BigDHornfan

Surly Dad Thread

I had chicken pox as a kid and shingles as an adult. Shingles is only contagious to people who have never had chicken pox. My wife (then gf) doesn't recall every having chicken pox but she didn't catch it from me. My boss had never had it either and made me stay home for a week.

When we were kids, if a cousin got chicken pox all the other kids were brought over to get it, too.

You ever watch the South Park episode called Ookie Mouth or something like that? That’s what the parents do.

Get the PBS Kids video app on your tablet/TV/whatever.  

Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum dropped a ton of episodes (launched today).  Really cool for the elementary school crowd.  Even had an episode on Neil Armstrong, the Wright Brothers, and a bunch of others.  

One of the few newer kids shows I can stand.  

Get the PBS Kids video app on your tablet/TV/whatever.  
Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum dropped a ton of episodes (launched today).  Really cool for the elementary school crowd.  Even had an episode on Neil Armstrong, the Wright Brothers, and a bunch of others.  
One of the few newer kids shows I can stand.  

News I can use re episodes. I have the app but we limit Jr.’s screen time so neither of us have seen this one.

By the same token, we were at Half Price books recently and somehow he found “Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales.” It’s basically a riff on Scheherazade. Each book is Nathan Hale telling his hangman a tale of famous history to delay his hanging. It’s set up in comic - excuse me, “graphic novel” - form. Very well executed, you might say. We’ve done the Doolittle Raid and WWI and looking for more. For soon to be 7 Chad Jr., it’s the thing that literally keeps him up - trying to read - every night. I highly recommend it.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

News I can use re episodes. I have the app but we limit Jr.’s screen time so neither of us have seen this one.

By the same token, we were at Half Price books recently and somehow he found “Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales.” It’s basically a riff on Scheherazade. Each book is Nathan Hale telling his hangman a tale of famous history to delay his hanging. It’s set up in comic - excuse me, “graphic novel” - form. Very well executed, you might say. We’ve done the Doolittle Raid and WWI and looking for more. For soon to be 7 Chad Jr., it’s the thing that literally keeps him up - trying to read - every night. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, will have to check those out.  

We are trying to limit screentime as well, but with the crappy weather, I’ve let him watch several episodes.  Each episode is 22 minutes, and is split in half for two segments - he’s watched Neil Armstrong (he already knew a lot about him) and Julia Child, Leonardo Da Vinci and Amelia Earhart, Bronte sisters and Wright Brothers, Mark Twain and Abigail Adams.   .   

They are actually well-done and seem to keep even his sister interested.     It’s a show for biographical/history nerds.   It’s odd because they show the famous folks as little kids, and then keep them as little kids as they do what they become famous for, but it works for kids and doesn’t confuse them    

I’ve spent half an hour discussing what happened to Amelia Earhart.   That been the only downside.   And we’ve added a ton of books to his library list.  Not bad things.  Just time consuming for me.    

I’m going to write the producers and tell them we need an Earl Campbell episode.  

The pairings are...interesting.   The Isaac Newton episode is paired with Golda Meir.   Winston Churchill with Cleopatra. 

Yeah, Doomlet is stoked about Xavier Riddle. 

As far as decent kids shows/cartoons go, Teen Titans Go is funny as shit, and Big City Greens is pretty good (but will lead to a lot of bizarre stories and tall tales out of your kid.) 

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Disney+ live this morning, but The Lion Gaurd won't play. The three year old is severely disappointed. 

Fancy Fuckin’ Nancy worked just fine.  
*sigh*

Yeah, Doomlet is stoked about Xavier Riddle. 

As far as decent kids shows/cartoons go, Teen Titans Go is funny as shit, and Big City Greens is pretty good (but will lead to a lot of bizarre stories and tall tales out of your kid.) 

Love watching Teen Titans Go with my son. The Night Begins to Shine is a great bunch of episodes.

If you haven’t started Gumball, do it. It’s brilliant and twisted with a lot of smart humor.

Fuck last night was brutal. My 1.5 year old usually conks easily around 9, wakes up an hour later for a bottle then sleeps the next 5-9 hours. The fucking MNF game dragged before OT so he woke up just enough to have an hr nap.

Fucker didn't go back to sleep until 230.

Teens Titans Go is amazing. There are a handful of kids shows I can watch and that is one of the best. Others are Boss Baby Back in Business (my favorite) and Trolls the Beat Goes On (Don't knock it until you have seen it, seriously!)

Just found out my company is rolling out a new 4 weeks of parental leave policy, to be taken in at least one week increments before the child is one year old. Still counts for kids born before the new policy. So I basically get 7 weeks of vacation next year. Just might spend a month in Mexico.

11 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Just found out my company is rolling out a new 4 weeks of parental leave policy, to be taken in at least one week increments before the child is one year old. Still counts for kids born before the new policy. So I basically get 7 weeks of vacation next year. Just might spend a month in Mexico.

