The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 1/9/2020 at 2:50 PM, BabaYaga said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxMY2pqicRrs3KWejxKiC

Because America....that's why!

*45-70

On 1/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I have a .44 mag snubbie. I can only imagine how that thing would shoot.

Hell my 45-70 Winchester with a 28" octagon barrel is bad enough.  To hell with a 2" snub nosed pistol.

How many of you build your own bullets?  I've got one really nice custom built rifle that I use with only hand loads. The performance, accuracy and consistency is phenomenal.  A friend of mine has been hand loading for 40 years and he has taken me under his wing to show me how to do it.  He hand loads ALL of his bullets for his multitude of rifles.  

I am slowly assembling all of the gear and equipment to do it myself.  

Whatcha got?  

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, some shooters like to cast their own handgun lead, not to mention the muzzle-loading aficionados.

I tried that once with a replica Colt 1851 Navy.  Because I'm borderline regarded, I didn't pack the cylinders properly and while it did fire out the barrel, it also cooked off the adjacent cylinder.  Thankfully it didn't explode or come apart,.  We (buddy and I) cast the balls and packed them down (like in the pic below), we did something wrong.  See how the cylinder sits off to the side, but is exposed and can clear next to the barrel.  That's what happened.  Loud noise.  Lots of smoke.  Nice little shot of adrenaline...and probably something else from the liquor cabinet.  That was the end of that....

Cap-and-ball-4.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That’s an 1858 Remington replica.

But it sounds like y’all forgot to top each cylinder load off with a dab of Crisco.

Yes, the wooden packing mount - not the gun (that's not mine, just an example from the internets)....but yeah, we capped each cylinder, but overloaded the powder, so while sealed, it was for a 'normal' amount, not "two idiots that were bored and drinking" amount.....

Heh, I overloaded my replica Tower flintlock .69 caliber pistol back in the day.
Fired it while squatting down - the massive recoil knocked me on my ass, broke the mainspring and cracked the stock. Luckily I had a firm two-handed grip on it, otherwise it would’ve clubbed me on the noggin like we see in those funny YouTube videos.

• Like 1

Heh, I overloaded my replica Tower flintlock .69 caliber pistol back in the day.
Fired it while squatting down - the massive recoil knocked me on my ass, broke the mainspring and cracked the stock. Luckily I had a firm two-handed grip on it, otherwise it would’ve clubbed me on the noggin like we see in those funny YouTube videos.

Anyone record it on a stone tablet at the time?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Well, some shooters like to cast their own handgun lead, not to mention the muzzle-loading aficionados.

Yep.  I have another friend that does horse mounted, black powder shooting.  He cast his own bullets.  I saved up about 200 lbs. of old lead jack pipe flashings for him. He said he's good go now for the next millenium.

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yes, the wooden packing mount - not the gun (that's not mine, just an example from the internets)....but yeah, we capped each cylinder, but overloaded the powder, so while sealed, it was for a 'normal' amount, not "two idiots that were bored and drinking" amount.....

I don't think it is possible to overload a cap and ball revolver as long as you aren't using smokeless powder. More than likely there was a flaw in the ball or an uncapped nipple next to it.

20 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Anyone want to buy a used 1911? It's been a little carelessly owned, but still fires just fine. 

I'll let it go cheap, and I can probably get you a good deal on an AR as well. 

Hit me up - I'm in the 78748. 

Make and model?  Got a picture?

38 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Make and model?  Got a picture?

Sorry, I already traded the 1911. A friend of mine that I owed money to needed it to commit crimes with. Haha, just kidding, of course. 

I can probably get you pictures of the AR within the next few nights though. Another guy has it right now, but it should be pretty easy for me to get it from him. 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2020 at 8:47 PM, deadshank said:

How many of you build your own bullets?  I've got one really nice custom built rifle that I use with only hand loads. The performance, accuracy and consistency is phenomenal.  A friend of mine has been hand loading for 40 years and he has taken me under his wing to show me how to do it.  He hand loads ALL of his bullets for his multitude of rifles.  

Whatcha got?  

I had the reloading bug bad about a month ago, but it went away and I converted those appropriated funds into an AK underfolder and a CZ Scorpion SBR.

Whatcha got?  

Let us know what you have so we can ridicule your choices and tell you what you are doing wrong.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, Handcruser said:

Checking in.

