atomheartbevo

AISD's Plans for Schools Starting August 18

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Some of these parents need to remember...you think your kids chances of catching Covid-19 is low?  Wait until I show you the odds of them getting to play college sports.  It makes Coronavirus look like a lock.  The disruption of sports is being so fucking overblown at the high school level (and even lower).  Unless your child is female and really good at soccer, it's not fucking happening for your kid.  Get the fuck over it.  

You know how kids do get scholarships to college?  By being smart.  Let's focus on that as a country for awhile.  As well states all over this thread, a lot of the shortcomings of our education system have been wildly exposed.  Let's fix those as communities and give our kids an intellectual leg up in the meantime.  

Seriously though, look at the maths.  Your 10-18 YO child is more likely to get Covid-19 than they are an NCAA athletic scholarship.

My son got a partial one for baseball. Got hurt during fall practice. Adios scholarship. Daughter went full, free ride to a good East Coast private school. All academics. Could not agree with you more. And while on the subject. Do we need to give everyone 2-3 practice jerseys? Special crap just cuz we have the money in the athletic budget? 

Alright, you have good genes....you don't have to rub it in!   Sorry to hear about your son, is he still enrolled in that college I Hope?  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Alright, you have good genes....you don't have to rub it in!   Sorry to hear about your son, is he still enrolled in that college I Hope?  

Yep, working and 5th semester on Deans list. He finally realized there was life after baseball. So many coaches filled his brain full of crap. 

Well, to be fair to your son and his coaches.  There is life after baseball, and it can be filled with wonderful things but it can feel a bit empty.  There is always that moment as a young man when he's told he can no longer play organized ball.  Comes much earlier for most than it did for your son.  I got it after one Fall Ball semester at a D-I program (academic scholarship, nowhere near good enough for an athletic one, just a walk-on opportunity).  It's the end of the world at the time, then you almost forget about it within a year.  Next thing you know...you're 20 years older.  And then, for some reason as you look back at middle age...you feel the pain all over again and wonder what coulda been.  But you carry it with you to remind you that life went on, it didn't matter in the end, and you draw the lessons from the game as God intended for you to pass along to your children/grandchildren.  It's a cruel game, but it also loves us and calls us back to a time we long forgot.  

Anywhoodles, have him watch 'Brockmire' and share a whiskey with him.  Sounds like he's on a better track anyway.  The game was never supposed to sustain us for life, it wasn't the fish we ate that day.  It was supposed to teach us to fish for ourselves for life.  Or something, I dunno...damn Koufax with his confounded Judaic tales.  

Fucking-A Cheers on the Dean's List shit though! 

Edited by Lobo

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, to be fair to your son and his coaches.  There is life after baseball, and it can be filled with wonderful things but it can feel a bit empty.  There is always that moment as a young man when he's told he can no longer play organized ball.  Comes much earlier for most than it did for your son.  I got it after one Fall Ball semester at a D-I program (academic scholarship, nowhere near good enough for an athletic one, just a walk-on opportunity).  It's the end of the world at the time, then you almost forget about it within a year.  Next thing you know...you're 20 years older.  And then, for some reason as you look back at middle age...you feel the pain all over again and wonder what coulda been.  But you carry it with you to remind you that life went on, it didn't matter in the end, and you draw the lessons from the game as God intended for you to pass along to your children/grandchildren.  It's a cruel game, but it also loves us and calls us back to a time we long forgot.  

Anywhoodles, have him watch 'Brockmire' and share a whiskey with him.  Sounds like he's on a better track anyway.  The game was never supposed to sustain us for life, it wasn't the fish we ate that day.  It was supposed to teach us to fish for ourselves for life.  Or something, I dunno...damn Koufax with his confounded Judaic tales.  

Fucking-A Cheers on the Dean's List shit though! 

Thanks man, and I know. I played a few sports, but was overseas so no where like it is in the US. And we have done just that. Did Cooperstown last summer and was a great moment. Got him to see there can be life within baseball even if you are not a player and he was going to intern with a AA team this summer. Oh well that shit did not happen. 

Back to openings though. Yes, sports are important, but they should not be the driving force especially when you look at the overall performance of so many schools. Know a Karen who is screaming about school needs to be reopened. She is severely immune compromised. But her daughter misses dance team. Um....... 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Some of these parents need to remember...you think your kids chances of catching Covid-19 is low?  Wait until I show you the odds of them getting to play college sports.  It makes Coronavirus look like a lock.  The disruption of sports is being so fucking overblown at the high school level (and even lower).  Unless your child is female and really good at soccer, it's not fucking happening for your kid.  Get the fuck over it.  

You know how kids do get scholarships to college?  By being smart.  Let's focus on that as a country for awhile.  As well states all over this thread, a lot of the shortcomings of our education system have been wildly exposed.  Let's fix those as communities and give our kids an intellectual leg up in the meantime.  

Seriously though, look at the maths.  Your 10-18 YO child is more likely to get Covid-19 than they are an NCAA athletic scholarship.

You don’t know my kids. Been playing in tournaments in multiple sports since beginning of June. 

Oh, and never tell me the odds. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Know a Karen who is screaming about school needs to be reopened. She is severely immune compromised. But her daughter misses dance team. Um....... 

Karen misses being a dance team mom.

My son got a partial one for baseball. Got hurt during fall practice. Adios scholarship. Daughter went full, free ride to a good East Coast private school. All academics. Could not agree with you more. And while on the subject. Do we need to give everyone 2-3 practice jerseys? Special crap just cuz we have the money in the athletic budget? 

That last part, similar to govt budgeting in other sectors if you don’t use it all the budget will get cut the next yr.

19 minutes ago, bluto said:

That last part, similar to govt budgeting in other sectors if you don’t use it all the budget will get cut the next yr.

I understand this principle. My first job out of UT was teaching history and coaching girls soccer (JV). Had all the gear I needed for one, barely enough for the other. 

27 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I understand this principle. My first job out of UT was teaching history and coaching girls soccer (JV). Had all the gear I needed for one, barely enough for the other. 

has anyone else heard about the increasing textbook shortage in schools?  i just heard about it maybe 4 years ago.  more and more schools are teaching without textbooks because they don't have the funding for it.  

Just now, gsoda3 said:

has anyone else heard about the increasing textbook shortage in schools?  i just heard about it maybe 4 years ago.  more and more schools are teaching without textbooks because they don't have the funding for it.  

This was a long time ago. I had 37 total history textbooks and one class alone was 45 students. 

Daughter did not get her AP Chem textbook until December last year. 

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Now that you mention it, I don't think my oldest has ever had a textbook..she's in all Pre-AP/honors in 8th grade. 

EDIT: Just asked her and she said all textbooks are classroom only due to the lack of funding.  She's never been given her own textbook for any class to date.

Edited by CooterBrown

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

This was a long time ago. I had 37 total history textbooks and one class alone was 45 students. 

45 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Now that you mention it, I don't think my oldest has ever had a textbook..she's in all Pre-AP/honors in 8th grade. 

EDIT: Just asked her and she said all textbooks are classroom only due to the lack of funding.  She's never been given her own textbook for any class to date.

that's wild.  when did this start happening?  i graduated high school in 2000 and we never had problems, though we were plano ISD and i suspect we'd be the last ones hit.  

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

image.jpeg.58d2b2f7be2cf4f2a7af6e1a3bfedb7a.jpeg

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

that's wild.  when did this start happening?  i graduated high school in 2000 and we never had problems, though we were plano ISD and i suspect we'd be the last ones hit.  

well there was the Heroin fad. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

image.jpeg.58d2b2f7be2cf4f2a7af6e1a3bfedb7a.jpeg

Mine would shoot yours in the ass with a modified calvary bow laced with some toxic shit she discovered and make your kid glow. Which might be cool for some nights on 6th.