Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

On 11/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, atomheartbevo said:
Would be awesome if he depresses turnout for Abbott over pissed-off MAGA types whose lawn mowing jobs are threatened by foreign invaders.

Pretty sure that's a given at this point. Maybe not for that specific reason, but he's surely turned plenty of MAGAs against Abbott. Probably not enough to make a difference, but one can always dream

Edited by SquishMitten

1 hour ago, ONE YARD said:

what’s worse is I fear we won’t get the down ballet pump this time around. 

What you got in mind, a little Swan Lake maybe some Sleeping Beauty?  Personally, with it being the holiday season and the painful state of things I find The Nutcracker oddly appropriate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

https://redstate.com/sister-toldjah/2021/11/22/beto-orourke-gets-brutalized-in-hypothetical-polling-matchup-against-matthew-mcconaughey-n480292

So, remember when I said Dems should have begged Mcconaughey to get in the race?  He’s up something like 7 on Abbott in a head to head (and 22 on Beto in a head to head). 
I’ve been talking about him as a legit candidate for high political office since I heard him talking about his book. Then I heard him on Rogan (I don’t listen to Rogan but I had a friend send me the link and basically beg me to and I told her I would and I like MM so whatever). 
he’s not had any attack ads against him and I’m not 100% positive he would beat Hot wheels, but I’ve always suspected he would and this polling shows that. 
I always figured he’d shit all over a guy like Beto and there is no doubt in my mind he would. 
Dems should run him against someone as fringe left as they can and let him spend the primary triangulating and practicing. It would be a fascinating race. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dems should run him against someone as fringe left as they can and let him spend the primary triangulating and practicing. It would be a fascinating race. 

Dude, now you're just being obtuse.

These two right in a row, though. What's lil Don gonna do to the grid, shoot it and put it out of its misery?

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He retweets this woman a lot.

Red flag laws could have stopped some of the mass murders that the anti-gun nuts use to increase pressure on gun owners....

But then you couldn't fundraise off of that.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Go after him on ERCOT.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

These two right in a row, though. What's lil Don gonna do to the grid, shoot it and put it out of its misery?

Yeah, he hasn't posted anything on cursory glance at his media.

This is his site.

https://donhuffines.com/issues#power-grid

Texas once had a world-class, nationally competitive power grid, but the carelessness of current leadership has ruined it.

As governor, I will…

Eliminate state subsidies to unreliable renewable energy

Require renewable generators, like other generators, to pay for the cost of acquiring ancillary electricity when they fail to supply their promised electricity to the grid

Establish a grid security commission made of Texas entities such as the Texas Division of Emergency Management, State Office of Risk Management, Texas Military Department, Department of Information Resources, and ERCOT

Make the Texas Renewable Energy Credit program voluntary

Texas has become too reliant on provenly unreliable green energy sources, such as wind. During the winter storm of February 2021, half of Texas’ wind turbines froze. This caused their share of electricity production to plunge from 42 percent to 8 percent. Over four million Texas families were left without power in dangerously freezing temperatures. This failure, in addition to other disruptions, resulted in billions of economic damage and  150 deaths.

Several months after the storm, Gov. Greg Abbott said new reforms “fixed all the flaws” that caused the widespread outages. But just one week later, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued a power conservation alert urging Texans to limit their electricity use because power demands outpaced supplies. During the following days, Texas families experienced power outages during 95+ degree heat. 

It is clear that current leadership is not capable of fixing the problem. We cannot allow this power grid crisis to continue to be improperly addressed when countless lives are at stake. 

Look, I'm not going to get drawn into your attempts to calculate the curves I throw.  Calling Abbott out on his handling of our Winter Vertex is the smart move by both Huffines and O'Rourke...who by the way is the Hypotenuse of Texas politics.  

I forget how the rest of my post goes, but Huffines' wife is a Rhombus. 

He's bashing wind even though that was not determined to be the primary failure of the system? Not very efficient.

An easy way to fix the wind issue is to require all turbines in the state to be winterized to withstand sustained freezing temperatures, you know, like how everyone in Europe does it. But on the other hand, he won't have a convenient green scapegoat when it happens again.

You could even have the state pay for half the cost by sharing it with customers via a surcharge. Oh wait! They are already doing that, but instead of getting useful infrastructure upgrades, we are all paying off the billions of losses of for-profit utility companies and getting nothing in return! Yay Republicanism!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

An easy way to fix the wind issue is to require all turbines in the state to be winterized to withstand sustained freezing temperatures, you know, like how everyone in Europe does it. But on the other hand, he won't have a convenient green scapegoat when it happens again.

You could even have the state pay for half the cost by sharing it with customers via a surcharge. Oh wait! They are already doing that, but instead of getting useful infrastructure upgrades, we are all paying off the billions of losses of for-profit utility companies and getting nothing in return! Yay Republicanism!

Convenient green scapegoat is the truth.  My uncle still brings up the windmills.  I call him Don Quixote when he does it.

• Haha 1

Abbott just officially filed for re-election with the new Secretary of State.

Has Huffines emerged from the bridge he lives under to officially file already?  In all his rants, I can't tell.  Governor Mango.  Has a nice ring to it.