W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

A little bit of a stretch for Anderson Ln but this thread needs more traffic..

Went to Julie's Noodles in the Target shopping center on 183 & Ohlen. Had the spicy beef noodle soup, which was delicious and spicy. I was sweating, drinking water and couldn't stop eating them. 
Wife had the soup dumplings, which she said was "okay", so may have been an off night for soup dumplings because reviews for the place have been raving about the soup dumplings.

Atmosphere is zero. It's similar to Asia Cafe. Serve yourself water/hot tea, silverware, bowls, etc.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, zman13 said:

Went to Julie's Noodles in the Target shopping center on 183 & Ohlen. Had the spicy beef noodle soup, which was delicious and spicy. I was sweating, drinking water and couldn't stop eating them. 
Wife had the soup dumplings, which she said was "okay", so may have been an off night for soup dumplings because reviews for the place have been raving about the soup dumplings.

Atmosphere is zero. It's similar to Asia Cafe. Serve yourself water/hot tea, silverware, bowls, etc.

i like julie's noodle's as a change up to my usual pho and ramen places (its not either of those) - the pork noodle soup and chicken noodle soup are both really good.  i swear the chicken one has at least a half a cut up chicken in it.  i think the pork is neck bones.  mmmm neck bone meat.

first time i went there it was mostly packed and we were the only white people in the place, and lots of chinese being spoken - i thought, "hmmm, good start."   walked up to the counter and peeked behind the folding screen that separates the front counter and the kitchen - and saw an old man asleep on an old army style cot in the middle of the kitchen - "definitely in the right place."  i keep a jar of the chili oil from there in my fridge at all times (sold from the cooler with the sodas).

On 8/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, zman13 said:

If we're extending to the Target area, Tan My on Ohlen is legit.

Not that we're really hurting for decent pizza in the area, but anybody familiar with Tony C's?

Coal-fired Austin pizzeria Tony C’s is opening two locations of a new, more casual restaurant, Tony C’s Pizza and Beer Garden. The restaurants will open at 2900 West Anderson Lane and in Round Rock at 3800 East Palm Valley Boulevard in 2020.

The new fast-casual restaurant will have a “red-sauce Italian vibe,” per a press release, and will serve a similar menu to Tony C’s original restaurant. That means coal-fired pizzas in addition to items like meatballs, pastas, and salads. There will also be 20 beers on draft as well as a few wines on tap.

As an extension of the family-style atmosphere, seating will include long, communal tables good for groups, and dishes sized for sharing.

55 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Not that we're really hurting for decent pizza in the area, but anybody familiar with Tony C's?

When it opened in the Hill Country Galleria, it got rave reviews. Had it once back then and it was great. However, that was just at the beginning of the Austin Pizza Renaissance when House Pizzeria was tops in town. So, I don't know how it compares to the top tier nowadays.

Edited by CooterBrown

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

its been a while since i've been the one at the HCG, but I used to get slices from there all the time - its legit.  it would probably be my #2 choice in that area of town

On 8/7/2018 at 9:55 PM, gsoda3 said:

Isn't there a Whataburger right there?

Yeah its been a year but I need to respond to this.  I love Whataburger. I think we all do.  It was one of the few places I truely missed living in Kansas City.  I was so desperate that I googled the closest one to KC.  turned out it was Tulsa.  Me and 2 other Texas grads I had met in KC made a roadtrip on a spring Sat morning to Tulsa to have Whataburger, we then basically turned around and drove the 5 hours home after just having lunch.

That being said, the Whataburger on Anderson Lane is slowest fucking restaurant in the history of the chain.

And I dont say that without proof.  Back in '09 the esteemed @Macanudo posted a job on the old site that made you a secret shopper for Whataburger,.

