Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hoiberg agent getting this out early..... hoping to raise the offer amounts for Fred for head coaching jobs.

What are some of the possible openings?

Nebraska??  A&M, LSU?, UCLA?, Wake Forest?, Temple?, Boston College? Arizona?

Here ya go: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/221-college-basketball-coaching-carousel/&do=findComment&comment=1130131

46 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Before Buzz was my guy, before Prohm was my guy, and before Musselman was my guy, some of you may remember that Mick Cronin was my no.1 guy for a long time. In fact the only reason I stopped calling for him to be our next HC is because he's a Cincy lifer who was then given a large extension. And with that being the case, I'm sure he himself has a decent sized buyout, and is probably still just as much of a pipe dream as he ever was, but I felt like throwing his name back into the mix since it's been out of it for so long.

UCLA is rumored to be considering Cronin and Matta as their next Head Coach.

For Cronin's sake because of his health issues of the past, I hope he makes the best decision for him and his family.  The UCLA job isn't right for most head coaches.... 

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Shaka's buyout is a red herring. It's a sunk cost.

Why do people keep saying this?

It costs less to let Shaka run out his contract.  This is pretty simple.  Personally, I think we should probably just eat the money and commit to no more extensions until X years and Y achievement, but whatever.

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hoiberg agent getting this out early..... hoping to raise the offer amounts for Fred for head coaching jobs.

What are some of the possible openings?

Nebraska??  A&M, LSU?, UCLA?, Wake Forest?, Temple?, Boston College? Arizona?

no athletic director is going to see A&M as anything but a stalking horse for Fred Hoiberg

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

UCLA is rumored to be considering Cronin and Matta as their next Head Coach.

For Cronin's sake because of his health issues of the past, I hope he makes the best decision for him and his family.  The UCLA job isn't right for most head coaches.... 

Sounds like Texas would be great for Cronin.  Resources to pay him a ton, ability to get top recruits, and not a ton of pressure due to the last few Barnes years + Shaka debacle + football.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why do people keep saying this?

It costs less to let Shaka run out his contract.  This is pretty simple.  Personally, I think we should probably just eat the money and commit to no more extensions until X years and Y achievement, but whatever.

Well Mrs. Smart, how do you do on this fine Monday evening.

2 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

There was a fairly young guy who had a nice few years at Butler. Apparently he's no longer in basketball, but it might be worth seeing if he'd like to be a head coach again. AFAIK he was scandal-free and a decent strategist. As much as I'm leery of taking another midmajor guy, he might be someone to roll the dice on.

I’m in. Also, I’ll have what he’s having. Why not?

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The replacement coach's salary (and associated buyout if it exists) is not a sunk cost.

Of course, but that is going to happen no matter when a change is made, but like Machinator said, it's not worth it to discuss this again. My feelings are known, Shaka should have already been fired, or that the very least, relieved of the heading coach position.

Edited by HtownHorn

24 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Might be first time the school the coach is "poached" from also pays the new school a couple million. Be worth $5M to make it happen

Could see Texas paying as much as $8-9million  to Shaka at his next job if a deal gets worked out.   ( Maybe $2mill+ per year for 4yrs)

Primary reason why a deal with Shaka could be attractive for Wake Forest..... only costs them a salary amount for Shaka of $1.5million/yr for 4years...... While Shaka would be able to make $3.5million/yr for 4yrs.

Edited by LTtxfan

My excitement at seeing this tweet is pretty much identical to that of a football commitment. 
Dear God, CDC work a miracle!!!
2 of the first replies on this tweet are asking if they can get Shaka. Idk how the fuck a fan base could want Shaka at this point, but I hope their AD hears them loud and clear.

Be careful. @coachingchanges is a moron

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sounds like Texas would be great for Cronin.  Resources to pay him a ton, ability to get top recruits, and not a ton of pressure due to the last few Barnes years + Shaka debacle + football.

If the "Cronin" guy is Mick Cronin, who is coaching at Cincinnati, well the wiki tells me...

1) He was born in Cincinnati.
2) He grew up in Cincinnati.
3) He went to Cincinnati for college.
4) He was an assistant coach at Cincinnati from 1996-2001.
5) He left the head coaching job at Murray State in 2006 to be the head coach at Cincinnati.
6) He has been the head coach at Cincinnati from 2006 to present.
7) He is divorced and is raising a young daughter in Cincinnati where his dad and sister also live.
8 ) His dad, a former high school basketball coach, attends Cincinnati's home games and sometimes attends their practices and sometimes travels with the team to road games.

