Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Baker ain’t going elsewhere so it’s really just 1 out of 2. If we get a reputable coach, I bet we keep em both.

Ramey would be the only guy I’d really worry about, but at least the coach of his other top school at the time is coaching in Greece.

Maybe, but Baker will have all types of options if Texas fires Shaka. Hopefully, the Austin connection keeps him home. 

The biggest thing is just hire the next coach soon so he has time to convince them to stick. Assuming we fire Shaka of course. 

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Zero NCAA tournament wins and two Big 12 tournament wins in four seasons. How's that for a resume of success?

Woof.

Also just one top-half finish in the conference (with Barnes' players) and one last-place finish in the conference.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, Goo Punch said:

there's this stigma that you're a bad fan if you ever even think that it might be best for your team to lose. but this is how i see it: Augustus McCrae refused to have his leg amputated to save his own life. Would not do it. Was a man of such severe and unwavering principle that he dies because he refused to acknowledge that losing his leg was what was best for him. His pride convinced him that it was better to "die with nobility" than to acknowledge that he seriously needed to lose the leg. Know what I mean Verne?

also i'm drunk and i really want to watch lonesome dove so don't give me shit because you get what i'm saying and it took me 7 minutes to type this out because of all the errors i had to correct. bottom line: you got to cut your leg off if you want to go to hire chris beard and go to the sweet 16. if we take one thing away from this post, let that be it. 

+1 for lonesome dove.

• Like 1

I think CDC should be reaching out to Frank Martin at South Carolina. He had some damn good teams at KSU, so he knows the conference, and they were always a tough team to play. 

He hasn’t had quite that same success at South Carolina, but they did make the Final Four two years ago. 

We probably aren’t in a position to hire away a top coach right now and I don’t think we can afford to take another chance on another up-and-comer. Martin checks a lot of boxes and I think he could turn this shop around pretty quickly. If he did it at KSU he could do it in Austin. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I think CDC should be reaching out to Frank Martin at South Carolina. He had some damn good teams at KSU, so he knows the conference, and they were always a tough team to play. 

He hasn’t had quite that same success at South Carolina, but they did make the Final Four two years ago. 

We probably aren’t in a position to hire away a top coach right now and I don’t think we can afford to take another chance on another up-and-comer. Martin checks a lot of boxes and I think he could turn this shop around pretty quickly. If he did it at KSU he could do it in Austin. 

AnchoredNegativeBlackrussianterrier-size

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yev Kassem said:

Who’s on your list?  GTFO if you think Beard is leaving Lubbock to come to our shitshow of a program. 

This is exactly what people said about hiring a good coach in football in 2016. The problem (I think) is primarily financial, not him being interested.

Texas basketball HC isn't as lucrative a job as football, but it's still attractive. And despite half this board being up in their feelings right now, we are not the worst basketball team to have graced the sport. We are mediocre in our head coach's fourth year here, and that's why he should be fired, but this is hardly a multi-year full rebuild.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's in reference to CDC. Nobody thinks we are going to make the tournament at 16-16 but the AD still has to try and sell that. 

Deserves an NCAA bid based on what, exactly? .500 record, losing record in the Big 12. Lost to shit teams like Ok St, WVU, Radford and Providence.

Just now, Chad said:

Deserves an NCAA bid based on what, exactly? .500 record, losing record in the Big 12. Lost to shit teams like Ok St, WVU, Radford and Providence.

I'm certainly not arguing for it, but the argument in our favor is high SOS, decent metrics (NET) and several quality wins.

It's not a great argument when you look at the sheer volume of losses and the one or two truly bad losses (in the committee's eyes) - Providence at home (which is on the fringe of being Q2/Q3) and Radford.

Also, just because I like being accurate, we didn't lose to WVU. They are the one Big 12 team we managed to sweep. Probably should have swept at least three teams (Baylor, Okie lite).

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

We're a first 4 team out in Lunardi's bracket.

We obviously aren't making the tournament at 16-16 but CDC isn't going to come out and say "I'm firing the coach and we don't deserve a bid" when most brackets still have Texas barely on the outside. We don't deserve a bid at 16-16 but CDC isn't going to say that. He's going to push for a NCAA bid until Sunday like he should. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

This is exactly what people said about hiring a good coach in football in 2016. The problem (I think) is primarily financial, not him being interested.

Texas basketball HC isn't as lucrative a job as football, but it's still attractive. And despite half this board being up in their feelings right now, we are not the worst basketball team to have graced the sport. We are mediocre in our head coach's fourth year here, and that's why he should be fired, but this is hardly a multi-year full rebuild.

Solid points.  However, I think too many of our fans think that Beard is completely enamored with UT and can’t wait to get here.  Yeah, he went to school here and he spent a year as a grad assistant, but he’s spent over a decade at Tech. He’s got some pretty deep roots there. He’s making over $3MM a year while running a top 10 program at the moment.

Could he end up in Austin someday? Sure, there’s always that chance.  I just don’t think it will be in the short term, especially this offseason. 

Just now, Kiss said:

Texas football is light years better after a coaching change.

I suppose things can always get worse but I am willing to take my chances.

Unless we cannot afford the buyout in which case buckle up for more snooze fest basketball with Shaka and company.

Just now, Yev Kassem said:

Solid points.  However, I think too many of our fans think that Beard is completely enamored with UT and can’t wait to get here.  Yeah, he went to school here and he spent a year as a grad assistant, but he’s spent over a decade at Tech. He’s got some pretty deep roots there. He’s making over $3MM a year while running a top 10 program at the moment.

Could he end up in Austin someday? Sure, there’s always that chance.  I just don’t think it will be in the short term, especially this offseason. 

I agree with all of this. It's quite plausible that Beard doesn't end up at Texas, now or ever.

I just don't think we're going to be groveling for a good coach. I don't hate Frank Martin and think he's good, just not sure if he's a fit at Texas.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I agree with all of this. It's quite plausible that Beard doesn't end up at Texas, now or ever.

I just don't think we're going to be groveling for a good coach. I don't hate Frank Martin and think he's good, just not sure if he's a fit at Texas.

I’m sure Buzz Williams will also be in the mix, but he’s another guy that just signed a big extension recently and the buyout number would probably be pretty large. 

It will definitely be an interesting offseason, but the worst outcome would be if Shaka is still on the 40 next year. 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

This whole "Shaka to Wake" angle seems about as plausible as me dating Jennifer Connelly in her prime.

I have no clue if Wake has interest but it's not like Wake is an attractive job.

They've made the tourney one time in 9 years and have 1 tournament win in 14 years. Wake Forest might be the worst job in the ACC right now. Their last hire, Danny Manning, had an even shittier resume than Shaka. 

Not to trigger anyone but Wake's last win in the tournament was actually against us in 09-10. 

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’m sure Buzz Williams will also be in the mix, but he’s another guy that just signed a big extension recently and the buyout number would probably be pretty large. 

It will definitely be an interesting offseason, but the worst outcome would be if Shaka is still on the 40 next year. 

No buyout for Fred.....  HIRE FRED HOIBERG 🤘

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c8b4f475952655155

2 hours ago, Chad said:

My bad, I thought the first match up with WVU was a loss. This season hurt to watch, I guess it was better than the 16-17 season at least?

this season was worse than that season because this team had way more talent and was statistically way better than that team, but we still managed to go .500 with some awful, awful losses and some really bad, ugly basketball. This was an epic season of underachieving.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:43 AM, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Say Wake decides to pay Shaka $2m/year, that's $2m/year Texas won't have to pay him but he's still getting $3m/year of the remaining Texas guarantee. That also means Wake is getting a $3m/year coach for $2m/year, meaning they get $1m/year freed up to offset Manning's buyout. It's mutually beneficial, from a numbers standpoint.

Holding Out For A Hero.... C'mon CDC

1) Soft Landing for Shaka (WF) 

2) Reduces the Buyout (WF/Texas split 4yr salary)

3) Hire a Great New Texas Basketball Coach 🤘

• Like 1

you know it took Scott Drew 5 years to post a winning record and seven to really get Baylor turned around after one of their players murdered another player and their head coach tried to cover it up and the NCAA dropped a near death penalty on them

it took Beilein six years to get Michigan to the title game, it took Coach K seven to get Duke there (plus another five to actually win it). It took Dean Smith six years to win > 20 at Carolina and twenty to win his first title. 

Like those gentlemen, Shaka Smart is ALSO a basketball coach.

Your move, CDC!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you know it took Scott Drew 5 years to post a winning record and seven to really get Baylor turned around after one of their players murdered another player and their head coach tried to cover it up and the NCAA dropped a near death penalty on them

it took Beilein six years to get Michigan to the title game, it took Coach K seven to get Duke there (plus another five to actually win it). It took Dean Smith six years to win > 20 at Carolina and twenty to win his first title. 

Your move, CDC!!!!!!!!!

Hello, Mrs. Smart. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

The Smart era to date makes the case for not giving out contract extensions on the fly.    Why AD's get caught up in this game is beyond me?   Yes I know we had shit leadership at the time, but it should be common sense and part of running an Athletic Department 101?  

In the basketball world and at a school like UT, it should be simple set up.    If I am the AD, I tell the basketball coach look at Duke,, Villanova, KU among others and do the same here.  Keep the one and done and off to the NBA players to minimum or don't bring them on this campus at all.   Now have at it....

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Your move, CDC!!!!!!!!!

The bar was set low at Baylor at the time.  The North Korea National Basketball team coaching job was more attractive.   

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's in reference to CDC. Nobody thinks we are going to make the tournament at 16-16 but the AD still has to try and sell that. 

That sounds like an AD that knows his hands are tied.  Get ready for another year of Shakablah.

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

That sounds like an AD that knows his hands are tied.  Get ready for another year of Shakablah.

Could be?   But then again it might be standard AD talk...   You know where you hear the AD has full confidence in his coach on Friday and then 48 hours later, ESPN reports otherwise  and the search is on.  

6 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Could be?   But then again it might be standard AD talk...   You know where you hear the AD has full confidence in his coach on Friday and then 48 hours later, ESPN reports otherwise  and the search is on.  

Didn’t realize it was December 24.

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If only we beat Radford, we would be 17-15 and a sure thing for the tournament. 

But we lost to Radford.

Radford

Honestly, the UGA loss was worse, but people don't see it that way because they had actually heard of Georgia.  Radford is ahead of UGA in KenPom.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 2

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic