The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I've had my eye on a Glock 23 for a while.  Popped into academy on Westheimer to buy something else and stopped by the gun counter.  The dude working told me he has heard rumors that manufacturers might stop making .40 cal ammo which seems entirely silly since A. so many cops use that caliber and B. they can't make it fast enough now.  What do you guys hear?  

I've had my eye on a Glock 23 for a while.  Popped into academy on Westheimer to buy something else and stopped by the gun counter.  The dude working told me he has heard rumors that manufacturers might stop making .40 cal ammo which seems entirely silly since A. so many cops use that caliber and B. they can't make it fast enough now.  What do you guys hear?  

Not that.

He’s wrong. Ignore him.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Also, why a 23?

I want a smallish pistol for carrying on the deer lease.  Putting down hogs or a wounded deer or whatever.  I need to go shoot one before I buy, but based upon a limited internet searching, the 23 seems a great gun for that.  Lightweight and plenty of power.  I have an old Colt 38 special revolver but it's pretty heavy and I kinda want a new gun anyways, but by all means, talk me into something else if there are better options out there!

19 minutes ago, heinhorn said:

Oh really, is that what q told him?  This guys seems like a dolt lol.

I want a smallish pistol for carrying on the deer lease.  Putting down hogs or a wounded deer or whatever.  I need to go shoot one before I buy, but based upon a limited internet searching, the 23 seems a great gun for that.  Lightweight and plenty of power.  I have an old Colt 38 special revolver but it's pretty heavy and I kinda want a new gun anyways, but by all means, talk me into something else if there are better options out there!

19 and 23 are the same gun….one is just 9mm and the other is .40. But the 9mm 19 is the gold standard in 9mm striker fired pistols. It just is. The .40 variant had issues early on in its life, but doesn’t now.

9 vs 40 is a debate that has gotten more interesting in the last 15 years or so. The 9mm cartridge now is much better than it was years ago. Powders and bullets have been iterated on this platform more so than any other pistol cartridge probably. 9mm is cheaper, easier to shoot, and just as effective really.

I have a 19. Ive had 4 and the 19 would be the last gun I sell. The Sig 320 platform is very nice, and I’ve migrated to that in a sense because it’s different and I shoot them well.

If this is your first pistol (not revolver) get a 19. Gen5.5 would be the one I’d get if I was you.

I’d then add a 300BO pistol (9” barrel) to take with you around the ranch.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

19 and 23 are the same gun….one is just 9mm and the other is .40. But the 9mm 19 is the gold standard in 9mm striker fired pistols. It just is. The .40 variant had issues early on in its life, but doesn’t now.

9 vs 40 is a debate that has gotten more interesting in the last 15 years or so. The 9mm cartridge now is much better than it was years ago. Powders and bullets have been iterated on this platform more so than any other pistol cartridge probably. 9mm is cheaper, easier to shoot, and just as effective really.

I have a 19. Ive had 4 and the 19 would be the last gun I sell. The Sig 320 platform is very nice, and I’ve migrated to that in a sense because it’s different and I shoot them well.

If this is your first pistol (not revolver) get a 19. Gen5.5 would be the one I’d get if I was you.

I’d then add a 300BO pistol (9” barrel) to take with you around the ranch.

Thanks for the feedback.  

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Oh really, is that what q told him?  This guys seems like a dolt lol.

Yeah; the kid didn't seem super bright.  He says he "heard" that most police departments are switching back to 9MM so there will less large scale need for .40 cal.  I wasn't going to argue with him bc I don't know shit.  

1 hour ago, heinhorn said:

Yeah; the kid didn't seem super bright.  He says he "heard" that most police departments are switching back to 9MM so there will less large scale need for .40 cal.  I wasn't going to argue with him bc I don't know shit.  

That (bolded) isn't necessarily untrue.  However, as was stated above, the .40 becoming obsolete is utter nonsense.

Hell, manufacturers still made the 10mm after all these years, only to see it come back into relative popularity.  The .40 isn't going anywhere even if no one made a single new gun chambered for it.  There is an enormous population of existing .40's that need to be fed.  That kid was working in the shoe department last month.

Buy what fits and you shoot well.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

That (bolded) isn't necessarily untrue.  However, as was stated above, the .40 becoming obsolete is utter nonsense.

Hell, manufacturers still made the 10mm after all these years, only to see it come back into relative popularity.  The .40 isn't going anywhere even if no one made a single new gun chambered for it.  There is an enormous population of existing .40's that need to be fed.  That kid was working in the shoe department last month.

Buy what fits and you shoot well.

Yep.  The genesis of the .40 S&W was somewhat of a solution looking for a problem.   FBI shootout in the 80's using standard 9mm ball ammo and revolvers saw them on the short side of a gun fight.  So they wanted to go up a MM to the 10 millie due to the performance, penetration, and ballistics on paper.  All fine, except they are hard to shoot (recoil, etc).  So out pops junior:  or baby ten.  It's to the 10mm what the .380 auto is to the 9mm.  Same caliber with a shorter case.  

It's fine, but too snappy for me personally.  With the advent of modern and ultra-effective 9mm loads (hence the rise in popularity), you get a much higher mag capacity, less recoil, and good terminal ballistics.  This is even more important to me when carrying a compact or sub compact.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 2

Yep.  The genesis of the .40 S&W was somewhat of a solution looking for a problem.   FBI shootout in the 80's using standard 9mm ball ammo and revolvers saw them on the short side of a gun fight.  So they wanted to go up a MM to the 10 millie due to the performance, penetration, and ballistics on paper.  All fine, except they are hard to shoot (recoil, etc).  So out pops junior:  or baby ten.  It's to the 10mm what the .380 auto is to the 9mm.  Same caliber with a shorter case.  
It's fine, but too snappy for me personally.  With the advent of modern and ultra-effective 9mm loads (hence the rise in popularity), you get a much higher mag capacity, less recoil, and good terminal ballistics.  This is even more important to me when carrying a compact or sub compact.  

Really no need to buy a .40 anymore. Unless you just want to.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Yep.  Nothing wrong with it.  Just not my jam.  I run either .45acp or 9mm to better consolidate ammo, etc.  I think a .40 sub-compact would be a PITA to shoot and have a weak mag capacity.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I posted this way up thread but it's worth repeating: everything that comes out of the gun counter guy's mouth should be ignored except for the price of the gun. Just like the Ford salesman guy's mouth. No different. They'll say anything.

90% of the regular posters on this thread know more than 90% of gun counter guys.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, heinhorn said:

He's an idiot, but he actually did you a favor.   Get you a .45 (Glock 21 or similar.)

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2021 at 8:39 AM, Handcruser said:

No, he Rugers.

I can’t imagine spending $500 on that gun vs $550-$600 on a 43/Hellcat/365/XD/etc.

Armybrat gonna Armybrat.

That Max-9 should normally sell for $350. If I want one, I’ll bide my time.

Edited by Armybrat

12 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

I posted this way up thread but it's worth repeating: everything that comes out of the gun counter guy's mouth should be ignored except for the price of the gun. Just like the Ford salesman guy's mouth. No different. They'll say anything.

90% of the regular posters on this thread know more than 90% of gun counter guys.

You are correct.

On 6/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, Handcruser said:

How was the crunch on .40 compared to 9?  I know by the end everything was out but in the beginning throes was it any more available?  I remember .357 and .38 being around for awhile after things got tight 

21 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Gunprime has some police trade-in G22s in 40 for a "not retarded" price right now if you want to go bigger. FYI.

I don't own a Glock and I don't own a 40 FYI. Just passing this along.

Several years ago I bought some Sig 226 .40 trade-ins and a stash of magazines. 

Police trade-ins are a great value normally if your looking for a utility pistol.  Most are like new if not legitimately brand new / never issued. 

How was the crunch on .40 compared to 9?  I know by the end everything was out but in the beginning throes was it any more available?  I remember .357 and .38 being around for awhile after things got tight 

It was about the same. The .40 stock lasted a little longer maybe.

The problem wasn’t the crunch on most calibers… it was the crunch on the “main” calibers made everyone buy up all calibers to use as trades and/or overpriced personal sales later…

A week or so before Covid panic buying I ate about 500 rounds of .380 and 9mm prepping for my CC license renewal (lifetime now, ‘cause ancient).

Work was nutty for a couple weeks, and I woke up to find all ammo gone and the the Cheaper Than Dirt model of overpriced shit had become universal.

I like to practice with the actual defense rounds I will be using, and it was expensive, but possible. Now it ain’t. When is this shit gonna get back to normal?

17 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

The problem wasn’t the crunch on most calibers… it was the crunch on the “main” calibers made everyone buy up all calibers to use as trades and/or overpriced personal sales later…

Yeah I remember everything but the initial buy up.  Just curious how much faster 9mm and 5.56 left the shelves than everything else. I remember a brief time when you could still find less popular rounds before shit started selling like crazy on the auction sites. 

Abbott signed HB 957 into law along with six other gun bills.
Abbott 7 signs

Some poor soul will forget it’s in their bag when they leave the state on a hunt and do federal time. Or give one to their brother in Louisiana and get him jailed.

But cool for the smart responsible Texan gun owners. I guess we will see how long it takes to get in gang usage.

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Some poor soul will forget it’s in their bag when they leave the state on a hunt and do federal time. Or give one to their brother in Louisiana and get him jailed.

But cool for the smart responsible Texan gun owners. I guess we will see how long it takes to get in gang usage.

Won't be the first time it happens, and nowhere near Texas.

https://www.nj.com/atlantic/2014/08/philadelphia_mom_who_legally_purchased_gun_in_pa_arrested_in_new_jersey_faces_3_years_in_prison.html

Edited by workswithseed
It

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I doubt we will actually see the "Made in Texas" suppressor anytime soon.  I am neither smart nor a lawyer but the HB 957 for Dummies that I read talked about how this legislation kicks off court cases / law suits in an effort to get a declaratory judgement from the Feds before the first suppressor is made (i.e. are you going to screw with us or leave us alone since this is not interstate commerce).

Example:

Give a path to secure a declaratory judgment on the constitutionality of this law before someone manufactures “Made in Texas” suppressors.

I think this is an attempt to prevent what happened in Kansas and the above mentioned incident in Pennsylvania. 

I certainly wouldn't be anxious to buy a commercially manufactured "made in Texas" suppressor. But if you roll your own so to speak and don't try to sell it I don't think the feds are going to he too worried about hunting you down. I assume that was the case already, however.

As long as you weren’t stupid with it, they’d never know. Like shoulder a pistol.

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Woah there, Son.  I won't be a part of any felony.

But in seriousness, don't build an unstamped silencer.  As dumb as the law is, you're building an illegal Class 3 weapon.  

3 felonies a day, might was well get started

14 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I doubt we will actually see the "Made in Texas" suppressor anytime soon.  I am neither smart nor a lawyer but the HB 957 for Dummies that I read talked about how this legislation kicks off court cases / law suits in an effort to get a declaratory judgement from the Feds before the first suppressor is made (i.e. are you going to screw with us or leave us alone since this is not interstate commerce).

Example:

Give a path to secure a declaratory judgment on the constitutionality of this law before someone manufactures “Made in Texas” suppressors.

I think this is an attempt to prevent what happened in Kansas and the above mentioned incident in Pennsylvania. 

Good point - I will say suppressors are not overly complicated or difficult to manufacture.  Just a tube with an attachment piece and baffles.  My guess is there will be a scramble to get them going.  

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Woah there, Son.  I won't be a part of any felony.

But in seriousness, don't build an unstamped silencer.  As dumb as the law is, you're building an illegal Class 3 weapon.  

seem to be a lot of them elsewhere:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/12/09/chechen-home-made-weapons/

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/sunday-gunday-11-homemade-guns-will-churn-stomach/

https://reaperfeed.com/5-homemade-weapons-from-the-chechen-wars/

https://www.ammoandguncollector.com/p/home-made.html

there's even a Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/28217935146194771/

Example:

Not sure of the standing nuances. In determining whether there is a case or controversy, the test is normally whether the alleged facts demonstrate there is a substantial controversy between parties, with adverse legal interests, of such immediacy and existence so to warrant a declaratory judgment.

Law dogs with a better grasp of the law than I have can chime in on the declaratory judgment possibilities.

Thoughts on the Honey Badger vs DD DDM4 PDW. Won a gunbroker auction for 500 rounds of 220gr 300blk ammo ($550) without even having the gun. Now, I have no choice but to purchase it.

Probably neither. Both are great and you can’t go wrong.

I’d build another aero. I really like them (built 3) and that’s prob all I will build when I want something quality. I am going to build a cheap as possible Palmetto gun just for kicks.

You in austin?

4a99a262c6e5242177d28caaeddec05c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Probably neither. Both are great and you can’t go wrong.

I’d build another aero. I really like them (built 3) and that’s prob all I will build when I want something quality. I am going to build a cheap as possible Palmetto gun just for kicks.

You in austin?

4a99a262c6e5242177d28caaeddec05c.jpg

Houston.

Beautiful setup!

Zero’d in the HK 556 last week. That’s a heavy rifle. Will likely add some more weight to it by placing a magpul bipod on the front M-LOK rail. 

19 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

5b55aba3152d17a39bda8794c88604cf.jpg

I can tell this pluck and pull foam will be a problem with repeated manipulation. Need to get a polyethylene foam custom cut for this case. Anyone know or use people in Houston for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built one myself for one of my O/U's.  Thin sheets of styrofoam.  Came out really nice.  I'll see if I can get a pic sometime.  But it was tedious and a pia.