Ours did the same thing for 2020. 4 weeks plus your regular vacations.  Never thought I’d see it happen.  

If it improves parenting and commitment, it’s well worth it. Eagerly awaiting societal impact studies 2 decades from now.  If it’s 4 weeks of extra X-box and golf, then it’s bullshit.

Last thing I wanted to do during those times was sit around the fucking house. If the kid had a big appointment or something, I found a way to make it happen; and with our little one they were numerous, to say the least. Otherwise, my ass was at work taking all of the extra work/ assignments I could get( 100% commish was badass then)

Hope it pays off in the long run, for all of us.

Edited by Iceman

Mine spends a lot of money training new employees and I think is having a more difficult time retaining new employees than in the past due to millennials coming into the work force with the understanding that you look out for yourself because your employer is only looking out for itself as well. Combine that with large scale retirement of a whole generation of boomers and the experience they take with them, and it's clear that they have to retain employees for longer than a few years.

15 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Mine spends a lot of money training new employees and I think is having a more difficult time retaining new employees than in the past due to millennials coming into the work force with the understanding that you look out for yourself because your employer is only looking out for itself as well. Combine that with large scale retirement of a whole generation of boomers and the experience they take with them, and it's clear that they have to retain employees for longer than a few years.

It's almost always an employee retention effort. I bet you're in an industry where it's a seller's talent market or where losing an employee has a high revenue impact. They've figured out the cost of providing those four weeks vs. the cost savings in reduced turnover and determined that it's plus or close enough to plus where "employee engagement" can make up the difference. This is what I do for a living - it's a lot of fun. Almost every single time the numbers justify giving the employees stuff, whether it's pay increases, benefits or part-time to full-time conversion, or perks like this.

I'm guessing you're in tech, healthcare, or some sort of professional/b2b sales.

I'd love to have this but my boss is a dick. The drawbacks of being self-employed I suppose.

Edited by BradInATX

I'm in the chemicals industry. A chemical plant is pretty complex, so experienced engineers and operators are essential to keep things running and running safely.
Ah yeah. Makes sense. I saw similar at a nuke plant I worked with. They can't replace you easily because X and millennials aren't going into those fields.

So in the past three days it appears Frozen has replaced the Lion King as our 3yo's favorite movie and she has learned to ask Alexa to play Let it Go. Over and over and over again...fml
Ah you become numb. Soon youll be watching her reenact the movie in frozen dresses.

Started to make a new thread, but it probably belongs here. A friend of mine has a son that's a rapidly rising star in BMX racing. Been getting all kinds of accolades.

@henrygandorf you could write a great script with this story.

Local story

BMX-Feature-Web.jpg

Long before he was competing in BMX races, Bowie resident Toby Dunn knew his son had a thing for his bike.
“Jaden’s first bicycle he actually wore the tires off,” Dunn said. “Not from sliding the back tire. I mean he wore out a set of tires he rode it so much.”
Jaden cannot remember life without him riding his bike,
“I just started riding street with some friends and just grew to love bicycles,” Jaden said.
That passion for riding has paid off as Jaden won the Texas State Championship in BMX racing for the 13-year-old intermediate division on Sept. 8. That was followed by the tougher Gold Cup in Austin on Sept. 15., where he finished second overall. This was in less than a year of competing on the national circuit.
Dunn was more familiar with motorcycle races himself, but when Jaden brought up BMX racing as something he might want to do, Dunn and Jaden’s mother Amy sent him to a BMX camp called Rebel Run in Houston after racing in a few local contests.
“When we picked him up, they said the only problem they had with him was they could not keep him off the bike,” Dunn said.
With a new bike for Christmas, Jaden started seriously competing on the national circuit for the first time after basketball season ended. With a newfound dedication and using everything he learned at Rebel Run, Jaden has racked up at least 16 first place finishes.
While Dunn and Amy fully support Jaden in this endeavor, it has been Jaden who has taken charge of his training and diet so he can go as far as he can. He has kept an A-B average while taking three advanced classes.
The teen lives with Amy in Weatherford where he goes to school, but sees Dunn often.
One of their projects is trying to set up a mini course in the back yard. While it is something Dunn is familiar with in motorcycle racing, it is a lot of work and is just in the starting stages right now.
While Jaden has some local sponsors, including Dunn’s place of work Lipscomb, they hope to attract some national sponsors in year two to help offset the bike maintenance and travel costs.
Two big races are still on the horizon for Jaden: the Lone Star National in Houston on Oct. 25-27 and the Grand Nationals in Tulsa, OK. on Nov. 28-Dec. 1.

He came in 2nd in Houston.

https://www.facebook.com/toby.dunn.3551/videos/144476136897755/

Edited by RPM

Yeah unless you secretly knocked up your friends wife 9 months before that kid was born. If that’s the case, we’re gonna need a story.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Started to make a new thread, but it probably belongs here. A friend of mine has a son that's a rapidly rising star in BMX racing. Been getting all kinds of accolades.

@henrygandorf you could write a great script with this story.

Local story

BMX-Feature-Web.jpg

Long before he was competing in BMX races, Bowie resident Toby Dunn knew his son had a thing for his bike.
“Jaden’s first bicycle he actually wore the tires off,” Dunn said. “Not from sliding the back tire. I mean he wore out a set of tires he rode it so much.”
Jaden cannot remember life without him riding his bike,
“I just started riding street with some friends and just grew to love bicycles,” Jaden said.
That passion for riding has paid off as Jaden won the Texas State Championship in BMX racing for the 13-year-old intermediate division on Sept. 8. That was followed by the tougher Gold Cup in Austin on Sept. 15., where he finished second overall. This was in less than a year of competing on the national circuit.
Dunn was more familiar with motorcycle races himself, but when Jaden brought up BMX racing as something he might want to do, Dunn and Jaden’s mother Amy sent him to a BMX camp called Rebel Run in Houston after racing in a few local contests.
“When we picked him up, they said the only problem they had with him was they could not keep him off the bike,” Dunn said.
With a new bike for Christmas, Jaden started seriously competing on the national circuit for the first time after basketball season ended. With a newfound dedication and using everything he learned at Rebel Run, Jaden has racked up at least 16 first place finishes.
While Dunn and Amy fully support Jaden in this endeavor, it has been Jaden who has taken charge of his training and diet so he can go as far as he can. He has kept an A-B average while taking three advanced classes.
The teen lives with Amy in Weatherford where he goes to school, but sees Dunn often.
One of their projects is trying to set up a mini course in the back yard. While it is something Dunn is familiar with in motorcycle racing, it is a lot of work and is just in the starting stages right now.
While Jaden has some local sponsors, including Dunn’s place of work Lipscomb, they hope to attract some national sponsors in year two to help offset the bike maintenance and travel costs.
Two big races are still on the horizon for Jaden: the Lone Star National in Houston on Oct. 25-27 and the Grand Nationals in Tulsa, OK. on Nov. 28-Dec. 1.

He came in 2nd in Houston.

https://www.facebook.com/toby.dunn.3551/videos/144476136897755/

Good stuff. If he keeps at it and moves into motocross type stuff, though, keep an eye out. One of my cousins was into doing stunts and stuff and was trying out a new ramp when he landed short. Nobody realized the handlebars caught him in the throat and he was walking around fine afterwards until he wasn't   his throat swelled up until it cut his airways off and he passed away. So let the kid do as much of that stiff as he wants, but read up on how to perform an emergency tracheotomy for the worse case scenario.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:53 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Good stuff. If he keeps at it and moves into motocross type stuff, though, keep an eye out. One of my cousins was into doing stunts and stuff and was trying out a new ramp when he landed short. Nobody realized the handlebars caught him in the throat and he was walking around fine afterwards until he wasn't   his throat swelled up until it cut his airways off and he passed away. So let the kid do as much of that stiff as he wants, but read up on how to perform an emergency tracheotomy for the worse case scenario.

Jesus christ, that took a turn.

Son had another febrile seizure on Tuesday. Just turned 6 last week. Thought we were done with this shit as his last one was 1.5 years ago. Dr says he's still barely in the window. I'll be glad when we don't have to worry about this every time he starts running a fever.

Open to all the prayers, good thoughts and positive vibes.  Heading to the hospital at 4:45 tomorrow morning for the birth of our first born (it's a boy via a scheduled C-section).  I don't think I have ever been so anxious/nervous in my life.   

Looking forward to contributing/learning from this thread shortly.  

Son had another febrile seizure on Tuesday. Just turned 6 last week. Thought we were done with this shit as his last one was 1.5 years ago. Dr says he's still barely in the window. I'll be glad when we don't have to worry about this every time he starts running a fever.

That was always a massive fear of mine, but we were pretty fortunate to not have either kid have one. My nephew has had a couple though

That was always a massive fear of mine, but we were pretty fortunate to not have either kid have one. My nephew has had a couple though
I'm just glad my daughter hasn't had the issue.

Open to all the prayers, good thoughts and positive vibes.  Heading to the hospital at 4:45 tomorrow morning for the birth of our first born (it's a boy via a scheduled C-section).  I don't think I have ever been so anxious/nervous in my life.   
Looking forward to contributing/learning from this thread shortly.  
Good luck to her and baby!!

3yo: I want a Minnie Mouse hairbrush.

MrsNAAL: maybe you van get one for Christmas.

3yo: No! For Texas!

Yes, my 3yo has decided that Texas is a holiday where you get presents. I told her Texas isn't until March and that Christmas comes first.