Laxtonto

The Climate thread

Some good tweets in this thread. Just gonna highlight a couple. 

he says that people need to be accurate with their facts when reporting rather than alarmist.  he says we can engineer our way around this like we do other natrual disasters.  to illustrate engineering, he claims deaths from natural disaster are down from their 1931 peak of "3.7 million " by 99.7%.  what happened in 1931?

The 1931 China floods, or the 1931 Yangtze–Huai River floods, were a series of devastating floods that occurred in the Republic of China. They were some of the deadliest floods in history, and together formed one of the most lethal natural disasters of the 20th century,[4] excluding pandemics and famines.[1] Estimates of the total death toll range from 422,499[5] to between 3.7 million and 4 million.[2][3][6]

that seems like a pretty big range and him choosing the highest end of it kinda undercuts his point.  he's also making the statistical error of comparing 2 points on what is probably a fucking noisy chart.  sure, last year was 11,000, but one tsunami in indonesia and we're back to 20x that. 

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

he says that people need to be accurate with their facts when reporting rather than alarmist.  he says we can engineer our way around this like we do other natrual disasters.  to illustrate engineering, he claims deaths from natural disaster are down from their 1931 peak of "3.7 million " by 99.7%.  what happened in 1931?

that seems like a pretty big range and him choosing the highest end of it kinda undercuts his point.  he's also making the statistical error of comparing 2 points on what is probably a fucking noisy chart.  sure, last year was 11,000, but one tsunami in indonesia and we're back to 20x that. 

All-in-all, I think it's actually a pretty decent take.  Do you think that GRHorn and his Godking Trump understand that, like, at all.  Nope.  They will do what GRHorn is doing here, and exactly (oh the irony) what the author warned against in that very article -- use it to support climate change denial bullshit.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All-in-all, I think it's actually a pretty decent take.  Do you think that GRHorn and his Godking Trump understand that, like, at all.  Nope.  They will do what GRHorn is doing here, and exactly (oh the irony) what the author warned against in that very article -- use it to support climate change denial bullshit.

i was going to say something about him disagreeing with GRHorn but didn't want to overshoot GRHorn's position and get told i'm lying about it.  though i suspect GRHorn thinks this whole global warming thing is just a made up scam by the lefty cabal to get us into one world government communism. 

read the tweets he hid. apparently "MD" stands for Master's Degree.  what a douchecadet. 

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i was going to say something about him disagreeing with GRHorn but didn't want to overshoot GRHorn's position and get told i'm lying about it.  though i suspect GRHorn thinks this whole global warming thing is just a made up scam by the lefty cabal to get us into one world government communism. 

dude is getting hammered in the comments.  apparently "MD" stands for Master's Degree.  what a douchecadet. 

Yeah, his use of the 1931 floods as a baseline is pretty indefensible.  Seriously, that's just sloppy.  But the general thesis -- let's stick with what we know, as opposed to hyperbole and histrionics -- has merit.  Likewise, his suggestion that we look at the long game, and the fact that we MUST acknowledge the process of development in places like India, are both very realistic and must be part of the conversation.

I'm absolutely a believer in climate change.  And I believe that it's a slow-moving natural disaster.  But I also believe that we have to engage in a realistic and practical conversation.  E.g., we can't just tell India "stop burning fossil fuels, sorry if that craters your economic development."  The real question is "how do we get India to a place where reduction in carbon emissions is a realistic and achievable goal?"

But again, you and I and everyone worth a shit knows that this piece 1) won't actually be read, and 2) will just be used to argue that climate change is fake news promulgated by libtards.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

E.g., we can't just tell India "stop burning fossil fuels, sorry if that craters your economic development."  The real question is "how do we get India to a place where reduction in carbon emissions is a realistic and achievable goal?"

which is why the US needs to be a global leader on building green infrastructure.  otherwise china is selling it everywhere and we're getting left out.  middle of east buttfucking egypt in africa isn't being electrified by a big central jiggawatt (yes axiom, i know it's spelled gigawatt, go watch a movie sometime) level nuclear power station - it's getting electrified by small diesel generators.  MW size wind turbines and storage are the green competitor to that. 

Edited by elfenix

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

which is why the US needs to be a global leader on building green infrastructure.  otherwise china is selling it everywhere and we're getting left out.  middle of east buttfucking egypt in africa isn't being electrified by a big central jiggawatt (yes axiom, i know it's spelled gigawatt, go watch a movie sometime) level nuclear power station - it's getting electrified by small diesel generators.  MW size wind turbines and storage are the green competitor to that. 

Yep.  All of that technology is coming, and advancing every day.  And our culture is one of "fuck that shit, burn coal and oil or you're a pussy!"....meanwhile, China is the largest producer of green energy products.  We want to double down on our buggy whip industry, when everyone knows that the automobile is coming.  Just stupid.  But then, "shortsighted and stupid' is our brand.

I recently read the book "Factfullness" by Hans Rosling which addressed this very issue of natural disaster deaths.  I could not find the graph that was in the book, but the first 3 minutes of his TED talk covers it among other things.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Kinda undercuts his point?

Its like saying everyone should stop bitching about the Boeing planes nosediving into the ground because airline deaths are way down from their high of 2800+ in 2001.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s not much space available for people that are climate change believers but timeline skeptics.  

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  All of that technology is coming, and advancing every day.  And our culture is one of "fuck that shit, burn coal and oil or you're a pussy!"....meanwhile, China is the largest producer of green energy products.  We want to double down on our buggy whip industry, when everyone knows that the automobile is coming.  Just stupid.  But then, "shortsighted and stupid' is our brand.

Well, nevertheless, USA led China in per capita solar production as late as 2018 using estimated 2019 population.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

China is also the largest producer on coal on the planet, by a large margin. And they are increasing the gap every year. While the US is continuing its decrease in coal production year by year. 

I realize the US is full of idiots, but if you want to have an legitimate conversation on energy demand v supply, let’s not pretend China is leading the World’s Green Party. 

We do need to increase our investment in solar and wind, and hydro. Not only because it helps combat climate change, but because clean energy is better ran dirty energy. 

In wind power the USA is killing China on a per capita basis.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In terms of exporting green energy...they’re killing it: https://time.com/5714267/china-green-energy/

That isn't exactly WTO type of activity.  China is using their government to fund their installations of their technology.  It would be like US Fed government buying Boeing planes for other countries, sort of.

BTW:

Not only is China today the world’s largest producer of solar panels, wind turbines, batteries and electric vehicles, but it has also been the top investor in clean energy for nine out of the last ten years, according to the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.

That is not true on a per capita basis.

I don’t much care if they’re playing 3 on 1. They’re still beating us. And, check the rate of increase in investment and activity - they’re beating us there, too.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I don’t much care if they’re playing 3 on 1. They’re still beating us. And, check the rate of increase in investment and activity - they’re beating us there, too.

So per capita only counts if it is to bash the USA on the polluting side of the ledger?

32 minutes ago, zork said:

China is using their government to fund their installations of their technology

so?  we've been using everyone else's air as an open sewer for the past century+, you expect them to pay for us to clean up our mess?

33 minutes ago, zork said:

It would be like US Fed government buying Boeing planes for other countries

which we do all the fucking time.

33 minutes ago, zork said:

giphy.gif

So per capita only counts if it is to bash the USA on the polluting side of the ledger?

Increase in investment. Coordinated export of green energy tech. They are taking leadership in the field...because we’re fucking moronically ceding the field, incrementally. Because see, we take the coal...and we clean it.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Increase in investment. Coordinated export of green energy tech. They are taking leadership in the field...because we’re fucking moronically ceding the field, incrementally. Because see, we take the coal...and we clean it.

we have dropped our coal usage by almost 1/2 since 2000.

can't link diagram but see it here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/220174/total-us-electricity-net-generation-by-fuel/

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so?  we've been using everyone else's air as an open sewer for the past century+, you expect them to pay for us to clean up our mess?

which we do all the fucking time.

giphy.gif

read the thread, per capita is the way to measure things.

In that case they're kicking our fucking ass by burning 7 metric tons of CO2 per capita compared to 16 metric tons of CO2 per capita

Oh and btw that figure needs to get to .5.

1 minute ago, elfenix said:
20 minutes ago, zork said:

In that case they're kicking our fucking ass by burning 7 metric tons of CO2 per capita compared to 16 metric tons of CO2 per capita

yes.  and we are kicking their ass in per capita wind, solar installations as well as coal use reductions.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:46 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, his use of the 1931 floods as a baseline is pretty indefensible.  Seriously, that's just sloppy.  But the general thesis -- let's stick with what we know, as opposed to hyperbole and histrionics -- has merit.  Likewise, his suggestion that we look at the long game, and the fact that we MUST acknowledge the process of development in places like India, are both very realistic and must be part of the conversation.

Its not sloppy. Its out-right deliberate dishonesty intended to obfuscate and confuse so that GR types can rationalize away their denialism.

10 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Cold Fusion suppression is real just like all free energy suppression is real.

Edited by Pimphand

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion