New Go-Go's documentary

Gil Bang

as a young lad, I had a buddy and his older, middle school aged blonde sister would do stuff like walk around in panties and a tank top. left a huge impression on this school aged boy. i first listened to the go-go's at their house, she was a huge fan. Beauty and Beat was a great album and I was a fan ever since 

Edited by tx 3 putt

I caught roughly the 2nd half of the documentary.  I agree, it was a whole lot more compelling than I would have guessed.  I never really liked the band all that much, but I'm going to go back and watch the first half.  One of the better music docs I've seen.

Watching it now. Their early formation as a punk band & how they grew & evolved is quite enthralling. I'm at the point where they're just about to break big. I'm curious to see how they tell the story of their breakup & life after the big time. They've been remarkably candid so far.

Something I've picked up on is how the director seems to have purposely left out referencing dates/years. You don't really know when they came together unless you knew that The Sex Pistols had their infamous "ever get the feeling you've been cheated" Winterland show in January of '78. Maybe they'll start referencing dates when they become pop stars, but so far it's been kind of nebulous. 

Jane Wiedlin mentions that the 2nd bassist (Kathy Valentine) wrote Vacation while in her previous band (the Textones) and brought it over for for Go-Go's album. The original version is playing in the background during that segment. They don't mention Carla Olson, although her name shows up as credited to the B-side song of the Vacation single when the segment opens.

They also mention that without that song on the album the outcome would've likely been very different for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So the end of the doc is an "in your face, Jann Wenner" call to be in the RnR HOF. Not that it has much legitimacy these days, but I just don't see how they moved the needle enough to warrant admission.

Obviously, being the 1st all female group to write & play on a debut album that hit #1 is significant, but what impact did they really have on music? They went from punk to bubble gum, were more than a one hit wonder, but what else? The concert footage in the doc was very meh. Have other musicians cited them as a huge influence or inspiration?

Don't get me wrong. They've made a nice career out of 4 or 5 songs & really seemed to have worked their asses off in their early days. Unless I'm missing something else I just don't see them getting in.

Seems like there's little controversy over The Ramones' inclusion in the R&R HOF.  How are The Go Go's all that different?  Neither played very well, although I guess The Ramones might have been slightly better, if I squint.  The girls had the hits, the boys were more influential.  Feels like a tossup to me.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seems like there's little controversy over The Ramones' inclusion in the R&R HOF.  How are The Go Go's all that different?  Neither played very well, although I guess The Ramones might have been slightly better, if I squint.  The girls had the hits, the boys were more influential.  Feels like a tossup to me.

Understatement of the Century. If the Ramones don't go to London in '76, there is no Sex Pistols Winterland show in '78. That's just one thread the Queens quartet began. There is no punk genre without the Ramones. There is still bubblegum pop without the Go-Go's. As far as all-female first generation punk bands, it's the Slits and then everyone else.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Key word is influential.  The Ramones were, the GO GO's were a bubble gum, pop band. If they go in the Archies should as well.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Key word is influential.  The Ramones were, the GO GO's were a bubble gum, pop band. If they go in the Archies should as well.

Ignoring the sarcasm about a fictional band with one hit, getting into the R&R HOF seems to only demand conformance to one of their criteria:  25 years since first record release.  "Influence" seems to take a back seat to chart success.  (Everything takes a back seat to Jann Wenner's opinion.)  The Ramones had no chart success, though, so it's all influence for them.   Dusty Springfield had no influence and very minor chart success.  We could go on.   I'd say the Go Go's are closer to Bon Jovi than they are The Ramones.  

Ultimately, if "influence" actually matters, then induct The Replacements, years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

i will cut you darren criss GIF

Did you really just equate a band who is considered by many to be the first true punk rock band that created an entire music genre and sits on the Rolling Stone top 100 greatest artists of all time with a band that had a few catchy pop hits?

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Did you really just equate a band who is considered by many to be the first true punk rock band that created an entire music genre and sits on the Rolling Stone top 100 greatest artists of all time with a band that had a few catchy pop hits?

"Equate"?  No.  I think I outlined the differences that seem germane to the R&R HOF.  I mean, I outright acknowledged The Ramones' influence.  They just didn't have any hits.  (And no, "I Wanna Be Sedated" is not a hit.)

I'll cop to the fact that I don't find much compelling about The Ramones, but they were a vastly more important band than The Go Go's.

Reading comprehension, how does it work?

It's interesting to me that the Ramones were so influential to a genre of fairly serious music when they were basically vapid.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Ramones, but lyrically and sociologically, they're vapid.  The Sex Pistols' vapidity was part of the social commentary, if not by them directly, then by McLaren.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

(And no, "I Wanna Be Sedated" is not a hit.)

