Jump to content
Machinator

US Supreme Court overturns federal ban on sports betting

Recommended Posts

About damn time !!!

But you can bet (no pun) we will not see that in Texas as long as the politicians keep using the Bible as the official state law of the land.

That and not being able to buy beer before noon on Sunday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not about the bible, it’s about cash. They have been getting paid off by the casinos from other states to not allow gaming in Texas. I’m not anticipating any movement on this in Texas for awhile, if at all.

 

Winstar in OK will light it up pretty quick though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the Bible say about lotteries?

It’s a good SCOTUS decision and, ideally, Texas would let people make their own choices, foolish or otherwise. I’d lose my ass, so I wouldn’t be tempted anyway.

I’d think there are plenty of nannystaters and cronies in Texas politics opposed to betting for reasons other than biblical, though. 

Edit: I’d be happy with some decent blackjack games in the state, honestly. 

Edited by Deguello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the UIGEA is also on the chopping block (The reason it is such a pain to deposit online to offshore books).  This also bodes well for the future of online poker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

I wonder if the UIGEA is also on the chopping block (The reason it is such a pain to deposit online to offshore books).  This also bodes well for the future of online poker.

I'd say no to both of your statements. Here, the law at issue didn't outlaw sports betting. It made it illegal for States to legalize sports betting--a distinction with major constitutional implications. Congress can't make or prevent States from passing laws. It can, however, regulate individuals. So, as of now, States are free to legalize sports betting. But there is nothing in this decision that prevents Congress from making sports betting illegal on its own. 

As far as I know, UIGEA does not suffer from the same constitutional deficiencies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd say no to both of your statements. Here, the law at issue didn't outlaw sports betting. It made it illegal for States to legalize sports betting--a distinction with major constitutional implications. Congress can't make or prevent States from passing laws. It can, however, regulate individuals. So, as of now, States are free to legalize sports betting. But there is nothing in this decision that prevents Congress from making sports betting illegal on its own. 
As far as I know, UIGEA does not suffer from the same constitutional deficiencies. 
Nevada, and only Nevada, has legal online gambling.

https://www.playnevada.com/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Feds might treat it like legalized pot. Still illegal on on a Federal level but don’t enforce. However they make it difficult for the legal books by taking away the banking system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking Orrin Hatch trying to fuck things up once again and will introduce another (he wrote the original bill that was ruled unconstitutional) bill outlawing gambling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fucking Orrin Hatch trying to fuck things up once again and will introduce another (he wrote the original bill that was ruled unconstitutional) bill outlawing gambling. 


Apparently Hatch says “problems posed by sports betting are much the same as they were 25 years ago."

I’m at a total loss for the stupidity shown here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 10:19 AM, Deguello said:

What’s the Bible say about lotteries?

It’s a good SCOTUS decision and, ideally, Texas would let people make their own choices, foolish or otherwise. I’d lose my ass, so I wouldn’t be tempted anyway.

I’d think there are plenty of nannystaters and cronies in Texas politics opposed to betting for reasons other than biblical, though. 

Edit: I’d be happy with some decent blackjack games in the state, honestly. 

Wouldn't think Texas is gonna be leading the charge for legalized sports betting.  

Like I posted somewhere else,  I live in East Texas and many of these counties just got around to legalizing alcohol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how the MLB and NBA (and others I assume) are trying to get in on the action.  I'll give them credit for their creativity for additional revenue.  

https://www.legalsportsreport.com/integrity-fee/

Here in Iowa it sounds like it will pass when the legislators come back for session.  Unfortunately that will be in January.  The thought is, you will be able to place wagers at books in casino's and also do it online.  You will have to show up at a book/casino first and be "vetted".  They will check to make sure you don't owe alimony, child support, etc...  And you have to fund your account with cash, no credit card.  Can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a comment that wouldn't surprise me if true -- with govt and leagues trying to get a cut, look for vigs to go up as in most basic bets will be -112 to -115 instead of the current -110. Many newbies won't know or care about the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the scariest thing about the new potential legislation.  The people that are now in charge of writing new laws don't understand the difference between handle and hold, they just want their hands in the cookie jar, because OMG!!!BILLIONS!!!!  And the leagues, after fighting this for 6 years, now need an "integrity fee", and they're cool.

Ultimately, it can be legal as hell, but if dime lines or better are hard to find my situation won't change...I'll still use a local and offshore.

 

Edited by VolenteHawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone in or around Delaware?  Heard on Sirius/XM radio today that Delaware was opening its first licensed book today, most likely at a horse track.

Pretty quick turnaround from the decision... 3 weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about 45 minutes from Delaware Park, but I don't want to be part of this on day one. DE and NJ saw this coming years ago and were ready to pounce once that case got to the SCOTUS. It's good they have a couple months before football to iron out any kinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gov of DE was just on CNBC live from Dover Downs and he already placed a $10 bet on the Phillies game today. Looks like a lot of media and cameras in the background. Betting for now is restricted to professional sports in DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 5:28 PM, McCroskey said:


Apparently Hatch says “problems posed by sports betting are much the same as they were 25 years ago."

 

Thank goodness we solved the problems posed by alcohol and tobacco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LVRJ:

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed sports wagering legislation Monday, and Las Vegas-based MGM Resorts International is ready to go all in.

The company’s Borgata resort in Atlantic City is expected to be among the first in the state to offer sports bets. Murphy is expected to place the state’s first bet Thursday at Monmouth Park Racetrack in Oceanport near the Jersey shore. A spokesman for Murphy declined to say what wager he’d be making.

“Borgata is pleased the governor has signed the New Jersey sports wagering legislation and we are moving ahead with all possible speed to begin accepting legal sports bets as soon as required regulatory approvals are in place,” an MGM spokesman said in an emailed statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Jersey started the process for this in 2013.  They passed a prior law, which was struck down by the third circuit as violating PASPA.  They then passed a second law in 2014 which formed the basis of the lawsuit that ultimately resulted in the Supreme Court ruling last month.  The major casino companies and legal sports books from overseas (Bet365, William Hill, Ladbrokes, etc) have all been watching this case for years and planning their moves into the U.S. market.  Currently there are about half of the states that are either studying sports betting at the legislative level or have already legalized it.  Orin Hatch can EABOD.  With half of the states already moving towards legalization there is no chance of reviving legislation outlawing sports betting on a federal level.

 

For us in Texas the wait will be about 3-4 years.  Oklahoma will legalize sports books at Indian Casinos and racetracks as soon as the legislature there is back in session.  Louisiana will do the same, with the exception that their proposal is for all casinos (not just native american) to be able to obtain a sports betting license.  Notable exception here will be the Golden Nugget casinos owned by Fertita due to his ownership of the Houston Rockets.  Can't have the owner of a pro team also own a sports book.

 

Having represented off-shore books for years I know more about this than anyone really wants to hear.   But I am happy to answer any questions about it.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fully expecting Illinois to never find a way to launch gambling, so I am just hoping that Indiana doesn’t screw it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bearacho said:

New Jersey started the process for this in 2013.  They passed a prior law, which was struck down by the third circuit as violating PASPA.  They then passed a second law in 2014 which formed the basis of the lawsuit that ultimately resulted in the Supreme Court ruling last month.  The major casino companies and legal sports books from overseas (Bet365, William Hill, Ladbrokes, etc) have all been watching this case for years and planning their moves into the U.S. market.  Currently there are about half of the states that are either studying sports betting at the legislative level or have already legalized it.  Orin Hatch can EABOD.  With half of the states already moving towards legalization there is no chance of reviving legislation outlawing sports betting on a federal level.

 

For us in Texas the wait will be about 3-4 years.  Oklahoma will legalize sports books at Indian Casinos and racetracks as soon as the legislature there is back in session.  Louisiana will do the same, with the exception that their proposal is for all casinos (not just native american) to be able to obtain a sports betting license.  Notable exception here will be the Golden Nugget casinos owned by Fertita due to his ownership of the Houston Rockets.  Can't have the owner of a pro team also own a sports book.

 

Having represented off-shore books for years I know more about this than anyone really wants to hear.   But I am happy to answer any questions about it.  

 

 

that's not true.  ferttitta can own a sportsbook.  he just isn't allow to take wagers on the rockets.  it's been done numerous times by many owners of casinos that also have interests in sports teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

that's not true.  ferttitta can own a sportsbook.  he just isn't allow to take wagers on the rockets.  it's been done numerous times by many owners of casinos that also have interests in sports teams

Look at the Maloof brothers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Look at the Maloof brothers.

The Entire NBA was off the board at the Palms. Not just the Kings. That changed around 2008 i Believe. 

Ed Roski minority owner with Lakers has same thing at Silverton. 

Celts are also off board at Harrahs

 

Edited by joeycovers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rockets are only currently off the board at Golden Nugget.  It's advantageous if you want to take futures on Golden State number of wins because you get one of their main contenders out.  GS futures on most win on Western Conference is almost a guaranteed lock without the Rockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Rockets are only currently off the board at Golden Nugget.  It's advantageous if you want to take futures on Golden State number of wins because you get one of their main contenders out.  GS futures on most win on Western Conference is almost a guaranteed lock without the Rockets.

How would the Rockets taken off the betting board impact win totals on a different team?  If you are saying they have an alternative future bet for western conference champ that excludes the rockets, clearly they would adjust odds accordingly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last season if you had to choose who would have the best record in the Western conference who would you choose?  Rockets or Warriors?  What happens if you were able to remove one team from contention?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joeycovers said:

The Entire NBA was off the board at the Palms. Not just the Kings. That changed around 2008 i Believe. 

Ed Roski minority owner with Lakers has same thing at Silverton. 

Celts are also off board at Harrahs

 

18aw.gif

Edited by Jimbaround

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Thanks, Fart.  That is interesting.  I think that was a one-time thing given that Fertitta bought the team after some bets had been made.  Given this language:

"The sportsbook then removed the Rockets from the list of teams available to bet and reposted odds on the team to "finish best" in the Western Conference and the NBA Finals."

since the bet became "finish best" with reposted odds, I'm sure the Warriors odds dropped a bunch, i.e. not as good as if you bet them elsewhere to "win" the Conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'll get excited when online poker is legal.

that aint happening anytime soon, Sheldon Adelson has paid millions of dollars to the PAC's of almost every major Senator in the country to have them continue to claim that poker is gambling and thus only legal in casinos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
that aint happening anytime soon, Sheldon Adelson has paid millions of dollars to the PAC's of almost every major Senator in the country to have them continue to claim that poker is gambling and thus only legal in casinos
I know. He's eventually losing that argument, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 3:54 PM, Machinator said:

 

$10 max bet to protect you from you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

such bullshit.

If a casino is licensed to have a sportsbook it should be forced to take all action up to a certain limit or lose it's license.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...