Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

It’s not that the calls were wrong per se, it’s just that it was an incredibly tightly whistled game against us at pretty much all times. The refs could have swallowed their whistles on at least a half dozen calls and they just didn’t. Except maybe Brock undercutting Williams on the defensive rebound. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Screw Purdue 

Screw the Refs

Screw the broadcast and their Purdue hard on

Any time a team has 4x the amount of free throws as the other team then it should be declared a no contest and replayed. What a joke of a game.

This team deserved to win outside of one bad stretch on offense. The future is bright though once Beard starts getting a few classes in here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, D3zii said:

Yea them freethrow numbers definitely didn’t help us

also Ivey is probably the best player we’ve seen all season and I felt like we held him down as good as anyone 

Ramey is a first-rate guard defender. As someone upthread said, we didn't have anyone inside that could neutralize them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Screw Purdue 

Screw the Refs

Screw the broadcast and their Purdue hard on

Any time a team has 4x the amount of free throws as the other team then it should be declared a no contest and replayed. What a joke of a game.

This team deserved to win outside of one bad stretch on offense. The future is bright though once Beard starts getting a few classes in here. 

It was criminal and evident early on

1 minute ago, honolulu horn said:

that's the most egregious thing. 46 is bananas, but a 34 FT difference is just absurd. 

Its criminal, no other way to put it. We all understand that the way we played offensively and their size was going to lead to them shooting more free throws; however, under no circumstance should there ever be a differential of 34. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not that the calls were wrong per se, it’s just that it was an incredibly tightly whistled game against us at pretty much all times. The refs could have swallowed their whistles on at least a half dozen calls and they just didn’t. Except maybe Brock undercutting Williams on the defensive rebound. 

Yeah, if the refs call a tight game and one team has a huge size advantage inside with a ridiculously quick point guard you get 40+ free throws.  Smaller players can't guard Williams and Edey without a lot of contact.  We are a jump shooting team.  It was the perfect storm for free throw disparity.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, XForce said:

I wish. They’re going to destroy St Peter’s. 

They're going to have to really not show up to lose to St Peter's. Peters  can't match up with either of their bigs either and will have trouble with Ivey especially late.

I don't hate Purdue I actually want to see them and Gonzaga in the final 4 match. Those Purdue bigs vs Timme down the stretch. Ivey vs a top 4 or 5 backcourt in the country. That will be a great matchup to watch. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree with that. The game was tightly whistled overall. You’re not gonna get a ton of FTs when you shoot 30 3s.

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Maybe next year we have a offense and get some shooters cause this team had very limited offensive weapons for sure. 

This team is fine offensively other than the fact we didn't have an explosive guard (i.e. Isaiah Taylor) to get in the lane and create for others. Isaiah Taylor would have had Edey in foul trouble tonight but it is what is. Time to go recruit in the portal

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

They're going to have to really not show up to lose to St Peter's. Peters  can't match up with either of their bigs either and will have trouble with Ivey especially late.

I don't hate Purdue I actually want to see them and Gonzaga in the final 4 match. Those Purdue bigs vs Timme down the stretch. Ivey vs a top 4 or 5 backcourt in the country. That will be a great matchup to watch. 

Pretty sure the NCAA is going to look at their options this week and start pushing hard for a Duke vs UNC Final Four

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

disagree, didnt seem conclusive at all to me from the angles I saw, but jsut add it to the list of 50/50 calls Purdue got all night long

Dude wut? Bishop was standing out of bounds when he touched the ball. It wasn’t even close. It was 100/0 not 50/50

Look, we knew from December that this team wasn’t as good as we’d hoped for and this season was going to end with a loss. They all do in our history (absent the 2 NIt’s but who gives a fuck, really). We didn’t go down like little bitches and we won a tournament game for the first time in forever. Call it a success, get AJ back for his 18th year on campus, recruit the portal and hope the freshmen are as good as advertised. I think Beard will have us as good as peak Barnes here in a bit, maybe we will get a little luckier than we were under Rick and the stars will all align for us some year. 
Either way, it was nice to enjoy the first basketball season in like a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Maybe next year we have a offense and get some shooters cause this team had very limited offensive weapons for sure. 

we needed an actualy legit big besides Bishop.  Disu wasn't as ready as we thought.  we have a true point coming which will help Marcus I believe.  Askew isn't the answer but maybe he stays 3 more years and gets better.

need more size.

