2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Who are those high leverage relievers you wanted him to use in the 7th inning? The same guys who allowed multiple baserunners last night and then blew the game and allowed a walk off win for the As? Graveman threw thirty pitches last night, it's absurd to think that he should come in the game in the 7th and you need to keep Pressly for later in the game since Maton only needed to get one out. And he still left the game tied.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is completely true and I agree with you 100%. Over a long enough period of time the difference between the best strategic manager and the worst is probably 2 or 3 games a year is all. But we pay guys $10 million per WAR in the open market and we have entire departments created looking for a 5/10th of a point advantage here or there. It does sort of matter at the margins and baseball is a game where the margins are important during a 162 game season bc there are so many inputs. 
the 2020 team finished below 500 after having been awesome. Cool. Whatever. Covid weird yada yada. This team is underperforming it’s peripheral numbers and much worse record wise than similar type teams that came before it (2017 and 18- 2019 was a class above). That doesn’t make a good argument for him being a good skipper.yes- guys seem to like him and are willing to play for him. You could do worse. But you could also do a lot better and when he makes a mistake it’s more glaring bc it’s an unforced error/nobody else is throwing 97 on the black trying to prevent him from making the right decision.  

James Click/Jim Crane have far more blame for the team underperforming imo than Dusty Baker because management didn't adequately address the bullpen issues early on and also failed to land an ace starting pitcher at the deadline. We could have had McHugh in the offseason and they didn't even give him a sniff.

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

James Click/Jim Crane have far more blame for the team underperforming imo than Dusty Baker because management didn't adequately address the bullpen issues early on and also failed to land an ace starting pitcher at the deadline. We could have had McHugh in the offseason and they didn't even give him a sniff.

I think the downgrade from Lunow  to Click is huge. I really don’t like click. Also, I think lunow would have locked Correa up already. 

I didn't watch the game live yesterday so I went back and watched the replay of the 7th through 9th innings and holy fuck some of y'all were massively overreacting and hopefully you've come to your senses this morning.

Javier pitched better than I expected, very good actually, 5 K 1 H 1 R over 2.2 innings. He was cruising until the 7th when gave up a single, HBP, fly ball out that advanced both runners and fielders choice ground out to make it a 3-2 gm. There were two outs in the inning, a runner on third base, and the bullpen still needed to get seven more outs in a one-run game to get the victory. And y'all wanted Graveman???!! Or Pressly??

Dudes, it was only the 7th inning , you don't bring in either one of those guys in that situation considering a) Graveman has struggled lately and just threw thirty pitches the night before and b ) Pressly has not been used that way all season long so why would you change his routine for a Sept regular season game with the team ahead by a run???? The fuck is wrong with y'all????

Enter Maton, who only needed to get one dang out. He did a good job of not giving Olson anything to hit and pitched around him, then got immediately screwed by the hpu on the first pitch to Canha. Instead of pitching him 0-1, he's at 1-0, gets a swinging strike on an 80 mph slider, followed by another slider in the same spot that Canha pulls and hits into the ground and somehow Bregman didn't glove it. That batted ball had an exit velo of 85mpn and an xBA of .100 per statcast. That *should have* been the third out of the inning, Maton *should have* been walking off the mound having done his job to end that threat, but because a play wasn't made by one of our core studs, y'all are knee-jerking all over the threadwith "fuck you dusty!"hot takes. Granted, it's allowable in the moment to get pissed off and throw words around, but having watched that inning, I can't understand how any of you wouldn't have just chalked that up to "ahh, fuckin baseball." Maton made his pitches, he didn't get hit hard, but sometimes the guys behind you don't make the plays they usually do.

That's baseball, and Dusty Baker doesn't have any control over that....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Crane is a fucking moron for firing Luhnow.  We should have gone the Sean Peyton thing and had Luhnow take a year off and then come back into the fold.

Fucking idiot.

Side note the White Sox magic number is 3 since we own the tiebreaker.   They are pounding Detroit so the Stros better go .500 (or better) in the final 6.