Jump to content
Ghost of LL

Time to Peace Out (Relocate Overseas)?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

image.png.cd4b879cc1670bdd01a1be7d4f77cdf3.png

The Yukon is opening up farmland. The breadbaskets by 2099 will be in Western Canada and Siberia. Getting expensive in the Yukon already.

 

Really? Canada is limited by logistics and climate. You can only have two crops at most before winter and what is grown is limited by expensive and bottle-necked transport out of the country. It is beautiful country, but absent succession to the US, I would hesitate to think it is another bread basket. In addition the federal government will have to heavily tax the western provinces to pay for the growing social spending of the urban centers. Peter Zeihan has some interesting thoughts on Canada's vulnerability if it interests you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’m planning on buying half the properties in Memphis and getting my pilots licenses. Slumlord and pilot just sounded like a lot of fun before I retire at 40 in Spain.

Sounds like Avron Fogelman: He owns half of Memphis. His kids went to UT. He wasn't a pilot but he used charters. From what I understand, it is the only way to fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Sounds like Avron Fogelman: He owns half of Memphis. His kids went to UT. He wasn't a pilot but he used charters. From what I understand, it is the only way to fly.

Av Fogelman, the sausage king of Memphis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Av Fogelman, the sausage king of Memphis?

He might be well be the sausage king but if you're not hitting up Gus for his fried chicken you're fucking doing it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You talking about Gus’ Fried Chicken like the one in Austin or Gus Fring’s Pollos Hermanos?   
 

we went to that one in Memphis the night before the Ole Miss game and holy shit, rarely does a place like that live up to the hype but it was insanely good.  Anybody know if the downtown Austin one is doing takeout right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You talking about Gus’ Fried Chicken like the one in Austin or Gus Fring’s Pollos Hermanos?   
 

we went to that one in Memphis the night before the Ole Miss game and holy shit, rarely does a place like that live up to the hype but it was insanely good.  Anybody know if the downtown Austin one is doing takeout right now?

Memphis, and yeah it is a rare exception.

Having eaten Roscoe's I'd eat Gus' chicken every day instead. 

However, do NOT sleep on Brick and Bones in Deep Ellum next time you go to Texas Vs Ousux. It's fucking amazing.

Gotta go to Southside in Chitown for some decent chicken. Wside ain't holdin'.

Edit - might wanna wait a few days before heading south though, ya know, cause um, traffic will be a bitch.

Edited by BurntEyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t go wrong with any Harold’s in Chicago. But I’m partial to Big Jones.  If you ever get a chance though, drive out to Romeoville and eat at White Fence Farm.  They still make the best fried chicken after almost a century. 
 

back to relocation talk.  Costa Rica is really putting up a lot of barriers for U.S. citizens to temporarily relocate there.  We have an address to use there and blood relatives with citizenship there but by the time we are done with the process, it’ll be holiday break.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

 

Really? Canada is limited by logistics and climate. You can only have two crops at most before winter and what is grown is limited by expensive and bottle-necked transport out of the country. It is beautiful country, but absent succession to the US, I would hesitate to think it is another bread basket. In addition the federal government will have to heavily tax the western provinces to pay for the growing social spending of the urban centers. Peter Zeihan has some interesting thoughts on Canada's vulnerability if it interests you.

I think you missed the part where he's talking about 80 years from now. You know, once Florida's melted into the ocean.

27 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

However, do NOT sleep on Brick and Bones in Deep Ellum next time you go to Texas Vs Ousux. It's fucking amazing.

Dallas is a slept-on fried chicken mecca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think you missed the part where he's talking about 80 years from now. You know, once Florida's melted into the ocean.

 

Climate change wouldn't affect the climate enough to change the point I was making and wouldn't change the logistic and political situation at all. Only the ability to sell products in the dollar (succession) would change much. I'm not an expert of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Climate change wouldn't affect the climate enough to change the point I was making and wouldn't change the logistic and political situation at all.

It absolutely would. Here's what some of this could look like by 2050:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/climate-change/how-to-live-with-it/crops.html

The geography is already changing. Crops that used to do well in certain areas are seeing lower yields. Crops that used to not grow well or even be tenable in certain areas are now being seen as decent alternatives. (Quick example here https://www.wri.org/blog/2018/08/thanks-climate-change-oranges-are-becoming-new-coffee-some-parts-costa-rica)

Even with moderate predictions, by 2100 the agricultural geogrpahy of the world as we know it will be very different - not accounting for changes in how crops are grown (but even when accounting for some of those changes). I.e. if you are looking at the status quo in 2020 of how agriculture is practiced around the world, the same methods will be achieving wildly different results 80 years from now.

Obviously a lot of this - including the climate science itself - is unpredictable - but making the claim that regions that were once too cold or arid to grow certain crops could in the future become "breadbaskets" (to use the term that was presented) is supported pretty well as far as what we are already seeing and what climatologists are predicting for the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what they anticipate Tennessee will become even better at growing...

Coffee and Weed.

At least that's what I've heard.

Maybe it's just my hopeful thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really contemplating the idea of moving back to Brazil the other day.  Even to the point of feeling my wife out about the idea.  She mostly shot it down because of job situation there.  I am still furloughed but her career is going strong and she likes where she works.  I always considered this an option for retirement, but there are a few reasons why I would want to do it now.

I want my girls to speak Portuguese and learn their culture(s).  My wife and I are not doing the best job of this here in Texas.

