Jump to content

Top Date Night Spots


Recommended Posts

You cannot go wrong with any of the following:  Justine's, Launderette, Musashino, Chicon, Uchiko, or Barley Swine.  

OP, I would say Dai Due is a cool restaurant, but may not be ideal for dates.  The food is good (especially if you like wild game), but the tables are sometimes placed really close together.   I have the same issue with Lenoir (which has outstanding food).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Yeah I actually really love that place.  My birthday is in December and we often go there to celebrate.  It's a nice place to go when the weather outside is getting cold/crisp.  Getting a seat by the hearth, with all the candle light, is really cozy.  

It's not in a trendy downtown space, but there's a lot to be said for having a great interior, really good food, near location to those in the NW, and easy parking.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

These are two of our faves

Kome - IMO the best sushi spot in town 

Salty Sow - Good food plus they have a cocktail called the little larry .  Its a margarita with a shot of grand marnier on top.  Guaranteed to drop ze panties. 

 

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy
Iz stuipod
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

These are two of our faves

Kome - IMO the best sushi spot in town 

Salty Sow - Good food plus they have a cocktail called the little larry .  Its a margarita with a shot of grand marnier on top.  Guaranteed to drop ze panties. 

 

Good name for a cocktail.

Ill agree on Siena and Fonda. Both still got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 12:09 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

These are two of our faves

Kome - IMO the best sushi spot in town 

Salty Sow - Good food plus they have a cocktail called the little larry .  Its a margarita with a shot of grand marnier on top.  Guaranteed to drop ze panties. 

 

Really like Kome.

Maybe a bias against new American cuisine but thought Salty Sow is just ok/ over-hyped for amount of love it gets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 8:15 AM, Washpark said:

I was told the following spots

https://olamaieaustin.com/

https://www.daidue.com/

 

others?

Dai Due is not a good date night spot.  Food is great, but unless you get one of the very few booths or the 2 outside tables that are well positioned, it's way too loud and crowded.  The bistro style tables are poorly placed and you just look at a counter.  It's perfect for lunch, not great for dinner.  And there's nowhere to walk to afterwards for a cocktail or music, except Haymaker and that's not a great datenight bar (though it is my campus retreat when I'm working on campus).  Olamaie is a wonderful date spot for women.  Food is wonderful.  You can walk to Dive which isn't great, but it's a good enough spot.  Or you can fancy it up a bit and have an after-dinner drink at Mansion and Judge's Hill on their terrace.  That's a nice date night.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's your preference-Italian, French, Continental, Seafood, Fusion, Sushi?   There are superlative restaurants that aren't ideal for a quiet date.  There are quiet date spots that are good, but not necessarily superlative cuisine.  

Edited by Lobo
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What's your preference-Italian, French, Continental, Seafood, Fusion, Sushi?   There are superlative restaurants that aren't ideal for a quiet date.  There are quiet date spots that are good, but not necessarily superlative cuisine.  

As long as it isn't American, Italian, or Fusion. Prefer unique but will weigh more to ambiance  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly do you mean by "downtown?"  Is it specific, like-- south of 15th, north of the river, and between I35 and Lamar?  Or, is something broader acceptable? Is there an event you're planning around?  Or you just don't want it to be in the burbs?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2018 at 3:02 PM, Lobo said:

Dai Due is not a good date night spot.  Food is great, but unless you get one of the very few booths or the 2 outside tables that are well positioned, it's way too loud and crowded.  The bistro style tables are poorly placed and you just look at a counter.  It's perfect for lunch, not great for dinner.  And there's nowhere to walk to afterwards for a cocktail or music, except Haymaker and that's not a great datenight bar (though it is my campus retreat when I'm working on campus).  Olamaie is a wonderful date spot for women.  Food is wonderful.  You can walk to Dive which isn't great, but it's a good enough spot.  Or you can fancy it up a bit and have an after-dinner drink at Mansion and Judge's Hill on their terrace.  That's a nice date night.  

I went to Dai Due for the first time a few weeks back. It wasn't crowed and I got a booth - so there is that. I thought it was a great date night spot. We had a blast. There is a great mezcal bar on top of Mi Madres to walk to as well. 

I will say this. That fucking pork chop they dai due is out of this fucking world good. I haven't made a pork chop since and I don't know when I ever will again. 

Edited by staboner
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you got a booth, then good on you. And much kudos for having a date cool enough to trust you to go above a taco dive for post dinner cocktails.  I love that spot as well.  I was just trying to cast a wide net and that If you get a bistro table, which I mentioned in detail, it wasn’t a great conversation spot.  That’s all, otherwise I love dai due.  And you did manage to broadcast one of my

favorote hidden bars of AUSTIN.  Damn you! ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, Lobo said:

If you got a booth, then good on you. And much kudos for having a date cool enough to trust you to go above a taco dive for post dinner cocktails.  I love that spot as well.  I was just trying to cast a wide net and that If you get a bistro table, which I mentioned in detail, it wasn’t a great conversation spot.  That’s all, otherwise I love dai due.  And you did manage to broadcast one of my

favorote hidden bars of AUSTIN.  Damn you! ;)

haha. yeah its a cool bar. the mezcal negroni is tasty 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, Lobo said:

If you got a booth, then good on you. And much kudos for having a date cool enough to trust you to go above a taco dive for post dinner cocktails.  I love that spot as well.  I was just trying to cast a wide net and that If you get a bistro table, which I mentioned in detail, it wasn’t a great conversation spot.  That’s all, otherwise I love dai due.  And you did manage to broadcast one of my

favorote hidden bars of AUSTIN.  Damn you! ;)

Ha - I had no idea there was a bar up there. Not hidden anymore!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hornian said:

What is the best tasting menu in Austin?

Just went to Wink and did their tasting menu and it was good - but not as great as some other places I’ve been in other cities. 

And I would consider omasake a tasting menu, so sushi counts.

Austin tasting menus are not going to compare to the places in NY and SF. 

Having said that I think Barely Swine is the besting tasting menu in Austin right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hornian said:

What is the best tasting menu in Austin?

Just went to Wink and did their tasting menu and it was good - but not as great as some other places I’ve been in other cities. 

And I would consider omasake a tasting menu, so sushi counts.

Uchiko, Barley Swine, Chez Nous (less tasting menu than four course (add cheese course), but by far best bang for the buck

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Uchiko, Barley Swine, Chez Nous (less tasting menu than four course (add cheese course), but by far best bang for the buck

Agree, Barley Swine and Uchiko are great, and I like JS's inclusion of Chez Nous's courses in this category, that's an underrated restaurant IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 10:00 AM, Lobo said:

Otoko also provides a great tasting menu experience with a cool date spot (although it kinda depends on whom you are seating with).  And Water Trade is a cool spot for before or after.  

This is what we booked - if any surly-sters want to join, let me know and I'll tell you the date and time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, Washpark said:

Really like Kome.

Maybe a bias against new American cuisine but thought Salty Sow is just ok/ over-hyped for amount of love it gets. 

Went to Salty Sow for the first time last night. Thought it was decent, somewhat limited menu and with good drinks, the beignets and homemade ice cream might have been the best part of the meal. If we go back it may be just for the  happy hour menu.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 4:07 PM, utee94 said:

Agree, Barley Swine and Uchiko are great, and I like JS's inclusion of Chez Nous's courses in this category, that's an underrated restaurant IMO.

Love me some Chez Nous. Been maybe 20 or 30 times over the last 20 years. Its a family tradition and they treat us nicely.

Chez Nous was a bit stagnant I would say - maybe 3 years back, but they revamped the menu a bit and updated some shit just a tad. It helps. The menu is now very nice and some stuff not on the regular menu is very fun. I would highly recommend it now if you haven't been in a few years and/or got hooked more on Justine's 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 10:00 AM, Lobo said:

Otoko also provides a great tasting menu experience with a cool date spot (although it kinda depends on whom you are seating with).  And Water Trade is a cool spot for before or after.  

 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:41 PM, hornian said:

This is what we booked - if any surly-sters want to join, let me know and I'll tell you the date and time.

So we went to Otoko the 1st week of January. I didn't realize that, although there are 12 seats, they only seat 4 per reservation. Now I know what you meant that "it depends on whom you are seating with."

Luckily, the couple seated with us was good dinner company, and the food, and service, was awesome. 

Definitely recommend for a great date - and since it depends on the company, I'm happy to offer my services as dining companion. 

Edited by hornian
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...