W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Maybe Taco Flats on Burnet? They installed decent outdoor seating during COVID. Might be too casual for what you want.

There is no "too casual".  I'm leaning towards Stiles Switch, but I'll let them make the decision.  Is it possible to get seated quickly at 11:15 or is it a Franklin BBQ situation?

Taco Flats is a good idea, I've always liked their food.  Thanks.

I wish La Mancha was open before 3 PM -- their outdoor patio is big and their food doesn't entirely suck.  Maybe a little south of our target area, but not too far.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Conan's Pizza.  Get the Savage on whole wheat.  Sit in one of those narrow little booths so you can be up close and personal with your associates.
Alternatively, I've always liked Cover 3 but I haven't been since pre-COVID.

C3 is good with the booths. Nice high glass between them. However they will try to seat you at the open tables that are all crammed together with no barriers. Both times I’ve eaten inside since covid, the hostess couldn’t understand why we wanted a booth away from people.

There is no "too casual".  I'm leaning towards Stiles Switch, but I'll let them make the decision.  Is it possible to get seated quickly at 11:15 or is it a Franklin BBQ situation?
Taco Flats is a good idea, I've always liked their food.  Thanks.
I wish La Mancha was open before 3 PM -- their outdoor patio is big and their food doesn't entirely suck.  Maybe a little south of our target area, but not too far.

You’ll be through the line in 5-15 minutes at that time. It does back up a bit immediately around then though. So don’t be late.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Cover 3 patio. This seems like a no brainer. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

C3 is good with the booths. Nice high glass between them. However they will try to seat you at the open tables that are all crammed together with no barriers. Both times I’ve eaten inside since covid, the hostess couldn’t understand why we wanted a booth away from people.

Or you could just sit outside...

On 9/10/2021 at 10:41 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Didn't want to start a new thread -- any recs for a central Austin place with outdoor seating for an early (11:15) casual weekday business lunch?  Doesn't have to be the usual out-of-towner type place, the guys I'm meeting up with live in Dallas and San Antonio, so I'm pretty sure they're well versed in Tex-Mex and BBQ.  That said, there's nothing wrong with Tex-Mex or BBQ, so both are definitely in the running.  Doesn't have to be right on Anderson, just within a few miles is cool.

Ramen Tatsu-Ya on 183 has some outdoor seating

Edited by Michael Knight

• 1 month later...

not quite Anderson Lane,  but anybody tried Hook&Reel in Crossroads center yet? Yelp is glowing but i'm always a bit skeptical of new places that have nothing but 5 star glowing reviews 🤨 would be nice to have a good cajun place in the hood!

Edited by mchookem

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

not quite Anderson Lane,  but anybody tried Hook&Reel in Crossroads center yet? Yelp is glowing but i'm always a bit skeptical of new places that have nothing but 5 star glowing reviews 🤨 would be nice to have a good cajun place in the hood!

I thought the same thing after looking at Yelp. Another sign the reviews may be friends/family is that all the pics are by the restaurant. Real Yelp reviewers love to post their own pics.

On 10/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, mchookem said:

Its good, but I don't know if I would call it Cajun.  It's a chain, and more of seafood boil place.  i.e. you pick crab, shrimp, etc and they bring it out in plastic bags.  The bar looked cool, plenty of TVs and overall nice atmosphere.  They have traditional fried seafood offerings and I partook in a shrimp po'boy.  Asian influences in in the food and some decor, for example you get "house chips" when you sit down.  They're similar to shrimp puffs or toasts, etc.  It's not quite the Vietnamese / Cajun type place like a Deckhands (outstanding BTW).  In the pantheon of Austin seafood joints that are not "super nice" here is my rankings:

1. Deckhands.

2. The Boat (previous Sam's Boat)

3. Pacific Star

4. Hook & Reel

5. Catfish Parlour

6. Quality Seafood

Edited by bigbevo76
  • Like 1

thanks. we like Capt Benny's a lot for straight seafood fare. we used to go to Pacific Star regularly but the service just got to be too bad, too often. Quality has great oysters and clam chowder but every other thing i've had there is borderline terrible lol.

guess we'll give this place a try! 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, bigbevo76 said:

Its good, but I don't know if I would call it Cajun.  It's a chain, and more of seafood boil place.  i.e. you pick crab, shrimp, etc and they bring it out in plastic bags.  The bar looked cool, plenty of TVs and overall nice atmosphere.  They have traditional fried seafood offerings and I partook in a shrimp po'boy.  Asian influences in in the food and some decor, for example you get "house chips" when you sit down.  They're similar to shrimp puffs or toasts, etc.  It's not quite the Vietnamese / Cajun type place like a Deckhands (outstanding BTW).  In the pantheon of Austin seafood joints that are not "super nice" here is my rankings:

1. Deckhands.

2. The Boat (previous Sam's Boat)

3. Pacific Star

4. Hook & Reel

5. Catfish Parlour

6. Quality Seafood

Deckhand, Catfish Parlour, and Quality Seafood are in my rotation.

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

damn, that's a shame. went there every couple of months or so, i always enjoyed the cole slaw and hush puppies more than the catfish.

will need to get up there to buy a bunch of their bottled dressing!

This is pretty close to their cole slaw recipe:

http://grandmasrecipebooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/catfish-parlors-cole-slaw.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Why can't vegans and vegetarians eat meals that taste like plants?

Oh yeah, animals taste better.

Remember how Aaron Franklin used to have "Tempeh Chili Frito Pie" as an option at his trailer? 

Weird how that didn't make it over to his brick and mortar location. Oh wait, no it's not. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Why can't vegans and vegetarians eat meals that taste like plants?

Oh yeah, animals taste better.

Why are they trying to fool themselves by making their vegan food look like meat? 

You know you want a burger, so eat a fucking burger.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...