I applied, got the job and for about 3.5 years, I got paid to eat at WB around 2 times a month.  I had to travel to the various WB's around the city (I lived in Cedar Park at the time, so in 09-10 I was mostly testing places North like 1431, Round Rock, Lakeline, etc), but mostly the ones closest to me.  in '11 I moved the 78757, and got lots of visits to the 2 diff  WB's on N Lamar, along with the one near Star Furniture, Campus, Parmer Lane, and, of course, Anderson Ln.  Part of being a secret shopper was I had to record and time everything (did it with my phone).   Every other WB would take my sit-down order within 20 seconds unless there was a line.  Anderson Ln was consistently more than 45 seconds.  Then the actual order would arrive.  with every other WB it was usually within 4 mins.  Anderson Ln was almost always over 6 mins, (secret shoppers were told 4 mins was the goal) and several times it was over 10 mins- the place was busy, but not packed.  and then there were the drive through orders.

Every other WB from the time your order was placed, to getting your food, no matter how many cars were in front of you, was 6 mins or less.  I distinctly remember ordering a Breakfast on Bun from the Parmer Ln location and with 4 cars ahead of me, I ordered, was waiting in line after having paid at the first window, and my secret shopper report showed from order to me leaving the drive through lane (an employee came out and handed me the food while still waiting to get to the 2nd window) was 95 seconds.

Contrast that with Anderson Ln.  Its gotten to the point now, where i am driving West on Anderson Ln and look over at the drive through line, if there are more than 2 cars in line, I keep going to somewhere else. 

Those fucks literally cant serve food faster than 5 mins PER CAR, and I know it takes 3-5 mins to cook the food, Im not complaining about the cook time, I am complaining that somehow that store literally cant fucking start making the next order until you are at the pay window.  So it doesnt matter if there are no cars in front of you, or 4, you wait 5 mins per car on average.   Ive actually driven to the N Lamar location near DPS  rather than go to the Anderson Ln one.   about 2 years ago, I went for breakfast on a Saturday, ordered a breakfast on bun (same as the Parmer Ln story above), there were 2 cars in front of me. Both cars paid for their meal, and then were clearly told they needed to park in a spot because it wasnt ready. I get to the window, I specifically ask is everything OK because the last 2 guys didnt get their food, and was told, no issue.

I pay for the meal, and Im IMMEDIATELY told that I also need to go park because there are people behind me and my order isnt ready.... its a fucking Breakfast on Bun, takes less than 4 mins even if you fuck it up twice. i was not happy, asked him dude, I specifically asked if everything was good and you said it was... where is the food. I can either cause a major scene (and get my food spit on or, or suck it up) I was no longer doing the secret shopper thing at that point, but I go ahead and time how long I sit waiting. It takes 12 mins for me to get the BOB order.  And thats after the 4-5 mins of being in line as well.  All my secret shopper reports kept giving the feedback that the store is slow as shit, and that 12 min BOB order receipt gave me the random questionnaire.   I filled it out and excoriated the restaurant, the General Manager called me and got the whole story and tried to tell me it was because there are a lot of new people in the place, I shut her down, told her the secret shopper story and swore off  visiting that store place unless I have absolutely nowhere to be for an hour afterwards, and I can just dine in.   It really pains me to not even consider eating there but they just fucking suck as a fast food restaurant.

• Like 2

that's hilarious.  i was a secret shopper for whataburger also during that same time period.  only did it for a year and a half though, so this was end of 2009 to beginning of 2011.  i don't remember anything egregiously terrible about the anderson lane location. 

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Yeah its been a year but I need to respond to this.  I love Whataburger. I think we all do.  It was one of the few places I truely missed living in Kansas City.  I was so desperate that I googled the closest one to KC.  turned out it was Tulsa.  Me and 2 other Texas grads I had met in KC made a roadtrip on a spring Sat morning to Tulsa to have Whataburger, we then basically turned around and drove the 5 hours home after just having lunch.

That being said, the Whataburger on Anderson Lane is slowest fucking restaurant in the history of the chain.

And I dont say that without proof.  Back in '09 the esteemed @Macanudo posted a job on the old site that made you a secret shopper for Whataburger,.

I applied, got the job and for about 3.5 years, I got paid to eat at WB around 2 times a month.  I had to travel to the various WB's around the city (I lived in Cedar Park at the time, so in 09-10 I was mostly testing places North like 1431, Round Rock, Lakeline, etc), but mostly the ones closest to me.  in '11 I moved the 78757, and got lots of visits to the 2 diff  WB's on N Lamar, along with the one near Star Furniture, Campus, Parmer Lane, and, of course, Anderson Ln.  Part of being a secret shopper was I had to record and time everything (did it with my phone).   Every other WB would take my sit-down order within 20 seconds unless there was a line.  Anderson Ln was consistently more than 45 seconds.  Then the actual order would arrive.  with every other WB it was usually within 4 mins.  Anderson Ln was almost always over 6 mins, (secret shoppers were told 4 mins was the goal) and several times it was over 10 mins- the place was busy, but not packed.  and then there were the drive through orders.

Every other WB from the time your order was placed, to getting your food, no matter how many cars were in front of you, was 6 mins or less.  I distinctly remember ordering a Breakfast on Bun from the Parmer Ln location and with 4 cars ahead of me, I ordered, was waiting in line after having paid at the first window, and my secret shopper report showed from order to me leaving the drive through lane (an employee came out and handed me the food while still waiting to get to the 2nd window) was 95 seconds.

Contrast that with Anderson Ln.  Its gotten to the point now, where i am driving West on Anderson Ln and look over at the drive through line, if there are more than 2 cars in line, I keep going to somewhere else. 

Those fucks literally cant serve food faster than 5 mins PER CAR, and I know it takes 3-5 mins to cook the food, Im not complaining about the cook time, I am complaining that somehow that store literally cant fucking start making the next order until you are at the pay window.  So it doesnt matter if there are no cars in front of you, or 4, you wait 5 mins per car on average.   Ive actually driven to the N Lamar location near DPS  rather than go to the Anderson Ln one.   about 2 years ago, I went for breakfast on a Saturday, ordered a breakfast on bun (same as the Parmer Ln story above), there were 2 cars in front of me. Both cars paid for their meal, and then were clearly told they needed to park in a spot because it wasnt ready. I get to the window, I specifically ask is everything OK because the last 2 guys didnt get their food, and was told, no issue.

I pay for the meal, and Im IMMEDIATELY told that I also need to go park because there are people behind me and my order isnt ready.... its a fucking Breakfast on Bun, takes less than 4 mins even if you fuck it up twice. i was not happy, asked him dude, I specifically asked if everything was good and you said it was... where is the food. I can either cause a major scene (and get my food spit on or, or suck it up) I was no longer doing the secret shopper thing at that point, but I go ahead and time how long I sit waiting. It takes 12 mins for me to get the BOB order.  And thats after the 4-5 mins of being in line as well.  All my secret shopper reports kept giving the feedback that the store is slow as shit, and that 12 min BOB order receipt gave me the random questionnaire.   I filled it out and excoriated the restaurant, the General Manager called me and got the whole story and tried to tell me it was because there are a lot of new people in the place, I shut her down, told her the secret shopper story and swore off  visiting that store place unless I have absolutely nowhere to be for an hour afterwards, and I can just dine in.   It really pains me to not even consider eating there but they just fucking suck as a fast food restaurant.

Solid rant. I'd be shocked if any Whataburger is slower on average than the one on 35 by the Lodge poker room. Also, that whataburger secret shopper deal was legit. I probably copped about 10 meals though that gig as well. If I recall, you couldn't special order (grilled japs/onions), but the price was right.

