Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

Did my first cook tonight after work.  Went to Hebert’s down the street and got a stuffed pork tenderloin.  It turned out good.  Going to throw a brisket and ribs on this weekend for a real cook.  Nothing like cooking out and swimming after work.  Makes the heat bearable.  

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Well fuck me. My heart shattered when I saw it hit the ground. Guess I didn’t check the bolt enough to make sure it was still tight. :(
80e6f90bcc9eea88b4de282abdc6f504.jpg
e0021bd0d5d4fd25eef79957c09f6bad.jpg

Been meaning to sand and restain/seal my egg table so now I guess I finally have the motivation to do it.

That's tragic.  Condolences on your loss.

I use the same weedburner I use to start my other pits. 2 minutes and close the lid and open the vents and I'm at 500 degrees in < 7 minutes. I don't know why you would want something that needs to be hooked up to a cord. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1536026904&amp;sr=8-3&amp;keywords=benzomatic+torches&amp;dpID=31NggbG%2B33L&amp;preST=_SY300_QL70_&amp;dpSrc=srch

20 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I use the same weedburner I use to start my other pits. 2 minutes and close the lid and open the vents and I'm at 500 degrees in < 7 minutes. I don't know why you would want something that needs to be hooked up to a cord. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1536026904&amp;sr=8-3&amp;keywords=benzomatic+torches&amp;dpID=31NggbG%2B33L&amp;preST=_SY300_QL70_&amp;dpSrc=srch

I used to use a propane torch I had left over from a plumbing job, but it was kind of a PITA to deal with and the tank never seemed to last very long.  If you have electrical near your egg, the Looftlighter pretty convenient.  

Interesting take. Different kind of torch? The torch linked above could not be any easier to use. It's push button. Not that it's difficult to stock up on camping tanks but one lasts me a month easy. I hang it right on my cart that I have the grill on. I could not imagine wanting to mess with a cord, but hey to each their own. 

Interesting take. Different kind of torch? The torch linked above could not be any easier to use. It's push button. Not that it's difficult to stock up on camping tanks but one lasts me a month easy. I hang it right on my cart that I have the grill on. I could not imagine wanting to mess with a cord, but hey to each their own. 

To each his own.

Yeah my torch was just a little soldering torch that attached directly a handheld propane tank. Only lasted a dozen starts or less. Had I gone out and bought an arm’s length torch and used a 5 gallon tank I’m sure it would be easier. But like you said to each his own. Glad the torch works for you and it sounds like a good option if you don’t have electrical near your egg.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Do BGE owners typically also own a gas grill? Or does the BGE handle everything good enough?

Went through two gas grills.  Had one before my first egg.  It was towards the ends of it's tenure, and it didn't get much use anyway once the egg came home.  Purchased a second.  Got so little attention I gave it to my BIL when he bought his first house.

To each their own.  I just never used it.  I still have a smaller Webber kettle grill I use for camping/tailgating.  But that's it.  Building a pool now, and the outdoor kitchen will have as nest for the egg and that's it.  With the mapp/Looft lighters or even a chimney starter, they can get hot fast.  And all my steaks are reverse seared inside on a cast-iron skillet.

Yeah guys, I'm not trying to shit on other ways, and I don't really care if you believe me or not. But I would bet a decent sum of change that if you buy that push button Benzomatic torch I linked above you will find it far more convenient than any of the other alternatives out there. 

21 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Do BGE owners typically also own a gas grill? Or does the BGE handle everything good enough?

I only have the BGE.  Honestly, it takes no time to get fired up.  You have to prep what you're cooking anyway, so just light the lump before you start to prep. When you're done and ready to cook, the BGE is ready.

Now, if you are literally going straight from the fridge to the grill, then yeah, you'll have to wait 15 minutes but for me, that's not often.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has already been covered, but be sure to check the lid ring about every six months. Ask me how I know.

And all I had to do was scroll up to the top of this page to see another shattered dome.

Edited by Sabalo

On 10/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, Sabalo said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but be sure to check the lid ring about every six months. Ask me how I know.

And all I had to do was scroll up to the top of this page to see another shattered dome.

I feel for you brother.  I feel for you.  

• Like 1

Well fuck me. My heart shattered when I saw it hit the ground. Guess I didn’t check the bolt enough to make sure it was still tight. sad.png
80e6f90bcc9eea88b4de282abdc6f504.jpg
e0021bd0d5d4fd25eef79957c09f6bad.jpg

Been meaning to sand and restain/seal my egg table so now I guess I finally have the motivation to do it.

Damn man that sucks. I got lucky when mine did that, only loss was the temp gauge.

35c9fc8f22b38e17c9d0f7ff73d01cd2.jpg

5ab8d21d688a573be0a750dfd24c7d7e.jpg

Man I’ve been away from this thread.

I only have a BGE. Had a gasser but ditched it. I cook during the week all the time. Just light the Egg before you do anything else.

I like the metal coil for lighting better than the Looftilighter because I can plug it in and walk away and do something else, but the Loofti is nice. I used to use a MAPP gas torch and I’ve tried various starter cubes. The metal coil will never be out of gas, is cheap, and works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am pulling the trigger in the next two weeks on a BGE. Can someone convince me I don't need the XL and the L will be fine? I have heard and read it smokes better but how much betteer can it really smoke with basically same build...I know the fire is closer.

I just don't know about folding briskets etc...

Any thoughts from those who have used both would be great. FYI I also like to grill steaks on charcoal, etc...but do love to smoke chicken, ribs and brisket.

Edited by Tailgate

Large is plenty.

Folding brisket is easy. Get an empty beer can (or a brick) and wrap it in foil and put in the center of the grill. Lay the brisket on top of it. It will allow a longer brisket to fit easily. Once it has shrunk down after a few hours you can remove the can/brick if you want.

• Like 1

I have a large one.  I rarely run into an issue smoking on it but I wouldn't mind more space while grilling so I don't have to work in batches. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably opt for an XL. Preferably, I'd have one of each since the main issue I run into is that I need two BGEs doing two different things at the same time. 

20 hours ago, Tailgate said:

OK, I am pulling the trigger in the next two weeks on a BGE. Can someone convince me I don't need the XL and the L will be fine? I have heard and read it smokes better but how much betteer can it really smoke with basically same build...I know the fire is closer.

I just don't know about folding briskets etc...

Any thoughts from those who have used both would be great. FYI I also like to grill steaks on charcoal, etc...but do love to smoke chicken, ribs and brisket.

In 6-ish years of owning the BGE, I’ve wished for my L to be slightly larger exactly once. I do still have a gas grill that adds burner space when grilling for groups, though.

59 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

In 6-ish years of owning the BGE, I’ve wished for my L to be slightly larger exactly once. I do still have a gas grill that adds burner space when grilling for groups, though.

Putting in a pool.  Bar/cook area setting aside a cut-out for the egg.  Close to pulling the trigger on a Primo XL.  Fan of the oval shape and compartmentalized bowl.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Putting in a pool.  Bar/cook area setting aside a cut-out for the egg.  Close to pulling the trigger on a Primo XL.  Fan of the oval shape and compartmentalized bowl.  

I've only cooked on a Primo once...was very similar, build quality very high.  I think the choice is personal preference without a wrong answer.