Vic Mackey

What Did You Think Was Indicators of Wealth When Growing Up?

We wore Lee jeans, and once in awhile got a pair of Levi's as a back-to-school shopping treat.  Maybe one pair every other year.  You'd see the kids in the Gap Jeans or Eddie Bauer or CK Jeans and think, "Wow, maybe someday..."  

They called them Toughskins because Sears decided Toughshitkids was just too cruel at their marketing meetings.  

In my 20's, I kinda felt like brand name clothing wasn't really important anymore.  Just have a couple of decent suits for work and that was that.  Then I got into my 30's, and now 40's...and I realized. "Oh shit, it's still important for these douchebags to have cool logos on their clothes.  Does this bullshit ever end?"  It seems to once you get to your 60's but I don't have that kinda patience.  When I'm 60, I'm giving up again on clothing and buying a G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier and I don't care about the price.  

5 hours ago, Okie State said:

Lee jeans for me. Not sure if they still exist.

Wore a lot of them as a kid. Always ripped the leather tag off.

57 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I was ok with Lee til I noticed my sister wore them too

Loved the ass on Lee jeans for females. 

42 minutes ago, After irth said:

Loved the ass on Lee jeans for females. 

Yeah, good point.  Something about the cut of them made me first realize what a camel toe on a girl was Sophomore year of high school.  Thank you Jenn M.  You were a Penn State'r for sure...great uniform...bad helmet.  I hope you're doing well in life nowadays...

Missy M wore jeans so tight she couldn’t wear anything else.  We called her No-drawers.  She liked it.  Sportin the toe. 

Growing up in the 90s, it was definitely cable tv. If you had cable, like me and only one other kid in the neighborhood did, then you were considered an "it" kid. All the kids would wanna come over to watch Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, MTV, etc. since they couldn't watch those channels at home. 

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Growing up in the 90s, it was definitely cable tv. If you had cable, like me and only one other kid in the neighborhood did, then you were considered an "it" kid. All the kids would wanna come over to watch Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, MTV, etc. since they couldn't watch those channels at home. 

There was a kid in my neighborhood who had the Sega system that you could play a number of games on, somehow. Almost like it was hooked to the internet, but I'm not sure how that was possible in 1993. That as our version of what you just said; a guy like yourself who was probably an okay kid but otherwise you wouldn't want to really hang out with that much if it wasn't for the cool tech because you were poorer.

There was a kid in my neighborhood who had the Sega system that you could play a number of games on, somehow. Almost like it was hooked to the internet, but I'm not sure how that was possible in 1993. That as our version of what you just said; a guy like yourself who was probably an okay kid but otherwise you wouldn't want to really hang out with that much if it wasn't for the cool tech because you were poorer.
Sega Channel. It was awesome. I did not have it, but my friend up the street did.

Laserdisc player.

Eating at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Macaroni Grill, or Joe’s  Crab Shack. 

My best friend had cable but no ac. We had ac but no cable. Tough hot summers

In elementary school/junior high, if you got a lunch at school, it meant you were on government-assisted meal programs.  Our school was quite large but didn't sell food (except the once a month deal with Pizza Hut or something).  In elementary school, the sign of wealth was a current pop culture lunchbox like Dukes of Hazaard or Star Wars.  In junior high, it was a simple brown bag that meant you didn't go in for the trends, you were a rebel.  Then in high school, it was a bad sign if you brought your own lunch, you were to pay for your meal like all the other cool kids.  

One of my mom's brothers has done very well for himself.  Another thing I think back about in childhood is what/how he smoked.  My mom was a pack a day smoker of mid-brand cigarettes in a faux leather case with a disposable bic lighter.  But my uncle would smoke expensive Benson & Hedges 100's and they came in these glossy, "Luxurious" packs in colors like shiny silver and rose gold.  And he always had some $500 lighter with him to light them.  I thought, "Oh, smoking can be a status symbol."  Years later I realized, "Oh, this is why everybody in her family gets cancer."  

Kids who got breakfast were seen as poor, new kaepas with neon shoe laces and always in the lunch line = rich.