W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

13 hours ago, 3adays said:

Sign is up. District Kitchen & Coctails looks to be getting closer to opening in the old Suzi’s space. 

I'll give it a shot.  I haven't been to the South Austin location, but am usually willing to try any new neighborhood joint, especially to support a local chef. 

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone tried Haru Ramen on Anderson over by Northcross?  i just noticed it and looked at the menu online, and that looks pretty great - i see they have karaage which is one of my favorite dishes
thoughts?

They just renamed it from whatever it was called before. They wanted more separation between their sushi restaurant that kept the old name and this one that focuses on grilled meat and ramen.

I’ve had it a dozen times prior to the name change. It’s a step below Tatsuya but still really good. There’s one ramen in the menu that’s basically noodles in a pork gravy. It’s delicious.

8 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

has anyone tried Haru Ramen on Anderson over by Northcross?  i just noticed it and looked at the menu online, and that looks pretty great - i see they have karaage which is one of my favorite dishes

thoughts?

Haru sushi is the tits. I hope their ramen place is close to as good. 

west andersonish...

Ramen Tatsu-Ya owners opening shabu-shabu restaurant in North Austin

First they conquered ramen. Then they gave us a mash-up of the Japanese izakaya and Texas smokehouse genres. Now chef Tatsu Aikawa and the team behind Ramen Tatsu-Ya and Kemuri Tatsu-Ya are tackling shabu-shabu. The group will open DipDipDip Tatsu-Ya in June at 7301 Burnet Road, next to Tacodeli.

For the uninitiated, shabu-shabu is a hot-pot dining experience in which guests dip various proteins and delicacies into cooked broth and sauces tableside. The restaurant will be full service, open daily for dinner.

“Shabu-shabu. It’s the sound your food makes when being stirred and cooked through boiling broth. We started obsessing with broth when we opened Ramen Tatsu-Ya, then became obsessed with meats at Kemuri Tatsu-Ya. It’s a very natural progression for us,” Aikawa said. “Shabu-shabu is a very unique experience. It’s comforting and, of course, delicious.”

The food at DipDipDip will be presented on carts tableside, giving guests the opportunity to select their thinly sliced proteins, vegetables, broths, and dipping sauces. The menu will include items such as meatballs, pot pockets (stuffed tofu skins), fresh seafood, meat and vegetable skewers, specialty wontons, and house-made udon noodles.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190507/ramen-tatsu-ya-owners-opening-shabu-shabu-restaurant-in-north-austin

in.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah it was pricey but so is Jack Allens and Bartlett’s. Same price range. 

Hickory Burger at Jack Allens - $11

Hickory Burger at Bartlett's - $17

I don't know I would call them the same price range - having said that Bartlett's is much much better then Jack Allens and I would go to Bartlett's 10 out of 10 times given the choice. 

Most nicer restaurants in Austin has a clientele that is mostly young.  Jack Allen's on Anderson makes me feel like I'm eating at a restaurant in Cedar Park.  Clientele is MUCH older looking than the rest of the Austin restaurants.

Haru Ramen is very good.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, crash_davis said:

Most nicer restaurants in Austin has a clientele that is mostly young.  Jack Allen's on Anderson makes me feel like I'm eating at a restaurant in Cedar Park.  Clientele is MUCH older looking than the rest of the Austin restaurants.

Haru Ramen is very good.

It's all of us old fucks from NW Hills.

I mean... Luby's on Steck is right there.  And you don't have to cross Mopac.

Anyway, my parents-in-law who live in NW Hills recently invited us to dinner, at Jack Allen's of course.  They do this every few months, and I've had some good but not great food, but finally had the chicken-fried pork chop and that thing was delicious.  I have no idea why I wasn't ordering this every time.

Never noticed this thread before, hits close to home for this Crestview resident.

EyM, Little Deli, Tarka, Troy, Galaxy Cafe, Hao-Q are in steady rotation. Bartlett's for a fancier meal. Some of the bars in the area have decent kitchens too.

I dropped in to Troy one morning while getting gas at Valero, and the owner suggested a Turkish coffee.  He asked if I wanted sugar, and I said "no, just black".  He said "yeah, you want sugar, trust me".  "OK".

Holy crap, that coffee was like Quaker State mixed with kerosene.  It was good, but megastrong.  The sugar helped a bit.

Nice guy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 11:22 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I dropped in to Troy one morning while getting gas at Valero, and the owner suggested a Turkish coffee.  He asked if I wanted sugar, and I said "no, just black".  He said "yeah, you want sugar, trust me".  "OK".

Holy crap, that coffee was like Quaker State mixed with kerosene.  It was good, but megastrong.  The sugar helped a bit.

Nice guy.

I've stopped into Troy a few times. Good stuff. The fresh hummus, labneh, etc. they make slams.

• Like 1

I have no idea what Turkish food is, but I'll try it. Their webite has been flagged by anti-terrorist groups, it seems. 

But Andiamo is what I wanted to ask about. I see it's only open for dinner. Is there a bar where I can eat? Eating alone doesn't bother me, but dinner at an Italian restaurant has the potential to cross my insecurity line. Kinda like when you try to give yourself head, I suppose. 

• Haha 1

Andiamo is definitely open for lunch M-F.  I work nearby and eat there every once in awhile.  No bar service that I recall, but plenty of small tables where you won't look out of place, especially at lunch.  It's one of the best Italian restaurants in town, and you should definitely try it.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:12 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

I have no idea what Turkish food is, but I'll try it. Their webite has been flagged by anti-terrorist groups, it seems. 

Can you give a little background on this? I just did a really basic Google search and didn't get anything.

29 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Can you give a little background on this? I just did a really basic Google search and didn't get anything.

Oh I was just joking. When I went to it on my phone it gave me the Privacy Error Page. "your connection is not private".  that one. I don't know what causes those. 

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Dip Dip Dip Tatsu-Ya opened. Three pricing levels...$45/65/95 a person.

I think I’ll pass.

yikes.  where did you get those prices?  i don't see any on their site.  i'm wondering if those are the only three options, or if those are for the omakase, and if the a la carte options are priced much more ... reasonably?  as much as i love that type of food and trying new restaurants, i can't see paying $100-$200 and up for 2 people for hot pot.  maybe i'm missing something.

yikes.  where did you get those prices?  i don't see any on their site.  i'm wondering if those are the only three options, or if those are for the omakase, and if the a la carte options are priced much more ... reasonably?  as much as i love that type of food and trying new restaurants, i can't see paying $100-$200 and up for 2 people for hot pot.  maybe i'm missing something.

There are photos of the menu on Yelp. There is an a la carte price list also but generally you’d spend more doing that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 8:04 AM, CooterBrown said:

Had high hopes for Austin Kolache and Koffee which took over the Kolache Shoppe location. Everything is very good except they don’t use real sausage in the klobasniky. No self respecting bohemian would use the shit all these Austin joints pass off as sausage.

Update. Stopped in this morning and they've upgraded to bonafide hot gut sausage in the klobasniky. I was pleased.