Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

Maurice Washington had transfered to Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill for his senior year. That is the program run by Deon Sanders. He recruits nationally and then plays in a private school league against a bunch of completely undermanned teams. They beat my son's Regents team in the state finals the last two years. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It looks on a number of fronts that Nebraska either knew about the specifics from the start and didn't care/tried to cover for one of their players, was "made aware of the situation" and decided not to ask any further questions about it, or they were lied to from the jump and didn't do their homework. 

None of those options look great, except for those that will defend Nebraska football no matter what they do or don't do. 

No matter the outcome of the criminal case texting your ex GF a video of her being sexually assaulted when she was underage with the message "remember this hoe?" certainly is defensible if you ask me regardless if he was involved in the assault or  making the video. Not a good look at all. 

nu fan just told me this wasn't a big deal and wanted to know how I knew.  Told him I found the article on a surly post..then was told it was because of sour grapes, TX hates when a "blue chip" prospect goes out of state, especially to Nebraska. I told him not one school within the state offered him per the 247 page, he said that was fake news and the reason why they are happy in the big ten...  I gotta stop talking to idiots.

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

nu fan just told me this wasn't a big deal and wanted to know how I knew.  Told him I found the article on a surly post..then was told it was because of sour grapes, TX hates when a "blue chip" prospect goes out of state, especially to Nebraska. I told him not one school within the state offered him per the 247 page, he said that was fake news and the reason why they are happy in the big ten...  I gotta stop talking to idiots.

He can't admit that one of their top recruits wasn't good enough for even a lower mid-tier Big XII team.  It would kill his entire NU-centric world view.  It's like dealing with aunts and uncles who can't admit you're an adult and treat you like one.  Doing so would be an acknowledgement that they're OLD.

• Like 1

Is it possible that anyone other than a Nebraska fan would believe this BS they are trying to sell? 

They better hope they covered their tracks because sorry there isn't a shot in hell that all of this was done without anyone at Nebraska knowing the nature of the investigation. 

Football program staff then introduced Washington to Jon Bruning, a former Nebraska attorney general, who department officials said had “a long-standing friendship with Matt Davison, Associate Athletic Director-Football, and Head Coach Scott Frost preceding either’s employment at the University of Nebraska.”

Nebraska football staff were clear to both Bruning and Washington that Washington had to be treated as a normal client and billed appropriately, the department said.

Frost had subsequent communication with Bruning to determine whether the football program needed to be concerned with the issue or take any action, department officials said. Bruning did not share the nature of the inquiry “due to attorney-client privilege,” officials said, but said that it involved a text message from when Washington was in California and that he “doubted it would result in criminal charges.”

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/arrest-warrant-signed-for-maurice-washington-nebraska-officials-detail-contact/article_6f9a6c2e-4708-51f4-9ee1-dc637a7abc15.html

On 2/13/2019 at 10:09 AM, Thiefery said:

The never ending insane conspiracy theories driven by their local media was really frustrating. I am sure glad they are gone, that got so tiresome. Hopefully they can start making up lies about other schools instead.

43 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Indeed.  The official timeline make no sense.  I'm waiting for the media requests for athletic dept under state open records or FOIA.

7 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Indeed.  The official timeline make no sense.  I'm waiting for the media requests for athletic dept under state open records or FOIA.

Yeah, unless they were smart and did everything in person (not a chance) there will be plenty of records showing that members of the coaching staff and the AD knew about what was going on the whole time.  

2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yep.  Raises as many questions as it answers, IMO.  Lots of stalling and jerking the CA authorities around, first by the Nebraska athletic department and then later by the kid's attorney, to whom the football staff conveniently  steered Washington.

It's also very interesting how the Nebraska "football staff" got Washington lawyered up ASAP in September, 2018 with the former Nebraska AG so that the football program could later claim that the attorney couldn't provide the program with any details about the case due to "attorney-client privilege," which allowed the program to keep its proverbial head in the sand.  And if you believe that Washington could afford the former AG's rates or that the AG's bills are going to be paid by Washington or the kid's family, then I've got some swamp land I'd like to sell you.      

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yep.  Raises as many questions as it answers, IMO.  Lots of stalling and jerking the CA authorities around, first by the Nebraska athletic department and then later by the kid's attorney, to whom the football staff conveniently  steered Washington.

It's also very interesting how the Nebraska "football staff" got Washington lawyered up ASAP in September, 2018 with the former Nebraska AG so that the football program could later claim that the attorney couldn't provide the program with any details about the case due to "attorney-client privilege," which allowed the program to keep its proverbial head in the sand.  And if you believe that Washington could afford the former AG's rates or that the AG's bills are going to be paid by Washington or the kid's family, then I've got some swamp land I'd like to sell you.      

Since UNL or its athletic dept is obviously paying the lawyer, any attorney-client privilege would be between the school and the lawyer, not the player and the lawyer.  Who is paying is one of the things that should come out in any FOIA request.  This part is especially revealing:

Sept. 14, 2018: Bruning calls Sexton and says he was contacted by the athletic department about Washington and represented the athletic department. Sexton tells Bruning about the case and Bruning says he would speak with Washington and his coaches to see if an interview could be set up. (Bruning has denied that he ever purported to represent the university or the athletic department.)

Sounds like the lawyer accidentally told the truth there before realizing what the cover story was supposed to be.

10 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Since UNL or its athletic dept is obviously paying the lawyer, any attorney-client privilege would be between the school and the lawyer, not the player and the lawyer.  Who is paying is one of the things that should come out in any FOIA request.

Like you indicated, we'll have to see if further investigation reveals whether UNL retained Bruning on behalf of Washington.  I won't be surprised if there is no paper trail in that regard and if Bruning's invoices (assuming there are any) are directed solely to Washington.

But I would also bet that the athletic department basically has an arrangement of some sort with Bruning, who is a big NU booster.  He may be essentially doing this work pro bono.  Or if he is to be paid, it's possible a third party may be responsible for making the payments.  I'd be shocked if there is any sort of paper trail linking the athletic department with the retention of Bruning. 

By the way, I don't have any knowledge of Nebraska evidentiary laws regarding privileges, but in many jurisdictions it's possible for the privilege to encompass not only communications between the attorney (Bruning) and ostensible client (Washington), but also communications between the attorney and a third person who is responsible for paying the attorney.  A common scenario involves kid getting hit with a criminal charge (e.g., DUI) and parents retaining and paying an attorney to act on behalf of the kid.  In that scenario, the attorney is going to have to be able to communicate in confidence with both the kid and the parents, and the privilege will encompass all those communications.  But in this case, it appears there are already some public statements to the effect that the university did not retain Bruning, so it may be difficult for NU to say that any communications it had with Bruning are privileged.

Not much news but the latest-

ICYMI, the latest in the Washington saga. His first lawyer, Jon Bruning, said he never thought investigation would amount to criminal charges, even after a California detective threatened arrest, Bruning alleged. He said he did everything by the book.

I'm not a lawyer but I assume the old "do nothing and hope it goes away" isn't the best route to go. Right? 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:36 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Like you indicated, we'll have to see if further investigation reveals whether UNL retained Bruning on behalf of Washington.  I won't be surprised if there is no paper trail in that regard and if Bruning's invoices (assuming there are any) are directed solely to Washington.

But I would also bet that the athletic department basically has an arrangement of some sort with Bruning, who is a big NU booster.  He may be essentially doing this work pro bono.  Or if he is to be paid, it's possible a third party may be responsible for making the payments.  I'd be shocked if there is any sort of paper trail linking the athletic department with the retention of Bruning. 

By the way, I don't have any Nowledge of Nebraska evidentiary laws regarding privileges, but in many jurisdictions it's possible for the privilege to encompass not only communications between the attorney (Bruning) and ostensible client (Washington), but also communications between the attorney and a third person who is responsible for paying the attorney.  A common scenario involves kid getting hit with a criminal charge (e.g., DUI) and parents retaining and paying an attorney to act on behalf of the kid.  In that scenario, the attorney is going to have to be able to communicate in confidence with both the kid and the parents, and the privilege will encompass all those communications.  But in this case, it appears there are already some public statements to the effect that the university did not retain Bruning, so it may be difficult for NU to say that any communications it had with Bruning are privileged.

Context-specific spelling corrected

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:47 PM, TexasMan said:

And Pelini signed with Youngstown State again now that he isn't making his millions from Nebraska. Not sure how much for, but will be more than the $213,894 in base salary the past four years at YSU, to go with the $7.65 million salary buyout. It's his home and his kids all play here.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tex Long said:

You aren't fooling anyone with that nonsense. That ain't working, that's the way you do it - money for nothing, and something something.

The Huskers thought they could get away from being "chicks for free" guaranteed win for Texas & Oklahoma... Ha... 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

most scientists, if you ask them, will tell you that Texas would have taken you all three of those years

strange but true

I guess that is why they don't usually let scientists coach football teams. 

Anyhow, enough with living in the past.  What happened in 1995 or 2005 doesn't mean much for the 2019 season, at least to me.  I am highly interested in seeing if NU coach Scott Frost really does have the recipe for lightning in a bottle or if he was just a flash in the pan.  I think the offense will roll, but I don't know if he can field an exceptional defense, or even above average.