Name drop a former college football player who people may have forgotten about

Goo Punch

22 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

The RB named Walker, John Walker, I think, from Killeen HS?  He was very successful at Texas, late 70s, early 80s.  He flew over the goal line.  He looked like he had jumped on a trampoline in the backfield.  He was almost a guarantee to get that last yard. 

Sports Illustrated had a photo of him in 82 or 83 launching to go over the linemen for a first down or TD. The caption was something to the effect that despite appearances, Johnny Walker did not launch prematurely. 

Robert Strait

My freshman year I walked from Jester down to Memorial Stadium to watch Cuero play two different playoff games. Both games Cuero had a comfortable lead in the second half, they had the ball inside their own 20 on third and short situations. Both games everyone in the stadium knew that Strait was going to run the ball up the middle. Both games Strait ran the ball up the middle, broke a few tackles, and busted 80+ yard TD runs.

I thought I was witnessing the next Earl Campbell.

5 hours ago, pacman said:

I was in Ft Worth during my formative football years and tcu football was cheap.

Kelly Blackwell TE , Fred Washington DE (died NFL rookie year) for TCU,

That Oil Bowl that i saw Tyrone Thurman play in, well, Fred Washington was in it too.  That was a badass little Texas vs OK  high school all-star game.

Robert fucking Johnson.  Recruited as a JUCO QB and then converted to WR.  Even when this play comes up on Tech boards, some folks forget who caught the ball.  It was a glorious way to finish my first game ever at Pyle Field.

Tyrone Thurman from Tech...dude was like 5'6" or something and I want to say was an All-American KR/PR in the mid-80s. He was awesome. 
Dvy7KcnUwAAJyR6.jpg

Sat next to him at the bar in my local Pub in Frisco a few months ago. He had some Tech gear on so I started talking football. Said he played for them and his name sounded familiar but he was so small I figured it was probably BS.

Googled him when he went to pee and remembered him playing after seeing his Wiki page. He was listed as 5’4” 130.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll go less obscure since he had a decent pro career: Lavar Arrington. Dude was a beast in college.

Went to the googles for that link and it made me remember he's the one who knocked Aikman into retirement.  Fuck him. I'll still post this.

• Like 1

Hell, Let's just have Texas Tech Football as an entry, unto itself.

and @Lavar Arrington, he and Courtney Brown kicked ass on that Penn State defense, but  professional Arrington took out Troy, so that ain't so cool, in my book.

Edited by Iceman

I'll go less obscure since he had a decent pro career: Lavar Arrington. Dude was a beast in college.
[/url]  
Went to the googles for that link and it made me remember he's the one who knocked Aikman into retirement.  Fuck him. I'll still post this.
He hit Aikman so hard it bent Troys face mask didn’t it?

Quentin Coryatt
the most vicious hit i ever saw on tv.

Are you Carlos Francis?
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That picture is from the 1983 game when that fuck stick GodPa went for the tie at the end of the game, rather than the win. Game finished 24-24.

Joepuh couldn't help it. His gonads were the size of English peas.

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

You're confusing Mike Davis, Skyline HS Dallas, #1 with Mike Adams Dalworth Grand Prairie #83. 

Adams played for the Steelers and was productive but not special.

Pinkey not Pinckney "Played" for the Rams for a season, but old hood habits die hard. He was the prototype NFL WR before that prototype existed. It was sad to watch him just fade away.

I partied with a bit Mike and Lovell in my college days. Stayed in contact with Mike for the better part of 2 decades as a distance "friend". Me, Ricky, Chad Patmon (RIP) who I knew fairly well, may or may not have spent some time together on 6th back in the day.

I should reach out to Mike. Been way too long.

Yeah, I mixed up the names.  A sign I am getting old.  Adams was supposed to be a Heisman candidate and fell way short of that.

Pat Fitzgerald is probably a forgotten name from that era too.  That guy was a really solid TE.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Kordell Stewart

067cb7cdf7224890bc765a35a94c095b.jpg

Slash was on my list too.  That 94 CU v. UM game was one of the games that hooked me on college football as a sport in general.  I have always thought the CU uniforms were one of the best in the country, especially the all black.

Makes me think the Longhorns should consider an all black alternate uniform.  (I'm kidding)

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

God, those A&M-Tech games from the mid-90s until 2011 were so much fun. You couldn't lose no matter who won, but Tech won most of the time so it was an added bonus.

Those games were a blast to watch.

I always loved the way Zach Thomas played the game: with bad intentions.

spacer.png

He was cemented as a favorite when he shoved it up aggy's ass in 1995 (IIRC).

spacer.png

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

God, those A&M-Tech games from the mid-90s until 2011 were so much fun. You couldn't lose no matter who won, but Tech won most of the time so it was an added bonus.

2001 and the goal post game was fantastic theater.  I use that as an example when people around here in SEC country try to tell me that the Big 12 doesn't care as much about football.  And also as a good example of how crazy Tech fans are.  The game against Texas where they were throwing the bleachers out of the stadium was another good example.

6 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Robert Strait

My freshman year I walked from Jester down to Memorial Stadium to watch Cuero play two different playoff games. Both games Cuero had a comfortable lead in the second half, they had the ball inside their own 20 on third and short situations. Both games everyone in the stadium knew that Strait was going to run the ball up the middle. Both games Strait ran the ball up the middle, broke a few tackles, and busted 80+ yard TD runs.

I thought I was witnessing the next Earl Campbell.

I walked down to one of those Cuero games from Moore-hill specifically to see him.  The buzz about that guy was huge for pre-internet days. 

29 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Got another. George Teague.  Don't know why I've always remembered this play.

I loved that play because it happened against Miami, who I hated at the time for obvious reasons.

Teague was also the guy who lit up TO for celebrating on the star at Texas stadium.  Dude loved knocking showboats down a notch, apparently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

You're confusing Mike Davis, Skyline HS Dallas, #1 with Mike Adams Dalworth Grand Prairie #83. 

Adams played for the Steelers and was productive but not special.

Pinkey not Pinckney "Played" for the Rams for a season, but old hood habits die hard. He was the prototype NFL WR before that prototype existed. It was sad to watch him just fade away.

I partied with a bit Mike and Lovell in my college days. Stayed in contact with Mike for the better part of 2 decades as a distance "friend". Me, Ricky, Chad Patmon (RIP) who I knew fairly well, may or may not have spent some time together on 6th back in the day.

I should reach out to Mike. Been way too long.

*Pinkney

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pat White for WV. Loved watching this team from 2007. Slaton was the RB and they had Derius Reynaud. All they had to do was beat Pitt on the last game of the season to get to the BCS title game but Pat White got hurt and Pitt pulled the huge upset. @PittsburghTiger probably remembers that game. I think WV demolished OU that year in the Fiesta Bowl.

Patwhite2007.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pat White for WV. Loved watching this team from 2007. Slaton was the RB and they had Derius Reynaud. All they had to do was beat Pitt on the last game of the season to get to the BCS title game but Pat White got hurt and Pitt pulled the huge upset. @PittsburghTiger probably remembers that game. I think WV demolished OU that year in the Fiesta Bowl.

Patwhite2007.png

I remember it quite well. I do think people overestimate the injury to White. Pitt's defense that day, and I could be off by a couple, missed just two or three tackles. They were fantastic. People slammed Wanny the year before when he was asked at halftime what the defense needed to do to stop WVU and he answered, "run faster".

The defense that night did indeed. Also, Shady McCoy, a freshman, ran for almost 150 yards. Slaton ran for 11 yards on nine or 10 rushes and Noel Devine had about 10 yards on seven or eight runs. They ran for about 2.5 ypc that night. They were not running all over Pitt, THAT NIGHT.  West Virginia finished with well under 200 yards of offense. 

The Hoopies, specifically Pat McAfee, missed two very short field goals. Also, don't turnover the ball. Pitt had 2, Hoopies had (I think) 5.

We scored one TD, as did WVU. Don't miss field goals is one takeaway. Pitt made 2/3 that night.

99 times out of a 100 that WVU team beats that Pitt team. That night was the one night it wasn't happening. I also agree that WVU had a terrific chance to win the championship.

It was a seismic event in a nutty season which saw #2 teams lose a ton.

I told my friends that week that if we somehow won that I would wear a State Penn Nambly Lions shirt and take a picture of myself. I did. So I take a small slice of credit for the victory and keeping the Hoopies as the program with the most victories never to win a national title. I told that to Wanny, he smiled, and we toasted a drink in NYC while at the Big East Tournament.

• Like 1