Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

8 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’m sure Buzz Williams will also be in the mix, but he’s another guy that just signed a big extension recently and the buyout number would probably be pretty large. 

It will definitely be an interesting offseason, but the worst outcome would be if Shaka is still on the 40 next year. 

Buzz will *probably be coaching in Texas this fall, the question is if it's in Austin or College Station. The Aggies are so hot for him they're basically grinding on a rotting fence post outside Blacksburg right now.

*I should caveat that, maybe the Aggies fuck this up.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If only we beat Radford, we would be 17-15 and a sure thing for the tournament. 

But we lost to Radford.

Radford

The Georgia loss was a way worse loss than Radford.

its not clear why people on this thread (not you) are hung up on losing to Radford when losing to Georgia was way worse.

• Like 1

It is just AD speak but it’s not exactly good negotiating leverage to publicly admit you think your coach will get a tourney bid at 16-16.

at the buyout table, his agent gets to say Shaka was in CDC’s view “tournament worthy.”

at the hiring table, the new guy’s agent gets to say, “and the in postseason incentive waterfall should begin at 16 wins...the cusp of the tourney in your departmental opinion.”

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It is just AD speak but it’s not exactly good negotiating leverage to publicly admit you think your coach will get a tourney bid at 16-16.

at the buyout table, his agent gets to say Shaka was in CDC’s view “tournament worthy.”

at the hiring table, the new guy’s agent gets to say, “and the in postseason incentive waterfall should begin at 16 wins...the cusp of the tourney in your departmental opinion.”

Mountains, molehills, etc.

The flip side is that it will be easier to find a school willing to take Smart knowing that he was this close to making the tourney (never mind that it should have never come to this).

51 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Lol wut. He’s not going to say we shouldn’t be in. That comment will have not have an effect on anything.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol wut. He’s not going to say we shouldn’t be in. That comment will have not have an effect on anything.

Yes, I wouldn't expect him to say that we shouldn't be in.  What I would expect is a more neutral punt like, "It's up to the committee."  The heavy-handed insistence that 16-loss teams should limp in could prove bothersome at closing.  Obviously the least of our worries right now with this shitastic coaching and massive buyout coming during a very tough week for UT given the tennis coach, and passing of Pres. Powers.  

11 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I think CDC should be reaching out to Frank Martin at South Carolina. He had some damn good teams at KSU, so he knows the conference, and they were always a tough team to play. 

He hasn’t had quite that same success at South Carolina, but they did make the Final Four two years ago. 

We probably aren’t in a position to hire away a top coach right now and I don’t think we can afford to take another chance on another up-and-comer. Martin checks a lot of boxes and I think he could turn this shop around pretty quickly. If he did it at KSU he could do it in Austin. 

If we go after Martin I’ll give CTJ a reach-around while shoulder checking Derka

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

its not clear why people on this thread (not you) are hung up on losing to Radford when losing to Georgia was way worse.

Because the guy you are talking about is an idiot and one of the worst posters on this board? Yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

The Georgia loss was worse from a total team ranking perspective.  but we actually weren't bad against them.  they shot 67% from the field(70% from 3) that day. we shot 48% and 42%. we had 26 steals to their 15.  Its inexplicable we lost that game. our D was not good but Georgia was making EVERYTHING.

Radford we just sucked all the way around and Radford played to our level to win a tight one.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LOL.  We have been reduced to arguing about which was our worst loss.  Fuck me.

I'm on board that it is more fun to just say Radford.  It is crazy how this is Charlie all over again. fucking groundhog day.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm almost willing to say our worst loss was Michigan State.  19-point lead, 8 point lead at the half, complete fold.

That’s coming off b2b after a tough one with UNC, I believe Sparty had an easy one.  What about the last Baylor loss?  

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Now I'm reliving all our losses.  Shit.

its cathartic. you might want to avoid this thread until CDC fires him. we could start a "which is our worst loss?" thread, but as much as you will try to avoid it you will start posting on that one too.

The "Fire Shaka Smart" and "2018-19 Texas Longhorns" threads were started on the same day nearly a year ago. Despite having a much narrower scope, the "Fire Shaka" thread is 76 pages long, while the other hasn't yet cracked 60.

That alone should be a strong indicator of the level of unhappiness with the program.

• Like 1

There were only a few Shaka supporters left, but I haven’t seen them in awhile. I’m guessing even they’re off the train now.

Really, I don’t know if anyone that wants to bring him back for another year. There was the rumored support of a high dollar donor that may or not be Wooderson, but that’s about it.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The "Fire Shaka Smart" and "2018-19 Texas Longhorns" threads were started on the same day nearly a year ago. Despite having a much narrower scope, the "Fire Shaka" thread is 76 pages long, while the other hasn't yet cracked 60.

That alone should be a strong indicator of the level of unhappiness with the program.

About 10 pages of this thread is a chamber of commerce debate between Lubbock and Austin. 

• Like 1

.....yea...but we had some really good losses....hello?  We are 16-16.  We don't deserve to go to the tournament.  NIT might give us a fighting chance to win at least one game....and Shaka needs to go...the sooner, the better...don't know who we would replace him with....but,  there's no future to our basketball future with him.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic