Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

A team that never should have made the NCAA tournament to begin with. Virginia Commonwealth's entry into that tourney was universally proclaimed as a farce. The fact that he had a team that was capable of going to the final four, yet couldn't finish better than 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association and couldn't win their conference tourney speaks volumes, and everything he's done since then has only confirmed that he is a subpar coach. So you go ahead and STFU and GTFO. You guys were all crying and consoling each other when he left; well now you can go ahead and have him back. 

Watched it unfold from close distance. Shaka caught lightning with a gimmick and it paid handsomely ... now, we’re holding the bag. 

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. This is like the end of a relationship where the only thing holding it together is sex. Both people are checked out. You fight all the time. You don't even really like each other. But you fuck just enough to keep yourself from ripping the band-aid off.

Unfortunately, at this point, the sex isn't even that good and it's become too infrequent. Time to move on Horns. Better start a slush fund.

That made me laugh.  But then I sighed because that was a solid description.

46 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Having watched the entire season from the stands. I saw the melt down at the end off the season by a very seasoned team, they'd played together 4 years.  The let down was strange because they just seemed to completely go dead, and lost their rhythm.  

That team beat all the teams they played in the NCAA going away except FSU I believe. They beat Kansas, and beat them going away.  They definitely got a very fortunate nod by the NCAA, and if they'd not gone I would have been fine with it. They did however, and just missed the national championship game by inches against a really good Butler team.  Some folks on the committee thought they could play...  

(rolling)  but I know everyone here is a better judge of the game though....(eyes).

Their performance even before the meltdown wasn't great.  They lost to:

19-15 Tennessee
10-23 South Florida
29-8 Richmond
22-9 UAB (who got an at-large that was controversial as well)
12-19 Georgia State
11-20 Northeastern

all before they went 1-4 down the stretch. That "meltdown" may be because that "very seasoned" team was actually playing the top half of their league as all 4 losses were to teams in the top half of the conference. VCU finished 4-4 in conference against teams with a winning conference record.

The fact that you "watched from the stands" is making you very defensive and super biased. For example, losing by 8 to Butler is "losing by inches", beating KU by 10 is "winning going away." 

KenPom had VCU ranked #53 in the country, after the tournament, FYI. Sagarin Predictor had VCU #51 after the tourney (#37 in his overall rankings). VCU had NIT-level performance throughout the season, and then got hot once they were given something unearned, in that hot run beating two ranked teams, then lost to an unranked team that then put on the worst performance in NCAA finals history. 

Look, no one is going to take away the Final Four banner. It was an awesome run. It doesn't change the fact that VCU should not have been in the tourney (or even one of the first four out, honestly), and that beating two ranked teams in that tourney made Shaka Smart tens of millions of dollars that he likely didn't deserve.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Their performance even before the meltdown wasn't great.  They lost to:

19-15 Tennessee
10-23 South Florida
29-8 Richmond
22-9 UAB (who got an at-large that was controversial as well)
12-19 Georgia State
11-20 Northeastern

all before they went 1-4 down the stretch. That "meltdown" may be because that "very seasoned" team was actually playing the top half of their league as all 4 losses were to teams in the top half of the conference. VCU finished 4-4 in conference against teams with a winning conference record.

The fact that you "watched from the stands" is making you very defensive and super biased. For example, losing by 8 to Butler is "losing by inches", beating KU by 10 is "winning going away." 

KenPom had VCU ranked #53 in the country, after the tournament, FYI. Sagarin Predictor had VCU #51 after the tourney (#37 in his overall rankings). VCU had NIT-level performance throughout the season, and then got hot once they were given something unearned, in that hot run beating two ranked teams, then lost to an unranked team that then put on the worst performance in NCAA finals history. 

Look, no one is going to take away the Final Four banner. It was an awesome run. It doesn't change the fact that VCU should not have been in the tourney (or even one of the first four out, honestly), and that beating two ranked teams in that tourney made Shaka Smart tens of millions of dollars that he likely didn't deserve.

Nope, not any more biased than Texas fans, and your football teams. I said if they hadn't made it I would have been fine with them going to the NIT.  I know it was a fluke, but that team pretty much ran thru every NCAA opponent like a top 20 team would, and came within arms reach of the final game.  A play in team making it to the Final Four hasn't ever been done. 

He won with two assistants that left after that 2011 season ( Will Wade and Mike Rhodes). Both have come back and coached at VCU. Mike Rhodes being the current coach. They were his X's and O's guys, and made HAVOC work. Without them he's a middle of the road mid major coach that can inspire kids to work their asses off, which he did at VCU.  The kids he won with weren't his recruits either, but he does seem to be able to get 4 -5 star kids to commit to his programs.

Beating a top seed Kansas by 10, and in the second half they were pulling away from them is "winning going away".  Losing to Butler by 8 in a game that they didn't play like their previous games sucked. They had opportunites to win that game, and couldn't pull it off.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

(rolling)  but I know everyone here is a better judge of the game though....(eyes).

Since that final four run, Shaka Smart is 2-6 in the tourney with zero sweet 16 appearances  and an 11-win season sprinkled in.  

His overall conference record here is 24-32.

How should we judge that?

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope, not any more biased than Texas fans, and your football teams. I said if they hadn't made it I would have been fine with them going to the NIT.  I know it was a fluke, but that team pretty much ran thru every NCAA opponent like a top 20 team would, and came within arms reach of the final game.  A play in team making it to the Final Four hasn't ever been done. 

He won with two assistants that left after that 2011 season ( Will Wade and Mike Rhodes). Both have come back and coached at VCU. Mike Rhodes being the current coach. They were his X's and O's guys, and made HAVOC work. Without them he's a middle of the road mid major coach that can inspire kids to work their asses off, which he did at VCU.  The kids he won with weren't his recruits either, but he does seem to be able to get 4 -5 star kids to commit to his programs.

Beating a top seed Kansas by 10, and in the second half they were pulling away from them is "winning going away".  Losing to Butler by 8 in a game that they didn't play like their previous games sucked. They had opportunites to win that game, and couldn't pull it off.

I dunno what the bolded means. 

You agree that the run was "a fluke", so I'm not sure what we are arguing about.

VCU led KU by 14 at the half. KU won the second half by 4. They don't give second half trophies obv, just pointing out that VCU was not "pulling away from KU" in the second half.

And a KU fan could easily say "Losing to VCU by 10 in a game that they didn't play like their previous games sucked. They had opportunities to win that game, and couldn't pull it off."

EDIT to add:  Shaka/VCU aren't the only example of this, BTW. Most media and fans waaaayyyy overstate the tourney in evaluating a team or coach's performance. Small sample sizes and variance can dominate. 

Example:  KSU goes 22-11 last year. They are pegged as a sleeper team due to their "big Elite Eight run" which consisted of beating an 8 seed Creighton that was 4-7 in its last 11, a 16 seed UMBC, a 5 seed unranked Kentucky team that was just 10-8 in the SEC and got to the S16 by beating an 12 and a 13 seed, then getting blown out by an 11 seed in Loyola, who was also a great story, but who had beaten a 3, 6, and 7 seed by 4 total points.

Now, it's like "what's wrong with KSU?" when they are doing what they basically did last year. Their run didn't mean they were one of the 8 best teams, or even close to it.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 2

Just now, CurlyDumps said:

Since that final four run, Shaka Smart is 2-6 in the tourney with zero sweet 16 appearances  and an 11-win season sprinkled in.  

His overall conference record is 24-32.

That he's in over his head. I stated pretty clearly the 2 assistants he had during that run were his X's and O's guys. Once he lost them his days of winning were numbered.  

Both are better coaches than Shaka.  Wade is at LSU and is kind of a dick, but a good coach. Rhodes is here at VCU now and wants to make this his final gig. 

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That he's in over his head. I stated pretty clearly the 2 assistants he had during that run were his X's and O's guys. Once he lost them his days of winning were numbered.  Both are better coaches than Shaka.  Wade is at LSU and is kind of a dick, but a good coach. Rhodes is here at VCU now and wants to make this his final gig. 

Their records at Division I schools:

Wade:
18-11 - Chattanooga
22-10 - Chattanooga
25-11 - VCU
26-9 - VCU
18-15 - LSU
11-3 - LSU

NCAA record: 1-2

Rhoades:
12-20 - Rice
12-20 - Rice
23-12 - Rice
18-15 - VCU
10-4 - VCU

NCAA record: 0-0

Rhoades also went his last 5 seasons at Randolph-Macon without winning a game in the DIII tourney.

Neither will likely make the tourney this season either. So what are we basing it on that these guys are better than Shaka, and what does that say about Shaka?

14 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Their records at Division I schools:

Wade:
18-11 - Chattanooga
22-10 - Chattanooga
25-11 - VCU
26-9 - VCU
18-15 - LSU
11-3 - LSU

NCAA record: 1-2

Rhoades:
12-20 - Rice
12-20 - Rice
23-12 - Rice
18-15 - VCU
10-4 - VCU

NCAA record: 0-0

Rhoades also went his last 5 seasons at Randolph-Macon without winning a game in the DIII tourney.

Neither will likely make the tourney this season either. So what are we basing it on that these guys are better than Shaka, and what does that say about Shaka?

VCU may definitely make the tourneys as at large team this season (that's what's projected currently I believe) if they continue to play like they have since December. They had UVA by 5 at UVA in the last 5 minutes of a game they could have been up by 10. 

They're a strong mid major team with very very good defense.   3 coaches in 6 seasons, and they made the NCAA's in all but last years dance. That speaks positively about the program, and caliber of players that have been recruited at a mid major school.

And yeah they're both better coaches than Shaka. His winning stopped the day those coaches moved on to other schools.   Rice was a cellar dweller for years, he turned the program around in his Third season. Shaka hasn't approached that yet. Both of those coaches are on track for 18-24 win seasons right now. Shaka ?  doubtful, very doubtful.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

As someone who usually preaches patience on evaluating coaches, it’s ridiculous that he’s being defended at this point. There is just no data that suggests he’s a good coach. In fact, almost every data point suggests the opposite:

1. His limited coaching success before Texas
2. His team’s shooting
3. His team’s rebounding
4. His team’s offensive production
5. His in game personnel decisions
6. His strange player rotation patterns
7. His lack of demonstration of x and o knowledge
8. His handling of player issues.
9. His team’s poor play against highly inferior opponents.
10. His inability to turn around the program quickly, when that happens all the time in basketball.

He has done two things well: recruiting and his teams occasionally play good defense.

I still advocate giving him the rest of the year to demonstrate a turnaround because his recruiting has been so good he deserves the chance. But by year end, if we are still seeing poor performance, he should be gone. In the meantime, it’s totally fair to rip him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

VCU may definitely make the tourneys as at large team this season (that's what's projected currently I believe) if they continue to play like they have since December. They had UVA by 5 at UVA in the last 5 minutes of a game they could have been up by 10. 

They're a strong mid major team with very very good defense.   3 coaches in 6 seasons, and they made the NCAA's in all but last years dance. That speaks positively about the program, and caliber of players that have been recruited at a mid major school.

And yeah they're both better coaches than Shaka. His winning stopped the day those coaches moved on to other schools.   Rice was a cellar dweller for years, he turned the program around in his Third season. Shaka hasn't approached that yet. Both of those coaches are on track for 18-24 win seasons right now. Shaka ?  doubtful, very doubtful.

VCU is currently in Lunardi's "Next Four Out."  No bad losses, but no big wins outside of Temple at a neutral site. The problem is the A-10 is really down, so likely a one-bid league. It's the #12 conference in Sagarin.

VCU is #58 in KenPom, #63 in Sagarin, #63 in BPI.

Edited by TXSooner518

17 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

VCU is currently in Lunardi's "Next Four Out."  No bad losses, but no big wins outside of Temple at a neutral site. The problem is the A-10 is really down, so likely a one-bid league. It's the #12 conference in Sagarin.

Yeah down year for the A-10 for sure.  I think VCU plays in to an at large bid, based on what I'm seeing right now from the team. Big game Saturday that will go a long way to cementing that opinion or backing off, Davidson away  (Steph Curries alma mater).

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah down year for the A-10 for sure.  I think VCU plays in to an at large bid, based on what I'm seeing right now from the team. Big game Saturday that will go a long way to cementing that opinion or backing off, Davidson away  (Steph Curries alma mater).

I will wager that no at-large bids come from the A-10 this season. There just aren't any resume-building wins available.  I mean, if they go unbeaten to the conf title game or something, sure, but assuming they go 12-4 or some such, I'm not seeing it.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

His overall conference record here is 24-32.

An "upward arc?" (please see tenure by the numbers thread).

On 1/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, Red Five said:

Someone explain the deal with Hamm to me. Because he barely plays and I feel like we need a lot more guys like him. Meaning he’s bouncy and plays with energy and looks like he isn’t being forced to play basketball at gunpoint.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:53 PM, Goo Punch said:

there's no explanation. Yancy, Holland, Barnett, Ibeh, Sims before he cratered- Shaka doesn't like these guys. Makes no sense whatsoever. 

James Banks, another of these players who Shaka had no use for, is playing 27.6 mpg for Georgia Tech, averaging 9.3 pts, 8.0 reb (3.2 Off.), and 2.4 blocks per game. Shaka has spurned a whole bunch of decent college talent to his and the program's detriment, and there's really no logical explanation as to why that is. 

Edited by Goo Punch

It's honestly impressive to have been here less than four years and to have already lost Tevin Mack, Jordan Barnett, and James Banks, all solid college players, to transfers, not to mention losing Jacob Young to transfer and Eric Davis to "going pro". If we were winning the conference every year then okay, things happen; instead, we're terrible, and in less than four years we've already had as much talent transfer out of the program as we did in 17 years under Barnes. Talk about your all-time colossal fuck ups. This guy is as bad at everything else as he is good st recruiting  It's amazing. 

18 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Really....?

There is already a "next four out" in the second week of January...?

Stupid.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:29 AM, HtownHorn said:

It's being lead by the worst coach in the history of the program, and a few people knew he was this bad after 11-22, but some you dumb fucks kept making excuses for him.

Somebody wasn't around for the Weltlich years.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

It's honestly impressive to have been here less than four years and to have already lost Tevin Mack, Jordan Barnett, and James Banks, all solid college players, to transfers, not to mention losing Jacob Young to transfer and Eric Davis to "going pro". If we were winning the conference every year then okay, things happen; instead, we're terrible, and in less than four years we've already had as much talent transfer out of the program as we did in 17 years under Barnes. Talk about your all-time colossal fuck ups. This guy is as bad at everything else as he is good st recruiting  It's amazing. 
That's a bit hyperbolic, but I'll allow it.

50 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Really....?

There is already a "next four out" in the second week of January...?

Stupid.

Shit, he had a preseason bracket, complete with "First Four Byes", "Last Four In", "First Four Out', and "Next Four Out."  

I don't really see why having regularly updated bracket projections during the season is stupid. 

Shit, he had a preseason bracket, complete with "First Four Byes", "Last Four In", "First Four Out', and "Next Four Out."  
I don't really see why having regularly updated bracket projections during the season is stupid. 
Why is a Sooner so determined for Texas to get rid of a sorry coach?

