Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Roach was also wayyy behind on Stewart last time around when he said he as shutting down his recruitment. Regardless, UGA is clearly entering the picture based on his twitter activity

And didn't IT or someone have Harris at 80% confidence after a recent call with Sark/TJ? Sounds like another source off

That's great, but he's actually met Evan Stewart

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

How about we don't melt down about Stewart and Harris

Timelines are a far way off. It's normal for new schools to enter the picture when a prospect takes a step back. CTJ has said Stewart's recruitment is likely clean. If it's not, that's probably not disqualifying with the new staff. We're building the rest of the class now. We can wait to get emotionally invested in these two until the summer when they take visits. 

This ain't a meltdown. This is, however, a "wow those are the two worst schools Texas wants talking to a priority target".

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

As long as Malcolm Kelly is there, TCU won't be easy to deal with in WR recruiting. At the very least they'd be happy to push Stewart to Athens.

lol classic satya.  Go look up TCU's last 4 recruiting classes and tell me how many receivers they've signed in the top 250 nationally and then go tell me they're overall class rank in 2021. They are not a threat in WR recruiting or recruiting in general. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

lol classic satya.  Go look up TCU's last 4 recruiting classes and tell me how many receivers they've signed in the top 250 nationally and then go tell me they're overall class rank in 2021. They are not a threat in WR recruiting or recruiting in general. 

Was their 2021 recruiting class the worst one they have signed since Patterson has been there?  I’m too lazy to look but it was fucking terrible. That man has one foot out the door based on his work ethic right now. 

36 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Fat Pat has really struggled these past couple years. How many more .500 seasons until the horned frog faithful send him into retirement?

TCU doesn't care about winning or Fat Pat would be packing since he's done nothing in his entirety at TCU and the school doesn't care would be an easy target to assess to their program.  Everybody knows this though.  Plus, if they ever want to attend TCU, they can portal there just as easily.  Close to home is the only sell. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

TCU doesn't care about winning or Fat Pat would be packing since he's done nothing in his entirety at TCU and the school doesn't care would be an easy target to assess to their program.  Everybody knows this though.  Plus, if they ever want to attend TCU, they can portal there just as easily.  Close to home is the only sell. 

All of this is wrong

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

All of this is wrong

He hasn't won a championship, even though he technically was denied a shot.  Seems like a long time ago, in another conference. Texas played for two this century.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This ain't a meltdown. This is, however, a "wow those are the two worst schools Texas wants talking to a priority target".

Patterson is annoying, but I'm not putting him in the top two on that list.

49 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Fat Pat has really struggled these past couple years. How many more .500 seasons until the horned frog faithful send him into retirement?

Well, he keeps beating us. That's probably the main thing keeping his seat cool at this point.

3 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

He hasn't won a championship, even though he technically was denied a shot.  Seems like a long time ago, in another conference. Texas played for two this century.

He won a Rose Bowl, earned their way into a P5 conference, probably should have made the Playoff, and won another NY6 bowl, and they got their stadium totally redone on the back of all that.

For TCU, all of that is a big deal. That said, he's on thin ice this season. Because they care about winning.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He won a Rose Bowl, earned their way into a P5 conference, probably should have made the Playoff, and won another NY6 bowl, and they got their stadium totally redone on the back of all that.

For TCU, all of that is a big deal. That said, he's on thin ice this season. Because they care about winning.

Big 12 record

TCU Horned Frogs (Big 12 Conference) (2012–present)
2012 TCU 7–6 4–5 T–5th L Buffalo Wild Wings    
2013 TCU 4–8 2–7 T–7th      
2014 TCU 12–1 8–1 T–1st W Peach† 3 3
2015 TCU 11–2 7–2 T–2nd W Alamo 7 7
2016 TCU 6–7 4–5 5th L Liberty    
2017 TCU 11–3 7–2 2nd W Alamo 9 9
2018 TCU 7–6 4–5 T–5th W Cheez-It    
2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      
2020 TCU 6–4 5–4 6th CX Texas

He did better in a smaller conference.     

• Fuck You 1

I’m curious how the situations like Kristopher Ross play out like they do. 