New PWS MK218 Mod1M in 6.5 C. Pretty excited to send some lead downrange next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

when you get a chance, I’d love to see some pics. I’ve been eyeing the 7” 5.56 for a while now.

• Like 1

Anyone have a good wood guy in Texas?   Going to build a .22-250 off an awesome Super Grade M70 takeoff stock I bought, but want to up size the barrel from the featherweight profile.  I think I can get a #2 contour in there, or maybe a light/med target contour.  But there will need to be some in letting done, and this thing is way too nice for that in letting to be done by me.  I found an awesome donor for the right price, just perfect, but it's got just a bit too much barrel I believe.

I’ve pitched it to a few of them that I’ve used that I trust; none want to chance it on this wood. Will continue to try and find someone but it might just be simpler to have a better barrel made with a slightly heftier contour. Something that could fit the fwt channel but is fully lapped and just higher quality. Decisions decisions.  If you think your guy would be able to give it a shot, shoot me his contact. This isn’t a hurried project. 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:56 AM, Armybrat said:

I did when I was a young man.  I had a Thompson-Center Hawkin, and I poured my own lead.  That's been a long time, but I think they were referred to as "maxi balls".  They were cylindrical. 

On 3/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, deadshank said:

Whatcha got?  

As stated above, I used to reload all of my stuff as a young man.  Shotguns are a no-brainer, because it was so easy and economical. 

I also reloaded centerfire cartridges. I mostly shot 38/357, and also reloaded a bit of 30/30.  The neck sizing on the 30/30 was a pain in the ass.

Then, I discovered pussy, and got out of shooting for a few decades.   I still did shotguns as a younger man, but preferred to buy shells instead of loading my own.  Priorities.  

Here's my "cool story bro". 

In 1980, I was working at a failing pizza place.  The owner was a newly divorcing, drunk fool, and was eventually sleeping in the back room.  The restaurant was flying straight into the fucking mountain.   One time, he couldn't make payroll.   He owed me 150 bucks, for 3 weeks IIRC.  He told me "hey, I don't have any money to pay you, but I'll give you my shotgun and shotgun reloading equipment instead, but I won't give it you you, I will only give it to your dad".

I grab the phone and get a "hell yeah" from my dad.  Arrangements were made, and the next day my dad picked up a large pepperoni, a bunch of reloading shit, and a nice Wingmaster 870.  

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

although I doubt many of y'all give a flying fuck about me, i think I should explain about the guns I used to own.

When my marriage drove into an oak tree at 100 mph, I took some time away; a month or so,  to avoid killing my wife.  During that time, she sold pretty much everything I owned with the exception of my undies with the shart stains.  All of my guns, fishing gear, tools, etc disappeared.   She forged my signature on the pink slip of my Bronco and sold that too.

It was all worth it to be done with her. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I did when I was a young man.  I had a Thompson-Center Hawkin, and I poured my own lead.  That's been a long time, but I think they were referred to as "maxi balls".  They were cylindrical. 

LOL.  "Minni-balls" is what you mean (named after the French inventor Claude-Étienne Minié).  Pronounced min-yay, Americanized to "mini".

They revolutionized modern warfare.  Specifically the American Civil War.  Before, ammunition was round.  As any baseball fan knows, air passing over and around a round object causes it to curve and yaw.  Hence the Napoleonic and Revolutionary war tactics of soldiers clustered together.  Ready.  Aim.  FIRE!  Essentially a giant shotgun blast because the effective ranges of those rifles were not more than a few hundred yards.  Now fast forward to the Civil War and the advent of the mini-ball.  Cylindrical, able to be fired accurately up to 500 yards.  In the hands of skilled woodsmen firing at antiquated tactics of clustered soldiers.  Combined with cannon (grape-shot in particular) fire, the slaughter was predictable.  The base of the round was hollow/concave.  It flattened upon impact.  The precursor to the modern expanding hunting round we've all seen mushroomed in a deer or other animal.  Truley gruesome to read some of the accounts from battles.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

All of my guns, fishing gear, tools, etc disappeared.   She forged my signature on the pink slip of my Bronco and sold that too.

It was all worth it to be done with her. 

And immediately took another month off, to avoid killing her. 

I can’t even imagine. Shitty story