The dollar goes a lot further there, so would be pretty easy to get set up in a nice place there.  We own some real estate there but I would prefer to move to the south of Brazil...like Santa Maria, Gramado or Novo Hamburgo - RS or maybe Joinville - SC.

But it would be a really hard decision because of family here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was really contemplating the idea of moving back to Brazil the other day.  Even to the point of feeling my wife out about the idea.  She mostly shot it down because of job situation there.  I am still furloughed but her career is going strong and she likes where she works.  I always considered this an option for retirement, but there are a few reasons why I would want to do it now.
I want my girls to speak Portuguese and learn their culture(s).  My wife and I are not doing the best job of this here in Texas.
The dollar goes a lot further there, so would be pretty easy to get set up in a nice place there.  We own some real estate there but I would prefer to move to the south of Brazil...like Santa Maria, Gramado or Novo Hamburgo - RS or maybe Joinville - SC.
But it would be a really hard decision because of family here.

Why would you want to go someplace that is almost as fucked up as here with their COVId handling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you want to go someplace that is almost as fucked up as here with their COVId handling?

I should have qualified that a move there isn’t about covid or politics. I chimed because the thread seemed to get wider in focus. But yeah, moving to Brazil because of covid (or politics for that matter) makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was really contemplating the idea of moving back to Brazil the other day.  Even to the point of feeling my wife out about the idea.  She mostly shot it down because of job situation there.  I am still furloughed but her career is going strong and she likes where she works.  I always considered this an option for retirement, but there are a few reasons why I would want to do it now.

I want my girls to speak Portuguese and learn their culture(s).  My wife and I are not doing the best job of this here in Texas.

The dollar goes a lot further there, so would be pretty easy to get set up in a nice place there.  We own some real estate there but I would prefer to move to the south of Brazil...like Santa Maria, Gramado or Novo Hamburgo - RS or maybe Joinville - SC.

But it would be a really hard decision because of family here.

Small world. I’ve been to Gramado. There was another town nearby named Canela. Both towns were cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lobo said:

back to relocation talk.  Costa Rica is really putting up a lot of barriers for U.S. citizens to temporarily relocate there.  We have an address to use there and blood relatives with citizenship there but by the time we are done with the process, it’ll be holiday break.  

What? If you mean they aren’t letting in U.S. citizens right now then yes. But it’s a barrier for any tourist from here, not just someone looking to relocate for the 90 days allowed. Also, for awhile now you can pay a “fine” and stay longer than the 90 days assuming they ever let us back in the country. I have no clue what you mean by an address to use or a blood relative (unless you are a father/son/brother/spouse of a CR citizen) as that’s never been an issue to gaining residency or citizenship. You just need money.

Edited by justhookit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

 

I want my girls to speak Portuguese and learn their culture(s).  My wife and I are not doing the best job of this here in Texas.

 

have you considered Angola?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Portuguese?  Hmm...but why?

This is what the Spanish world thinks of Portuguese.

Begin speaking Spanish.

Now take a few shots and allow your S's to start to slur your speech.

Now close your eyes. 

Now imagine you have down syndrome and pronounce your Spanish words as a drunk person with down syndrome. "AU"

That is what Portuguese sounds like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ztejas said:

It absolutely would. Here's what some of this could look like by 2050:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/climate-change/how-to-live-with-it/crops.html

The geography is already changing. Crops that used to do well in certain areas are seeing lower yields. Crops that used to not grow well or even be tenable in certain areas are now being seen as decent alternatives. (Quick example here https://www.wri.org/blog/2018/08/thanks-climate-change-oranges-are-becoming-new-coffee-some-parts-costa-rica)

Even with moderate predictions, by 2100 the agricultural geogrpahy of the world as we know it will be very different - not accounting for changes in how crops are grown (but even when accounting for some of those changes). I.e. if you are looking at the status quo in 2020 of how agriculture is practiced around the world, the same methods will be achieving wildly different results 80 years from now.

Obviously a lot of this - including the climate science itself - is unpredictable - but making the claim that regions that were once too cold or arid to grow certain crops could in the future become "breadbaskets" (to use the term that was presented) is supported pretty well as far as what we are already seeing and what climatologists are predicting for the future. 

 

Even if climate change is that big of a weather change, does it affect logistics or politics enough in that area? Will rivers appear or trains reach close enough? The Smithsonian map you linked doesn't show any effect in the Yukon regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
have you considered Angola?


They speak all fucked up.

Portuguese?  Hmm...but why?
This is what the Spanish world thinks of Portuguese.
Begin speaking Spanish.
Now take a few shots and allow your S's to start to slur your speech.
Now close your eyes. 
Now imagine you have down syndrome and pronounce your Spanish words as a drunk person with down syndrome. "AU"
That is what Portuguese sounds like.


Vai tomar no cu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

 

Even if climate change is that big of a weather change, does it affect logistics or politics enough in that area? Will rivers appear or trains reach close enough? The Smithsonian map you linked doesn't show any effect in the Yukon regardless.

Canada is studying their role as a home for climate refugees. I don't want to derail the thread anymore, but this Canadian Parliament publication might be a good place for you to start if interested in the subject. https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebsite/default/en_CA/ResearchPublications/201004E

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

climate refugees

LOL

They're a large part of the growth of FL, TX, AZ, and CA

Edited by clapclapclap
And TX to CO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...