Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

I would call the Samples news the straw that broke the camel's back. If he is that dead set against working with Herman, then fire Herman. Getting a young, up and comer with proven recruiting chops back on staff would have been a hell of a lot more useful than "preserving stability" or whatever the fucking reason for keeping Herman around is supposed to be.

Burn. It. To. The. Fucking. Ground. If it's this diseased? Kill the disease.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I would call the Samples news the straw that broke the camel's back. If he is that dead set against working with Herman, then fire Herman. Getting a young, up and comer with proven recruiting chops back on staff would have been a hell of a lot more useful than "preserving stability" or whatever the fucking reason for keeping Herman around is supposed to be.

Dude he's a second-year assistant coach working in his hometown, and his dad is still sending his all-world QB to us (knock on wood). There are other good WR coaches in the world.

The fixation on Samples (and I like the guy!) has gotten a bit strange.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

no offer is made for a position coach when you don't even have an OC in place and honestly Samples isn't taking a job elsewhere while recruiting for SMU or until the Texas stuff shakes out...

Edited by NoName

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I think I'm probably overly caffeinated right now, but hearing anybody suggest that there's a culture that coaches want to avoid around here? Yeah, that's not what I want to fucking hear.

For real. That's a huge kick to the nuts. I mean, on one hand I get it, but on the other hand it's Texas. We're still a name brand and the fertile recruiting is top 3. I can't blame them for wanting to avoid Herman, but other than that, it's pretty unbelievable. 

44 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Nobody got killed.  

How is that a worse scenario than what has actually played out? There are multiple people that could have died and actually improved our situation. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Eh, the whole board's been circling around him for months. @Walden Ponderer just went full Misery.

I’d be fine if Samples came back, but I reject the premise that “the whole board” has been all over him. That’s hyperbolic laziness. 

I also don’t think that Samples update is at all meaningful. If we have an OC in place and that guy and Herman agree to go after Samples, we’ll hear plenty about it and have a much clearer idea of whether this thing needs to be lit on fire or maybe there’s a shot to save it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m almost to the point where I can’t read about the football program unless I’m alone in a dimly candlelit room with an Everybody Hurts symphonic instrumental playing quietly. 

I’m upbeat. I’ve had a rough few months in business and then Herman buttfucking things and Shaka Smart and Pearce being the UT baseball coach, it all just felt like a dismal tide, washing in wave after wave. Now that a housecleaning is happening and some personal business stuff has been sorted, I feel like, fuck, there’s some daylight here in the things that entertain me. Now, when Herman fucks the UT football part of this up for me? My plan is to murder SydneyCarton’s cat-murdering dog anonymously for fresh, healthy entertainment. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Samples and Herman have a good relationship

• Like 1

If we still land JQJ, I won't even care about the Samples ordeal. If he can help us land Wheaton, I'll be on the train, but like others have said, has he even proven himself as a coach? He's obviously a great recruiter, but we need a coach who can teach fundamentals and get the most out of our former All-American hs WR's. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
IPhone AIDS

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Just for what it's worth, Ash to DC would almost definitely mean Overshown to LB. No idea whether that would be good or bad, but it would definitely be necessary.

It would mean a lot of other things, too, but I really, really, really hope whoever is pulling the strings on our hiring process is asking the right questions, because these coaches need to be vetted for their own qualities/philosophies, but also with regard to how those qualities/philosophies play out given the roster they'll be dealing with. A rabid, manic, pipe-wielding middle linebacker with wheels is not going to magically appear just because we hire a new DC.

Call Overshown whatever he wants to be called. But he would be a 1st round LB in the right scheme. I would spin him, and Tyler Owens to LB if they would consider it. Big safeties playing, as linebackers, close to the line for run support, but not being a liability in pass coverage is the ticket in the Big XII, AND the NFL. Tyler Owens' speed from sideline to sideline would make people forget Kenneth Murray at OU.

CHIEF

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

We don’t have a position available that we can give him a real paycheck but not actually have him have too much coaching responsibility?

He wants coaching responsibility, that's the whole point. We could have just thrown the Brinks truck at him like Carrington otherwise.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m almost to the point where I can’t read about the football program unless I’m alone in a dimly candlelit room with an Everybody Hurts symphonic instrumental playing quietly. 

I'm to the point where I read the CR and get pissy when people mention football.

• Like 1

Mike Roach: Assessing the stability of the 2020 class

Texas coaches are on the road for in-home visits trying to hold together the 2020 recruiting class. As prospects evaluate where things stand with the future of the program, we update you with the latest on what we are hearing.

Very concerned

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite

As we reported earlier in the week, Jordan is taking a long look at the Utes. The speedy running back prospect was interested in Utah before committing to Texas, and the Utes have stayed in heavy contact with him since. Jordan took an official visit last weekend, and Texas will have to work hard on their in-home visit to shut down Jordan’s recruitment.

Somewhat concerned

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler

Crawford says he is ready to shut things down following his in-home visit with the Texas staff, but sources tell Horns247 that Crawford is still watching the situation with Jason Washington’s future closely. It will be interesting to see what happens with Crawford in the next few weeks, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him delay his signing with TCU being a likely landing place should he leave.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek

Alford affirmed his commitment publicly following the staff changes on Sunday, but like Kitan Crawford, sources tell Horns247 that his commitment could come down to what happens with Craig Naivar’s future. Naivar was the one consistent link recruiting Alford over the last year, and the four-star safety could delay if it becomes that big of a factor. Alford’s situation will be delicate as he’s set to early enroll, so if he wants to make a move the timing will be tight.

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple

Johnston also affirmed his commitment on Sunday, but sources told Horns247 that he reached out to TCU shortly thereafter. Johnston was close to Drew Mehringer, but he could probably be calmed once the new offensive staff is hired, so the in-home visits will be very important for Texas.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin

Omeire has given no real reason for concern, and we haven’t heard anything behind the scenes. He should probably be listed in the not-concerned category, but he has already flipped once and his two primary recruiters are no longer on staff. Omeire is planning to enroll early, so Texas could likely lock things down with a strong in-home and a good offensive coordinator hire.

Not concerned

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis

Card has been shut down for over a year and hasn’t taken any visits or had contact with any other schools. He’s set to early enroll and should be at Texas in January.

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park

Like Card, Dorbah has been shut down and his mind hasn’t been on any other programs. Dorbah committed more so to the program than anything else. It sounds like he expects to shut things down and sign early.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper

Majors was one of the first commits in the class and his parents are set to move to Austin soon. He will sign and enroll early at Texas.

OL Logan Parr, San Antonio O’Connor

Like Majors, Parr is as locked in as one could be with his commitment. The four-star offensive lineman is set to graduate soon and enroll in Austin.

OL Andrej Karic, Southlake Carroll

Karic and the rest of the offensive lineman are one group that appears to have firm footing with their position coach. Herb Hand is still on staff and it sounds like he will remain that way. Karic has been locked in since he committed.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves

Garth is pretty quiet, but we’ve heard no rumblings around his recruitment and he’s set to join his former high school teammate Roschon Johnson in Austin.

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview

Hullaby is another long-time commit, and he’s been ready to shut things down and enroll all year. We expect him to sign early.

S Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin

Thompson intends to enroll early, and he hasn’t had second thoughts since committing. I don’t see much need for worry here.

ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville

Jackson told Horns247 that he intends to shut things down and sign early. Sources near Duncanville advised that things could get shaky if Tim Beck were let go, but Jackson has never given a reason for doubt.

WR Dajon Harrison, Hutto

Harrison called Texas a dream school when he made his commitment. I expect no hiccups and for Harrison to sign early.

RB Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic

Robinson told our Blair Angulo that he has no plans to make any other visits. This is likely one that fans will sweat until signing day, but right now I see no reason for concern.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy-Ridge

Broughton and his family were sold on the total package of the program over individual coaches. Broughton is set to enroll early and be at Texas in January.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Assessing the stability of the 2020 class

Troy Omeire in the concerned section, yet here's what is said "Omeire has given no real reason for concern, and we haven’t heard anything behind the scenes. He should probably be listed in the not-concerned category". 

Mike Roach, ladies and gentlemen. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Why would Ty Jordan go away from his mother who is ill? Isn't him staying home the reason for that? 

Mike Roach might be more useless than FCB and Wescott. 

While I generally agree with you that it's against his stated reasons for committing to UT, Roach isn't the only analyst saying Utah is a real threat after his OV there.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Walden?

Yes, sir.

I want to say two words to you.  Just two words.

Yes, sir.

Are you listening?

Yes, I am.

Emmet Jones.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

While I generally agree with you that it's against his stated reasons for committing to UT, Roach isn't the only analyst saying Utah is a real threat after his OV there.

I just don't get why he would abandon his mom for Utah, even if they are having a good year. He spurned USC to commit to here because of his mom. I'm just confused, I guess? I assume he's accepted that he has to make his own decisions in the end, and I hope he chooses us, but I can't fault a kid who wants to do his own thing.