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Look, we knew from December that this team wasn’t as good as we’d hoped for and this season was going to end with a loss. They all do in our history (absent the 2 NIt’s but who gives a fuck, really). We didn’t go down like little bitches and we won a tournament game for the first time in forever. Call it a success, get AJ back for his 18th year on campus, recruit the portal and hope the freshmen are as good as advertised. I think Beard will have us as good as peak Barnes here in a bit, maybe we will get a little luckier than we were under Rick and the stars will all align for us some year. 
Either way, it was nice to enjoy the first basketball season in like a decade. 

Beards tourney ability is clearly legit. There’s something different about his teams in March

2 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Hard to win with Timmy scoring 2 points and fouling out. 

Yup. Combine that with our 10 minute drought AND the extra points they scored at the line. And we still had a chance to win it with 2 minutes left. Unreal game our guys played. And exactly why we hired Beard. Shake’s ass would have lost by 50.

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Pretty sure the NCAA is going to look at their options this week and start pushing hard for a Duke vs UNC Final Four

I didn't notice any just NBA level fix officiating this weekend. And when it comes down to it I don't think UNC can hang with this team and don't think Duke can handle Gonzaga. Unless some tourney craziness happens. 

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yup. Combine that with our 10 minute drought AND the extra points they scored at the line. And we still had a chance to win it with 2 minutes left. Unreal game our guys played. And exactly why we hired Beard. Shake’s ass would have lost by 50.

Shaka would’ve lost by 25 to VT. 

• Haha 4

If you think about it, Coaching really kept us in this game and mentality he’s installed in this team!!!! 

Timmy fouled out and only scored 2 pts

they shot 40+ free throws 

they had a projected lottery pick 

we went on a 0-20 drought 

and two bigs better than anything we have 

AND STILL 

we still had a chance to win at the end!!!! 
Beard is the right guy . . Let him work!! 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Shaka would’ve lost by 50 to VaTech

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He also is generally a liability to our defense unless there’s a big big (which is when he played tonight) on the court. He can’t switch.

Right - which is a reason Bishop plays over him. We needed minutes from him to keep Bishop from fouling out and to give him some rest.

3 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

that's the most egregious thing. 46 is bananas, but a 34 FT difference is just absurd. 

It was by design. And, we could have had up to 4 more if we hadn’t missed the front end of 4 FTs. So you’ll say a 30 FT difference is egregious. I totally disagree in this game. When you a) try to fuck up their 7’4” guy, which we did and took him out of the game, helping our rebounding and ability to get to the rim, b) go the final 11-12 in the double bonus, and c) are down the last two minutes of the game and actively fouling, you’re gonna have a massive disparity, particularly when we don’t have an inside game and rarely take it to the hole. Anyone who looks at the stat line and concludes we got fucked by the refs in this game or any other like it is fucking retarded. So sick of seeing foul/penalty discrepancies in a vacuum as a reason to be critical of officiating in football or basketball. It is a loser mentality and underscores a lack of understanding of what is happening in the game. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I agree with that. The game was tightly whistled overall. You’re not gonna get a ton of FTs when you shoot 30 3s.

When you see that sort of disparity start a lot of times the refs will lighten up so that kind of thing didn’t happen. They never did. A good example is AJ’s 4th foul. We had them trapped in the corner. Did AJ grab some elbow?  I’m sure he did. I also know in 43 years of watching hoops I’ve seen that kind of end game press/scramble not called a ton of times. But they whistled it. Just like they whistled every single fucking call all night long on us and even a couple we didn’t deserve (AJ charge/block in the first half), loose all foul on the giant. Glancing touch on one of the three point shots in the first half etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4