Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

9 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I hope he and Dowd go really negative.  There is ground to be made there if they talk more about how Texas is near the bottom of a lot of important metrics, ERCOT and less about guns and voting rights.  While most of Texas may be pro life, even the staunchest R's don't like the idea of citizens getting bounties for turning people in.  It's a fools errand, but I would enjoy seeing them punch those guys in the face.

TangibleCostlyAmericanlobster-max-1mb.gi

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I hope he and Dowd go really negative.  There is ground to be made there if they talk more about how Texas is near the bottom of a lot of important metrics, ERCOT and less about guns and voting rights.  While most of Texas may be pro life, even the staunchest R's don't like the idea of citizens getting bounties for turning people in.  It's a fools errand, but I would enjoy seeing them punch those guys in the face.

I don’t know anything about Dowd but if you’ve been following Beto, he’s a LOT more salty and has been absolutely relentless and savage in calling out Abbott.

I predict we’ll see a lot more Spicy Beto.

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Beto has no chance at >45% of the vote unless a 3rd candidate outflanks Abbott to the right.

Third party fascist does fuck all to increase Beto's percentage.  The hope is said fascist draws enough away from Hot Wheels that Beto's 40% is enough to get the W.

Won't happen, but that's the hope.

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Third party fascist does fuck all to increase Beto's percentage.  The hope is said fascist draws enough away from Hot Wheels that Beto's 40% is enough to get the W.

Won't happen, but that's the hope.

Yes, I believe that is the preferred play.  Split the Rs.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump isn't on the ticket (bad for Abbott)

Yes, but conceptually Biden is on the ticket. 

This next election in Texas will be just as much a backlash against Joe Biden and his tyrannical federal government that makes us get vaccines and allows brown-skinned criminals to freely cross our borders to rape our Texas women and steal our jobs.  And there's no Trump to galvanize the Democrats, along with the moderate Republicans who hated that fucker and voted D in 2020.  The Republican candidate -- whether Abbott or Huffines -- will coast to victory by at least 12 points. 

Sorry for ruining your Black Panther party. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This next election in Texas will be just as much a backlash against Joe Biden and his tyrannical federal government that makes us get vaccines and allows brown-skinned criminals to freely cross our borders to rape our Texas women and steal our jobs.  And there's no Trump to galvanize the Democrats, along with the moderate Republicans who hated that fucker and voted D in 2020.  The Republican candidate -- whether Abbott or Huffines -- will coast to victory by at least 12 points. 

This is our concern dude.  Trump exists in their minds and that is all that matters.  Even after he's dead (which many won't believe), they will be voting to honor the orange godking and smite the heathen Ds.  We are fucking broken.

So did Abbott ask for permission from the federally run CBP to seize the narcotics or did Biden's CBP fail Abbott on this operation?  I am so confused Don.  I feel like how you must feel after being wiped down with a fine shammy.  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So did Abbott ask for permission from the federally run CBP to seize the narcotics or did Biden's CBP fail Abbott on this operation?  I am so confused Don.  I feel like how you must feel after being wiped down with a fine shammy.  

Right.  Explain it to me like I'm 4, use crayons if necessary.  What exactly happened here and what exactly would you have done differently in this situation where the federally run CBP seized a metric fuckton of narcotics at the border?

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know just the man who is not afraid to protect Texas.

Says Feds can't protect border.  Uses as "evidence" notice of Feds protecting border. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
Looks like I was beaten to the punch. Oh well. Carry on.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Right.  Explain it to me like I'm 4, use crayons if necessary.  What exactly happened here and what exactly would you have done differently in this situation where the federally run CBP seized a metric fuckton of narcotics at the border?

He'd have had the DPS and the Texas BY GOD National Militia take care of it.  

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

South Austin ain't wrong.

The GQP is consistent and relentless in their messaging.  Sure, it's stupid messaging.  But it's perfect for stupid voters.  It works.  The things we have to worry about aren't the things that actually affect all of our lives (an epic fail of an electric grid system, which WILL fail again, shitty education, crumbling infrastructure, and the like).  Nope, it's tattooed MS-13 types coming to kill us in our suburban home in Plano and shit.  It works.  Because dog whistles are the best whistles.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I won't fault him for trying to do something, but looking at this list...it's got a massive, glaring omission.  

People that produce concerts and festivals.  

On 11/15/2021 at 10:32 AM, Brisketexan said:

Paxton isn't going anywhere.  The Chair of the UT board of regents is out fundraising for him, quite successfully.  Paxton will be re-elected, and UT leadership will help make it so.