Maybe a long shot here, but any of you buy coffee from any of the places around this area? I mean bags of coffee for the house. 
I'm not a coffee drinker but those that are have remarked that they liked the selection at Sunrise Mini Mart (on Anderson/Rutgers).
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Deej said:

Place always seemed dead.

its a walk up counter and delivery place, with no seating so not sure i'd ever expect it to be packed out with people.

that said, we used to get delivery from them every couple months or so - and last time i went and picked up my pie while waiting and saw all the dudes working there and thought, "i'm not sure i want this pizza after all."  rough.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I went once to grab a couple of slices and the experience in general was pretty bad.  The pizza wasn't that good, the place was a dump, and the general vibe of the employees screamed "got fired from Thundercloud for lack of hygiene".  

So, like Conan's but without the delicious pizza?

• Like 3

On 8/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

Still better than Parmer lane. I’d almost move back to Allandale for the upgrade. Almost...

On 8/27/2019 at 8:05 AM, utee94 said:

Word up.  The mole man's pho isn't just legit, it's the best in Austin.

And possibly, the world.

I think your old posts on Tan My turned me on to it and it is awesome; however based on the broth and quality of ingredients I’d put the pho at Le Bleu up there as one of the very best in town.  Only one beef variety available, but it is perfection (with sliced fresh japs added). 

Word up.  The mole man's pho isn't just legit, it's the best in Austin.

And possibly, the world.

We kinda thought that...then, one of my daughter’s friends, a Vietnamese German, from a full Vietnamese family, visited us this summer. We took her there to show it off. She was pretty meh on it - said her mother’s was light years better. Makes me want to try her mother’s.
She made spring rolls for us, and they were damned legit.
Also, I literally just ate a #4 from the Anderson Whataburger. Wife and the boy picked it up....and it took forever.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:30 PM, Neonmoon said:

They need to upgrade a lot of places on W. Anderson 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, Bolero88 said:

Why? What do you mean?

The cat lady sewing stores by Jack Allen’s. Pretty much the entire shopping center that Starbucks is in besides Starbucks. A couple places in the Bartletts shopping center. 

On 9/13/2019 at 7:58 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I went once to grab a couple of slices and the experience in general was pretty bad.  The pizza wasn't that good, the place was a dump, and the general vibe of the employees screamed "got fired from Thundercloud for lack of hygiene".  

A few months ago I was in the Sunrise Mini Mart next door when a dude walked in who smelled like he had been over at Enchiladas y Mas rolling in piles of three-week-old raw onion enchiladas. The guy bought a sixer of tall boys and walked out and I was grateful I could finally exhale again. Anyway, I walk out and over to Eastside and who is behind the counter sweating puddles into my pie but Taco Bell Enchirito boy himself.

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We kinda thought that...then, one of my daughter’s friends, a Vietnamese German, from a full Vietnamese family, visited us this summer. We took her there to show it off. She was pretty meh on it - said her mother’s was light years better. Makes me want to try her mother’s.
She made spring rolls for us, and they were damned legit.
Also, I literally just ate a #4 from the Anderson Whataburger. Wife and the boy picked it up....and it took forever.

Eh, I mean, generally someone who knows how to do it can make ANY dish better than a restaurant.  My brisket is better than any restaurant brisket I've ever eaten-- yes, even that place.  I'm not boasting, it's just that I can put every ounce of energy into what I'm cooking, which is way easier than preparing hundreds of pounds of commercial brisket for thousands of people per day.

So unless/until your daughter's friend's mother is willing and able to make pho for me any time I want it, then I'll go ahead and stick to my guns on this one. :)

23 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I think your old posts on Tan My turned me on to it and it is awesome; however based on the broth and quality of ingredients I’d put the pho at Le Bleu up there as one of the very best in town.  Only one beef variety available, but it is perfection (with sliced fresh japs added). 

Cool, I'll try it, I'm always looking for great pho.

Invariably though, I'm always disappointed that I didn't just go to Tan My.  That includes every place in Austin that anyone has ever suggested to me.