He is unranked on 247 but plays for North Shore so obviously plenty of exposure. Gets a UTSA offer during the season but then nothing else until after his junior season. Gets some group 5 five offers in Jan then in Feb OU offers. After that he gets Texas, LSU, USC all within a two week span and now seems poised to commit to UT with a commutable offer. 

For Texas and the other big schools what changed exactly in February? Were they all happy to keep him on the back burner until OU offered and accelerated the timeline? Just a normal lag for staffs to go through their evals after a season or did he show up to some camps and impress?

I excited about the potential pickup and he’s obviously a guy that will shoot up the rankings but I’m curious about what is going on behind the scenes when a guy suddenly becomes a commodity in a period where no football is being played. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Big 12 record

2013 TCU 4–8 2–7 T–7th      
2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      

Now you're just agreeing with me. He has done a lot more than nothing in his entirety at TCU (there's a conference co-championship and NY6 win, as well as three 11+ win seasons in that screenshot), and they do care about winning because all indications out of Fort Worth are that he's on the hot seat.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

All of this. 

When Lowe died, Gary's seat got A LOT hotter. They care about winning and they expect to win and are not happy with current results. 

16 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Patterson is annoying, but I'm not putting him in the top two on that list.

33 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That man has one foot out the door based on his work ethic right now. 

you should have him in the top 2. There is not a HC in the country that can hit home more when you don't have clear messaging from everyone dealing with that recruit. He can absolutely change the direction of a recruit's perception of your program and he does it with recruits leaning to Texas, OU, and aggy regularly. Is he getting those guys? No, but he's more than happy to be the spoiler and ruin your recruitment. It's not hard to see them each year and it's why you should always be aware of the amount of effort he puts into a Texas lean. 

As for his work ethic, he's working hard but he's in full panic mode because his seat is hot AF and his gamble to bring in shady fuckers via the portal was not lost on the 2021 class who decided not to go to TCU as their tertiary choice, heading instead to SMU, Arky, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona State. 

His problems come not from a work ethic issue but from the very place that @texifornia pointed out - they care about winning and are NOT happy with his results. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Big 12 record

2013 TCU 4–8 2–7 T–7th      
2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      

i get that but they also pull the NFL draft card when going heads up with us..  Not worried about it.  Program will be better with Sark at the helm

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm definitely not satya, and I'm not going to argue that they have been consistent at it, but there is one big one that they got. Quentin Johnston.

As a true freshman he helped TCU beat us this year. If he was at Texas we most likely win that game. He had one big catch and I think I remember a couple of PI's as well.

He also had more yards receiving than our top receiver this year. Quentin Johnston was a big loss in recruiting for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

All of this. 

When Lowe died, Gary's seat got A LOT hotter. They care about winning and they expect to win and are not happy with current results. 

you should have him in the top 2. There is not a HC in the country that can hit home more when you don't have clear messaging from everyone dealing with that recruit. He can absolutely change the direction of a recruit's perception of your program and he does it with recruits leaning to Texas, OU, and aggy regularly. Is he getting those guys? No, but he's more than happy to be the spoiler and ruin your recruitment. It's not hard to see them each year and it's why you should always be aware of the amount of effort he puts into a Texas lean. 

As for his work ethic, he's working hard but he's in full panic mode because his seat is hot AF and his gamble to bring in shady fuckers via the portal was not lost on the 2021 class who decided not to go to TCU as their tertiary choice, heading instead to SMU, Arky, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona State. 

His problems come not from a work ethic issue but from the very place that @texifornia pointed out - they care about winning and are NOT happy with his results. 

That's almost 10 years with one conference championship.  He's going to get a decade of this and they won't win it next year either.  That's a really long leash.  

Edit: Can they afford to pay for the overhaul of a coaching staff and bringing in a name or going after smaller program coaches that may not hit?  

Edited by Mdhorn

5 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I'm definitely not satya, and I'm not going to argue that they have been consistent at it, but there is one big one that they got. Quentin Johnston.

As a true freshman he helped TCU beat us this year. If he was at Texas we most likely win that game. He had one big catch and I think I remember a couple of PI's as well.