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
5 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Why is a Sooner so determined for Texas to get rid of a sorry coach?

It's not that I particularly care if Texas keeps Shaka, I just enjoy using facts and stats to debate on the intergooglez.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Because none of that shit means anything and I bet if you compare this crap to the end of the season results way more 50% of it is complete bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Because none of that shit means anything and I bet if you compare this crap to the end of the season results way more 50% of it is complete bullshit.

I mean, none of sports discussion means anything. By that token, end all rankings until the end of the season, don't do bowl projections, playoff standings, etc. etc. 

He isn't saying "On Selection Sunday, VCU will be one of the Next Four Out," he's saying "If today was Selection Sunday, VCU would be one of the Next Four Out."

Obviously things change as more data points come in during the season. At one point last year, OU was a projected 1 seed. By Selection Sunday, they had shit the bed so bad they were in danger of missing the tourney.  It's still fun/interesting IMO to see a snapshot of how the season is unfolding so far.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

James Banks, another of these players who Shaka had no use for, is playing 27.6 mpg for Georgia Tech, averaging 9.3 pts, 8.0 reb (3.2 Off.), and 2.4 blocks per game. Shaka has spurned a whole bunch of decent college talent to his and the program's detriment, and there's really no logical explanation as to why that is. 

Do you know the reason why James Banks gets 27.6 minutes per game for Georgia Tech is because Georgia Tech sucks? You should be lauding the fact that our overall talent level at Texas is such that "decent college talent"--your own words--can't get playing time here. Instead you make the moronic argument of saying we should've "kept around" this "decent" talent that can get PT at struggling programs around the country? Fucking idiot. GT isn't in the Pom top 50. We are at least 30th.

• Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Murray Bartow is now 3-0 as UCLA's interim coach and will be available at season's end.  Just sayin'...

The Ruins have beaten Cal, Stanford, Oregon w/a combined conf record of 0-8. Just my peccadillo,  but stats, more stats and damn lies. NBA is the worst because there are so many rotten teams and a swing through the Eastern conference puts you on a winning streak. But the talking heads don't tell you that.

Edited by Nolacycling

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That's a bit hyperbolic, but I'll allow it.

Teensy bit.  Don't think you can blame Shaka for Eric Davis "going pro" considering he didn't play a single game after February 17 due to his potential NCAA issue.

Not to mention I was on campus during Barnes 1st few years and an RA for the basketball team at the time and can name more than 3 or 4 transfers in just his first few years. Multiple transfers are pretty normal for new basketball regimes. That being said, Shaka seemingly doesn't even give them a chance before some players transfer.

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

The Ruins have beaten Cal, Stanford, Oregon w/a combined conf record of 0-8. Just my peccadillo,  but stats, more stats and damn lies. NBA is the worst because there are so many rotten teams and a swing through the Eastern conference puts you on a winning streak. But the talking heads don't tell you that.

Are you suggesting we aren't good?!  I'll have you know if we keep this up, a bid to the CBI is almost a certainty.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

NBA is the worst because there are so many rotten teams

Nah. Some years maybe. This season pretty much anyone can beat you on any given night save 4-5 dogshit squads in the East.

The West is absolute bloodsport currently. 

5 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Do you know the reason why James Banks gets 27.6 minutes per game for Georgia Tech is because Georgia Tech sucks?

Are we still talking about Texas this season?

I didn't wander into a discussion about Duke or Kansas, did I?

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

LOL the cognitive dissonance for ole Cameltoe.  Shaka is on the upward arc in Season 4 at 10-5, Ga Tech absolutely sucks, one game behind at 9-6.

He's probably going to throw KenPom at us now as undeniable evidence that Texas is good and way better than Georgia Tech.

• Haha 2

You think #78 in the country, Georgia Tech, is similar to the #30 Texas, because they have one less win than Texas? Half these teams just got done playing the Cupcake World Tour in their own arenas, win loss records mean utter jack-fuck at this point in the season.

C'mon Sooner, you're smarter than that.

• Fuck You 6

7 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

You think #78 in the country, Georgia Tech, is similar to the #30 Texas, because they have one less win than Texas? Half these teams just got done playing the Cupcake World Tour in their own arenas, win loss records mean utter jack-fuck at this point in the season.

C'mon Sooner, you're smarter than that.

1) it's just funny in general because you are beyond irrational re: Shaka

2) you acted like a player's performance at GT was irrelevant regarding TX because of how bad GT is. They are in the top 20% of college basketball teams in the country, using your own metric, and play in one of the two best hoops conferences in the country. It's not like he's in the SWAC.

3) Against teams outside the Top 50 in Sagarin, Texas is 6-4 and GT is 8-3.  Just sounds like GT is a little bit better at playing Cupcake World Tour games?  Texas has 4 losses to teams with no at-large hopes, GT has 2.

4) I can admit the obvious truth that Texas is a better basketball team than Georgia Tech. Why can you not admit the obvious truth that outside of beating Purdue and Kansas seven years ago, Shaka Smart has ranged from mediocre to abysmal as a college basketball coach and is dramatically over his head at Texas?

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

1) it's just funny in general because you are beyond irrational re: Shaka

2) you acted like a player's performance at GT was irrelevant regarding TX because of how bad GT is. They are in the top 20% of college basketball teams in the country, using your own metric, and play in one of the two best hoops conferences in the country. It's not like he's in the SWAC.

3) Against teams outside the Top 50 in Sagarin, Texas is 6-4 and GT is 8-3.  Just sounds like GT is a little bit better at playing Cupcake World Tour games?

4) I can admit the obvious truth that Texas is a better basketball team than Georgia Tech. Why can you not admit the obvious truth that outside of beating Purdue and Kansas seven years ago, Shaka Smart has ranged from mediocre to abysmal as a college basketball coach and is dramatically over his head at Texas?

You're obviously just trolling me. Your arguments here are not only bad, they are factually wrong. How is 78th out of 350 in the top 20%? That must be Sooner math. And even if your math wasn't wrong, it's still another dumb argument--what does being in the top 20% matter in a 350-team league where UT-San Antonio has a team?

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

If Texas were to face Georgia Tech on a neutral court today, the spread would be -9 for Texas. So the argument that these two teams are similar in strength sucks almost as much as Oklahoma does.

Sagarin says 6.5.  That corresponds to a win percentage of 73.7%.  So GT wins 26.3% of the time. To put it in terms you will relate to, imagine a Texas player shooting a 3 pointer. GT wins vs TX about as often as it goes in.

GT is 78 in Sagarin. TX has already lost to #58, 62, and 133 at home and #71 on the road, so losing to GT wouldn't be some amazing colossal upset.

6 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

You're obviously just trolling me. Your arguments here are not only bad, they are factually wrong. How is 78th out of 350 in the top 20%? That must be Sooner math. And even if your math wasn't wrong, it's still another dumb argument--what does being in the top 20% matter in a 350-team league where UT-San Antonio has a team?

Oh, JFC dude. OK, they are in the top 22.096317% of teams in KenPom, not top 20%.  Clearly that invalidates the point. 

Also it is 353, not 350. OMG CAN'T YOU MATH???

You acted like he was playing in an entirely different environment. Playing at Ga Tech is MUCH more comparable to playing at Texas than at UTSA is the point.

Edited by TXSooner518

3 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

GT is 78 in Sagarin, so losing to GT wouldn't be some amazing colossal upset.

No, but them being 78th in the country may well explain why Banks can get 25 minutes per game on that team but not here at Texas.

I'm done with this. You are a smart guy and I realize you are just needling me here. Fuck off.

• Fuck You 7

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic