Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

If we took Burris before turner decides, does that mean we either know turner said no or weren’t willing to wait and risk it?  Or do we take him too?

47 minutes ago, golfclap said:

With Coe and Downs as their DT takes, I don't know that the Sooners have the numbers to take Burris (or Abiara) honestly.  @quigley may know, but I think with the transfers coming in that they might be up against it with 4 DL already committed and limited numbers vs. the 25 but several needs because of the attrition.

You guys have better knowledge of the OU numbers than I do, but I think TFB has said OU's taking ~ 23 total. OU should have room for 4 DL at this number.

Personally, I'd like OU to take only 9-10 on offense (1 QB and RB, 4 WR, 3 -4 OL) and take 13-14 on defense (5 DL, 3 LB, and 5 DB).

1 minute ago, quigley said:

You guys have better knowledge of the OU numbers than I do, but I think TFB has said OU's taking ~ 23 total. OU should have room for 4 DL at this number.

Personally, I'd like OU to take only 9-10 on offense (1 QB and RB, 4 WR, 3 -4 OL) and take 13-14 on defense (5 DL, 3 LB, and 5 DB).

Once Riley is done converting all the most athletic defenders into offensive players the numbers will even themselves out anyway.

That is an interesting Top 3, because it appears none of those schools is actually recruiting Burris like a priority.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Once Riley is done converting all the most athletic defenders into offensive players the numbers will even themselves out anyway.

Burris to OG?

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You're right, and lol that's worse. 

Yeah, 1st thought on that injury is Johnathan Grey.  Although didn't Blacklock come back from that injury this past season for TCU?

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ike Iwunnah just got a Texas pick on Rivals from Sam Spiegelman.

200.gif

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ike Iwunnah just got a Texas pick on Rivals from Sam Spiegelman.

Wait is this the kid that @golfclap (I believe) wanted to try out on the OL?

Just now, Thiefery said:

He's the DT that triple jumps.  Wheaton's teammate.

Spiegelman seems like he throws a bunch of picks out and sees what happens though.  He has Bama' for Turner, and already some 2023 DL to aggy.

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That is an interesting Top 3, because it appears none of those schools is actually recruiting Burris like a priority.

per HammLite ::

No he has Texas in this group, we have been told by a couple people that A&M and Oklahoma are out in front. A&M is definitely still recruiting him and I was told he has a take for sure 

He was close to committing to Oklahoma at one point but slowed things down. That enabled A&M to work to get back in it

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah, 1st thought on that injury is Johnathan Grey.  Although didn't Blacklock come back from that injury this past season for TCU?

Yes, but I don't think we know if either was a full tear, or just strains. 

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

No. I love him at DT. He's a spread-killer. He and Jonathon Jones (Mizzzou commit) are both guys that I think fit the physical profile of Herman era takes. Very athletic, very sudden, big frame, lean with good balance/body control. The fact that Iwunnah is athletic enough to triple jump right at 40' as a 275 pound guys is mystifying. Freak. 

Just now, golfclap said:

No. I love him at DT. He's a spread-killer. He and Jonathon Jones (Mizzzou commit) are both guys that I think fit the physical profile of Herman era takes. Very athletic, very sudden, big frame, lean with good balance/body control. The fact that Iwunnah is athletic enough to triple jump right at 40' as a 275 pound guys is mystifying. Freak. 

Iwunnah seems like a guy that would have done well in the camps that got canceled and shot up the rankings.

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm guessing then Regis probably won't be coming to Austin

Looks like it's only us and aggy in serious contention there. See golfclaps post upthread, would be shocked if they took him over their bag in hand mercenaries. I think it's more of a reflection of confidence in Turner. 

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Looks like it's only us and aggy in serious contention there. See golfclaps post upthread, would be shocked if they took him over their bag in hand mercenaries. I think it's more of a reflection of confidence in Turner. 

Yeah, Spiegelman has Turner going to Bama, so the Iwunnah pick makes sense given that context.

So all the $9.95 talk of Turner wanting to stay close to home is false hope?

We have to pay Carl $9.95 now?

So all the $9.95 talk of Turner wanting to stay close to home is false hope?

Yes. 

id take Ike and Regis. If turner wants in sure. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’m truly happy for any young person who’s worked hard enough to have put themselves in a position to get a free education and to be set-up for future success. Kudos!

But how in the world is this even a question? 
He literally has the best option available,  a “fall back”, and a freaking joke of a financial institution (I know I know, “We ain’t come here to play school”).

3 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

I’m truly happy for any young person who’s worked hard enough to have put themselves in a position to get a free education and to be set-up for future success. Kudos!

He literally has the best option available,  a “fall back”, and a freaking joke of a financial institution (I know I know, “We ain’t come here to play school”).

You realize he may not in fact have the option of selecting each of those institutions?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He's the DT that triple jumps.  Wheaton's teammate.

Spiegelman seems like he throws a bunch of picks out and sees what happens though.  He has Bama' for Turner, and already some 2023 DL to aggy.

Spiegelman interviewed and talked to Wheaton a couple days ago. I would be interested to see where he thinks Wheaton is headed. Reading between the lines based on some of his comments, I think Spielgman feels like Wheaton is trending Texas. 

Spiegelman might have some intel coming out of Lakeview Centennial. 

I know they work at different sites but Roach and Spiegelman are buddies. That's my guess where the optimism from Roach started. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You realize he may not in fact have the option of selecting each of those institutions?

Honestly, no it hadn’t. I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the kid was talented enough to have garnered said offers.  
At any rate, I do wish him much luck.

4 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Honestly, no it hadn’t. I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the kid was talented enough to have garnered said offers.  
At any rate, I do wish him much luck.

lots of offers go out to many kids.. however committable offers are something else.. then the school still needs to want you before saying yes. Dirty game man

51 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Sooner fanboy Drumm on Burris

I don’t know that he will be a take when time comes for a commitment. Something I have to look into before updating.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Why wouldn't he?  Turner's a huge question mark and Iwunnah would be the only Interior DL in a 4 man front.  We should absolutely be looking to take 2 IDL and waiting on Turner until late would be a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

EJ would have put in a Texas one just for fun at this point

Roach will put one in too ... a high confidence one ... 

... in a week.

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

with the numbers we have now, are Turner, Ike and Regis all three still takes?

I think Texas is more than fine on numbers (I still think Texas could go 28/29 depending on EEs) and I'd take all three or any combination of them. They all really bring something different as it is, Iwunnah and Regis are both very disruptive guys in very different ways with opposite body types. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I think Texas is more than fine on numbers (I still think Texas could go 28/29 depending on EEs) and I'd take all three or any combination of them. They all really bring something different as it is, Iwunnah and Regis are both very disruptive guys in very different ways with opposite body types. 

Could take 29 right now, but that drops to 28 if we land Fields 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. 

id take Ike and Regis. If turner wants in sure. 

Fucking this.  Don't forget, Regis is a bit of an athletic freak, too.  I love the idea of two freakishly athletic DTs who are still developing.  Dominating DTs make the world go 'round.

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Could take 29 right now, but that drops to 28 if we land Fields 

In the transfer player thread, carl said Fields gave us a silent. We'll see if that comes to fruition soon

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Iwunnah and Regis are both very disruptive guys in very different ways with opposite body types. 

Like Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is phenomenal 

unless I'm missing something, it's mostly just a bunch of Twitter and Instagram pictures

spacer.png