The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Is there some specific, measurable way to test/compare the volume of two guitars? I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a MIM Telecaster, and I swear the Telecaster is just plain louder than the LP. It doesn't seem like that should be the case.

E.g., if I have my amp cranked up a little bit with the Tele at its max volume, I would expect to plug the LP and at its max volume feel like the amp sounded louder/more distorted. Instead it's not even AS loud w/the LP plugged in. I've toggled everything on/off/up/down and the upper limit of both in any position is, the Tele is louder.

Do I have this wrong? Am I assuming something I shouldn't about the two guitars? 

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Is there some specific, measurable way to test/compare the volume of two guitars? I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a MIM Telecaster, and I swear the Telecaster is just plain louder than the LP. It doesn't seem like that should be the case.

E.g., if I have my amp cranked up a little bit with the Tele at its max volume, I would expect to plug the LP and at its max volume feel like the amp sounded louder/more distorted. Instead it's not even AS loud w/the LP plugged in. I've toggled everything on/off/up/down and the upper limit of both in any position is, the Tele is louder.

Do I have this wrong? Am I assuming something I shouldn't about the two guitars? 

Generally speaking, most LP humbuckers are gonna be louder than Fender single coil pickups. 

I would start by looking at the height that your pickups are set at, which will affect your pickups' volume. In other words, how far away are your pickups from your strings? If the humbuckers on your Epiphone are set low or the pickups on your Fender are set high, that could explain the difference in volume that you're hearing. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah it would be a toss up for me as to whose skill I’d rather have, Nuno or Brad. Probably Brad.

Those guitars are silly...but that Lannister Jag is kinda cool.

Only problem with having Brad's skill is Peyton Manning always bothering you to get the band back together.

• Like 1

I'm going to cross-post this to the pedalphile thread, but I'm getting ready to take a haul to the auction sites.  Will be more details on that thread, but hit me up if you're interested in saving a little $ on one of these:

Wampler Tumnus (small footprint)

Wampler Tweed '57

TC Electronics Viscous Vibe

TC Electronics Corona Chorus

MXR phase 100

Durham Electronics Mucho Busto

Cusack Effects Tap-a-Whirl Tremolo

Electro Harmonix Talking Machine

Last thing in the world I needed was yet another cheapass Squier, but this 2002 20th anniversary Squier Standard Strat was just so pretty and so clean, for $60 I was unable to resist. Got a decent off-brand bag with it, too. Looks like the bridge saddles were upgraded from the typical chrome painted version.

Forgive the quick and dirty cell phone pic in the bathroom to minimally fulfill thread requirement.

squier20.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Like 4

So, builder types:  say you're looking to build a very high value Parts-Tele.  What brands, models etc. would you recommend for the individual components?  Budget is ~ $500 for all the parts.

I'm so partial to Warmoth necks but even their Screamin' Deals start at $225.  That leaves a pretty lean budget for body, pickups, and hardware.  What brands are (say) the Honda to Warmoth's BMW when it comes to necks and bodies?  What brands of pickups would you suggest?  Aiming for a classic Tele look and sound, maybe a bit on the high output side.

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

Last thing in the world I needed was yet another cheapass Squier, but this 2002 20th anniversary Squier Standard Strat was just so pretty and so clean, for $60 I was unable to resist. Got a decent off-brand bag with it, too. Looks like the bridge saddles were upgraded from the typical chrome painted version.

Forgive the quick and dirty cell phone pic in the bathroom to minimally fulfill thread requirement.

squier20.jpg

I think those are the stock saddles for the Standard model, DougO. Those are actually pretty decent guitars and are much higher quality than Squier’s Bullet and Affinity series. Pretty sure those are alnico pickups too. That’s a lot of guitar for $60. 

So, builder types:  say you're looking to build a very high value Parts-Tele.  What brands, models etc. would you recommend for the individual components?  Budget is ~ $500 for all the parts.
I'm so partial to Warmoth necks but even their Screamin' Deals start at $225.  That leaves a pretty lean budget for body, pickups, and hardware.  What brands are (say) the Honda to Warmoth's BMW when it comes to necks and bodies?  What brands of pickups would you suggest?  Aiming for a classic Tele look and sound, maybe a bit on the high output side.

I would say that something like a Mighty Mite would be the best bet for that price range. Even Fender takeoffs are pretty expensive as seen here.

got. damn.  

probably first off should be sorry about your dad, Chief.  

has a song been written about when, to fuel your coke habit, you pawned your dads 1962 batwing j45 that he bought with his first paycheck from the railroad, and then your girlfriend got it back and then you married her?  You might need 4 verses.  Maybe 5 now.

And that's at least two brazilian rosewoods you've got now, probably more.  Incredible.  Each one with a story.

I've been on a Jason Isbell kick.  If anyone is in a rut or bored with cowboy chords (but wants to keep playing cowboy chords) I recommend marinating in this for a few spins and then sitting down with a guitar and watching this excellent tutorial

if you guys are like me (and I suspect you are), you pick up lots of little walk ups and chord modifications from different songs and work them into your playing all over.  there are some nice pretty interesting ones in here.

• Like 2

Real sorry to hear about your Dad, CHIEF.

I agree -- those Alvarez Yari models are gems.  A lot of players don't know about them.  First one I encountered was when I was engineering a record by Larry Seaman (Standing Waves).  He brought that thing in and it just sang into the microphone.  It was a phenomenal sounding guitar.

Sorry to hear about your dad Chief.

50th anniversary of this performance is coming up on June 12th.  This video has it all.  Hells Angels, fucked up cro magnon man, naked chick trying to get on the stage, a dog walking across the stage and the Hells Angels taking on the crowd at the end of the song.

It also has my favorite rock n roll bass line of all-time although it's not as apparent live as it is in the studio version.

Edited by VABuckeye

On 5/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, Foggy Notion said:

I think those are the stock saddles for the Standard model, DougO. Those are actually pretty decent guitars and are much higher quality than Squier’s Bullet and Affinity series. Pretty sure those are alnico pickups too. That’s a lot of guitar for $60. 

Could be, but I have a 2000 standard from the same factory and it has the typical cheap blocky chrome ones.