Stolen Identity: The Very Strange Story of Longhorn Ron Mckelvey

TreatyOak

The "Ron Mckelvey" story is one of stolen identity and is easily the strangest Longhorn football legend of all time.  

If you don't know him, Flemlo Raps tells great football stories, and now turns his attention to the craziest chapter in Longhorn lore. How strange must it have been to learn hours before the Sugar Bowl that a Longhorn reserve was really a 30-year old man using someone's else's identity! 

Flemlo's entertaining video comes off as very sympathetic to Ron Mckelvey, I mean Ron Weaver. 

Seems like a natural for a movie. 

Take a look.

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Knowing him we also cheered for him to get in games.  He got in late in that blowout of Tech (the game where Brackens splattered their kicker)

Narrator...."it did not go well"

He gave up the late score that ended the shutout

I came in here to post this very thing. Bastard ruined that shutout beat down of Tech, lol. 

i'm not kidding at all when I say that just now...on this thread...I'm finding out that Ron McKelvey is black.  Granted the whole debacle happened before I got to UT, but not that much more before.  

I was in school when this happened. It was just bizarre. 

I like the fact that all hell didn’t break loose and the righteous hammer of someone’s justice didn’t have to drop on this guy. I feel like if this happened today, they’d be trying to send him to prison and decrying the fact that some other poor bastard didn’t get his chance because boo hoo. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dewey said:

Virginia Tech wasnt mighty back then, that game set them up for future success. And neither bowl game was worth a shit, first half, second... Mackovic. 

Fuck that was a weird game, even for NOLA. James Brown threw 3 picks and fumbled on a sack (where he was down), all in the 4Q.  One of the picks resulted in VT TD, and the sack fumble was returned for a TD.  Stoney Clark got ejected for throwing the ball at a VT player.  

Got in a cab on the way to the game and the cab driver said "is your fake player playing?"  First I'd heard of it.  My immediate thought was "we're going to have to vacate wins, forfeit, etc."  In retrospect that may have been the highlight of the night other than the VT fans who were wandering through the Quarter saying things like "I can't believe we're here.  Have you ever even MET anyone who's been to New Orleens?"

• Like 1

I went to every home game and followed the team closely and had no idea who he was and why it was such a big deal. Austin media could not stop talking about it, all I wanted to do was read about the Sugar bowl, and all the Statesman could do was talk about this guy. My beginning into "fuck the Statesman "

Mind you that this was pre-mobile internet obviously but I remember initially hearing second-hand about this when the story first broke and was initially under the impression from what I was being told that he was an undercover but older reporter who had faked his way onto the team. Pretty sure that mistaken detail was quickly corrected but, to this day, I always think about it.

I was in school when this happened. It was just bizarre. 
I like the fact that all hell didn’t break loose and the righteous hammer of someone’s justice didn’t have to drop on this guy. I feel like if this happened today, they’d be trying to send him to prison and decrying the fact that some other poor bastard didn’t get his chance because boo hoo. 
Wouldn't happen today. Social media and the internet would have called him out in august before he stepped in the field in September.

But got damn...that is a great story. You know that isnt the only time this happened back in the day.

The more I think about it, the more I admire the hell out of this guy.

"You know, I love this game so much.  Plus, I'm bigger, much stronger and considerably faster now.  Also more mature and experienced.  I think I'll have a second college football career, only this time at a major D-1 program with a storied tradition."

Also loved the anecdote about him wearing a robe, sitting cross legged, and reading the newspaper while enjoying his morning coffee.  

Surprised the reading glasses and gray whiskers didn't give him away.  

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 1:11 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

We were all so excited to get into the Sugar Bowl against mighty (at the time) Virginia Tech.  We were back!  Getting ready to show the world our shit and then.... breaking news and a beatdown.

We actually didn’t trail in that game until 2:32 left in the 3rd quarter...