Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The Ewers in state recruiting angle continues to get over stated. There’s lots of reasons he’s a better QB but this isn’t one of them.

We don't need recruiting help from an in-state QB, regardless of how highly rated he is. We could, however, use the pull a highly rated Cali QB has among other recruits in the state. It's a much easier sell to an out-of-state recruit to come to Texas when some of his peers are coming here as well.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, victory88 said:

He’s not going to flip back.  He is actively recruiting kids to tOSU.  

I also have this feeling he probably regrets committing to tOSU so quick.  Sark is about to clean up on skill positions and it looks like Flood has us sitting real good with some elite OL.  I’d be willing to bet Texas ends up with a better offensive class compared to tOSU when it’s all said and done for 2022.  

Hopefully Ewers is an Adrian Peterson type moment for us. Last time we lost someone that wanted to be here but could not bring themselves to overlook all our faults won nothing and we won an MNC. Peterson had good reason to flip after watching the Texas - OU debacle as did Ewers thinking Herman would still be here. As long as fate works out for us then I am good, at least that is what I tell myself.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The Ewers in state recruiting angle continues to get over stated. There’s lots of reasons he’s a better QB but this isn’t one of them.

Seriously. I want Ewers over Murphy because he’s a much better QB prospect. The in-state vs. out-of-state bullshit does not factor in at all. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Rivals) Fact or Fiction: Maalik Murphy is a better get for Texas than Quinn Ewers.

Farrell is definitely on top of Murphy’s recruitment. 

1. QB Maalik Murphy is set to commit to Texas.  

Maalik Murphy
Maalik Murphy (Nick Lucero/Rivals.com)

Farrell’s take: FICTION. There have been rumors that the talented West Coast quarterback is leaning toward Texas and there could be some truth to that. However, Murphy has also been linked to other schools such as Oregon, UCLA, Michigan and others at this point in the process. A lot will come down to how long he wants to wait and if he can get out for some visits. I expect the big-name quarterbacks to be off the board by June at the latest, so Texas is in good shape here it seems, but I don’t see a commitment immediately.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Murphy has watched many other quarterbacks come off the board recently and the four-star quarterback is a smart kid who could be getting closer to a decision. He has had an excellent relationship with new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian for a long time and the offense would be perfect for what Murphy can do. The Longhorns have an edge in his recruitment. UCLA, Oregon and others are also high on the list.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Seems well deserved, surprised he's moving off coaching

Hilarious if true, Roach's update from last night: 

There was a subject on the board today about Texas assistant running backs coach Brandon Harris moving into the Director of Recruiting role Bryan Carrington vacated. I'm not sure where that report originated, but I checked with a source who told me there was not truth to anything of that nature. Carrington was originally an assistant DPP and the role Director of Recruiting was created to retain him after early success. It's unclear if Texas will fill that specific role moving forward.

That will teach Roach to take a firm stance in his reporting I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Seems well deserved, surprised he's moving off coaching

Good for him. I bet he's still the top candidate if Drayton bounces to the NFL though.

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Guess the streets were wrong this time

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Good time to point out that the worrying over Stewart and TCU on the last few pages started because of a Roach report, and Roach doesn't fucking know anything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

https://247sports.com/player/josh-conerly-46057420/

West Coast offers going out today. 

Yeah, interesting OL offers today. Hopefully, some of these guys will bite - as numbers dwindle others will jump in out of fear of losing their spot.

We have a million possibilities at the skill positions but OL and DL will make or break this class after the 2021 shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'll admit I don't get terribly excited about most DB and WR offers given that skill players grow on trees

We’ve been saying that for so long and been getting a lot of rotten fruit throughout the process. Elite players at every position matter.

Along with development of said players... DAMN IT! Fuck your Tom Herman!

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

We’ve been saying that for so long and been getting a lot of rotten fruit throughout the process. Elite players at every position matter.

The receivers are there to be had when you don't have a Mensa/Meh braintrust at the helm. Hell, even that backup backup choice 3* Lee from the last class looks like he might be a great get and he's the 78th ranked player in the state. Even nationally there's probably more WR prospects than anything else every year. DBs have mostly been pretty good.

Edited by Bevo14

I agree. I mean sure having him onboard might be a little better for in state recruiting..but he doesnt seem like the twitter twatter type of bellcow.

15 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

He’s not my Tom Herman.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

West Coast offers going out today. 

More importantly, West Coast OL offers. Either they don’t feel confident with the in-state bunch or just don’t think they are as good as the new offers (which is sort of reflected in the rankings). 

The receivers are there to be had when you don't have a Mensa/Meh braintrust at the helm. Hell, even that backup backup choice 3* Lee from the last class looks like he might be a great get and he's the 78th ranked player in the state. Even nationally there's probably more WR prospects than anything else every year. DBs have mostly been pretty good.

Between 20/21, the dbs have been a mixture of the best the state has to offer and decent evals. Luckily, we haven’t missed out on highly regarded, whole package type guys because, well, there haven’t been any.
The room composition will shake out nicely if we can land speed and athleticism in ‘22, imo. The elder statesmen will be of the hard working and/or heady variety that we’ve been missing as leaders in that room for awhile.

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

More importantly, West Coast OL offers. Either they don’t feel confident with the in-state bunch or just don’t think they are as good as the new offers (which is sort of reflected in the rankings). 

Or because we can't afford to get left with our dick in our hands again. Gotta land quality guys, if better prospects want to join down the line, that's the better problem to have.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yeah, roster needs obviously at play too. We could land Campbell, Banks, and Dewberry tomorrow and the staff still couldn't slow down on OL recruiting after the wet fart OL recruiting of 2021. They need good takes and numbers there so it makes sense to supplement with OOS guys.  

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Wow. I remember hearing about him in the wake of the Flight 93 story, and now there's a high school named after him that's been around for nearly two decades.

mattdamonsavingprivateryan.gif

Gotta be honest, I have no idea what connection you're referencing and I'm clearly not Googling the right thing to find it.

51 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I agree. I mean sure having him onboard might be a little better for in state recruiting..but he doesnt seem like the twitter twatter type of bellcow.

Just win and in state recruiting will take care of itself. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Didn’t notice that until you mentioned it. RIP to that dude and I’m toasting him and the rest of those folks on that flight with the Manhattan I’m drinking right now. 

You might be right. Don’t know. The thing that crossed my mind is a little different. A good strategy that we’ve never seen deployed, but others do regularly, is cast a wide early net nationally with guys you wouldn’t regret recruiting if they showed interest. Then, if one shows real interest, fight for him the whole way. Let the rest fall to the side while building the class in-state and with your super region. You wind up with a handful of cherry-picked fits at the national level to go with your heavily worked local crop. It’s a strategy that could work and I’m hoping that’s what they’re up to versus it just being about things not looking great locally. And I don’t think they’re worried about things locally in this cycle. 

Coincidence.  I'm drinking a Manhattan as well, and those courageous patriots deserve several toasts.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

His dad is a Ghanaian prince. I actually think I've emailed with him before. Maybe that $500 I sent will come in handy. 

https://www.si.com/college/washington/recruiting/2022-uw-recruiting-target-malik-agbo-son-of-an-african-prince-represents-recruiting-royalty

Edited by KYHorn

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting