Gil Bang

New Go-Go's documentary

I'm a fan. Unfortunately I don't have showtime.
I recently read Kathy Valentine's book and found it pretty interesting. 

I liked them okay growing up, but never really looked at them as band with a worthy story for a documentary.  Maybe it's more Fleetwood Mac or Guns and Roses than I assumed. 

I had quite the thing for Jane Weidlin, it only got worse when The Surreal Life exposed her thing for S&M. 

13 hours ago, South Austin said:

...but never really looked at them as band with a worthy story for a documentary.

It turns out there's very much a reason and why its a worthy story. I had no idea- very worth watching. 

as a young lad, I had a buddy and his older, middle school aged blonde sister would do stuff like walk around in panties and a tank top. left a huge impression on this school aged boy. i first listened to the go-go's at their house, she was a huge fan. Beauty and Beat was a great album and I was a fan ever since 

Edited by tx 3 putt

I caught roughly the 2nd half of the documentary.  I agree, it was a whole lot more compelling than I would have guessed.  I never really liked the band all that much, but I'm going to go back and watch the first half.  One of the better music docs I've seen.

Watching it now. Their early formation as a punk band & how they grew & evolved is quite enthralling. I'm at the point where they're just about to break big. I'm curious to see how they tell the story of their breakup & life after the big time. They've been remarkably candid so far.

Something I've picked up on is how the director seems to have purposely left out referencing dates/years. You don't really know when they came together unless you knew that The Sex Pistols had their infamous "ever get the feeling you've been cheated" Winterland show in January of '78. Maybe they'll start referencing dates when they become pop stars, but so far it's been kind of nebulous. 

I enjoy their music, Head Over Heels being my favorite, could probably be posted in Keyboard thread. 

I assume it goes into Austin's own Carla Olson and the Textones?

A tad before my time, brought to my attention by Hightown on Starz.

Jane Wiedlin mentions that the 2nd bassist (Kathy Valentine) wrote Vacation while in her previous band (the Textones) and brought it over for for Go-Go's album. The original version is playing in the background during that segment. They don't mention Carla Olson, although her name shows up as credited to the B-side song of the Vacation single when the segment opens.

They also mention that without that song on the album the outcome would've likely been very different for them. 

So the end of the doc is an "in your face, Jann Wenner" call to be in the RnR HOF. Not that it has much legitimacy these days, but I just don't see how they moved the needle enough to warrant admission.

Obviously, being the 1st all female group to write & play on a debut album that hit #1 is significant, but what impact did they really have on music? They went from punk to bubble gum, were more than a one hit wonder, but what else? The concert footage in the doc was very meh. Have other musicians cited them as a huge influence or inspiration?

Don't get me wrong. They've made a nice career out of 4 or 5 songs & really seemed to have worked their asses off in their early days. Unless I'm missing something else I just don't see them getting in.

A couple fun pop songs you could dance to with the lay-dees, but beyond that.. mehh, couldn't take them very seriously.  

Just watched it. I was big into punk rock back then and enjoyed their pop sound. They really haven’t done enough to get into the HOF though.

Seems like there's little controversy over The Ramones' inclusion in the R&R HOF.  How are The Go Go's all that different?  Neither played very well, although I guess The Ramones might have been slightly better, if I squint.  The girls had the hits, the boys were more influential.  Feels like a tossup to me.