Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

On 1/2/2022 at 5:01 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Did anybody see the Huffines commercial where he says FL is beating us because they won a Super Bowl and when he is governor of TX he will stop the invasion at our border and the Dallas Cowboys will win another ring?  I can’t believe people see that and think to themselves, “yeah, that guy is who I want running things”. 

I can't believe this guy has someone on his staff who said, "I've great a great idea for a commercial involving the Cowboys". And that some buffoon actually approved it.

About the most idiotic and laughable thing you can imagine.

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I feel confident in saying that he's probably never field-dressed a deer in his life.

What a cute little jacket. You can tell that it's brand-new and never been worn before.

I think they're in shock because of all the CRT being shoved down their throats.  

I'm afraid to tell Dan Patrick there's nothing wrong with having libraries have optional checkout materials like Chaucer, Rabelais, and Balzac.  Because he'll jump up in excitement to find that library.  And I have to tell him, "Not Ballsack, Balzac...the author."  Then he gets sad and to cheer him up, I remind him it's from "The Music Man" because Dan loves musical theater when he's not fixing up old pickup trucks of course. 

Huffines saying prayer in school is his objective, and as @atomheartbevo points out, there is already an allowance for that. Pre-pandemic when I was an in person volunteer with the schools, the moment of silence was every morning on the various campuses and I assume it still is.

Huffines is not stating it, but someone needs to be quite up front with him because he likely means approved prayer and that needs to be made explicit. As in, teachers and staff can lead prayer and given this is Texas, that would predominately be a Christian prayer to a Christian God. The Muslim teachers on the campuses where I volunteer? Can you imagine the uproar that would cause if one were to lead a prayer in a district that is 85% white and a very low percentage of non Christian, or that those teachers might feel unable to also express their 'right to prayer'?

And what about adherents of Om Banna? Would a student be allowed to burn incense while praying?

I received a text from a Huffines minion this weekend and replied that he needs to run 3rd party because the Republican party doesn't represent Texas.  Which is true, but not the way they thought I meant it.  The reply came that they agreed, but the Republican machine is just too big to fight and they need it to win.  Will be interesting to see what happens when Abbott wins the primary.

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Huffines saying prayer in school is his objective, and as @atomheartbevo points out, there is already an allowance for that. Pre-pandemic when I was an in person volunteer with the schools, the moment of silence was every morning on the various campuses and I assume it still is.

Huffines is not stating it, but someone needs to be quite up front with him because he likely means approved prayer and that needs to be made explicit. As in, teachers and staff can lead prayer and given this is Texas, that would predominately be a Christian prayer to a Christian God. The Muslim teachers on the campuses where I volunteer? Can you imagine the uproar that would cause if one were to lead a prayer in a district that is 85% white and a very low percentage of non Christian, or that those teachers might feel unable to also express their 'right to prayer'?

And what about adherents of Om Banna? Would a student be allowed to burn incense while praying?

Yeah, I think he and every parents knows about the minute or two of silence in the morning in each public school.  I think he wants like full-on mega church chanting prayers led by the teachers.  With kids speaking in tongues and passing out in the aisles.  I'm gonna go into school to volunteer with another dad dressed up as the blues brothers when they go to James Brown's church.  

One could easily bait Huffines, "Uh Mr. Huffines, our school which granted is mostly WASPs, has 5% Jewish and 15% Asian students.  They can't be expected to join in on mass Christian prayer requirements." 

$50 and my vote says Huffines replies, "15% Asian, eh?  Welp, I've seen a Korean Baptist church up in Dallas so I know they exist." 

You could easily get him to conflate all Asians as one group and also think that because a few were converted a long time ago, he could get the rest to do so through school propaganda.  I know his voting base wouldn't give a shit, but I just want to get all the stupid on the table ahead of time.  I made that mistake with Abbott in the past.  I thought him too socially conservative for my tastes.  But I found him to be measured, guided by law and reason, and a decent guy.  And I think he still is, but he's joined  the stupid race all-in.  I didn't realize such a smart guy could be baited by the last two years of Trumpism and now Huffines.  So I know the MAGA base is gonna vote in Texas how they vote no matter what the candidates say or do.  But I just want the rest of Texas to get a sense of the stupidity that awaits us in droves.

