Favorite Drummers?

Vic Mackey

Who are some of your favorite drummers? Not necessarily the most technical but your personal favorites.

Vinnie Paul - Not a Pantera fan but he was the one element I enjoyed in their music

Keith Moon - fucking bad ass with The Who

Joey Jordison - Like Pantera, not a huge fan of Slipknot but he is very talented

John Bonham - probably my favorite element of Led Zeppelin. 

Bill Ward - did great work for Sabbath (one of my favorite bands)

The Rev - Avenged Sevenfold is one of my guilty pleasure bands. And he was awesome. 

Mike Portnoy - Love his work with Dream Theater. 

Lars - Yeah I know he's not technically sound at all but I think he is perfect for Metallica and their sound. 

• Like 1

Keith Moon

Charlie Watts

John Bonham

Chad Smith

Dave Grohl

Brad Morgan (Drive-By Truckers; Charlie Watts-esque player)

Phil Rudd (AC/DC - not that technical, but perfect for his role)

Levon Helm - how the fuck did he drum that good and sing at the same time?  Jesus.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Steve Gadd, number one with a bullet (for me)

Manu Katche

Vinny Coliuata

Jeff Porcaro

Bernard Purdie

Bernard Purdie AND the dude who lifted his beats.  That's my kind of humor.  Respect.

• Like 2

No Mike Mangini?  Is it because of the shadow he's playing in?   Dude is a stud and a peer to anyone already listed, imo.

EDIT TO ADD:  lol Just realized the thread is only 4 posts deep am I already calling out an omission.  Can we slot this into, say, the 12th post, because you know he wasn't going to be mentioned.  Side note, I don't actually know that.

Edited by BoomMF

Quality list. There's a local guy out of SA that really impressed me on the Texas country circuit - Joe Cortez IV. He's playing with Johnny Cooper now, who I'm not really a fan of, but I'll check out a show sometimes just to hear this guy play. He's probably worth checking out if you're the type of person to click this thread.

• Like 1

Nicko McBrain

Always love Rick Allen.  Im sure his sound is nothing special but it's pretty impressive what he does with 1 arm.  Every time I see Def Leppard in concert he looks like he loves behind the drums and performing.

• Like 2

Purdie explaining the Purdie Shuffle is the greatest thing ever.

I've played drums more or less for 25 years and I still can't play that shuffle anywhere close to that smoothly and perfectly.  There's a reason he always showed up to sessions with his sign, 'You done hired the hit maker."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, theCruiser said:

really ladies?  Nobody is gonna mention Bill Bruford.  I didn't ask if you like YES, it's a thread about favorite drummers.  And nobody has yet to put out Bill Bruford?  Fucking Carter Beauford will probably get five mentions before Bruford.  C'mon.  Listen to the man.  

I'll second for Bruford

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Who are some of your favorite drummers? Not necessarily the most technical but your personal favorites.

Vinnie Paul - Not a Pantera fan but he was the one element I enjoyed in their music

Keith Moon - fucking bad ass with The Who

Joey Jordison - Like Pantera, not a huge fan of Slipknot but he is very talented

John Bonham - probably my favorite element of Led Zeppelin. 

Bill Ward - did great work for Sabbath (one of my favorite bands)

The Rev - Avenged Sevenfold is one of my guilty pleasure bands. And he was awesome

Mike Portnoy - Love his work with Dream Theater. 

Lars - Yeah I know he's not technically sound at all but I think he is perfect for Metallica and their sound. 

he was unreal! one of my favorites as well. why is liking them a guilty pleasure? I love them

• Like 1

My answers are pretty cliche:

Keith Moon - I just love the backbeat being a continuous drum fill.  Normally, if a drummer played like that, it would come across as annoying overplaying, but somehow it just works when Moon does it.  As a side note, I'd say that Zak Starkey is a more than credible substitute, and also pretty fun to watch.  

Bonham - gets the credit he deserves for thundering power, but the guy was also super tasteful on cymbals.  If there are only three mics on the kit, it's rare that a drummer can effectively mix his own kit and have it sound like that.  This is going to sound like "you kids get off my lawn," but how is it that technology has exploded during my lifetime, but Bonham's kit recorded better in 1969 than its modern-rock descendants 49 years later?

Stewart Copeland - So fun to watch, and brought a completely different vocabulary to rock music.

Keith Carlock - never heard his name, but got great seats at Bass Hall to see Steely Dan a few years ago, and spent half the show telling my friend (who was the real Steely Dan fan), "I'm pretty sure that's the best drummer I've ever seen."  I thought maybe he was some undiscovered diamond-in-the rough that I could afford to contact and hire to play on some songs I was working on at the time, so I looked him up after the show and learned that 1)  he's a North Texas State guy, and we had a couple mutual friends in Austin... but 2) yeah, the guy is very much in-demand (John Mayer, Sting, James Taylor) and way, way out of my league.  I also thought that I had "discovered" a Russian ballerina around that same time, and that turned out to be completely wrong too.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 2

I've heard tales that Moon would just play the basics on one take and then the producer would let him go batshit crazy with fills, etc. on a second set of tracks (probably just overheads).

The thing about Bonham for me is the swing and groove.  I don't know how a guy could possibly be that heavy with that much groove, but he did it.  Nobody has really developed that exact feel in 40+ years since.

• Like 3

There's an interesting scene in "Beware of Mr Baker" where the interviewer is talking to Clapton about Ginger, and the interviewer mentions Bonham and Moon, and Clapton immediately does an eye roll, a dismissive hand wave, and an audible "Pfffft" as he tries to compose a response.  

Not saying he's right, but it's a an interesting endorsement (despite the fact that Clapton had to put up with Baker's bullshit for half a decade).

Edited by Paul Wesley

13 hours ago, futureman said:

this guy, without a doubt. 

Thanks for this clip Futureman.  I'm watching with the sound off (because I'm at work) and fucking crying and trying not to laugh like a mental patient at this drummer.