next step it isn't out of the question, and it certainly doesn't mean that Shaka learned how to coach

• Like 2

Just now, rickyspub said:

If we keep him, what happens if we win 20+ and make the Sweet 16? If Coleman takes the next step it isn't out of the question, and it certainly doesn't mean that Shaka learned how to coach

A&M fired Kennedy the year after making the Sweet 16.

So if we somehow had a good season next year and then fell off again, I see no reason why CDC couldn't do the same, especially since Shaka's buyout would have dropped to a much more manageable $7M.

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Sad to the see the basketball program has reached such a nadir that we can't fire a failed coach because of money...we are eating the lion share of his contract whether he finds a soft landing or he wastes another year running the problem. Disappointing.

Repped for using one of my favorite words.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Just now, Machinator said:

A&M fired Kennedy the year after making the Sweet 16.

So if we somehow had a good season next year and then fell off again, I see no reason why CDC couldn't do the same, especially since Shaka's buyout would have dropped to a much more manageable $7M.

So basically you are saying we are stuck with Shaka, knowing he isn't the answer, for at least two more years? CDC proving he knows how to build a winner, well once the buyout is 'reasonable'. Seems like a waste of $6M to pay a guy to coach two more years and pay him another $7M to go away, especially when you have already decided he isn't the answer...

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic