Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Ya think?  It’s still a good program in a good conference that if you are really good you can be gone in a year...  They need a two year min on basketball players, it’s just a one and done for talent free for all now and teams are not able to build.  It takes away from college basketball.  Only my opinion of course.....

What I mean is  you can get a quick turnaround since you don't need as many impact guys and nobody stays longer than a year or two. I, agree, the rule needs to be changed that if you go to college, you have to commit playing at least two seasons.

I think Shaka will be back, but I'm channeling my Moody College of Communications degree from UT and my class on nonverbal communication and what it means (I teach this too, yay!).  And I've thought for a few games, his nonverbals are "off" compared to earlier in the season and even the last two years.   

There was a moment on the game last night where you could just see it. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

What I mean is  you can get a quick turnaround since you don't need as many impact guys and nobody stays longer than a year or two. I, agree, the rule needs to be changed that if you go to college, you have to commit playing at least two seasons.

This idea that nobody stays longer than 1 or two years thing has jumped the shark.  

14 minutes ago, msbesq said:

According to an article in The Houston Chronicle today, A&M is going to go after Buzz Williams when Va. Tech is done in the tournament.

That's been known.

Word is that A&M is going to pay Buzz slightly less than what we're paying Tom Herman.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Word is that A&M is going to pay Buzz slightly less than what we're paying Tom Herman.

Herman is at, what, $5.5M?  Say A&M is willing to go $5M for Buzz. 

I don't think we're going to enter that race.  It's quite a bit more than we pay Shaka and we know how that turned out.

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think we're going to enter that race.  It's quite a bit more than we pay Shaka and we know how that turned out.

Yep, the number is supposedly around $5M-$5.2M.

It sounds absurd, but we're talking about the school that handed a 10-year, $75M fully guaranteed contract to Jimbo Fisher.

Edited by Machinator

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This idea that nobody stays longer than 1 or two years thing has jumped the shark.  

"Nobody" meaning, none of the best players in the country. 

So, guys like Aldridge, Durant, Augustin, Bradley, J. Hamilton,  Joseph, Thompson, Turner, Allen, Bamba... and I'm probably forgetting a couple that left Texas after 1 or 2 years.

It has not jumped the shark. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, DontCallMeSurly said:

In addition to agreeing that Shaka needs to go, and the sooner the better, can we also all agree that there is no way in hell the next coach should be given a $12.9-fucking-million buyout?  If the next guy has ANY confidence in his abilities, he should believe that his team will be successful enough that there will be no need for a buyout to be a consideration to begin with.  Asking for or demanding a buyout, especially one of this magnitude, seems tantamount to saying "I need some financial protection just in case I end up sucking here."   (Exhibit A = Shaka.)

A buyout is not intended to merely benefit the coach.  It is also supposed to protect the school by discouraging poaching by more a desirable program, or providing compensation if they won't take "no" for an answer.  A school like Texas should not need such a large buyout, when only a handful of schools or the NBA are threats.  On the other hand, you want your coach to feel happy and secure.  It's a gamble.  Perrin panicked when there was no need to do so, and way out-kicked the coverage on this one.  He must have been training with Dickson. 

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Especially for Buzz. Paying that much for a "meh" candidate like Buzz is fucking stupid.  His bar is at "better than Shaka", but I'd want a lot more than that for that type of money. 

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

I think Shaka will be back, but I'm channeling my Moody College of Communications degree from UT and my class on nonverbal communication and what it means (I teach this too, yay!).  And I've thought for a few games, his nonverbals are "off" compared to earlier in the season and even the last two years.   

There was a moment on the game last night where you could just see it. 

What did you notice? I’m curious.

One of my coworkers today who doesn’t watch or really care about college sports said he saw a bit of the Texas game on ESPN. He commented about how there looked to be very few fans in attendance and how that was pretty embarrassing. I agreed with him. Honestly we should have declined the NIT invite. It does more harm than good from a program health perspective 

Edited by perfectchaos007

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep, the number is supposedly arond $5-$5.2M.

It sounds absurd, but we're talking about the school that handed a 10-year, $75M fully guaranteed contract to Jimbo Fisher.

No way CDC even approaches a $5m bidding war for Buzz.

The man is not an idiot. 

Buzz makes $3M right now according to this site: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

aggy is going to have to make a ridiculous offer for what is at best a lateral move. 

Honestly, I don't see how we get a proven name without hitting $4M. I am not sure why Beard would drop what he is building in Lubbock anything much less than that.

7 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

aggy is going to have to make a ridiculous offer for what is at best a lateral move. 

this is really the salient point in A&M's pursuit of Williams

once again A&M wins a bidding war against itself

if you are willing to spend "whatever it takes" to get the least you'll settle for, you'll get it every time

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Nobody is an overstatement, I guess, but we've had our best player go one-and-done how many years in a row now? My point is that if you make a good hire at coach, the rebuild period isn't nearly as long as it is for football or even baseball. It doesn't have to take 3-4 years to right the wrongs of the previous guy.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

One of my coworkers today who doesn’t watch or really care about college sports said he saw a bit of the Texas game on ESPN. He commented about how there looked to be very few fans in attendance and how that was pretty embarrassing. I agreed with him. Honestly we should have declined the NIT invite. It does more harm than good from a program health perspective 

This is about the kids not the fans.

• Like 1

Just now, C-Man said:

My point is that if you make a good hire at coach, the rebuild period isn't nearly as long as it is for football or even baseball. It doesn't have to take 3-4 years to right the wrongs of the previous guy.

I agree with this, but I think it's especially striking that our football and baseball hires managed to turn things around within their first two years on the job. 

I think about the players he has had on his rosters since 2013, and this was his first post-season win since 2013 (conference tourney wins aside, and there aren't many of those to dismiss) 

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I agree with this, but I think it's especially striking that our football and baseball hires managed to turn things around within their first two years on the job. 

Because the Cake was already Baked......           /s

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If we didn't decline the CBI, why would we decline the NIT?

Declining the NIT isn't a good look.  How does playing in it do more harm?  What harm?  Hell, Kentucky played in the NIT a few years ago and they are Kentucky. 

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

What did you notice? I’m curious.

The last few games he has a look of frustration.  He was smiling like crazy every single game (almost) his first 2 years, even with crazy losses.  That's not the case now.  I almost want to say he was good at the beginning of the season, but something happened.  

His kinesics (facial expressions, etc.) are pretty interesting to notice both in game and during his interviews at pluckers. 

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

Honestly, I don't see how we get a proven name without hitting $4M. I am not sure why Beard would drop what he is building in Lubbock anything much less than that.

Beard is at ~ $3.2M per year average through 2023-2024.  You're right in terms of the raw numbers, especially since Austin is more expensive than Lubbock, but let's be honest -- that's pretty much just a bump of maybe $1M on a really nice house.  Taxes and other living expenses are down in the noise when you're looking at incomes on that level.

In other words, $500K+ more per year would easily put him ahead of where he's at now, and it's at a higher profile school.  Of course, Tech could counteroffer (and would).

The NIT is fun to lampoon, but agree with greg, Pancho, and Mash that it's great for the players.

Oset, for example, has been playing his ass off (to very little recognition from the fans, incidentally) and deserves every extra moment he and the team can milk before his college career ends.

I'll argue the same for Roach even though he's somewhat sabotaged his legacy. He's been here four years and has the highest pro ceiling of anyone outside of Jaxson who won't be around next season.

19 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

If we didn't decline the CBI, why would we decline the NIT?

Declining the NIT isn't a good look.  How does playing in it do more harm?  What harm?  Hell, Kentucky played in the NIT a few years ago and they are Kentucky. 

it didn't have a raucous sold-out crowd like all the OTHER great basketball schools in the NIT!!!!!! 

fucking Indiana only had 5400 for its first round game

Getting rid of Shaka becomes slightly more complicated if he decides to fuck around and win the thing. I’m not sure if a coach has ever been fired after winning the NIT?  

I am sure that I won’t  want to stand and clap while a “NIT champions” banner is being raised to the rafters at the opener next year.

Edited by CheesePie

Getting rid of Shaka becomes slightly more complicated if he decides to fuck around and win the thing. I’m not sure if a coach has ever been fired after winning the NIT?  
I am sure that I won’t  want to stand and clap while a “NIT champions” banner is being raised to the rafters at the opener next year.

What starts here, changes the world!

We set trends, we don’t follow.

Actually Shaka winning should help him get the next job.

Out in the car at lunch, and one of the guys from IT is on 104.9 saying Shaka is unhappy, because he feels like he is doing a great job recruiting and is not getting full support from the fans, or something to that effect. 

Fuck Shaka and that bullshit. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

there's been at least one, yes-- technically Eldon Miller was fired by Ohio State several weeks before winning it, but he coached them through the tournament and they won it

Edited by SwanderedTalent

23 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Outside chance Texas gets to New York, but they're not winning the thing with Hayes out. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The NIT is fun to lampoon, but agree with greg, Pancho, and Mash that it's great for the players.

Oset, for example, has been playing his ass off (to very little recognition from the fans, incidentally) and deserves every extra moment he and the team can milk before his college career ends.

I'll argue the same for Roach even though he's somewhat sabotaged his legacy. He's been here four years and has the highest pro ceiling of anyone outside of Jaxson who won't be around next season.

Exactly.  Dylan has played fairly well for the last 10 games or so and really well the past 2 games.  If he approximated anything close to this over his career at UT this team would've been much more successful over the past 2 years.  Of course he still hangs outside on the perimeter too much for my liking,  but he's playing well nonetheless.  Over the last 10 games or so his 3pt% has gone from around 23% to above 30%. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

57 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Getting to NY may make it slightly easier to unload him on someone though which I'm betting is the desired outcome for CDC (if not Shaka as well).

50 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Getting to NY may make it slightly easier to unload him on someone though which I'm betting is the desired outcome for CDC (if not Shaka as well).

that's a good point. NIT success won't affect CDC's desire to (not) retain him, but it could ramp up someone else's desire to go after him. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic