Relocation Suggestions?

Atxracer

And not the kind that relocates a huge cock into a slaves ass.

Serious question...I think we are getting to the point with Austin to where we may want to consider living somewhere else mainly due to allergies and traffic.  If you could go anywhere in the US, where would you go?

Some relevant factors:

- I can do my job wherever there is internet and would likely work from home.

- I do have to travel from time to time so would like an airport that doesn't have to connect through some place everywhere you go.

- I really, really miss salt water.

- Whatever place we choose will have to have a race track (road course...something, something username) within a couple hours.

- Early 40's, married and have a young kid.

- Having professional sports teams would be a plus.

- Love Chicago but it doesn't fit several of the criteria especially with the kid.  Wife (no pics) loves Nashville and Denver which misses the salt water piece.  I was thinking Ft. Lauderdale-ish. Also, not interested in California or ideally (but not a deal-breaker) any place with a state income tax.

Think we have a pretty diverse group here so would love some thoughts.  What say you?

Tulsa is the next Austin! Seriously though, I could make a good pitch, but it would fail salt water, major league sports, and state income tax, at a minimum, and my guess is $10,000 from the remote worker relocation program isn't all that important to someone of your stature.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tulsa-oklahoma-music-scene-938316/

Edited by 'stache

41 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Charleston, SC?

Unrelated note, can I sell your house?

That's an idea, I will add that to the list and check it out.  And, from a fellow salesperson, no shame in trying.  Unfortunately, I have a "buddy" here that has sold me two houses and sold one so kind of committed. 

41 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Tulsa is the next Austin! Seriously though, I could make a good pitch, but it would fail salt water, major league sports, and state income tax, at a minimum, and my guess is $10,000 from the remote worker relocation program isn't all that important to someone of your stature.

That's crazy you said that.  She went to a race with me there and loves Tulsa..I did too.  No salt water or sports. But, the downtown was really cool and Hastings is fantastic. I'll check out the article.  

I'd be looking at the other side of Florida . . . Tampa, St. Pete Beach, down towards Naples, etc.  Don't know about race tracks, but hell, it's the South (and Florida, which brings a whole 'nother level of problems), but no one place is going to be ideal for every item on your wish list.

• Like 1

Charleston is awesome but I feel like everybody in the world has moved there. It's also a town where it's really, really advantageous to be a native. If you're looking at Florida, I'd consider Tampa. Wife spent 3-4 years there (Clearwater Beach) after graduating from Clemson before moving back to Dallas following breakup with then-boyfriend. We went for a wedding and I really liked it. Beach and water is gorgeous, pro sports teams and I don't think they get as badly hit by hurricanes as the Atlantic side.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd be looking at the other side of Florida . . . Tampa, St. Pete Beach, down towards Naples, etc.  Don't know about race tracks, but hell, it's the South (and Florida, which brings a whole 'nother level of problems), but no one place is going to be ideal for every item on your wish list.

Sharing the same brain apparently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

That's crazy you said that.  She went to a race with me there and loves Tulsa..I did too.  No salt water or sports. But, the downtown was really cool and Hastings is fantastic. I'll check out the article.  

Are you talking about cycling? Tulsa Tough is one of the coolest events, especially if you get wasted on the Sunday crit on Crybaby Hill. It's the Mardi Gras of cycling in Oklahoma, lol. 

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Charleston is awesome but I feel like everybody in the world has moved there. It's also a town where it's really, really advantageous to be a native. If you're looking at Florida, I'd consider Tampa. Wife spent 3-4 years there (Clearwater Beach) after graduating from Clemson before moving back to Dallas following breakup with then-boyfriend. We went for a wedding and I really liked it. Beach and water is gorgeous, pro sports teams and I don't think they get as badly hit by hurricanes as the Atlantic side.

Other side is an idea too.  Ill add that to the vetting list. Certainly not committed to anything at this point. 

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Lets see here.... Salt water... no income tax... near a major airport ... Pro Sports...  near racetrack....Ah, I know.

HOUSTON.

You should move to Houston.

Pretty sure you are kidding but forgot to mention, that's where I grew up.  Not going back there.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Are you talking about cycling? Tulsa Tough is one of the coolest events, especially if you get wasted on the Sunday crit on Crybaby Hill. It's the Mardi Gras of cycling in Oklahoma, lol. 

No, car racing. Hastings is a track about 20 minutes outside of Tulsa.

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Serious question...I think we are getting to the point with Austin to where we may want to consider living somewhere else mainly due to allergies and traffic.  If you could go anywhere in the US, where would you go?

Some relevant factors:

- I do have to travel from time to time so would like an airport that doesn't have to connect through some place everywhere you go.

- Whatever place we choose will have to have a race track (road course...something, something username) within a couple hours.

- Love Chicago but it doesn't fit several of the criteria especially with the kid.  Wife (no pics) loves Nashville and Denver which misses the salt water piece.  I was thinking Ft. Lauderdale-ish. Also, not interested in California or ideally (but not a deal-breaker) any place with a state income tax.

Think we have a pretty diverse group here so would love some thoughts.  What say you?

CHI:

West loop and Lincoln Park are very kid friendly.  

Not salt water but Lake Michigan feels a lot like a damn ocean w size etc.  

Joliet has a great track an hour out in low traffic (weekends). 

Buy a condo in Miami and profit.  

Full disclosure: I did Chicago when I couldn’t leave much in the winter (residency/poor) and it sucked.  Now I go to Miami often and rarely have more than 2 weekends in Chi during the winter - except December...LOVE the holidays in Chicago.   

And then there’s the summer.  No city in America beats Chicago in the summer.  

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I’d move back to Harlingen in a heartbeat if I could find work there. Family, low cost of living, good food, beach an hour away. Those are quite literally the only 4 positives to that place and that’s more than enough for me.

No Yankees games there 

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

CHI:

West loop and Lincoln Park are very kid friendly.  

This was one of my main reasons for not doing Chicago...besides the increase in crime.  From everyone I know that lives/ed there, they move to the burbs when they have kids because, allegedly, the schools suck.  And, inquired about private and still didn't get a good response.  It really is my favorite city from May-ish till October-ish.  Ill research schooling some more as I have no interest living in the burbs of Chicago and dealing with traffic when downtown has so much to offer.  

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’d move back to Harlingen in a heartbeat if I could find work there. Family, low cost of living, good food, beach an hour away. Those are quite literally the only 4 positives to that place and that’s more than enough for me.

Texas?  No offense but hard pass.  

11 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

This was one of my main reasons for not doing Chicago...besides the increase in crime.  From everyone I know that lives/ed there, they move to the burbs when they have kids because, allegedly, the schools suck.  And, inquired about private and still didn't get a good response.  It really is my favorite city from May-ish till October-ish.  Ill research schooling some more as I have no interest living in the burbs of Chicago and dealing with traffic when downtown has so much to offer.  

Yep.  We would never leave the city.  The public schools in Lincoln Park are great because the parents are so involved in em these days.  

Property taxes are a disaster but buy within your means while factoring taxes in and you’re good to go.  Great people here too.  Shoot me a PM if you want more details etc.  

Edit...

Crime: unless you wander off into the bad parts of town - hard to do by accident - there’s no more crime then in any other major city   

Edit 2 (drinking on a plane, Sue me)...

The moving to the burbs when you get kids happens WAY less these days.  Please don’t even consider the opinions of those heathens...

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Well if you'll consider Tulsa then maybe Phoenix, Tucson, or Prescott, AZ?  Salt water is 3.5 hours away in Puerto Penasco, or 5 hours to San Diego.  In summer it's an hour or two drive to much cooler mountains (and Prescott has a bit cooler climate than the other 2.)   Even in winter the traffic in many areas will be better than Austin, DFW, or any Florida metro.

Edited by clapclapclap

Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Raleigh, and Charlotte are in the heart of NASCAR country, 2-3.5 hours from the ocean and with major airports.  W-S/Greensboro would have the least traffic issues.  Greenville, SC/Asheville would be my choice, but I don't know if Greenville-Spartanburg airport is sufficient.  Driving to Atlanta or Charlotte's airport would quickly become a beating.

20 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Well if you'll consider Tulsa then maybe Phoenix, Tucson, or Prescott, AZ?  Salt water is 3.5 hours away in Puerto Penasco, or 5 hours to San Diego.  In summer it's an hour or two drive to much cooler mountains (and Prescott has a bit cooler climate than the other 2.)   Even in winter the traffic in many areas will be better than Austin, DFW, or any Florida metro.

Good idea. I have visited Scottsdale several times and definitely liked it.  I'll add that to the list too.  

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Are we on a Texas board where anything in Texas is a hard pass but Tulsa is being considered?  Sorry, couldn’t let that slide...

Lol, point taken but have you been to Harlingen?  I have...once.  

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Some relevant factors:

I'd think about Ft Myers.   Lauderdale is nice if you have the means to live EAST (Rio Vista, Sunrise Intercoastal, Las Olas, Victoria park, Coral Ridge, Seven Isles, The Landings, Bay Colony)  Otherwise the micro climates out west are rainy & hot and you might as well move to any old suburb in a fly over state.

As for traffic... yup we got some and it gets worse when the snowbirds show up in force.  But I almost never go west of I-95 so it's not so bad. (Heck I almost never go west of US-1 )

I'd look at Jupiter also.  Funky sleepy town.  (Home of bob Craft's hand-job emporium) Great boating, beach, and surfing.  Perhaps a little on the small side.

Bonus pick.. Hillsborough Shores in Pompano or Lauderdale by the Sea (funky throw-back town just north of Lauderdale on the beach)  - You'll be well dead by the time sea level rise gets sporty.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Lets see here.... Salt water... no income tax... near a major airport ... Pro Sports...  near racetrack....Ah, I know.

HOUSTON.

You should move to Houston.

Again you’re probably joking and OP says no quiero but I’ll prob retire to Hitchcock or such. Kids  are in Houston and Austin, miles of nice flats to fish, and just a hop skip and jump to a great city. And, other than the semiannual hurricanes, the weather is in my wheelhouse. 

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Raleigh, and Charlotte are in the heart of NASCAR country, 2-3.5 hours from the ocean and with major airports.  W-S/Greensboro would have the least traffic issues.  Greenville, SC/Asheville would be my choice, but I don't know if Greenville-Spartanburg airport is sufficient.  Driving to Atlanta or Charlotte's airport would quickly become a beating.

SC keeps popping up so will definitely dig into it some more.  Have a buddy the move there from Chicago and then moved back so will check into that.  

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

I'd think about Ft Myers.   Lauderdale is nice if you have the means to live EAST (Rio Vista, Sunrise Intercoastal, Las Olas, Victoria park, Coral Ridge, Seven Isles, The Landings, Bay Colony)  Otherwise the micro climates out west are rainy & hot and you might as well move to any old suburb in a fly over state.

As for traffic... yup we got some and it gets worse when the snowbirds show up in force.  But I almost never go west of I-95 so it's not so bad. (Heck I almost never go west of US-1 )

I'd look at Jupiter also.  Funky sleepy town.  (Home of bob Craft's hand-job emporium) Great boating, beach, and surfing.  Perhaps a little on the small side.

Bonus pick.. Hillsborough Shores in Pompano or Lauderdale by the Sea (funky throw-back town just north of Lauderdale on the beach)  - You'll be well dead by the time sea level rise gets sporty.

Solid advice.  For the Florida folks, when it comes hurricane time, how is the evacuation process?  I still have nightmares from the 24 hour drive from Houston to Dallas back in the day.

17 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Solid advice.  For the Florida folks, when it comes hurricane time, how is the evacuation process?  I still have nightmares from the 24 hour drive from Houston to Dallas back in the day.

PFFFTTT  Evacuate?  I'm in a mandatory evacuation zone and I only left for Irma.  It looked like a direct hit, but jogged west and I actually had to evacuate back to Ft Lauderdale after I bought my buddy in Ft Meyers Pizza, beer, and helped him put his shutters up.

Dorian had me watching waiting and sweating and if that had come in on S. Florida it would have been a catastrophe.  But I didn't even put up a singe shutter.   Any big storm that hits Dade/Broward is going to be a massive problem.   FP&L blows and any storm will take out power here (most lines are above ground and not maintained well) In S. Florida you can go West to Ft Myers/Tampa, North to Orlando if it's going low, or South to the Keys.  Yes I have evacuated to the Keys...  We went fishing and had a great time while Palm Beach was getting pummeled.

Or if you want, just get on a plane and be on the other side of the continent.

Also I'm not advocating FOR S. Florida...  just providing a view from a long time resident.  No one here (S Florida) would be unhappy if you moved somewhere else.

Doesn't need to be said but Florida is full of angry crazy people from other places.

Edited by Loco

Sounds like you need Salt Lake City. 

Denver has an al unser go karting place. 

I can't imagine hanging out regularly at The Great Salt Lake. It smells horrendous. It's a once and done kinda place.

Edit to answer: I lived in North Central Florida for a long time. Never evacuated for a hurricane (but I've never evacuated in Houston when I lived there either). But I did have a tree fall on the house and pool cage while I was home alone during a hurricane. It was not a pleasant experience. I know people who's families in Miami and Tampa that always stay put.

I really like Clearwater. Kinda quiet town near Tampa but there are the Scientologists.