I don't wanna live in a world that has people who don't get this as a touchstone of rock and roll, and I'm not a big Ramones fan at all, but totally get their primordial place in punk rock. It took until Kurt Cobains Smells Like Teen Spirit to match it's place in rock music significance . Just one mans opinion.  

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's interesting to me that the Ramones were so influential to a genre of fairly serious music when they were basically vapid.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Ramones, but lyrically and sociologically, they're vapid.  The Sex Pistols' vapidity was part of the social commentary, if not by them directly, then by McLaren.

Yeah they were the DEVO of punk in some ways

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I will say I'm glad there are bands like The Ramones and DEVO who kind of take the piss out of super-serious "artistes".  I love The Clash, and prefer them to any other band of the punk movement, but sometimes it's good to just laugh.

The B-52's, and Widespread Panic say ... yep....

"Equate"?  No.  I think I outlined the differences that seem germane to the R&R HOF.  I mean, I outright acknowledged The Ramones' influence.  They just didn't have any hits.  (And no, "I Wanna Be Sedated" is not a hit.)

I'll cop to the fact that I don't find much compelling about The Ramones, but they were a vastly more important band than The Go Go's.

Reading comprehension, how does it work?

You used the exact phrases “how are they all that different” and “tossup”. Writing comprehension, how does it work? Just take your loss on the bad take and move on. It’s not that big of a deal.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

You used the exact phrases “how are they all that different” and “tossup”. Writing comprehension, how does it work? Just take your loss on the bad take and move on. It’s not that big of a deal.

Seems like there's little controversy over The Ramones' inclusion in the R&R HOF.  How are The Go Go's all that different?

Context is king.  Everything I wrote is true.  No loss taken.  Sorry I hurt your delicate Forest Hills punk feelings.

IMO, it pretty much begins with MC5 and the stooges but Ramones were first real full on "Garage Punk".  Punk had different flavors.  Devo, Blondie, New York Dolls, Ramones.  All punk of some sort.

I know some put Velvet Underground in Punk. A bit  TOO much diversity in my opinion.

Ramones were very very influential but Punk still happens without them. Go-Go's were interesting, good but more of a pop punk in the Blondie vein.  the all girl angle gets them more visibility. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

IMO, it pretty much begins with MC5 and the stooges but Ramones were first real full on "Garage Punk".  Punk had different flavors.  Devo, Blondie, New York Dolls, Ramones.  All punk of some sort.

I know some put Velvet Underground in Punk. A bit  TOO much diversity in my opinion.

Ramones were very very influential but Punk still happens without them. Go-Go's were interesting, good but more of a pop punk in the Blondie vein.  the all girl angle gets them more visibility. 

Quite frankly the GO GO's are like riding a moped, fun till your friends see you.  Gimme the Bangles all day over them. That they're even mentioned in the same sentence with the Ramones embarrasses me a bit for every one here on Surly.   And I actually participated I that.

Of course I'm being uber sarcastic, they were fun.

I saw Belinda Carlisle circa 1986 as a solo artist.  She was opening for Cheap Trick at a water park in FL.  She was all coked our then but still hot. Jane Wiedlin was always sneaky hot even as Joan of Arc in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.  As far as the Go-Go’s they were a solid pop band with some good 80s hits but not HOF worthy. Their best song is Our Lips Are Sealed.  

• Like 1

I actually saw the go go's peppermint lounge show that was referenced in the documentary the high school trip to New York I didn't know who they were .

someone suggested  we go see the show in a club and I was in, it was probably being in high school and  at a  show in New York City Hey were fun all 5 were cute so I bought every album over the years and found it enjoyable so I consider myself a fan. 

I also sing along to party in the USA when I'm alone in the Jeep and need to feel special

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I watched a bit of it yesterday.  I was a fan.

I can listen to "We Got the Beat" without being transported to "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Can, or can't? cause I can't 

13 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I saw Belinda Carlisle circa 1986 as a solo artist.  She was opening for Cheap Trick at a water park in FL.  She was all coked our then but still hot

Hell the appetite suppression is what made her hot. She was kinda pudgy in the go gos days but fire in the beginning of her solo career 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

38 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Belinda went a little wild with the face-lifts. She's definitely looking a little rough around the edges. Kinda odd that the former heroin addict (Charlotte) looked better than all of them. Jane's painted on eyebrows were juuuust a bit creepy.

did you see charlotte without makeup? she looked like the crypt keeper