Matt Campbell Gets It

Wally Pryor

55 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Holy shit, this fucking crowd loves a project coach.

No more fucking "next big thing" coaches.

We need a "currently a proven commodity with the trophies in FBS as a head coach" to verify it coach.

God damn this isn't complicated.

Let’s see...

We’re not getting Dabo or Saban.  Brian Kelly isn’t leaving Notre Dame nor is Chris Petersen leaving Washington. Lincoln Riley could pull a boss move and flip to Texas, but I wouldn’t count on it. Maybe we can convince Mack to come back? Who fits this bill and why would they want to come to a program where they fire you every 3-4 years?

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

3 points is solidly?

Yes.  TCU never led and didn't really seem like they could.  And they scored a TD at :00. 

Regardless, Campbell obviously sucks. He lost to LA, has never beaten Iowa and also lost to Northern Iowa once.  Fucking loser.

40 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

It's cool how you know exactly what coaches of other schools are and are not willing to do.

Saban isn't leaving LSU

Meyer is retiring Florida.

Meyer is retiring at OSU.

You're insufferable and pointless with your worthless opinions of shit that you express as a known reality based on no actual fact, at all. 

We are done.

Take your meds and call it a night

Some of you guys judge coaches and teams based on one weekend of play. It's silly. Other than Saban and Swinney, there isn't one coach out there who doesn't blow it occasionally.

It'll never happen. But we need to get out of the Big XII and get into the SEC where they play big boy football and big boy football players want to play. We get mostly second and third tier athletes to come to Austin. And that's a recipe for 9-4 seasons generally with the occasional aberration. We're Texas. And that doesn't mean what we want it to mean. It means mediocre.

9 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

I think Coach Campbell may not be a candy ass fraud.  

Our culture, the ones who hire coaches and build the structure around this program, are in the business of hiring candy ass frauds.  They are much less interested in Football than most of us want to admit.

Actually winning games is way down on their priority list relative to a LOT of other shit no matter what lip service they pay.

It's time people shake hands with and accept that reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not the cute shtick - the baseball bats on the team bus, the sledgehammer in the locker room, the gold teeth, the pimped up locker room, all the cute shit and more.

Campbell gets coaching, really gets it.  Discipline.  Execution. Exposing team's weaknesses. Putting players in the right place to win.  

And doing all of this with players that wouldn't get a sniff from Texas.

Fuck.

he's coaching at a school with zero expectations, probably why he didn't leave

Returning this program to something to be feared would mean cleaning house.  All of it from top to bottom including the players.  As long as we have this revolving door of emo anxiety ridden mollycoddled pussy types who think if it feels good it's good and if it feels bad it's bad, then it'll stay in Groundhog Day mode for eternity.

We need a coach and program that says, "Shut the fuck up and do your job!  I don't want to hear about how you feel."

Period.  End of sentence.  No exceptions.  You wanna do that shit on your own time?  Fine.  But not on this field, in that locker room, or when you're officially representing this program.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Let’s see...

We’re not getting Dabo or Saban.  Brian Kelly isn’t leaving Notre Dame nor is Chris Petersen leaving Washington. Lincoln Riley could pull a boss move and flip to Texas, but I wouldn’t count on it. Maybe we can convince Mack to come back? Who fits this bill and why would they want to come to a program where they fire you every 3-4 years?

Are we sure about that? And for the record, Chris Petersen already left Washington.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like Matt Campbell a lot!

I think he is exactly the right coach for Iowa State.

Iowa State’s AD said “Hey we have money but we want someone who wants to coach here. They have to want to be here.”

I think Matt does. He is a good coach. It takes time to really build a team. He cares about being there. Purdy has been in and out with mono and injuries so the last two-three years are hard to judge as a whole. I am happy for Iowa State. I hope he stays and develops that program better than Gundy has OSU. Jmo. 

Campbell gets it. I hope they appreciate him. And he stays. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I like Matt Campbell a lot!

I think he is exactly the right coach for Iowa State.

Iowa State’s AD said “Hey we have money but we want someone who wants to coach here. They have to want to be here.”

I think Matt does. He is a good coach. It takes time to really build a team. He cares about being there. Purdy has been in and out with mono and injuries so the last two-three years are hard to judge as a whole. I am happy for Iowa State. I hope he stays and develops that program better than Gundy has OSU. Jmo. 

Campbell gets it. I hope they appreciate him. And he stays. 

We love Matt, and will keep him for as long as we can.  

And he does get it...but by "it" I mean coaching at ISU.  