Unless we're talking about a different "Cronin", this Cronin is never leaving Cincinnati... ever.

The Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Cronin_(basketball)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If the "Cronin" guy is Mick Cronin, who is coaching at Cincinnati, well the wiki tells me...

1) He was born in Cincinnati.
2) He grew up in Cincinnati.
3) He went to Cincinnati for college.
4) He was an assistant coach at Cincinnati from 1996-2001.
5) He left the head coaching job at Murray State in 2006 to be the head coach at Cincinnati.
6) He has been the head coach at Cincinnati from 2006 to present.
7) He is divorced and is raising a young daughter in Cincinnati where his dad and sister also live.
8 ) His dad, a former high school basketball coach, attends Cincinnati's home games and sometimes attends their practices and sometimes travels with the team to road games.

Unless we're talking about a different "Cronin", this Cronin is never leaving Cincinnati... ever.

The Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Cronin_(basketball)

lol, thus why I've always referred to him as a pipe deam. but you never know. I think that most people would say that a coach has a better shot to win it all at Texas than he does at Cincy. Maybe that matters to Cronin. I doubt it, but I'm playing devil's advocate here.

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Beyond all that he's "meh" as far as candidates go. 

He's not at the top of the list, that's for sure. He's not even in the middle of it. But if it means Shaka is gone next year, I will gladly take Mick Cronin in this hypothetical scenario where has actual interest in the job.

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I would think that a D1 job right smack dab in the heart of bball culture HQ would rate a decent to great HC. Get yo shit together, Deacs.

They can get it together after they fire Shaka

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

He's not at the top of the list, that's for sure. He's not even in the middle of it. But if it means Shaka is gone next year, I will gladly take Mick Cronin in this hypothetical scenario where has actual interest in the job.

Maybe we should go after Bruce Pearl who just won the SEC tourney.

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Well yeah, they need to do these things in a certain order and hiring Shaka should be high on their list of priorities.

I need you to focus. You may be needed to get this deal to go down. 

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Before Buzz was my guy, before Prohm was my guy, and before Musselman was my guy, some of you may remember that Mick Cronin was my no.1 guy for a long time. In fact the only reason I stopped calling for him to be our next HC is because he's a Cincy lifer who was then given a large extension. And with that being the case, I'm sure he himself has a decent sized buyout, and is probably still just as much of a pipe dream as he ever was, but I felt like throwing his name back into the mix since it's been out of it for so long.

That retard Motown Horn was predictably giving me shit for "making excuses" when i said that I didn't like Tennessee having to potentially play Cincy in round two, but anybody who is rooting for the Vols would be foolish not to feel that way. Cronin was great at Murray State, he took Cincy from a doormat in the Big Easy to a good program, and then since the move to the AAC where he's now coaching one of the top dogs he's just been awesome. Since the move Cincy has finished 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in the league. They're 89-17 the last three years, and they have one of the best defenses in the country every year. And they do it with four year NCAA players. Cronin would be a huge get, and I really hope that we're at least going to make him turn us down.

1) No one remembers who your old #1 choice was because no one cares.

2) Thanks for not charging me rent for living in your head.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I’ll assume this isn’t sarcasm since you’ve been cupping Shaka’s balls all year.  Hey remember when you said this team was gonna be fine?  

Our highest finish in Kenpom under Shaka.  Progress.

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that sounds like something an egg would say, in ya go

Like Abe Lemons, Bum Phillips was a funny guy...

When asked about Earl Campbell's inability to finish a 1-mile run Bum replied.....

" When it's first and a mile, I won't give it to him. "

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

I guess we shall see what we shall see.

Gonna be weird if Shalaka come back for a Zombie Tour, don’t know how anyone recruits to that....writing off 2 years essentially.

Fortunately, basketball is a faster turnaround than football or baseball. 

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Fortunately, basketball is a faster turnaround than football or baseball. 

Ya think?  It’s still a good program in a good conference that if you are really good you can be gone in a year...  They need a two year min on basketball players, it’s just a one and done for talent free for all now and teams are not able to build.  It takes away from college basketball.  Only my opinion of course.....

Edited by Hook1997

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic