BigDHornfan

Surly Dad Thread

On 9/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, Modessit said:

If you can handle it, put the potty chair in the living room and have no diaper or underwear. Straight naked (waist down). Hopefully when he needs to potty, he goes in the chair.

But what really got my son (and later - daughter) potty-trained was daycare. Having the teachers take them all potty on a schedule and seeing their friends doing it, they picked it up really quick. But kids potty-trained by 2.5.

Doing this with the almost three year old right now over the long weekend. So far it's been successful, minus the one time he stood up on the couch and let his river flow... It's a damn good thing I love him.

Anyone with some insight on age gaps between 1st and 2nd child?  My wife is just through her first trimester and we have a 5yo daughter as well. She super amped up and excited for her baby sister to arrive but I’m curious about how she will handle it during newborn phase and then later on. 

My daughter was 4 when my son was born. She ran around telling everyone that was her baby. She loved him. He’s 6 now and they take turns seeing who can drive the other crazy first.

We have a three year age gap between ours. The oldest was super excited to have a baby sister until she was born. She asked if the baby was going to sleep at her mommy and daddy’s house. They are 7 & 4 now and play together extremely well most of the time. Especially considering they are together 24/7 now.

I have a 10yo and an 18mo. Older one can get a little jealous of the attention that the baby needs but in general she loves being a big sister. 

2 year gap between teh first and the second, 3 year gap between the second and third.

I'll tell you what.  Thank god they have had each other through the last six months.

5 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Long time listener, first time caller...the sleepiest burrito, aka SuperSport Jr., joined the world today. Happiest day of my life, I would move mountains for this kid.

995a59cf21cc5e1f3a45692fd4077d92.jpg

Congrats - I remember those days well.  And that's even the same footprint blanket our hospital had for all the newborns.

And hold onto your butt - your life will never be the same.  But do cherish these days as much as you can.  "They grow up fast" is absolutely spot on.

Congrats - I remember those days well.  And that's even the same footprint blanket our hospital had for all the newborns.
And hold onto your butt - your life will never be the same.  But do cherish these days as much as you can.  "They grow up fast" is absolutely spot on.

Pretty sure we had the same blanket on at least one of ours too. It’s amazing how fast time goes by once you have a kid.

Congrats

On the age gap, ours are almost exactly 3 years apart...it was a function of age and timing.  My wife was 34 when our first was born and 37 for the second, clock was ticking (though didn’t seem like it, both were conceived after like a month of ‘trying’ despite my hope it’d take a little longer lol).  

Im not sure it was the best, if we’d been a little younger I’d have preferred at least 4.  Our first turned 3 just as his sister was born, and it was like a light switch from sweet toddler to terrible threes...we thought he was sick as one day he just turned asshole.  It didn’t help that our newborn daughter was having massive digestive issues and was in pain / not sleeping well / crying all the time until she was six months and we finally got the right mix of formula + medicine to keep her more comfortable.  

Shortly after he turned 4 our first calmed down and things got quite a bit easier.  However my daughter just turned 4 and she still wakes up at 6 regardless of bed time, is a wild animal and exhibits plenty of terrible threes still.  I’m simultaneously trying to enjoy the last of her toddler cuteness and looking forward to her being older / calmer.  

That time period dealing with a 3yo and high maintenance infant put a real stress on our marriage wherein I didn’t react well (was also in grad school at the time), my wife was usually in a foul mood, and I self medicated with alcohol spinning the whole thing into a Charlie Strong level of apathy that we just recently recovered from.   In hindsight it’d have been easier if we had a newborn daughter while our son had been a little older.  

Then again everyone and every baby is different, so just sharing my thoughts on age gap.  

Edited by Homercles

Our boys are 5 years apart.  Oldest one loved being a big brother.  Youngest one loved being the little comic relief guy, which still persists to this day.  Through school, the biggest challenge was getting teachers/ coaches who had taught the older one that the younger brother wasn't the same kid.  He had the personality to overcome it, but it was an awfully big shadow to overcome academically, with regard to the teachers' expectations.  

They are both in their 20's now, and are very close.  It's very, very rewarding to watch as a dad.

On the age gap, ours are almost exactly 3 years apart...it was a function of age and timing.  My wife was 34 when our first was born and 37 for the second, clock was ticking (though didn’t seem like it, both were conceived after like a month of ‘trying’ despite my hope it’d take a little longer lol).  

Im not sure it was the best, if we’d been a little younger I’d have preferred at least 4.  Our first turned 3 just as his sister was born, and it was like a light switch from sweet toddler to terrible threes...we thought he was sick as one day he just turned asshole.  It didn’t help that our newborn daughter was having massive digestive issues and was in pain / not sleeping well / crying all the time until she was six months and we finally got the right mix of formula + medicine to keep her more comfortable.  

Shortly after he turned 4 our first calmed down and things got quite a bit easier.  However my daughter just turned 4 and she still wakes up at 6 regardless of bed time, is a wild animal and exhibits plenty of terrible threes still.  I’m simultaneously trying to enjoy the last of her toddler cuteness and looking forward to her being older / calmer.  

That time period dealing with a 3yo and high maintenance infant put a real stress on our marriage wherein I didn’t react well (was also in grad school at the time), my wife was usually in a foul mood, and I self medicated with alcohol spinning the whole thing into a Charlie Strong level of apathy that we just recently recovered from.   In hindsight it’d have been easier if we had a newborn daughter while our son had been a little older.  

Then again everyone and every baby is different, so just sharing my thoughts on age gap.  

Haha wow.. same time line for us. When our oldest hit about 4.5 and she’s now past 5 she’s calmed down and been a good big sister. Rough houses with little brother every once in a while but he’s 90%in everything so in early 2022 he’ll be picking on her.

Team foot blanket too back in 2015 lol

I had a short time (few days) were I was getting irritated my son was coming back downstairs after we put him to bed. He’s 9 and should not be back out of his room. However, he would come down with a different excuse and ask me to take him back up.

I realized he wanted me to tuck him in again, after his mom already did. One day, it will stop. Till then, I’ll get up and go back up with him for that extra hug.

And for those that know how many issues we have had with public education, he’s killing it in Virtual General Ed. He talks to his teacher. He sends her emails for clarification. He waits till he’s the last kid on to ask her for help. We may be one of the only families that are thriving in virtual school.

Our boys are 2 years and 10 days apart. It seems  like a good gap but I don’t have anything to compare it to. Our oldest was sleeping all night in his room just before the youngest was born. The oldest potty trained pretty quick when we spent a weekend on it when he was almost 2.5, so we didn’t have two kids in diapers for very long. Now they are nearly 3.5 and 1.5 and the little one is transitioning into toddler and starting to play with big brother on the reg. I think they will be very close, and the narrow age gap should help. There’s 4.5 years between me and my brother, and I always felt like he was significantly younger even 35 years later. 

In the course of my job I often have occasion to work with many teenagers, about all of whom are from challenging backgrounds.  Not that they're writing any of this down or even listening to me, but I tell them to remember the numbers: 26, 30, 2, and 4.

Don't get married until you're at least 26.

Don't have kids until you're at least 30.

And when you do have kids, have 2 kids 4 years apart.

My own gruesome twosome are just 2 years apart and often I feel that's not enough separation.

In the course of my job I often have occasion to work with many teenagers, about all of whom are from challenging backgrounds.  Not that they're writing any of this down or even listening to me, but I tell them to remember the numbers: 26, 30, 2, and 4.
My own gruesome twosome are just 2 years apart and often I feel that's not enough separation.

Let’s see..28, 29, 2 and 3. Crap

24 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Let’s see..28, 29, 2 and 3. Crap

Laughing rep was not enough.

All i know is we fucked up and had our kids too early and it was hard as fuck.  It sure is nice now though. I turn 50 this year and we've been empty nesters for 3 years.  It is beyond awesome.

Lol holy hell. I’ve never heard that, but it’s exactly what I did. I won’t lie though. They go through periods where they absolutely try my patience.

My wife used to get so aggravated when my daughter would come get in bed with us. I always told to leave her alone, it wouldn’t always happen. Same with my son. He can’t hardly sleep if I’m not in bed with him. I’m a grown ass man, going to bed at 8:45. Lol

Doing this with the almost three year old right now over the long weekend. So far it's been successful, minus the one time he stood up on the couch and let his river flow... It's a damn good thing I love him.

We tried with my son a few months ago (he was 2 years three months) and it was a fail. We decided to give it another 3-4 months before trying again. Figure we will have to get really serious as he approaches 3

Every kid is different.  We tried to force one of ours too early and they just tell you to fuck right off in their own way.  You’re taking the right approach.  

On 9/12/2020 at 11:20 AM, Jkwellborn said:

17e568420d1ac3e0a675958571dc49ea.jpg

I’m certainly guilty of this, it sucks you can’t DVR your life easily...there are so many moments where I refused to pull out my phone because I wanted to really soak it in and not through the lens of a camera.  I wish I could do both.  

Then again I counted the number of times I heard ‘daddy’ from 615am wake up to 715am when I dropped them off at school...38 times between the two of them.  My 4yo cried twice.  It can be really hard to enjoy those fleeting moments when you’re needed over twice every minute, and your daughter is bawling in the car because you wouldn’t let her open her window when it’s raining.  

Then again there will be a time when they only say daddy when they want something and eventually it’ll just be ‘dad’.  

So there's a new clothing line coming out, just in time for school to start back up in person.

If I send my second grader to school in one of these jackets, he's probably going to have to turn it inside out, and I'm going to get a phone call, aren't I?

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Haha. My 6 year old son is really big into transformers right now. But it’s G1 or go home. Y’all help a brother out and keep an eye pealed for a G1 Optimus Prime with a trailer since that’s what Santa’s supposed to be bringing.

Homercles, I’ve taken so many pictures and videos that are a little off since I wanna actually see it it’s not funny. I love watching and listening to them as the kids grow older and letting them see that. I’ve got a ps3 fat boy that’s full of pictures of my daughter that I need to either fix or get the pics off the HD.

My daughter doesn’t call me daddy nearly as much as she used to. It kinda makes me sad thinking about it.

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Haha. My 6 year old son is really big into transformers right now. But it’s G1 or go home. Y’all help a brother out and keep an eye pealed for a G1 Optimus Prime with a trailer since that’s what Santa’s supposed to be bringing.

I know Hasbro has been (or will be) pumping out a ton of retro stuff - G I Joe, more old-school Transformers, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Pound Puppies, R.O.M., and a few others.  They are going all in on the nostalgia front for Christmas.

And Micro Machines are out and in the wild, as somebody mentioned.  I love those, because they are small, and my kid has enough big stuff to last for a few years.

Walmart is launching the retro G I Joe 3.75" line in a few weeks.  Which is good, because too many of my old Joes have been broken by my son (not his fault, they were not made well in some cases).

All you gents with your young kids, enjoy them while they're young. It goes really fast and before you know it they are 12 going on 13 and saying how much they hate you because you won't let them stay on devices all night to chat with their moronic friends on the internet or watch TikTok videos or stream Netflix all night because you want to impose reasonable limits and ensure they get a decent night's sleep or not turn into a braindead zombie. 

18 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I posted a little in the sex thread but damn I cannot wait to be a first time dad at 40 in about 4 months. 

Congrats on being both a man and a father. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

All you gents with your young kids, enjoy them while they're young. It goes really fast and before you know it they are 12 going on 13 and saying how much they hate you because you won't let them stay on devices all night to chat with their moronic friends on the internet or watch TikTok videos or stream Netflix all night because you want to impose reasonable limits and ensure they get a decent night's sleep or not turn into a braindead zombie. 

Here, let me fix that:

It goes really fast and before you know it they are 12 going on 13 and saying how much they hate you because you won't let them stay on devices all night to chat

or

It goes really fast and before you know it they are 4 going on 5 and saying how much they hate you because you won't let them stay on devices for more than 10-15 minutes at a time to play Toca World, and because you think Ryan is the work of the Devil!

Did your 4 going on 5 sneak into your room while you and the wife were watching a TV show to grab your laptop so he/she could get online and then hide the laptop when questioned? Now I'm playing whack-a-mole trying to disable wifi after a certain time with different devices on my router. 

Surly dads, speaking of devices...we're at a point that I probably need to start thinking about parental controls on device content delivery.  I have a netgear router and apparently they have some sort of down load solution, but I haven't look taht far into it.  What if anything are you guys doing to control content to devices?

Thanks for bringing that up.   Wife asked me to look into it for five year old I don’t even know where to start.  Need it for at home tablet device and also what can we doing to ensure school issued tablet is also a secure as it can be?

How old? I've read good things about Disney Circle. 

For us, our issue is more about screen time than what they're looking at with some exceptions. I've limited the screen time for the devices directly through my Mac router. So it's set for a period of time each day which I can adjust. As far as websites, I've read a little about OpenDNS but haven't used it yet. I'm thinking of blocking Discord for my 12 year old as that's the thing that tends to distract her during virtual learning time. An issue with that is it can affect other sites you may need, for instance Discord being blocked can possibly block Slack as they use a similar structure through their gateway. 

I know a guy at work who is 62 years old. Latin, ladies man (so he thinks), lives in Miami who drives a fancy car, half buttoned shirt, you know the type.

Anyways, he set his trap with outward appearances and money and landed a young lady and, boom! 62 years old he's going to be a father again (his kids are like mid-30's from his past life).

I can't even imagine. reminds me of the Theo Von skit, "my dad was 78, so that was cool. he had a stroke when i was a baby. So we both learned to walk at the same time".

How old? I've read good things about Disney Circle. 
For us, our issue is more about screen time than what they're looking at with some exceptions. I've limited the screen time for the devices directly through my Mac router. So it's set for a period of time each day which I can adjust. As far as websites, I've read a little about OpenDNS but haven't used it yet. I'm thinking of blocking Discord for my 12 year old as that's the thing that tends to distract her during virtual learning time. An issue with that is it can affect other sites you may need, for instance Discord being blocked can possibly block Slack as they use a similar structure through their gateway. 

Y’all are much nicer than me. They get zero screen time during the week. We make them go outside.