He also had more yards receiving than our top receiver this year. Quentin Johnston was a big loss in recruiting for us.

Fuckin fuck. Don't remind me about him. I can only take solace in the possibility that we're going to make it rain receivers this cycle. 

3 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

That's almost 10 years with one conference championship.  He's going to get a decade of this and they won't win it next year either.  That's a really long leash.

First, like I said when Dick Lowe died that leash went from 20 feet to 2 feet in a second.  He's on the hot seat despite being the most successful HC in their history. I don't think that's an insanely long leash. 

TCU HC wins and winning % to give some perspective on why Gary has earned said long leash. 

Screen-Shot-2021-02-15-at-1-39-51-PM.png

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

That was more from Hermans fuckery than anything else. 

11 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Yep and they were only able to do that because of Herman/Mehringer fuckery. That's the only top 250 WR they've landed in 4 years, and their recruiting has dropped off a ton since then.  They're not a threat in recruiting.

Edited by Burt Macklin

9 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

That was a dick punch for sure, but different staff and different player. TCU is not a threat to take Evan Stewart from Texas. 

18 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Edit: Can they afford to pay for the overhaul of a coaching staff and bringing in a name or going after smaller program coaches that may not hit?  

There’s a lot of money in Fort Worth to pay for an overhaul. They don’t have the same resources blue bloods, but they absolutely have resources to pull a decent name. A tier below UT or a take a chance on a younger name.

Edited by Daichee Bell

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

All of this. 

His problems come not from a work ethic issue but from the very place that @texifornia pointed out - they care about winning and are NOT happy with his results. 

You're lumping me in with other arguments, I never said anything about work ethic. But I worry about Patterson on the field way more than I do with recruiting. Patterson's recruiting pitch only works against us because he's beaten us 6 of the last 7 times we've played (which is totally embarrassing).

The h2h wins came first, he initially beat us with Mountain West level recruits. He's not some recruiting wizard, that sell of his loses all appeal the second we beat their ass.

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

TCU stole Quintin Johnston (composite #71) from us in 2020. While their overall recruiting ranking has been terrible, somehow they poach one or two players from us every year. I doubt this will happen with Stewart though.

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

TCU stole Quintin Johnston (composite #71) from us in 2020. While their overall recruiting ranking has been terrible, somehow they poach one or two players from us every year. I doubt this will happen with Stewart though.

Not *every* year

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

(I supposed Chase Jackson technically had an offer from us, but meh)

Edited by texifornia

8 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

With the exception of QJ they really never poach a highly ranked player who Texas offers and prioritizes early. When they sign a guy with a Texas offer it tends to be late riser types who Texas mostly ignored until we missed out on higher ranked guys and were unable to make up the difference in a short about of time. 

TCU can't compete for guys like Stewart who everyone in the country is after for 3 years unless it's a Zach Evans situation with extenuating circumstances. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

All of this. 

All of this.  TCU's BMDs have been dropping like flies the past year.  Enis is still alive but I'm not sure if he is as firmly in Patterson's corner as Lowe, et al.  

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

You’re right if he’s at UT then we probably win that game. However, that also buys another year for Herman and that would have been way worse.

(Rivals) Fact or Fiction: Maalik Murphy is a better get for Texas than Quinn Ewers.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Maalik Murphy brings a lot to the table and is a huge get for Steve Sarkisian but an in-state commitment from Quinn Ewers would mean more to recruiting than an elite QB from California. What I like about this is that Texas lost Ewers and Sark came in and landed one of the elite passers in the country regardless. His offense is intriguing to quarterbacks but Ewers' in-state ties would be a bit better.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Ewers has the edge in terms of proof on the field but I’m going to say Murphy is a better get because it starts to validate Sarkisian’s efforts and ability to recruit the West region which has been valuable to Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and other national powers across the country. The Longhorns won’t focus their entire recruiting class on players from the West especially since in-state recruiting needs to be a major focus, but cherry-picking some top prospects could provide valuable additions to the class. Murphy proves that it’s possible. Bijan Robinson was a major name to head to Austin and now Murphy has all the tools to be special there as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting