Austin Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

On 12/7/2018 at 12:45 PM, Deej said:

Jean Pierre's Upstairs. Loved that place. One of the guys that worked there own's El Dorados on Anderson, I believe.

Was that the one that was in that brick retail deal at 35th & Jefferson?  It was kinda hidden on the second level in the middle of the building with no real apparent entry?  Took the wife there on a couple of dates probably around 2002-2004 (Ish)?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Was that the one that was in that brick retail deal at 35th & Jefferson?  It was kinda hidden on the second level in the middle of the building with no real apparent entry?  Took the wife there on a couple of dates probably around 2002-2004 (Ish)?  

That's the one. 

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

East Side Cafe is closing at the end of the month.  Not many restaurants in Austin that I would be truly upset if they closed, but this is one of them.   I have been going there for 15+ years, and that buttermilk pie is one of the best food items in the city.   

Haven't been there in almost a decade, but my wife and I went there a lot during our newlywed years. 

east side cafe, i always thought they got by more on their austin-ness than their actual food.  used to go there a bunch in the early and mid 2000s. tapered off after 2007 when we moved out of central austin, and when we go back with friends the food is underwhelming although the nostalgia keeps bringing us back.  in that way it's like trudy's or kerbey ln.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:10 PM, gsoda3 said:

east side cafe, i always thought they got by more on their austin-ness than their actual food.  used to go there a bunch in the early and mid 2000s. tapered off after 2007 when we moved out of central austin, and when we go back with friends the food is underwhelming although the nostalgia keeps bringing us back.  in that way it's like trudy's or kerbey ln.

Yikes, they haven't even closed yet!

• 4 weeks later...

Clarksville institution Nau’s Enfield Drug closed its diner on 1115 West Lynn Street due staffing struggles, as reported by CultureMap Austin, since mid-January. The pharmacy and store remain operational.

“I have never wanted to give up hope,” wrote owner Lauren Labay in a letter sent to patrons and friends, which was obtained by CultureMap, but that she is unsure when the restaurant will resume.

The diner and soda fountain shop have been in trouble for some time. Labay brought up competition from other neighborhood restaurants (like Galaxy CafeZocalo, and Caffe Medici, which are all on the same street), and a shortage of full-time cooks and servers, a problem faced by many restaurants in Austin.

• 1 year later...

Arby's on Ben White and South Lamar closed permanently today. Nostalgic loss more than anything. The one on N. Burnet closed about 15 years ago and became a Hat Creek, but the bigger loss was when the one on Guadalupe across from Dog and Duck closed in the 90s (first becoming a sit down Sonic and now apartments). Guess I'll have to drive to Buda for Horsey Sauce now.

14 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Arby's on Ben White and South Lamar closed permanently today. Nostalgic loss more than anything. The one on N. Burnet closed about 15 years ago and became a Hat Creek, but the bigger loss was when the one on Guadalupe across from Dog and Duck closed in the 90s (first becoming a sit down Sonic and now apartments). Guess I'll have to drive to Buda for Horsey Sauce now.

There's an Arby's at 183 and Ohlen. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was a cool restaurant.  Food was okay but I liked that patio and that little back bar in the SW corner.  

Fun fact, assistant basketball coach Chris Ogden's wife...her law firm bought it a few years back and turned into their offices.  They used to throw awesome parties there until they sold it.  Then I think it tried to become something else briefly before the condo thing started in earnest.  

12 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thinking of Louie's 106 also reminded me of a time period when I would do lunch, drinks, and/or dinner (why not both? GIF goes here) at Shoreline Grill at 98 San Jacinto next to the Four Seasons almost weekly, sometimes even for a weekend dinner party.  Such a cool location, nice deck, and really good food.

I had a lot of law school recruiting meals there. In fact, I don’t recall ever paying at Shoreline.

Dammit, what was the name of the place either at the same location or near where Moonshine is?  It was my go-to date spot.  City Grill?

Yep.

And I had the most depressing law school recruiting lunch at Louies 106. Table of 5. Poor law student, I ordered a pork loin special. Beautiful plate of food. And I spent the entire lunch in conversation, answering questions, etc. Took about three bites. At the end, waiter asks me if I need a to-go box. It’s a recruiting lunch, I have to be professional and cool, so, no. Watched him toss away what would have been my best meal in a month in the trash.

Got the job, though.

This guy made a pretty big impact on the restaurant scene in Austin -- Jeffrey's, Shoreline Grille, etc.  RIP.

Jeffrey Weinberger

Jeffrey Weinberger

Austin - Jeffrey Weinberger, founder of iconic Jeffrey's Restaurant and one of the most beloved and respected restaurateurs in Austin, passed away Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at the age of 74.

Jeff was born on March 25, 1947, the oldest of 4 children of Sarah and Julius Weinberger. As a youngster Jeff loved sports & excelled in music, winning scholarships as a nationally recognized young cellist. His life changed abruptly at age 13 when his mother was diagnosed with cancer. He got a hardship drivers license to shuttle her to chemo treatments until her death 3 years later, while also helping to raise his younger brothers and sister. After graduating from Thomas Jefferson High School, he enrolled at The University of Texas at Austin as a pre-med major and became an active member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. Always fascinated by science, he convinced a nurse to train him as a surgical tech and was eventually asked to work the trauma cases at Brackenridge Hospital.

His medical ambitions got sidelined when what began as a brief trip to England ignited his passion for food and ultimately led to a 3-year adventure in Europe studying old school culinary arts. Upon his return to Dallas, he opened his first restaurant, Blooms, a casual European fine dining establishment in a remodeled home in an underserved area of town. Next came his namesake restaurant in the Clarksville area of Austin: Jeffrey's Restaurant. At Jeffrey's, he established a culture of casual but fine dining without pretense and without a tuxedo-clad waiter hovering over one's shoulder. It would not be unusual to see diners at one table dressed in elegant cocktail attire while those at an adjoining table, eating the same menu in jeans and t-shirts. Jeff went on to found several more notable restaurants and bars in Austin, including Clarksville Café, Tortugas, Wiley's, Shoreline Grill, and Cipollina. A committed conservationist, he made Shoreline Grill one of the first restaurants in the region to follow sustainable seafood practices by adhering to the Monterrey Bay Seafood Watch.

Through his businesses, Jeff made a significant contribution to the development of Austin's culinary scene. Even more than his success as an entrepreneur in a challenging business, what set him apart was his way of treating others in the industry. Jeff was the individual who would always take care of others regardless of their background or position, whether that meant helping with medical bills, emotional support, housing, or gifts for their children. Any charity in the city could count on one of his restaurants to donate meals, certificates, or a helping hand, as when at Thanksgiving of every year, Shoreline Grill would cook 100 turkeys for the city's homeless. In 50 years of business, he acquired no enemies.

In his 43rd year, he met the love of his life: a graduate student at The University of Texas and a witty force of nature named Tina Rauch. Tina has been his constant companion for the last 31 years, and they went on to have two fine sons to whom Jeff was endlessly devoted: Sam, a U.T. graduate who works in digital marketing, and Steve, a recent graduate of The University of Texas School of Law.

Jeff Weinberger was a person of enormous decency and kindness, a gentle soul with an intense intellectual curiosity who treated every person he met with warmth, interest, and respect. He searched with all his heart for the good in others and manifested authenticity and integrity every day of his life. So many people carry Jeff in their heart, in no small part because we knew he also carried us in his. He reached out with the whole of his spirit, and we will try to hold onto his warmth. To pass along what he taught and what he lived through his walk. To remember Jeff Weinberger's life as a testament to all that is good on this earth.

After a long illness fought with tremendous grit, Jeff passed away peacefully on the afternoon of September 22nd, 2021. He was laid to rest at a small private ceremony two days later.

There will be a larger celebration of life in the spring. In addition to his wife and sons, Jeff is survived by his brother Allan Weinberger, sister Tina and her husband Michael Heffernan, nephews Scott Heffernan and Isaac Weinberger, and dear family Annie, Nic, and Madison.

Donations in Jeff's memory may be made to National Liver Foundation, Magen David Adom or Community Assistance for Refugees - Austin (CARE-Austin)

Condolences and fond memories are welcome on Jeff's tribute page at AustinNaturalFunerals.com

https://www.statesman.com/obituaries/p0149458

Edited by DalTxHornFan

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You can get the exact same recipe for those enchiladas if you go to Maudie's and get the enchiladas Josie. No kidding. They bought the recipe from Jorge before he passed away.  I've had both on several hundred occasions.

I guess I’m driving to Austin today

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You can get the exact same recipe for those enchiladas if you go to Maudie's and get the enchiladas Josie. No kidding. They bought the recipe from Jorge before he passed away.  I've had both on several hundred occasions.

Yup.  I had 'em last night.  Seemed right in line with what I used to get at Jorge's.

image.png.a4933f21b8611d0ebca4bb6ad3869890.png

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

What about that crappy ol’ day care on Jefferson? What’s going in there?

Torn down for residential remodel.

Lots of changes to that (my) neighborhood. The Burger King will be a 3-story office building. And worst of all, the Randall’s on 35th is closing in a month to make way for another mixed-use residential complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Cap33 said:

And worst of all, the Randall’s on 35th is closing in a month to make way for another mixed-use residential complex.

That intersection is fucked. On the other hand, the Brykerwood vet clinic has a bunch more potential clients to overcharge. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

On the other hand, the Brykerwood vet clinic has a bunch more potential clients to overcharge. 

I have a soft spot for those people.  They nursed my basset hound back from the brink of death after he headed south following a heartworm treatment.  In fact, someone who worked at the art gallery next door started bringing him some kind of soft oat & chicken gruel because they would see him getting "walked" daily and getting more and more emaciated.  The vets couldn't get him to eat, but that nice person said they had a recipe that no dog could resist . . . and yup, it worked.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1