UT and ISU couldn't be more different with regard to football.  We have no expectations, your AD budget dwarfs ours, your state is the center of the high school football universe, your BMDs make ours look like the small time tight ass farmers they are.

Matt has nothing to do with UT except for making ISU into an opponent that's not a laughable waste of time.  Surely Longhorns fans can see the value of ISU being good. 

All the criticism of Campbell and ISU in here are 100% valid but so is the OPs point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

We love Matt, and will keep him for as long as we can.  

And he does get it...but by "it" I mean coaching at ISU.  

UT and ISU couldn't be more different with regard to football.  We have no expectations, your AD budget dwarfs ours, your state is the center of the high school football universe, your BMDs make ours look like the small time tight ass farmers they are.

Matt has nothing to do with UT except for making ISU into an opponent that's not a laughable waste of time.  Surely Longhorns fans can see the value of ISU being good. 

All the criticism of Campbell and ISU in here are 100% valid but so is the OPs point.

I  root for ISU. Always have. Tech also bc many family members and friends went there. Except when they play us. There is a lot of value in having a good ISU. I saw some flashes last night of what’s possible but I know y’all don’t dare to dream beyond next week. It would be cool though if y’all became a force in the conference. Jmo. There have been plenty of coordinators with talent and skill that have gone through Iowa State. I know it’s a challenge but I do think Campbell is a great hire for Iowa State. It’s hard to judge the last two three years because Purdy has been in and out of the lineup. 
Who will be the next QB? 

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I  root for ISU. Always have. Tech also bc many family members and friends went there. Except when they play us. There is a lot of value in having a good ISU. I saw some flashes last night of what’s possible but I know y’all don’t dare to dream beyond next week. It would be cool though if y’all became a force in the conference. Jmo. There have been plenty of coordinators with talent and skill that have gone through Iowa State. I know it’s a challenge but I do think Campbell is a great hire for Iowa State. It’s hard to judge the last two three years because Purdy has been in and out of the lineup. 
Who will be the next QB? 

The presumptive successor to Purdy is Hunter Dekkers.  Big Dutch kid from NW Iowa.  Holds the Iowa state records for passing yards and TDs.

• Like 2

Our culture, the ones who hire coaches and build the structure around this program, are in the business of hiring candy ass frauds.  They are much less interested in Football than most of us want to admit.
Actually winning games is way down on their priority list relative to a LOT of other shit no matter what lip service they pay.
It's time people shake hands with and accept that reality.
As much as it pains me, this is reality.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Returning this program to something to be feared would mean cleaning house.  All of it from top to bottom including the players.  As long as we have this revolving door of emo anxiety ridden mollycoddled pussy types who think if it feels good it's good and if it feels bad it's bad, then it'll stay in Groundhog Day mode for eternity.

We need a coach and program that says, "Shut the fuck up and do your job!  I don't want to hear about how you feel."

Period.  End of sentence.  No exceptions.  You wanna do that shit on your own time?  Fine.  But not on this field, in that locker room, or when you're officially representing this program.

Thanks. Sometimes I'm too afraid to comment stuff like this because people here will protect the players over the program. And I'd be lying if I thought our fanbase isn't part of the problem. Soooo many people just sitting around talking and feigning interest that look at you like you're insane when you get impassioned and yell about what's happening. (Although the student section was bringing it yesterday)

Sometimes I think that I'm being childish when I expect more from the players and that they don't owe me anything. Then I remember that I've been attending games since before I could remember, virtually my entire family attended Texas, and that there are no excuses for the on field product to not be better. 

It just seems like there's a lack of accountability from top to bottom with everyone involved and there's a premium placed on political correctness and snobbery rather than winning when none of those things are mutually exclusive. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

We get mostly second and third tier athletes to come to Austin.

Hmm. I know 32 people that would disagree with you that are very high up on the ladder of football evaluation and how to win football games at the highest level.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It just seems like there's a lack of accountability from top to bottom with everyone (including players) involved (at TEXAS) and there's a premium placed on political correctness and snobbery rather than winning when none of those things are mutually exclusive. 

FIFY

4hay2n.gif

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It just seems like there's a lack of accountability from top to bottom with everyone involved and there's a premium placed on political correctness and snobbery rather than winning when none of those things are mutually exclusive. 

BOOM!  And, yes, just wait till all the little Rescue Ranger/Enablers chime in on your post.  There are a LOT of people who see what you see, but don't want to get canceled here by the usual suspects.  Good on you for not cowering to those types.

DecisiveGoldenGallowaycow-size_restricte

Edited by Cajun

No, we're good with our existing head coach who inexplicably loses to teams he should beat. 

Matt Campbell has been known to do that too.

I love Campbell and think he’s a great fit for us. I don’t think he’s cut out to run a blue blood program. His teams really aren’t that disciplined. We’re winning through a combo of a really solid scheme and much better recruiting.

I just don’t see a Campbell team being disciplined enough to go all the way, and if he leaves ISU for a blue blood, he’ll be fired in 3 years. I think he knows this and it’s a big reason he stays. 8 wins in Ames, and you’re god.

36 minutes ago, Cajun said:

BOOM!  And, yes, just wait till all the little Rescue Ranger/Enablers chime in on your post.  There are a LOT of people who see what you see, but don't want to get canceled here by the usual suspects.  Good on you for not cowering to those types.

DecisiveGoldenGallowaycow-size_restricte

You are such a snowflake crybaby. Nobody disagrees that Texas doesn't prioritize winning. The issue with your stupid posts was that every program in the country had their players participating in the social justice stuff this offseason. Saban marched with his players just like Herman. 

The reason our team is playing like shit has nothing to do with that. They're bad in the exact same ways they've been bad for years. You're desperately trying to bring politics into something where it neither belongs nor has any relevance. 

Keep crying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It's not just social justice butthurt boy, it's everything.  It's ALL of the feelings over everything else Huck. Sally's cookies, "kids", juice bag pool parties, on and on.  Social justice whiny bitch stuff is just the latest point in a huge sample size of data points that indicates these guys are soft and fruity, not really caring that much about football.  

Project much?

Keep crying yourself pussy

Edited by Cajun
like I said zTejas, right on que one of the Rescue Ranger leaders shows up with bells on
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The reason our team is playing like shit has nothing to do with that.

Who is saying that? You're the one inserting politics. BJ Foster getting voted back on the team because we hurt his feelings has nothing to do with politics.

• Hook 'Em 1

He can't help but project z.

Frog and the scorpion.

If SJ gets even the slightest mention anywhere along the way that's what gets 1000% of the focus when the White Knighters come a'runnin'.  It's all or nothing.  Huck has always fancied himself as living on some imaginary moral mountaintop doling out "wisdom" to the peasants.  If your only tool is a hammer everything looks like a nail, sumthin' sumthin'...

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Cajun has said that on multiple threads. There's a reason I replied to him and not you. 

That's fair. He's trying to speak for me on this thread. I definitely don't have anything against BLM and the player's involvement in the issue. 

9 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

The fact that Juwan Mitchell and Brandon Foster are still part of this program tells you about lack of accountability. 

I don't know Mitchell's history, but Foster should not have been on the field a week after quitting. If you want to keep him on the team and let him earn it back, that's fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Let’s see...

Chris Petersen is now an adjunct professor at UW.  Our best chance to have him would have been the year Mack was fired and Petersen left Boise for the UW gig.  His record there didn't have the can't miss ring to it but I still wonder how he would have done on the Forty.  His last win was against his former employer coached by his former offensive coordinator, Bryan Harsin, who had a cup of coffee here at UT.

• 7 months later...

Every time a fan of another Big 12 school tells me they wish we'd beat Iowa, I wish they could feel the level of frustration I felt about 11:30PM Central on 9/14/19, or whenever the hell that punt got muffed.

It annoys you?  Imagine living in a world where you beat literally everyone except your in-state non-conference rival and they aren't even that good.

There's no reason we shouldn't beat Iowa by a handy margin.  Their QB is going to be playing in front of a hostile crowd for the first time in his career, and we're legitimately better than them at every single position group other than OL and special teams, and our OL isn't far behind them at this point.

But we'll probably lose because Campbell can't beat Ferentz.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Every time a fan of another Big 12 school tells me they wish we'd beat Iowa, I wish they could feel the level of frustration I felt about 11:30PM Central on 9/14/19, or whenever the hell that punt got muffed.

It annoys you?  Imagine living in a world where you beat literally everyone except your in-state non-conference rival and they aren't even that good.

There's no reason we shouldn't beat Iowa by a handy margin.  Their QB is going to be playing in front of a hostile crowd for the first time in his career, and we're legitimately better than them at every single position group other than OL and special teams, and our OL isn't far behind them at this point.

But we'll probably lose because Campbell can't beat Ferentz.

This game?

image.png.242e9c1b08e6e1e3043b03f1b2a6b3b6.png