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It is.  My kid doodles during  the moment of silence.

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Huffines is not stating it, but someone needs to be quite up front with him because he likely means approved prayer and that needs to be made explicit. As in, teachers and staff can lead prayer and given this is Texas, that would predominately be a Christian prayer to a Christian God.

Let's break that down farther.

Given that this is Texas, Catholics are the largest religious/Christian group in Texas.  

I'm betting Huffines has not thought about that.

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It is.  My kid doodles during  the moment of silence.

Let's break that down farther.

Given that this is Texas, Catholics are the largest religious/Christian group in Texas.  

I'm betting Huffines has not thought about that.

Isn't Huffines Catholic? For some reason I thought he was.

Edit: here is where what I'm talking about: https://www.peoplenewspapers.com/2021/04/30/despite-online-kerfuffle-few-protest-at-holy-trinity/

Hairston, the daughter of former GOP state Sen. Don Huffines, went on at least two podcasts to talk about being approached by the Rev. Milton Ryan, the pastor of the Uptown Dallas parish, when she went to 5 p.m. Mass with her 1-year-old child.

Perhaps he is a dominionist?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think he wants like full-on mega church chanting prayers led by the teachers.  With kids speaking in tongues and passing out in the aisles.  I'm gonna go into school to volunteer with another dad dressed up as the blues brothers when they go to James Brown's church.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Goofyboy said:

Abbott is not a decent guy. He’s a fucking Bible thumping authoritarian. Fuck him.

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Edit: here is where what I'm talking about: https://www.peoplenewspapers.com/2021/04/30/despite-online-kerfuffle-few-protest-at-holy-trinity/

Both wake up and don whatever religious dogma will get them the most attention that day.  They have no cores, so therefore no core beliefs other than can seize control of the state.  If they need to convince people some god deigned that, then so be it.  Good enough for the Sun King, good enough for the Rep. buffoonery.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Oh, if Huffines is Catholic, that's even better.

The Baptists are going to love a Catholic Governor mandating school prayer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Two weird things about that BBQ video.  One...what the fuck is a Sous Chef at a BBQ joint?  I mean, I know that term...but I've never heard it associated with BBQ pits.

And he called it "Franklin's" when referring to the name of the restaurant.  If you wanna say "Franklin's brisket is the best" or "Franklin's line was so long today"...that's okay...but the restaurant is not called "Franklin's."  It's not like he's an out-of-town tourist that doesn't know any better, he was obviously prepped for this little video.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And he called it "Franklin's" when referring to the name of the restaurant.  If you wanna say "Franklin's brisket is the best" or "Franklin's line was so long today"...that's okay...but the restaurant is not called "Franklin's."  It's not like he's an out-of-town tourist that doesn't know any better, he was obviously prepped for this little video.  

This was what I immediately noticed and then when got to the sauce, I couldn't take it anymore.

I received a text from a Huffines minion this weekend and replied that he needs to run 3rd party because the Republican party doesn't represent Texas.  Which is true, but not the way they thought I meant it.  The reply came that they agreed, but the Republican machine is just too big to fight and they need it to win.  Will be interesting to see what happens when Abbott wins the primary.

For the record, as long as Texas keeps voting decisively Republican, they do in fact represent Texas. We need to own that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

For the record, as long as Texas keeps voting decisively Republican, they do in fact represent Texas. We need to own that.

correct. many of us making plans to leave (or having already left) have accepted this. 

don't throw anything...but an easy case could be made that aggy is more representative of Texas than UT. i've always been amused at how many posters here don't see that irony.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Until very recently, Texas has had the lowest voter engagement in the country. It’s not that our majority minority state is decidedly red, it’s that those who historically turn out to vote, are.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Empower Texans leader, Aggie, and Huffines/West fluffer

Seeing "Aggie" tells you everything you need to know in just one word.

I bet he could sell you some horse paste.  And tell you that aggy is just a year or two away from a college football championship.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It's amazing that this is the best the Democratic Party can muster. 

Democrats in Texas aren't what they used to be, whether it was Ann Richards or Rick Perry (he did a fairly competent job of running Al Gore's campaign in Texas in '88).

They are pretty much Charlie Brown.

charlie-brown-fail.gif

Edited by atomheartbevo