Enjoy that lovely tidbit.

Texas is becoming SEC in more ways than one.

• Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

South Austin ain't wrong.

The GQP is consistent and relentless in their messaging.  Sure, it's stupid messaging.  But it's perfect for stupid voters.  It works.  The things we have to worry about aren't the things that actually affect all of our lives (an epic fail of an electric grid system, which WILL fail again, shitty education, crumbling infrastructure, and the like).  Nope, it's tattooed MS-13 types coming to kill us in our suburban home in Plano and shit.  It works.  Because dog whistles are the best whistles.

Y'all are fixated on Trumpkins in Texas.  Dems will never pull them over to their side and it's foolish to even consider the possibility.  There's not even a guarantee they will show up in '22 without Trump on the ballot - a shit-ton of them were dissatisfied/disaffected when it came to politics, and a deep dive into their voting histories proved that, and Trump hasn't exactly been criss-crossing Texas and railing on twitter to rile them up.

There are plenty of Texans who are not full-on Trumpanzee (which Ted Cruz found out about in 2018), and they are not concerned about MS-13 or getting their lawn mowing jobs stolen by Ecuadorians.  Younger parents in particular are pissed about what happened last February.  They are pissed that the Republicans were fucking around with COVID.

Trump beat Hillary by 9 points, and only beat Biden by 5.5 points.  

With Trump campaigning for him, Cruz only won by 2.6 points over Beto "I'M GONNA TAKE YOUR GUNS" O'Rourke.

You're also ignoring something else:  Abbott is veering hard-fucking-right, knowing that it's pissing off plenty of moderates and independents.

It's easy to say that it's simply about 2024 and trying to win Daddy Trump's approval, but I also think Abbott is scared shitless of either Trumpkins staying home, or worse, Huffines making a play in the general.

Huffines doesn't make a play for the general election if he's in the low single-digits, but if he comes out of the primary with 20% or 30%, there's a chance he buys into what he's selling about Abbott being the anti-Republican and runs in the general.  He knows plenty of Democrats might just crossover in the (R) primary and fuck with Abbott as well, which is going to bother him - Huffines is a True Believer.

I've been told his media presence is ramping up in the next month or two, so we'll probably see Abbott try to out-Trump himself.

Whatever your view, it's undeniable that something has crawled up Abbott's ass and he's scared of something.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Y'all are fixated on Trumpkins in Texas.  Dems will never pull them over to their side and it's foolish to even consider the possibility.  There's not even a guarantee they will show up in '22 without Trump on the ballot - a shit-ton of them were dissatisfied/disaffected when it came to politics, and a deep dive into their voting histories proved that, and Trump hasn't exactly been criss-crossing Texas and railing on twitter to rile them up.

There are plenty of Texans who are not full-on Trumpanzee (which Ted Cruz found out about in 2018), and they are not concerned about MS-13 or getting their lawn mowing jobs stolen by Ecuadorians.  Younger parents in particular are pissed about what happened last February.  They are pissed that the Republicans were fucking around with COVID.

With Trump campaigning for him, Cruz only won by 2.6 points over Beto "I'M GONNA TAKE YOUR GUNS" O'Rourke.

Man.....you keep thinking that the worm is turning in Texas.  Nope.  The GQP says enough for everyone - they appeal to the nutbar base, but they also say broad platitudes that let the less engaged traditional Repub voters stay in the fold.

Texas remains a 5-8 point GQP state.  If Abbott wins by a margin less than 54-46, I'd consider that a big step forward for Texas dems.  

You can Charlie Brown and the football wish this shit as long as you like, but Lucy ain't going anywhere any time soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

You're also ignoring something else:  Abbott is veering hard-fucking-right, knowing that it's pissing off plenty of moderates and independents.

It's easy to say that it's simply about 2024 and trying to win Daddy Trump's approval, but I also think Abbott is scared shitless of either Trumpkins staying home, or worse, Huffines making a play in the general.

Huffines doesn't make a play for the general election if he's in the low single-digits, but if he comes out of the primary with 20% or 30%, there's a chance he buys into what he's selling about Abbott being the anti-Republican and runs in the general.  He knows plenty of Democrats might just crossover in the (R) primary and fuck with Abbott as well, which is going to bother him - Huffines is a True Believer.

I've been told his media presence is ramping up in the next month or two, so we'll probably see Abbott try to out-Trump himself.

Whatever your view, it's undeniable that something has crawled up Abbott's ass and he's scared of something.

I think you’re way exaggerating how much the moderate/independent skewed Texans care about the past performance of the governor.  All that will matter next November is R or D and the electorate is FAR more animated over cultural issues.    

That said, if I were Beto I’d hit safety and education hard and pray for Huffhines to crack the GOP support in a more durable way.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay, have fun at Beto's election night party.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Depends. Not if he spends a disproportionate amount of his time in the Valley.

Do you remember how Trump fared in the Valley?  I'm not saying there will be as many Abbott or Huffines supporters down there, but the Valley is not as dyed in blue as people think.

Texas Tribune: Voters in the historically Democratic stronghold of South Texas are left wondering whether this was simply a strange election during an unusual year or a sign of a profound political realignment in the region.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Do you remember how Trump fared in the Valley?  I'm not saying there will be as many Abbott or Huffines supporters down there, but the Valley is not as dyed in blue as people think.

Texas Tribune: Voters in the historically Democratic stronghold of South Texas are left wondering whether this was simply a strange election during an unusual year or a sign of a profound political realignment in the region.

That’s why he needs to spend a disproportionate amount of his time in the Valley.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know just the man who is not afraid to protect Texas.

In addition to his glossing over the agency responsible for seizing the contraband, Huffines saying he's going to protect the border with Mexico should make one pause given the recent arrest of the Texas National Guard member and some of the problems the military (at the federal and state levels) has with radicalization.

So, does Don Huffines plan on simply taking over the business as a transnational criminal organization run by the state or is he thinking of shooting on sight like the fellow they just arrested in the Austin synagogue fire wanted to do? Or is he going to work out an extortion scheme?

Wait, so now CRT isn't being used to shame white students but rather to inhibit Asians in Texas from receiving monoclonal antibodies?

And I can only assume, Mr. Huffines, that these monoclonal antibody treatments can only be effectively administered at the Texas-Mexico border by a robust force posture, lest the illegals continue to exploit CRT in schools and choke off the supply of said monoclonal antibody treatments.  Of course, I'm just typing random and bizarre shit but am 85% sure you'll be making some similar claim before Christmas.  

I'd ask you "What color is the sky in your world?"...but you're a demonic troll and live underground and I can't fault you for not knowing.  

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/meet-deirdre-gilbert-the-other-democrat-running-for-texas-governor/

Deirdre Gilbert, who lives in Fort Bend County, launched her own campaign this summer for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, an announcement met with far less fanfare than O’Rourke’s. The Houston native has never held elected office nor possesses the statewide name recognition or fundraising firepower that the former El Paso congressman has upon entering the race. However, she’d like to defy what some might see as a long-shot bid to become the first Black woman to serve as governor of Texas — or any other state in the U.S.

When asked further about the COVID-19 vaccine, Gilbert would not share if she’s vaccinated, saying that information is too private to divulge. She also said it’s “a question that I don’t like to answer.” 

“Right now, I think asking people that [question] really starts something between two people. You know, it’s a fight, and I’ve seen it where somebody might say they do or somebody may say they don’t, and that’s a dangerous situation to put somebody in,” Gilbert said. 

“Either I’m going to be attacked because I didn’t say something, or I’m going to be attacked because I did say something,” she added. “What we have to understand, as the governor of the state of Texas, that I work for all people, not just people that have been, what, vaccinated or not vaccinated, but as a governor, we should be trying to figure out how to treat and help both sides of the fence, not just one.”

Before announcing her candidacy for governor, Gilbert had experience owning her own business and running a nonprofit. She owned a janitorial services business before she had a daughter with special needs. Gilbert said she then spent 26 years as a teacher. She later created the National Medical Malpractice Advocacy Association after her daughter died from what she called “medical error.” That tragedy coupled with the inability to hold a doctor accountable, she said, also made her realize how important it is to have the right people in positions of power.

Gilbert also explained the other issues she’ll champion in her campaign include expanding health care, addressing the state’s education system and simply vying for visibility for her candidacy. She said she will keep reminding people that O’Rourke is not the only Democratic candidate in the race even though he’s garnered much more attention than she has at this point. 

“Put me out there to say we got another candidate, and that’s all I’m looking for. We have another candidate that’s running for governor of the state of Texas, and her name is Deirdre Gilbert,” she said.

She doesn't understand how to run for Governor - you're supposed to trash the shit out of your opponents.