2022 Property Tax Values are out

WithoutAClue

the goal is to get *investors* to sell their single family homes.

I think this is the angle.

Homestead protections are sufficient for majority of owner/occupants at today’s salaries…but a lot of LLC cash flow projections just got a helluva wake-up call…not to mention newly minted speculators in the mid-to-upper tier condo market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Muny_Tex said:

I think this is the angle.

Homestead protections are sufficient for majority of owner/occupants at today’s salaries…but a lot of LLC cash flow projections just got a helluva wake-up call…not to mention newly minted speculators in the mid-to-upper tier condo market

Lotta Californian transplants surprised that property taxes can go up. 

Proerty in gtown/wilco. House I grew up in. Grandfather built in 1941. In area we call the barrio, San Jose. All hispanic families lived there. Not much done to it just maintenance since.
2015- $75k total value, land $15k
Last year $320k, protested down to $260k. Land $80k
Just got 2022: $540k of which lot value at $283k?? Wtf. Just a few months ago whole thing $260k??
Its on .2 acre in old mexican town.
Shit is outta control. Lot is more than most high dollar neighborhoods around. Crazy

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Proerty in gtown/wilco. House I grew up in. Grandfather built in 1941. In area we call the barrio, San Jose. All hispanic families lived there. Not much done to it just maintenance since.
Just got 2022: $540k of which lot value at $283k?? Wtf. Just a few months ago whole thing $260k??
Shit is outta control. Lot is more than most high dollar neighborhoods around. Crazy

Weird. My land value went from 70 to 90.  .3 acre. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I believe that this is the relevant section of the Tax law. They can only raise the appraised amount by 10% and then add in the value of the improvement. Seems like this should be a slam dunk protest.  

Sec. 23.23. LIMITATION ON APPRAISED VALUE OF RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD. (a) Notwithstanding the requirements of Section 25.18 and regardless of whether the appraisal office has appraised the property and determined the market value of the property for the tax year, an appraisal office may increase the appraised value of a residence homestead for a tax year to an amount not to exceed the lesser of:
(1) the market value of the property for the most recent tax year that the market value was determined by the appraisal office; or
(2) the sum of:
(A) 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year;
(B) the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year; and
© the market value of all new improvements to the property.

Spoiler

Sec. 23.23. LIMITATION ON APPRAISED VALUE OF RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD. (a) Notwithstanding the requirements of Section 25.18 and regardless of whether the appraisal office has appraised the property and determined the market value of the property for the tax year, an appraisal office may increase the appraised value of a residence homestead for a tax year to an amount not to exceed the lesser of:
(1) the market value of the property for the most recent tax year that the market value was determined by the appraisal office; or
(2) the sum of:
(A) 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year;
(B) the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year; and
© the market value of all new improvements to the property.
(b) When appraising a residence homestead, the chief appraiser shall:
(1) appraise the property at its market value; and
(2) include in the appraisal records both the market value of the property and the amount computed under Subsection (a)(2).
© The limitation provided by Subsection (a) takes effect as to a residence homestead on January 1 of the tax year following the first tax year the owner qualifies the property for an exemption under Section 11.13. The limitation expires on January 1 of the first tax year that neither the owner of the property when the limitation took effect nor the owner's spouse or surviving spouse qualifies for an exemption under Section 11.13.
(c-1) For purposes of Subsection ©, an owner who receives an exemption as provided by Section 11.42(f) is considered to have qualified the property for the exemption as of January 1 of the tax year following the tax year in which the owner acquired the property.
(d) This section does not apply to property appraised under Subchapter C, D, E, F, or G.
(e) In this section, "new improvement" means an improvement to a residence homestead made after the most recent appraisal of the property that increases the market value of the property and the value of which is not included in the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year. The term does not include repairs to or ordinary maintenance of an existing structure or the grounds or another feature of the property.
(f) Notwithstanding Subsections (a) and (e) and except as provided by Subdivision (2), an improvement to property that would otherwise constitute a new improvement is not treated as a new improvement if the improvement is a replacement structure for a structure that was rendered uninhabitable or unusable by a casualty or by wind or water damage. For purposes of appraising the property under Subsection (a) in the tax year in which the structure would have constituted a new improvement:
(1) the appraised value the property would have had in the preceding tax year if the casualty or damage had not occurred is considered to be the appraised value of the property for that year, regardless of whether that appraised value exceeds the actual appraised value of the property for that year as limited by Subsection (a); and
(2) the replacement structure is considered to be a new improvement only if:
(A) the square footage of the replacement structure exceeds that of the replaced structure as that structure existed before the casualty or damage occurred; or
(B) the exterior of the replacement structure is of higher quality construction and composition than that of the replaced structure.
(g) In this subsection, "disaster recovery program" means the disaster recovery program administered by the General Land Office or by a political subdivision of this state that is funded with community development block grant disaster recovery money authorized by federal law. Notwithstanding Subsection (f)(2), and only to the extent necessary to satisfy the requirements of the disaster recovery program, a replacement structure described by that subdivision is not considered to be a new improvement if to satisfy the requirements of the disaster recovery program it was necessary that:
(1) the square footage of the replacement structure exceed that of the replaced structure as that structure existed before the casualty or damage occurred; or
(2) the exterior of the replacement structure be of higher quality construction and composition than that of the replaced structure.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1039, Sec. 47, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1173, Sec. 9, eff. Jan. 1, 2004.
Amended by:
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1355 (H.B. 438), Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2008.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 359 (H.B. 1257), Sec. 1(d), eff. June 19, 2009.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1417 (H.B. 770), Sec. 8, eff. January 1, 2010.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1259 (H.B. 585), Sec. 15, eff. January 1, 2014.
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 24 (S.B. 812), Sec. 1, eff. May 7, 2019.
Acts 2021, 87th Leg., 2nd C.S., Ch. 12 (S.B. 8), Sec. 3, eff. January 1, 2022.

Has anyone had the 10% they increase off the appraised versus the assessed. I looked at mine and they increased it from the assessed which is lower than if they used the appraised amount.

If they can indeed use the appraised amount that might be a good reason for me to use pro tax just to reduce the appraised value.

My rental properties in Kaufman County just posted. 150k increase. Not sure if this is a statewide thing but I've noticed in certain editions the land price is all the same regardless of lot size. A 30k sqft lot has the same value as a 9k sqft lot. KCAD won't let you fight it.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Developers want this land. But the city is working on a neighborhood plan with the current residents and preservation people.

12 minutes ago, used2b said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Developers want this land. But the city is working on a neighborhood plan with the current residents and preservation people.

Yeah, GTown is working on a neighborhood plan to preserve the Hispanic/AA culture, right before lifetime residents are priced out.  The plan is documented at https://2030.georgetown.org/neighborhood-plans/.  The city hired a minority-owned consultancy out of Atlanta.  Their job was to foster relationships with current residents and document TRG and San Jose history.   Whatever.  My father has two lots off Scenic Loop TRG.  He's affected by the on-going gentrification.   If developers want his property, asking price is 1M per lot.

My sister lives in the Bouldin Creek area in a <1000 square foot house built in the late 1930s.  I don't know how much of an increase there has been over the past year, but this year her house was assessed at $1.2 million, adjusted down to $700K.  Insane.  It doesn't seem that long ago that she and I were walking through that neighborhood looking at all the "fixer uppers", wondering if they were overpriced between $55-75K.  Now wishing I had taken the plunge.  Of course, that was in 1993, so maybe it WAS that long ago.

I used to own a house a block east of South Congress, a bit south of Continental Club.  It was ~ 1,200 sf when I bought it, maybe $130K? can't remember.  I eventually added a 2nd story and a studio (casita) to bring it to ~ 2,900 sf.  Sold it for $530K or some such over 15 years ago.

It's now at $1.65M.

Good investment, for the guy I sold it to.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is obviously a much bigger topic than this thread should cover, but it's now past the point of debate: the vast majority of people and incomes can't afford to buy a home in Austin anymore.  That presents a real f'n problem on 1,000 different levels: a basic human problem, and employer problem (for employers who have jobs that DON'T pay $200k or more, where are you going to get your employees, and where are they going to live?), and a shitload more.  I can afford my home and the taxes......but I make a lot of money.  By the laws of percentages, the vast majority of folks do not.

Maybe it's a separate thread here, maybe its a CR thread, I don't know.  But this issue has blown right past the "crisis" point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

overall appraisal up 71%

now for some dumb guy questions (as i look at TravisCad statement) :

• Is the "value limitation adjustment" the "10%" rule?
  • Because the appraised value jumped 71%, does that mean i can expect "new appraised" to increase 10% ever year for the foreseeable future?
  • I get why there would be a huge increase in "Land Market" but why would there be a huge increase on "improvement" if no improvements were done, ie: no work done on the house.

6 minutes ago, yoladu said:

overall appraisal up 71%

• Because the appraised value jumped 71%, does that mean i can expect "new appraised" to increase 10% ever year for the foreseeable future?
  • I get why there would be a huge increase in "Land Market" but why would there be a huge increase on "improvement" if no improvements were done, ie: no work done on the house.

1 -- not sure

2 -- that's the way I understand it

3 -- the split in value between land and improvements is utterly made-up.  It's fantasy, and has no bearing on anything.  They can split it up however they want, the point is that the total value is those numbers added together.  This was told to me by TCAD last time I personally fought my appraisal.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, yoladu said:

overall appraisal up 71%

1. Yes

2. Probably

3. The land vs. improvements part is pretty arbitrary and doesn't really make a difference, but also building costs have gone up significantly so the cost to rebuild your house is almost certainly higher today than it was a year ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, yoladu said:

overall appraisal up 71%

because they are saying the "market" for your improvement has increased substantially.  it is fucking insane.  i love that the traviscad website has a banner across the top from with a message from the chief appraiser effectively saying "hey guys, this shit is crazy...but it is the school districts' fault."  that's a new one.  

an increase from $1.56 to $2.7 from 2021 to 2022 seems entirely reasonable, eh?

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

because they are saying the "market" for your improvement has increased substantially.  it is fucking insane.  i love that the traviscad website has a banner across the top from with a message from the chief appraiser effectively saying "hey guys, this shit is crazy...but it is the school districts' fault."  that's a new one.  

I mean, it's a fucking bonkers market, but it's a reasonable assessment of market value by TCAD and they're probably still undervaluing your property.

Everybody likes to bitch about their appraisal but virtually none of those bitching would sell their house for their appraised value. 

Attempting to fund government through property taxes on unrealized gains rather than income taxes on actual gains is idiotic and these are the consequences of that. But for reasons that defy any logic whatsoever, Texans for some reason find paying property taxes more tolerable than paying income taxes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, DanRydell said:

I mean, it's a fucking bonkers market, but it's a reasonable assessment of market value by TCAD and they're probably still undervaluing your property.

Everybody likes to bitch about their appraisal but virtually none of those bitching would sell their house for their appraised value. 

Attempting to fund government through property taxes on unrealized gains rather than income taxes on actual gains is idiotic and these are the consequences of that. But for reasons that defy any logic whatsoever, Texans for some reason find paying property taxes more tolerable than paying income taxes.

Yeah....there can be a whole discussion on tax policy, and how wise it is/isn't to do it this way.  But shit, even aside from the taxes, if you took a $150k job and moved to Austin 2 years ago, you could find a decent $450k house.  Take that same job today, and good luck to ya -- I just did a quick search, and in a decent neighborhood, you can get a house in that price range in the 900sf-1300sf class.  So, you can get a place to live, but sure as shit need to adjust your expectations as to how much space you'll get.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....there can be a whole discussion on tax policy, and how wise it is/isn't to do it this way.  But shit, even aside from the taxes, if you took a $150k job and moved to Austin 2 years ago, you could find a decent $450k house.  Take that same job today, and good luck to ya -- I just did a quick search, and in a decent neighborhood, you can get a house in that price range in the 900sf-1300sf class.  So, you can get a place to live, but sure as shit need to adjust your expectations as to how much space you'll get.

Oh certainly. The increased taxes is one of the least significant of the problems created by our current housing situation.

3 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

i certainly agree that the market is out of control and bubbled out to the max but i would sell my house for that by 5pm today if i could.  i could not possibly get that right now.  

that said, it really is amazing and I can't understand who is buying these houses. i know my relative income to the population of this city, as well as what all my neighbors do for a living and there's no fucking way.  none.  it has to be driven so much by inheritance.  spoiled mother fuckers.  all i am going to get a bunch of fucking liabilities to resolve.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

it has to be driven so much by inheritance.  spoiled mother fuckers.

I'm sure there's some of that.  There's also 1) the transfer of another bubble (the $300k ranch style in Palo Alto that someone just sold for $2.5 million before moving here, so now they've got outrageous money to spend, jacking up our prices), and 2) the investor/speculator bubble, which is a feedback loop (the faster housing prices appreciate, the more attractive the market is as an investment market, which brings in more investment cash, which further drives up prices).  I think that all of those are factors, aside and apart from the fact that more people are moving here than we have housing supply for.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

more people are moving here than we have housing supply for.

This is the main determining factor. We simply cannot deliver new supply quickly enough or at the volumes needed to curb the appreciation. There a lot of reasons for that locally, but it also isn’t just a local problem. 

28 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

TCAD was somehow right on the nose with their number for me.  Two homes sold in last three months for exactly that amount, and it was 60K over ask

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

TCAD was somehow right on the nose with their number for me.  Two homes sold in last three months for exactly that amount, and it was 60K over ask

well if you sold them, they are likely relying on the actual transactions so yeah, they are going to be pretty close.

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

well if you sold them, they are likely relying on the actual transactions so yeah, they are going to be pretty close.

To clarify. Two neighbors on the street sold 3 months ago for the price my home is now appraised at. A 70% increase over last year. 

They supposedly do not have MLS access, and the sale prices are not publicly listed. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

59 minutes ago, yoladu said:

overall appraisal up 71%

1. Yes

2. Unless there is a huge crash, yes. Even assuming a flat market for the next five years, thanks to the cap/limitation adjustment/10% rule" it will be 2027 before the value I am taxed at will equal the 2022 notice value.

3. As others have said, the land and improvement numbers are irrelevant and only the total is what you would protest. Appraisal districts have cost schedules that are tested with confirmed sales. Costs have increased incredibly in the last 18 months so that is one big reason for the increases. Once you determine what an improvement is valued at, the rest of the sales price must be in the land, so that goes up as well. 

All you with homes better see about increasing your limits on it. The increased premiums will suck but no where nearly as bad as if you suffer a fire and find out you can only replace your 2500 sq/ft  with about 2000 sq/ft due to being under-insured.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

more people are moving here than we have housing supply for.

35 minutes ago, Fico said:

This is the main determining factor. We simply cannot deliver new supply quickly enough or at the volumes needed to curb the appreciation. There a lot of reasons for that locally, but it also isn’t just a local problem. 

well...not gonna lie...as we're about to blow this joint for cooler climates (although it's probably out of the fire into the frying pan...moving to an only slightly less insane market)...i'll be happy to add to the supply at a completely outrageous price in a couple of weeks 😎 

*ducks* sorry not sorry lol 😊  

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is obviously a much bigger topic than this thread should cover, but it's now past the point of debate: the vast majority of people and incomes can't afford to buy a home in Austin anymore.  That presents a real f'n problem on 1,000 different levels: a basic human problem, and employer problem (for employers who have jobs that DON'T pay $200k or more, where are you going to get your employees, and where are they going to live?), and a shitload more.  I can afford my home and the taxes......but I make a lot of money.  By the laws of percentages, the vast majority of folks do not.

Maybe it's a separate thread here, maybe its a CR thread, I don't know.  But this issue has blown right past the "crisis" point.

Shit, even at $200K it's getting difficult when 25% of that (post employer taxes) would need to go straight to property taxes.

2 hours ago, sidis said:

i certainly agree that the market is out of control and bubbled out to the max but i would sell my house for that by 5pm today if i could.  i could not possibly get that right now.  

Same. Mine is likely 300K over what I could see it selling for. However protesting that number seems pointless.

I can see a point not too far off where my property taxes will equal or exceed my federal income tax liability, unless my income goes up a lot unexpectedly. (And I only own one home.) Glad I bought when I did--despite a higher salary now than in 2002, I couldn't buy my own house again based on it's current value and my current salary.

Edited by Paper_jam

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They don't want people to buy homes in Austin.  they want everyone to be a renter, with no car, by a train line.

They could easily add to the amount of living spaces by taking all the 3 story complexes(like off Far West and other places in Austin) and get investors to knock them down and make 8-10 story complexes.  they can get rid of the parking lots while they are at it.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

They don't want people to buy homes in Austin.  they want everyone to be a renter, with no car, by a train line.

They could easily add to the amount of living spaces by taking all the 3 story complexes(like off Far West and other places in Austin) and get investors to knock them down and make 8-10 story complexes.  they can get rid of the parking lots while they are at it.

Might want to build some more train lines then. 

23 hours ago, sidis said:

the same school district that paid almost 50% to the state robinhood fund. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

Do you think you could sell it for more than what it’s appraised at? The market is nuts, for sure.

Maybe, but I think it’s about $200k too high from some others that have bought recently.  Now at $525/sqft.

It was a 66% increase from last year and more than doubled from 2020.