2022 Property Tax Values are out

WithoutAClue

Mine is up 75% it appears.  78628. 

question- I was counting on the 10% max for homesteads rule to help me out here, but I read some language that that doesn’t apply until year 2 of homesteading?  Does that sound correct?  As a way to reset the dollars for a home that sells but remains homesteaded throughout?  

because that is going to hurt.  

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Closed in November. Appraised at $30k higher in January. 

I'm thinking of signing up for a service that appeals the appraisal for you and charges you 50% of whatever they are able to save you off your tax bill. Anyone used one of these services?

Everyone's situation is different but I haven't gotten them to save more than $200 anytime I've used one.

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm thinking of signing up for a service that appeals the appraisal for you and charges you 50% of whatever they are able to save you off your tax bill. Anyone used one of these services?

no need. 

you can still fill out the informal appeal.   and in the case of a purchased home with a HUD-1 that completed before Dec 31 last year they have to accept the price on the HUD-1 as that very clearly was the actual value of the house at the end of the year.

I did that back in 2011, 

you should be able to do it easily and no need to pay anyone else to challenge it this year. 

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Assuming you're around Austin, ProTax is good.  Heard good things about Five Stone.  if you're serious about using someone, get signed up soon.  Last year ProTax stopped taking on new clients once the protest deadline neared.

Also -- what Aus-97Horn said... above.  With the Closing Statement they should knock you back down to what you paid.

Edited by Jester

Mine actually went down 3% this year...  I had the house reappraised for a cash out refi 2 years ago and told the appraiser to give me the smallest number available when he did the appraisal and I fought the AD last year and got 7% off last year. In Montgomery county...  :) Of course, my rental house in Harris county went up 30%...

Harris County assholes dinged me bad last year.  I had comps on my street with larger lots, larger houses, pool,  etc appraised barely higher than mine and I proposed a settlement and they basically gave me the finger. 

Then the guy said you get taxed on market value anyway, and I said market value is irrelevant unless I'm selling...they DGAF. Then I said the building is called the Appraisal District not the Market Value District. He chuckled and admitted I had a point, but still didn't give a shit 

12 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Harris County assholes dinged me bad last year.  I had comps on my street with larger lots, larger houses, pool,  etc appraised barely higher than mine and I proposed a settlement and they basically gave me the finger. 

Then the guy said you get taxed on market value anyway, and I said market value is irrelevant unless I'm selling...they DGAF. Then I said the building is called the Appraisal District not the Market Value District. He chuckled and admitted I had a point, but still didn't give a shit 

What the fuck do you think an appraisal is if not an assessment of market value?

Sec. 23.01.  APPRAISALS GENERALLY.  (a)  Except as otherwise provided by this chapter, all taxable property is appraised at its market value as of January 1.

Texas Tax Code Section 23.01

Edited by DanRydell
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I should know this better, but I guess (good/bad) haven't been in the position to benefit from rising values/sell-buy/get proper ****ed before...

To piggyback the earlier responses--so if I'm reading/understanding everything correctly, if you bought in 2021, best case is to knock it back to purchase price (current value is up 50%) and then (hopefully) utilize 10% cap for next year? It looks like they are not showing a HS exemption online, guessing/hoping due to the 1st-year rule (but will definitely be checking!)?

3 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

I should know this better, but I guess (good/bad) haven't been in the position to benefit from rising values/sell-buy/get proper ****ed before...

To piggyback the earlier responses--so if I'm reading/understanding everything correctly, if you bought in 2021, best case is to knock it back to purchase price (current value is up 50%) and then (hopefully) utilize 10% cap for next year? It looks like they are not showing a HS exemption online, guessing/hoping due to the 1st-year rule (but will definitely be checking!)?

You need to apply for homestead, it’s not automatically applied. 

22 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You need to apply for homestead, it’s not automatically applied. 

Yes. It's an easy contest to set the 2021 value to what you paid. I had to do this. Just set a review and show them your closing papers. And then as Pato said, you have to apply for homestead to implement the 10% cap.

Then you need to find a Prop Tax service to contest your value EVERY year. My 2015 built house at 2400 sq feet is valued less than my neighbor's 1960s build 1900 sq ft house across the street. Difference is I've been contesting my Prop Tax every year since buying the home. He's never contested. He was pissed when I told him what I was paying.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Yes. It's an easy contest to set the 2021 value to what you paid. I had to do this. Just set a review and show them your closing papers. And then as Pato said, you have to apply for homestead to implement the 10% cap.

Then you need to find a Prop Tax service to contest your value EVERY year. My 2015 built house at 2400 sq feet is valued less than my neighbor's 1960s build 1900 sq ft house across the street. Difference is I've been contesting my Prop Tax every year since buying the home. He's never contested. He was pissed when I told him what I was paying.

I’m always going to be pissed because my house in Wyoming had a tax rate of ~0.6% so 2.1% now seems like extortion.  

17 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I can tell you that I went through the same process as DennisTaylor with my first house at HCAD in about 2009. It was fucking rigged. When I figured out that it was fait accomplit during the hearing, I used the last few minutes in a cussword-free rant to tell the 3 “judges” that they were playing a rigged game, they knew it, and it was morally wrong. For that, they’d eventually pay the price of burning in hell forever for it, as they were moneychangers for authority and nothing more. 2 weeks later I got a letter in the mail that they’d reversed their position on the matter and agreed with my findings. 

But, I don’t know if that is repeatable. After that, I’ve always gone with the tax dispute people. They know how the game is played and they get results. I think we use O’Connor but I don’t really know these days. My wife handles it. In any event, we’ve never lost a dispute through them and it’s saved us at least tens of thousands of dollars over the last decade+ on various houses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yup. They've won for me before and kept 40 or 50 of the savings. Using them again this year. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m always going to be pissed because my house in Wyoming had a tax rate of ~0.6% so 2.1% now seems like extortion.  

want to get REALLY pissed, especially for those living in Austin and paying AISD taxes? out of all ISDs in the state, AISD paid the MOST robin hood money (termed "recapture") to the state to fund other ISDs across the state. AISD taxes make up 48% of my tax bill. of that 45% of that money went outside of AISD to fund other schools. almost half of AISDs $1.6B budget was to pay the state for other ISDs. 

so roughly $3,900 of my property tax bill went to fund other ISDs. my tax money for my mother fucking house in Austin wasn't spent in motherfucking Austin. FUCK THAT SHIT!

that chart below, the blue bar total should read $8111.

image.thumb.png.5cb56329aad471687b33b02b4779d2ff.png

Recapture (robin hood) is 45%.

image.png.df881fef4a6e19728e50553853cf4d20.png

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Interested in seeing the per capita/student cost. Houston, for example, has an absolute shitload of slum real estate, and shitloads is schools/kids. I would expect less money to leave. 

I too was surprised. I guess there are a shitton of the multi-million dollar homes inside 610 loop 

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

What the fuck do you think an appraisal is if not an assessment of market value?

Texas Tax Code Section 23.01

Sorry, I don't have the tax code memorized.  Not in real estate or accounting.  I'd assume the difference between appraised and market values have to do with homestead but if they tax on market then what's the benefit of the homestead?

This shit is such a fucking racket. When we bought the house in 2004, we applied for homestead and qualified for over 65 discount because of my geezer husband. Yaaay.

Then after 20 years of marriage, he died and they ask me if I was 55 at the time of his death, which I was not. So they took away the over 65 discount, made me pay the prorated difference, and said I could get it back after I was 65, not at 55 because your 20 year marriage to a badass old dude doesn't count. But if I had been 55, it would have? That is some age discriminating shit, man. Fuck you in the face, Travis County!

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I too was surprised. I guess there are a shitton of the multi-million dollar homes inside 610 loop 

There are, lots. There’s also some 3rd world shit that doesn’t pay much. Lots of apts. Fwiw, it pisses me off, too.  But my thoughts on it gave me a reputation here for “hating poor people” so I’ll bow it.  Would be interested in why HP is so low, too. 

19 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It's because Austin is full of rich empty nesters. AISD only has 74,000 students. 

Just for comparison RRISD has over 48,000 and LISD has over 40,000. 

Sounds like aisd should file a dispute with the Robin Hood district and hire a company to get that lowered. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It's because Austin is full of rich empty nesters. AISD only has 74,000 students. 

Just for comparison RRISD has over 48,000 and LISD has over 40,000. 

Requoting this for [serious] post. Shouldn’t this be a reason to lower isd taxes in the county to more closely match what is actually needed?  And if that was done, would the Robin Hood money necessarily be cut?

Texas is such a sham of a “low tax” state. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Requoting this for [serious] post. Shouldn’t this be a reason to lower isd taxes in the county to more closely match what is actually needed?  And if that was done, would the Robin Hood money necessarily be cut?

They did just this last year: https://www.kxan.com/news/austin-isd-trustees-approve-lowest-property-tax-rate-in-20-years/

AISD has one of the lowest tax rates in the state. 

CTJ's anecdote is probabaly the experience of 50% of people that protest their properties in person.  I did my own in person for a couple years because i felt like I got better adjustments than going through virtual settlement. Not sure if that is still the case or not.

Anyways - I put together this big binder with comps, adjustments to the condition ratings of my home, replacement/repair costs, and adjustments to other comps for things like pools etc.  Justified something like $150/sf down from $190 or so.  They basically disputed/ignored all of my work, and then granted me what I wanted anyways because they "liked the neat binder I put the materials in."  Then it hit me that probably half the people that protest themselves just show up to yell at them, and get nothing. 

In my latest home I will probably do isettle, but using protax or bettencourt or whatever is better than nothing. I'm in a situation now where I'll be getting the 10% capped increase to appraised value every year until it catches up to market value so protesting wont save me any tax dollars now, but will help in the future.

Sorry, I don't have the tax code memorized.  Not in real estate or accounting.  I'd assume the difference between appraised and market values have to do with homestead but if they tax on market then what's the benefit of the homestead?

The benefit of the homestead exemption is it can decrease your assessed value (by virtue of the 10% cap) and also your taxable value (by virtue of local tax exemptions) to lower numbers than your appraised value.

18 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Repeating advice above in case you missed it.

You bought in 2021 so your tax appraisal should be capped at the actual purchase price.  No need to hire someone for that because it is a slam dunk guaranteed cap.  Just submit the protest with the HUD-1.

• Hook 'Em 1

want to get REALLY pissed, especially for those living in Austin and paying AISD taxes? out of all ISDs in the state, AISD paid the MOST robin hood money (termed "recapture") to the state to fund other ISDs across the state. AISD taxes make up 48% of my tax bill. of that 45% of that money went outside of AISD to fund other schools. almost half of AISDs $1.6B budget was to pay the state for other ISDs. 
so roughly $3,900 of my property tax bill went to fund other ISDs. my tax money for my mother fucking house in Austin wasn't spent in motherfucking Austin. FUCK THAT SHIT!
that chart below, the blue bar total should read $8111.
image.thumb.png.5cb56329aad471687b33b02b4779d2ff.png
Recapture (robin hood) is 45%.
image.png.df881fef4a6e19728e50553853cf4d20.png
Some strong Michael Jordan vibes on this post
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Interested in seeing the per capita/student cost. Houston, for example, has an absolute shitload of slum real estate, and shitloads is schools/kids. I would expect less money to leave. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

HISD receives tax money from residents of Bellaire, River Oaks, and West U, at a minimum, in terms of high earnings/high real estate value areas. I do not think that is true for the Memorial footprint. None of that is enough to outweigh the seriously impoverished to lower middle class neighborhoods also within the area.

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

This shit is such a fucking racket. When we bought the house in 2004, we applied for homestead and qualified for over 65 discount because of my geezer husband. Yaaay.

Then after 20 years of marriage, he died and they ask me if I was 55 at the time of his death, which I was not. So they took away the over 65 discount, made me pay the prorated difference, and said I could get it back after I was 65, not at 55 because your 20 year marriage to a badass old dude doesn't count. But if I had been 55, it would have? That is some age discriminating shit, man. Fuck you in the face, Travis County!

I'll be honest, I'll feel like I've been reading your posts for years and never had you set up as either being female or gay in your posting style/behaviors/comments. It's always interesting to find out more about someone you've "known" on the Internet for years, I guess. Sorry for your loss, also.

roughly $3,900 of my property tax bill went to fund other ISDs. my tax money for my mother fucking house in Austin wasn't spent in motherfucking Austin. FUCK THAT SHIT!

This is not going to improve your mood, but your $3,900 just went to the state’s general revenue fund.

The state is giving part of the Robin Hood money to other school districts, but not all of it.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

This is not going to improve your mood, but your $3,900 just went to the state’s general revenue fund.

The state is giving part of the Robin Hood money to other school districts, but not all of it.

Nope... they find other ways to use that money and it has nothing to do with education.  But hey, let's keep voting in the same idiots.

• Rage+1 1